Top 2023 OL Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

So we all know we need to fix the OL. My feeling is that EDGE is the first pick for the Bears, and then OL. My ignorance is going to come from not knowing which of the OL prospects are going to fit the run/pass game that Getsy wants to run. It's hard to know after the bag of dog shit that we threw out on the field last year.

Let's assume that the OL that stick are - Jones, Whitehair, Jenkins. Who in the draft is a good fit for this offense? Skoronski, Torrence, Jones, Bergeron?

I'd like to see the Bears take an OL in the first round, and then 2-3 more in the later rounds. All in all, if the Bears play the trade back game effectively, they should be able to secure a total of 10-12 picks this year.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

In my opinion, the top 10 guys that look like they fit what the Bears want from their offensive linemen:
  • P. Skowronski, Northwestern (athletic and technically sound, Bears most likely see him at G due to his length)
  • P. Johnson, Ohio St (some questions about his feet but he's looked better at T than he did at G last season)
  • A. Harrison, Oklahoma (my personal favorite, kind of a Braxton Jones type, think he goes late Day 1 tho)
  • B. Freeland, BYU (all the physical tools but raw as sushi and hasn't played top competition)
  • R. Stromberg, Arkansas (marginal athletically by NFL standards but started four years in the SEC, has played C and G)
  • J. Patterson, Notre Dame (experience at both C and G, plug and play but might never be much better than he currently is)
  • L. Wypler, Ohio St (likely C only, not strong enough and may need an IR redshirt year)
  • J. Kirkland, Washington (athletic and has played G and T, some injury history and will be a 25 yr old rookie)
  • C. Galvin, Baylor (athletic with smarts and strength, technically a complete mess)
  • J. Tippmann, Wisconsin (athletic freak who's likely to ace the Combine, needs to get stronger and overcome leverage issues)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Nice list thunder :thumbsup:

If we’re looking at value too I’d take a look at Carter Warren from Pittsburgh and Tyler Steen Alabama.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

malk
Head Coach

Who is the best right tackle prospect and where do they project to be taken?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:06 pm
Let's assume that the OL that stick are - Jones, Whitehair, Jenkins. Who in the draft is a good fit for this offense? Skoronski, Torrence, Jones, Bergeron?
I don't want to poop on your hypothetical, but my guess is that Whitehair doesn't return - unless they spend less offseason resource on OL than I expect or Teven's health is an even bigger concern that we think.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:45 am Who is the best right tackle prospect and where do they project to be taken?
Well...
do you mean "the prospect who would play RT the best"? Then that's going to be a guy like Paris, who would be slotted at LT by most teams.

Do you mean "the best prospect who is viewed solely as a RT"? Most of those guys are the gargantuan Aaron Gibson, Falaleelee, Dawand Jones types, who I strongly dislike. Bad body/fatass OL drops way down my board. Too much bust percentage. The only name that pops to mind for me as someone whose chances I kinda like at RT, but wouldn't have much faith in them at LT is Kirkland. He still might end up at G, but I think decent and better chance than some are giving him to hold up at RT.

wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:18 pm
malk wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:45 am Who is the best right tackle prospect and where do they project to be taken?
Well...
do you mean "the prospect who would play RT the best"? Then that's going to be a guy like Paris, who would be slotted at LT by most teams.

Do you mean "the best prospect who is viewed solely as a RT"? Most of those guys are the gargantuan Aaron Gibson, Falaleelee, Dawand Jones types, who I strongly dislike. Bad body/fatass OL drops way down my board. Too much bust percentage. The only name that pops to mind for me as someone whose chances I kinda like at RT, but wouldn't have much faith in them at LT is Kirkland. He still might end up at G, but I think decent and better chance than some are giving him to hold up at RT.
I think Freeland could be a good RT.

Anton Harrison, Zion Nelson, Jaelyn Duncan, Ryan Hays, Alex Palczewski, Trevor Reid...all athletic LT types that could fit nicely at RT.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:48 am In my opinion, the top 10 guys that look like they fit what the Bears want from their offensive linemen:
  • P. Skowronski, Northwestern (athletic and technically sound, Bears most likely see him at G due to his length)
  • P. Johnson, Ohio St (some questions about his feet but he's looked better at T than he did at G last season)
  • A. Harrison, Oklahoma (my personal favorite, kind of a Braxton Jones type, think he goes late Day 1 tho)
  • B. Freeland, BYU (all the physical tools but raw as sushi and hasn't played top competition)
  • R. Stromberg, Arkansas (marginal athletically by NFL standards but started four years in the SEC, has played C and G)
  • J. Patterson, Notre Dame (experience at both C and G, plug and play but might never be much better than he currently is)
  • L. Wypler, Ohio St (likely C only, not strong enough and may need an IR redshirt year)
  • J. Kirkland, Washington (athletic and has played G and T, some injury history and will be a 25 yr old rookie)
  • C. Galvin, Baylor (athletic with smarts and strength, technically a complete mess)
  • J. Tippmann, Wisconsin (athletic freak who's likely to ace the Combine, needs to get stronger and overcome leverage issues)

A lot of overlap
My top Bear targets are:

J. Patterson (C/G), Notre Dame
B. Freeland (OT), BYU
J. Kirkland (RT/G), Washington
P. Johnson (OT), Ohio St - nice luxury to have, but I'm more interested in DL at his draft level
J. Duncan (T/G), Maryland - could also have given his name as best RT candidate, run blocking is ahead of pass, arms might be lacking
C. Galvin (OT), Baylor
C. Warren (RT), Pitt - kinda new to my radar, everything sounds sufficient, don't know about the injury though
J. Tippmann (G/C/T), Wisconsin - Love the athleticism. I think he probably ought to move to G or T, but my patience for position bouncing and development is low by now
C. Mauch (G), N Dakota - Love him as a G prospect, but G isn't a real priority for me (get a C, RT and let everyone else fight over G is my plan). Even with the alligator arms, probably doesn't fall far enough.

malk
Head Coach

Well...

The former, and thanks. You'd think we'd need a 2nd 1st rounder to get Paris but that might be a viable option, here's hoping.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Trick question. ;)

Braxton Jones and he's already on the team.

LT should be a high profile guy. Either a big money FA or a high round draft choice.

My thought on this is to focus on the LT prospects if FA doesn't pan out and use a high round trade down pick or our remaining second rounder on the LT.
EricTighe
MVP

Well...

[/quote]

Well that's is in his opinion.

Mine is completely different.

IMO Dawand Jones is the best Offensive line prospect in this draft. He is not the monster that Aaron Gibson, Falaleelee, are since he is listed at under 360 right now so think Orlando Brown who has turned out ok. Jones is a beast of a man. His hands are almost 12". He is 6'8" and has 36" arms. His wingspan is almost 90". He has improved every year, so there is proof of a desire to improve. If this kid loses 20 lbs he could end up being the steal of the draft. Orlando Brown dropped to the third round and this kid could be there at the end of the second.

Remember what Eberflus said about the type of players he like. He likes them lengthy, tall and fast. I don't expect Jones to run that fast of a 40 but you don't need to when your OT. So 2 out of 3 makes him a prime candidate for the Bears.

"Per Pro Football Focus, Jones allowed no sacks and only five pressures among 393 pass rush snaps. His overall blocking grade of 82.6 ranked eighth nationally among all tackles.

Players with Jones’ combination of size and athleticism are rare even at the top levels of college football. That does not make it any less impressive that he maximized those gifts at OSU, with potentially more development and improvement to come at the next level."

Not sure how you have 82.6 rating allowing no sacks and only 5 pressures all year. Still believe PFF raises and lower numbers according to how well they like guys. He ranked 8th in pass blocking when the guy allows the least amount of pressures in college. Thats strange.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

EricTighe wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:51 am
IMO Dawand Jones is the best Offensive line prospect in this draft. He is not the monster that Aaron Gibson, Falaleelee, are since he is listed at under 360 right now so think Orlando Brown who has turned out ok. Jones is a beast of a man. His hands are almost 12". He is 6'8" and has 36" arms. His wingspan is almost 90". He has improved every year, so there is proof of a desire to improve. If this kid loses 20 lbs he could end up being the steal of the draft. Orlando Brown dropped to the third round and this kid could be there at the end of the second.
I understand Moriarty's concerns about some of the massive tackles who move too slow etc. but do not agree with that logic when it comes to Jones.

He moves well for such a huge person and played basketball in HS... I have no doubt that he would lose a few pounds with Flus' level of conditioning.

Think he would be a steal in the 3rd and would be fine if we were to take him with our 2nd rd pick.

https_usatodayhss.com/?url=https%3A%2F% ... basketball
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Top OT free agents:

Orlando Brown, Chiefs: 26 years old. Not elite although will ask for top dollar. Allowed 4 sacks and 47 pressures in '22. Has already played in 2 different offensive systems so should be able to learn Bears'. Would necessitate shifting Braxton Jones to RT

Mike McGlinchey: 49ers, a system similar to the wide-zone blocking scheme used by the Bears. Run-block grade of 71.8 (12th) among tackles in '22 for guys playing at least 80% of their team's snaps. Gave up 6 sacks and 27 pressures. Has played RT for the 49ers.

Jawaan Taylor, Jags: Allowed pressures on 2.5% of dropbacks. RT. If Jags re-sign him, might open up obtaining Walker Little, who did well in '22.

Guys at OG:
Ben Powers: Ravens. 26 years old. 0 sacks, 1 QB hit in '22. Was Ravens OL man of the week 8 times in '22.

Dalton Risner:Broncos. 27 years old. 3 sacks, 6 hits in 598 pass plays at LG in '22

Nate Davis: Titans. 26 years old. 3 sacks, 1 hit in 385 passing plays at RG in '22
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

Give me Powers and McGlinchy.

I also like Kaleb McGary and David Edwards.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

These are the top 5 OT available in FA according to PFF :

1. OT MIKE MCGLINCHEY, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
Free agent rank: 9

McGlinchey hasn’t quite lived up to his top-10 pick billing coming out of the 2018 NFL NFL Draft, but he is a quality starter at right tackle who has returned to form after suffering a torn quadriceps in 2021. He’s dealt with various minor injuries over the years but has done well to avoid missing much time overall.

McGlinchey is a perfect fit in Kyle Shanahan’s wide-zone rushing attack, with his 85.4 run-blocking grade since he entered the league a top-10 mark among tackles. He still has room to grow as a pass protector but notably dropped his pressure percentage allowed from 6.1% over his first three seasons to 5.1% over the past two.

2. OT ORLANDO BROWN JR., KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Free agent rank: 10

After threatening to hold out for the 2022 season following a franchise-tag saga that didn’t culminate in a long-term deal, Brown turned a slow start into a strong second half protecting quarterback Patrick Mahomes. From Week 10 to the end of the regular season, Brown’s 88.7 pass-blocking grade ranked third best among left tackles.

He may not become one of the game’s true top tackles given his much-maligned athletic limitations, but he’s a very reliable blindside protector who has succeeded in two diametrically opposed offensive schemes.

3. OT KALEB MCGARY, ATLANTA FALCONS
Free agent rank: 29

McGary, a first-round pick in 2019, had his fifth-year option declined for 2023 and responded with a career year that sets him up nicely. The Falcons may consider a franchise tag, but the approximately $18.25 million price may be too rich in their eyes.

McGary’s 91.6 run-blocking grade ranked second among tackles, trailing only the great Trent Williams, with 19.7% of his run-blocking snaps earning a positive grade, which also placed second best. The concern here will be if he’s a beneficiary of the NFL’s run-heaviest offense and if his 66.9 pass-blocking grade — a career-best — can continue to improve in years to come.

4. OT JAWAAN TAYLOR, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
Free agent rank: 35

Taylor had a career year as a pass protector, earning his highest pass-blocking grade with a 76.4 mark that landed him in the top 25 among tackles on the year. Taylor allowed pressure on just 2.5% of dropbacks, the third-lowest mark among tackles in the NFL, though quarterback Trevor Lawrence’s lightning-quick 2.51-second average time to throw certainly helped. However, Taylor’s 76.7 pass-blocking grade on true pass sets still ranked 14th among tackles and his 5.2% pressure rate allowed was a top-10 mark.

On the other hand, Taylor had the highest rate of negatively graded run blocks among tackles in the NFL (22.4%). This is, of course, the less important aspect of tackle play, but it’s undoubtedly still a cause for concern if a lineman is earning a negative grade on more than one out of every five rushing plays.

5. OT KELVIN BEACHUM, ARIZONA CARDINALS
Free agent rank: 42

Beachum earned his 10th straight season-long pass-blocking grade above 70.0 and showed few signs of slowing down at 33 years old, logging over 1,100 snaps with a revolving door of lineman teammates at each of the other four positions all season long.

He’s limited as a run blocker, and that won’t change, but you know what you’re going to get with Beachum at right tackle, and you’re likely going to get tremendous value considering he’s coming off a two-year, $4 million deal signed in 2021.
EricTighe
MVP

How can anyone have McGlinchey over Brown unless it is based on a personal preference? I think PFF is proving their numbers are favoring players they like. Brown is considered a top 5 Tackle despite his limitations(which he uses to his advantage). McGlinchey isn't considered a top 10 Tackle in the league. No way in hell is Brown not the best FA in this class. It doesn't really matter because from what I have read Brown isn't going anywhere.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:48 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:48 am In my opinion, the top 10 guys that look like they fit what the Bears want from their offensive linemen:

A lot of overlap
My top Bear targets are:

B. Freeland (OT), BYU
P. Johnson (OT), Ohio St - nice luxury to have, but I'm more interested in DL at his draft level
J. Duncan (T/G), Maryland - could also have given his name as best RT candidate, run blocking is ahead of pass, arms might be lacking
C. Galvin (OT), Baylor
C. Warren (RT), Pitt - kinda new to my radar, everything sounds sufficient, don't know about the injury though
J. Tippmann (G/C/T), Wisconsin - Love the athleticism. I think he probably ought to move to G or T, but my patience for position bouncing and development is low by now
C. Mauch (G), N Dakota - Love him as a G prospect, but G isn't a real priority for me (get a C, RT and let everyone else fight over G is my plan). Even with the alligator arms, probably doesn't fall far enough.
Revisiting this after the final all-star game measurements released.

Galvin's short arms make it hard to picture him sticking at tackle. He and Mauch are probably headed inside to guard.
I'm thinking Patterson is a center only, not unlike Luke Wypler who also reportedly has sub-32 inch arms.
Duncan appears to check all the "adequate" boxes. Not sure he's anything more than that; Dane Brugler, whom I trust, says he "doesn't see it" with Duncan.
Warren is interesting, yeah. So is Kirkland. (Both are older than Teven Jenkins, mind you.)
I get the appeal of Freeland, but I keep watching and I'm just not a fan. I'd rather roll dice on Matthew Bergeron or Wanya Morris.
KFFL refugee.

karhu
Head Coach

Never knew a thing about Nick Saldiveri, but he jumped out at me today. You never know which linemen will have a hard time moving from one side or another, but I caught myself imagining Saldiveri as our LG.

Morris looked like ass, which surprised me. Still just day 1, though, in a mostly artificial environment. Bergeron (and somehow not Freeland) looked like our kind of RT.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
cblaz11
MVP

After reading up on Freeland, I want to love him. Then I watched his game tape. No thank you
thunderspirit
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:04 am Never knew a thing about Nick Saldiveri, but he jumped out at me today. You never know which linemen will have a hard time moving from one side or another, but I caught myself imagining Saldiveri as our LG.
Saldiveri is interesting. Senior Bowl Executive Director Jim Nagy thinks he has an NFL future at C, so a shift inside is in the offing for sure.
KFFL refugee.

wulfy
MVP

I keep seeing this about the "short-armed" Skowronkski - but the same thing was said about Rashawn Slater from NU and he's been really solid on the edge. Feet are so much more important than wingspan.
wab
Mod

wulfy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:57 am
I keep seeing this about the "short-armed" Skowronkski - but the same thing was said about Rashawn Slater from NU and he's been really solid on the edge. Feet are so much more important than wingspan.
Slater hasn't been great and there has been talk of flipping he and Salyer after Salyer played well at LT in Slater's absence. I like Skoronski, but I see an interior lineman.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:36 am
Moriarty wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:48 pm

A lot of overlap
My top Bear targets are:

B. Freeland (OT), BYU
C. Galvin (OT), Baylor
Revisiting this after the final all-star game measurements released.

Galvin's short arms make it hard to picture him sticking at tackle. He and Mauch are probably headed inside to guard.
I'm thinking Patterson is a center only, not unlike Luke Wypler who also reportedly has sub-32 inch arms.
Duncan appears to check all the "adequate" boxes. Not sure he's anything more than that; Dane Brugler, whom I trust, says he "doesn't see it" with Duncan.
Warren is interesting, yeah. So is Kirkland. (Both are older than Teven Jenkins, mind you.)
I get the appeal of Freeland, but I keep watching and I'm just not a fan. I'd rather roll dice on Matthew Bergeron or Wanya Morris.
Bummer about Galvin. I've been fixated on him as depth with serious upside for a year now.
We'll see about Combine athleticism, but I'm pretty disgusted with the T crop this year. I'm just about ready to say FA solution or even FA stopgap and forget the draft. And I almost never say that.

karhu
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:13 am Slater hasn't been great and there has been talk of flipping he and Salyer after Salyer played well at LT in Slater's absence. I like Skoronski, but I see an interior lineman.
He missed most of the season, sure, but Slater was second team All-Pro as a rookie. PFWA all-rookie team, too. Salyer was good this year, but not Braxton Jones good. Not doubting that there's been talk of keeping Salyer at LT, but that could just be because he had a lot of experience in college at both tackle spots, while Salyer moved between tackle and guard.

I just wonder if that adds up to an argument for kicking Slater inside. Or for viewing Skowronski the same way. And after the Robert Gallery saga, I'm hugely skeptical of short-armed tackles.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:43 am We'll see about Combine athleticism, but I'm pretty disgusted with the T crop this year. I'm just about ready to say FA solution or even FA stopgap and forget the draft. And I almost never say that.
Agree on the RT in FA. I'll not be shocked to see Riley Reiff resigned pretty quickly — not thrilled based on last year's play, mind you, but not shocked.

It's not a dreadful crop necessarily, but it's hard to see getting immediate contributions from more than a handful of guys (barring a real find like the example of Braxton Jones appears to be). You're betting on traits developing and not a plug-and-play guy.

Paris Johnson Jr, Broderick Jones, and Anton Harrison are all gonna be Day 1 picks (the last, in no small part because he's a 21 yr old rookie who likely can start right away). Heck, Darnell Wright, Dawand Jones, and Jaelyn Duncan might be too, just based on demand.
KFFL refugee.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:43 am ...I'm hugely skeptical of short-armed tackles.
So is the NFL.
KFFL refugee.

UOK
Site Admin

Anyone tell me about these guys?

Luke Wypler, C - Ohio State
Joshua Gray, T - Oregon State
thunderspirit
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:25 am Anyone tell me about these guys?

Luke Wypler, C - Ohio State
Joshua Gray, T - Oregon State
Gray didn't declare, as far as I can tell.

Wypler did. He's a solid-if-unspectacular center-only prospect with good athleticism and meh strength.
KFFL refugee.

karhu
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:20 am
karhu wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:43 am ...I'm hugely skeptical of short-armed tackles.
So is the NFL.
Well, yeah. Not trying to give anyone the high hat, just saying that Slater overcame my own misgivings, and that Skowronski might deserve the benefit of the doubt, too. It's not a Northwestern thing, in other words (I'm from the other side of the tracks, for starters).

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Slater and Joe Thomas both overcame Short Arm Syndrome, yes. They're exceptions to the rule, and I didn't make the rule, the NFL did. :D

Maybe Skoronski is too, I'm not prescient. Just saying the odds aren't in his favor to stick outside at T.
KFFL refugee.