So...it's actually happening

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

karhu
Head Coach

Four or five years too late, but what do you think of the teardown?

Me, I'm all for it. Hated to lose Debrincat, but he's a season away from a huge payday, and we'll still be in the shit. Thought we could've gotten a bit more, but keeping him would've amounted to trying to fill an inside straight.

Loved the draft. Forward-heavy, two promising defensemen who add some serious dimension to our prospect pool, and an emphasis on focus, hustle, and nerve. Not every one of them will make it, of course, but I'd be surprised if any of them turns out to be a tease. They'll have it or they won't, and we won't have to wonder about their maturity or motivation.

Kane's probably next, and though that's a shame, it's for the best. Another reason to damn Stan's eyes: he could've given Toews and Kane an honorable last few years--years that would've justified keeping them around to retire here--if he'd made just half of the boneheaded personnel moves he did. Speaking of Toews, I'll bet someone bites at the trade deadline.

Gonna be a tough few years. But if Davidson pulls off another few drafts this good, we could be back in a (relative) hurry.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:09 am Four or five years too late, but what do you think of the teardown?
Very distant observer, but it seems like they were extraordinarily slow to catch on that it was over.
If I were a fan, I'd have lost my mind with 4-5 years of wallowing.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:06 am
karhu wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:09 am Four or five years too late, but what do you think of the teardown?
Very distant observer, but it seems like they were extraordinarily slow to catch on that it was over.
Pshaw, wrong board to complain about such a short period of time for a franchise to not make changes. Bears, Bulls, Cubs have all had biblical amounts of time in which they sucked and didn't make needed changes.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:36 am
Moriarty wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:06 am

Pshaw, wrong board to complain about such a short period of time for a franchise to not make changes. Bears, Bulls, Cubs have all had biblical amounts of time in which they sucked and didn't make needed changes.
:clap:
Exactly. The Hawks got some time as they won 3 Cups over 6 years. Outside of the Bulls, no major Chicago sporting team had success like that. They had to get out from under some bad contracts Bowman did and in the NHL that is not very easy.

It is going to be a rough year, but kind of excited to see some young guys play and see how this rebuild goes.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Been up and down so far this year but they had a nice little 4 game win streak. I have not seen a game yet. It takes me until December to get in hockey mode. Plus, I don't have NBC Sport Chicago at the moment. On top of that, I go to bed too damn early to stay up and watch an entire game.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:10 pm Been up and down so far this year but they had a nice little 4 game win streak. I have not seen a game yet. It takes me until December to get in hockey mode. Plus, I don't have NBC Sport Chicago at the moment. On top of that, I go to bed too damn early to stay up and watch an entire game.
pretty much agree on all counts, except I am a better fan as I settle in to watch the game and then fall asleep on the couch while watching rather than simply go to bed before the puck drops :-P
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

3 game win streak baby!!!! All without Kane. Interesting. First game I watched pretty much all the way thru was last night. Good to see them beat the defending SC Champs.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Trade deadline March 3. Do you think the Hawks will move Kane and/or Toews?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not sure. Sounds like Kane would be open to staying here. Toews, I believe his best and slightly above avg days are behind him. If you could get something worthwhile for him, I would not hesitate (if he would waive his NMC). I am thinking of going in a couple of weeks to see both. Could be the last time in Hawks sweater.