Seriously considering cutting the "cable" cord.

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:51 am
G08 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:30 am

What route did you go? I'm fucking with SlingTV right now... not bad!
Right now we are just doing Hulu, Prime, Netflix etc. We don't want much live TV and the only thing I'm having withdrawals on is NFLN. Does Sling have that?
It sure does
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:19 pm
wab wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:51 am

Right now we are just doing Hulu, Prime, Netflix etc. We don't want much live TV and the only thing I'm having withdrawals on is NFLN. Does Sling have that?
It sure does
Well that's a game changer then.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

For Locals looking to Cord Cut - (I'm recent to this) - Antenna has been solid But purchase today (looks like they are running a special) is the TIVO Bolt OTA (Also strongly considered the Amazon Recast)

Let's you DVR the Over the Air Antenna - Fixes my Bears issues on that (I think)
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:00 pm For Locals looking to Cord Cut - (I'm recent to this) - Antenna has been solid But purchase today (looks like they are running a special) is the TIVO Bolt OTA (Also strongly considered the Amazon Recast)

Let's you DVR the Over the Air Antenna - Fixes my Bears issues on that (I think)
I'm still panicking a little about not having DTV during football season. I've had Season Ticket for like 17 years. Now I feel like I left the house without pants on.
Xee
Site Admin

RichH55 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:00 pm For Locals looking to Cord Cut - (I'm recent to this) - Antenna has been solid But purchase today (looks like they are running a special) is the TIVO Bolt OTA (Also strongly considered the Amazon Recast)

Locals as in local to Chicago? If so, how is your antenna at pulling in CBS? I can get most other other channels with my cheap antenna but CBS and PBS are impossible. I know a couple of other people close to me who have much better antennas and even they struggle with getting in CBS.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Xee wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:25 am

Locals as in local to Chicago? If so, how is your antenna at pulling in CBS? I can get most other other channels with my cheap antenna but CBS and PBS are impossible. I know a couple of other people close to me who have much better antennas and even they struggle with getting in CBS.
Have the same issue here in Arizona. I'm thinking it's not a coincidence.
G08
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:25 am

I bought a Channel Master for $17.50 after shipping and it works like a charm in the city

wab
Mod

Cool. I cut the cord and Sling ditches NFLN. Seems about right.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:15 pm Cool. I cut the cord and Sling ditches NFLN. Seems about right.
I was just going to say... you FUCKED us! :lol:

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:50 pm
wab wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:15 pm Cool. I cut the cord and Sling ditches NFLN. Seems about right.
I'm starting to panic man. I have zero way to watch football that isn't related to the Cowboys.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:17 am
G08 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:50 pm

I'm starting to panic man. I have zero way to watch football that isn't related to the Cowboys.
There are ways, my friend. I've got your back!

docc
Head Coach

...yes..just a click away..
Umbali
MVP

Where do you go for streaming Bears games? Im in Atlanta and I NEED my Bears games
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
G08
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:44 pm Where do you go for streaming Bears games? Im in Atlanta and I NEED my Bears games
Sent you a PM

Noots
Assistant Coach

I just dropped Sling last month after a few years of having them--they no longer carry NBC Sports Chicago (Sox, Bulls, Hawks), and their number of locals has dropped a bunch. I'm paying close to the same amount for YouTube TV and it gets me NBC Sports Chicago, and all my locals (especially that pesky CBS where the antenna is a challenge) except for WGN, which I can easily pull in via my antenna.

Wow, just after posting this I received an email from YouTubeTV that they've just added NFL Network (was sad to lose that on Sling and not have it here) to the base package. Also, there's a sports pack that you can add for an additional 10 bucks/month that will include RedZone Network.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Remembered this topic and figured I'd come over to thank everyone and express my glee that I'm about to cut the cable!

We've had Frontier in my neighborhood for the last 2 weeks installing Fiber Optic. I've been so sick of Comcast and their games that I explored Frontier as an option. We can get 500mbps internet for $40 this year and $50/mo after that. Comcast has never quoted me under $80/mo for just internet and I'm getting about 220mbps down and 40mbps up with them the last I checked.

I had explored the streaming options before and figured Sling Orange + Blue would be the choice, since I installed my own antenna and wouldn't need the local channels. But for $10 more I think I'm going to go the Youtube TV route, since they have unlimited show recordings that stay available for 9 months. And as a side benefit, they offer a $10 discount on my Youtube TV for a year as well.

Of course, the best part is that Mrs. Five has finally agreed to cut the cord! Woohoo! I like saving $100/mo.

Anyone have any useful info about YoutubeTV positive or negative?

One thing I'm trying to figure out is what equipment I'm going to have from Frontier. They told me I'd get an Amazon eero6 router, but they also told me I'd have 2 ethernet ports available, which doesn't make sense. What is going to be coming into my home? Ethernet? I wouldn't think they'd run fiber all the way up to my house. That plugs into what? My eero6 router, leaving me only 1 port not 2?

If anyone has Frontier Fiber internet, please let me know how it is at your place.

Thanks in advance for any input! :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

My wife just recently bought this thing called superbox from amazon. 1300+ live TV channels, probably 1000 movies and 800ish tv shows to stream.
The live TV has every sports game available. NFL, MBA, NHL, NBA etc.
Supposedly just a 1 time $300 fee for the equipment.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:07 pm My wife just recently bought this thing called superbox from amazon. 1300+ live TV channels, probably 1000 movies and 800ish tv shows to stream.
https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/exclu ... ked-piracy

interesting
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:07 pm My wife just recently bought this thing called superbox from amazon. 1300+ live TV channels, probably 1000 movies and 800ish tv shows to stream.
I looked at that on Amazon. But the reviews scared me away, primarily the lack of support.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Trying to talk the wife out of Direct TV Stream. With Roku and so many apps, I think it's a complete waste of money. I can watch sporting events on Dofu Stream and, hopefully, next year the NFL goes to some kind of streaming package which is better than the abomination they offered this year.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:33 am Trying to talk the wife out of Direct TV Stream. With Roku and so many apps, I think it's a complete waste of money. I can watch sporting events on Dofu Stream and, hopefully, next year the NFL goes to some kind of streaming package which is better than the abomination they offered this year.
DirecTV stream SUCKS dude. Don’t do it!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:16 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:33 am Trying to talk the wife out of Direct TV Stream. With Roku and so many apps, I think it's a complete waste of money. I can watch sporting events on Dofu Stream and, hopefully, next year the NFL goes to some kind of streaming package which is better than the abomination they offered this year.
DirecTV stream SUCKS dude. Don’t do it!
I just re-negotiated my monthly fee downward by 25% so I'm feeling good about that. Direct TV Stream is not the satelilte service. But I'm going to look at YouTube TV now that they have the NFL games.
wab
Mod

I'm happy that YouTube TV is going to get games so I can stop squinting at grainy/lagged video on SportsSurge. The Bears haven't really been worth watching, so it's been tolerable.

What's funny is that looking back I was really wanting to save on the cost of DirecTV...and now I have Hulu, Netflix, Disney Plus, HBO Max, YouTube TV, and Prime...and will soo be yet again paying for some football package.

It's basically just DirecTV again- with extra steps.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I did it! And I did it the right way. I stopped badgering my wife about the cost and let her make the call. Comcast raised their price another $20 out of the blue and my wife--who had just gone to the Comcast store a month earlier to get them to lower the rate by only $20--got fed up and told me to move forward with getting the Frontier fiber. I got the 1gb service with Youtube TV package. My speed test went from 220M down/20M up to 390M down/215M up. And I once the intro prices shift to the permanent rate, I saved about $80/month.

The great news is that my wife feels guilty that we didn't change earlier. The only unexpected downside was that my 7-year old "smart" LG TV had no way to add Youtube TV, so I had to move my Roku Ultra box from the living room to our bedroom where we watch 99% of the TV. Then I had to purchase another Roku Ultra ($80 black friday deal $20 off) for the living room TV.

Serendipity... My wife asked me to change everything while she was visiting her mom in FL for 2 weeks. Her mom also has a Roku, so she was already starting the habit of using that regularly. Youtube TV allows you to hide and re-order the channel list, which I did for her, putting her preferred channels at the top and hiding about half that we'll never use. That is quite a nice feature as is the web DVR which I've already used to rewatch the Lions and Blackhawks games. We also got some additional channels like TCM, which really appeals to my wife. And NFL Network, which has some stuff I never had before.

The only downside to Frontier is that their customer service isn't great. I got in a tiff with someone in the chat who tried to tell me that "up to" and "at least" mean the same thing. OK I get it, English isn't your first language. And this was a supervisor! Also, a sales guy quoted me incorrect pricing for the Youtube TV, although in fairness, I already knew what the pricing should have been in the first place. I pitched a fit about being quoted one price then being billed another, insisting that they should honor what they told me. That got me nowhere, but was what I expected.

All in all, my wife and I are very pleased so far, which of course is the most important thing! :thumbsup:

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I had comcast for my internet provider and they were charging way too much. My side of town finally got the i3 fiber optic going so opted into that. It is saving my $100 a month. No change in speed either. You can rent what they call extenders. I plug one into an outlet in my garage and don't lose service when out mowing or drinking on the patio.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I went to YouTube TV on January 1, my cable company jacked up prices to a level which pirates would be embarassed to do. Pretty darned good so far, nice mix of enough channels so we're not missing everything. I went with the NFL football package for the last 2 weeks of the season (about $40). It allowed us to watch 4 NFL games simulataneously, which was a blast. I'll bite the bullet and get the full NFL package next season, hoping they offer a significant discount to existing YouTube TV users.
dplank
Hall of Famer

YouTube TV is great IMO. Switched from DirecTV when the ly got the NFL deal and I’m very happy with it (saves a bunch of $$ also). I was on DirecTV for 20+ years.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I just bought an indoor digital TV antenna to try it out so I'm not 3 plays behind everybody on the games in Discord. Wish me luck.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:26 am I just bought an indoor digital TV antenna to try it out so I'm not 3 plays behind everybody on the games in Discord. Wish me luck.
I was going to buy an antennae but I'm too far to pull in many channels. I like YouTube TV so far and the NFL package is the cherry on top.
Xee
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:26 am I just bought an indoor digital TV antenna to try it out so I'm not 3 plays behind everybody on the games in Discord. Wish me luck.
This is what I do since I’m in the Chicago area. Even have a setup where I can record to my laptop in case I’m going to be out of the house when a game is on. Only channel I can’t pull in is CBS since their tower is pretty far away and I’d need to get an outdoor antenna to have a hope of getting it.