New Coaches Talk

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Lovie was fired as was Nathaniel Hackett. The Cards have fired Kliff Kingsbury. Sean Peyton is considering a return to the NFL. Harbaugh is interviewing with the Broncos. Sean McVeay is going to take week to consider his coaching future. I thought maybe one thread to look at all news regarding personnel matters.

I look back a year. No GM. No head coach. No first round pick. A highly drafted QB who none knew the capabilities of. Lots of bad contracts. Some but not much cap space. It hasn't been an easy year for the team and for being a fan but there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

I think Peyton ends up in Denver somehow. The Saints are going to want a first-round pick though...

I'm suuuuuper interested to see what happens in AZ.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I just can't think of any time I'd be willing to trade a meaningful pick for a HC
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

I guess if they are that desperate to fix Russ..given the sunk cost they have in him.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:24 pm I just can't think of any time I'd be willing to trade a meaningful pick for a HC
Chicago Voice: What about for Ditka?

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:24 pm I just can't think of any time I'd be willing to trade a meaningful pick for a HC
The only one I can recall was Belicheck.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

nfl.com's page tracking all Head Coach, Coordinator and GM interview requests:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-coaching-g ... ring-cycle

These two stood out:
  • The Browns have put in a request to interview former Bears' DC Sean Desai for their head coach vacancy.
  • The Cardinals and Titans have put in requests to interview Ian Cunningham, Bears assistant general manager, for their GM role.
In relation to Cunningham, Bears Wire mentions this:
He recently attended the NFL’s Front Office Accelerator program in December, allowing him and 31 other rising minority executives the opportunity to build and strengthen relationships with other club ownership representatives and executives.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/ ... m-vacancy/
Looks like he made an impression and is rising up the ranks fast with two clubs interested in interviewing him.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

They have to interview people though, even ones with little to zero chance of being hired.

This is all smoke and mirrors in my opinion.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:44 pm I guess if they are that desperate to fix Russ..given the sunk cost they have in him.
I can see them giving Harbaugh a strong look also. Look at what he did with Kapernik, the 49ers made it to the Super Bowl and almost won it with him at QB.

Desai is interviewing for the Browns Defensive Coordinator position, not Head Coach. I think they'll give Stefanski a full season with Watson to see what they can do together.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:46 pm nfl.com's page tracking all Head Coach, Coordinator and GM interview requests:

These two stood out:
  • The Browns have put in a request to interview former Bears' DC Sean Desai for their head coach vacancy.
  • The Cardinals and Titans have put in requests to interview Ian Cunningham, Bears assistant general manager, for their GM role.
He recently attended the NFL’s Front Office Accelerator program in December, allowing him and 31 other rising minority executives the opportunity to build and strengthen relationships with other club ownership representatives and executives.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/ ... m-vacancy/
Looks like he made an impression and is rising up the ranks fast with two clubs interested in interviewing him.
Stefanski didn't get fired did he? I have not seen anything. Desai?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:36 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:46 pm nfl.com's page tracking all Head Coach, Coordinator and GM interview requests:

These two stood out:

Stefanski didn't get fired did he? I have not seen anything. Desai?
Fired the DC.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Yeah, my bad on Desai. Read the article and had a brain-fart when I typed my post. :ashamed:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:16 pm Yeah, my bad on Desai. Read the article and had a brain-fart when I typed my post. :ashamed:
Cleveland and 'looking for a new head coach' have become pretty common the past few years, easy make that assumption.
IE
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:30 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:16 pm Yeah, my bad on Desai. Read the article and had a brain-fart when I typed my post. :ashamed:
Cleveland and 'looking for a new head coach' have become pretty common the past few years, easy make that assumption.
Hiring Desai would be an excellent way to ensure that continues. I mean seriously, Desai wrecks EJax for a couple of years as safety coach and helps turn that Fangio D into garbage quickly... only to be promoted by a horrible control freak headcoach because he wouldn't be a threat. Then Pete Carroll - the real wizard of Seattle - makes him look good for one season, and he's suddenly HC material? To fix Cleveland? OMG LOL.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A round up of the latest developments:

Sean Payton
  • Sean Payton is scheduled to interview with the Broncos on Tuesday in Los Angeles.
  • The Texans and Cardinals also have permission from the Saints to speak with Payton about their jobs and those interviews should happen next week as well, assuming he doesn't take the Denver job first.
  • Payton has done homework on all three potential landing spots and all three are considered viable options.
  • The Saints are expected to ask for a first-round pick and more for Payton.
Denver Broncos

In addition to the scheduled interview with Payton:
  • Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh interviewed virtually for more than 2 hours this past Monday and may have an in-person interview at some point, if the university doesn't sign him to an extension first.
  • They also hope to speak next week with Cowboys DC Dan Quinn, who interviewed for the job last year. Quinn has a close relationship with Broncos GM George Paton and would be a strong candidate for the job if he's willing to engage with Denver again.
  • 49ers DC DeMeco Ryans will also likely interview next week.
  • The Broncos already interviewed their current DC Ejiro Evero, former Stanford coach David Shaw and former NFL coach Jim Caldwell this past week, and still plan to interview Rams DC Raheem Morris after Payton on Tuesday in L.A.
Arizona Cardinals

The Cardinal's GM search could wrap up in the coming days. They have already have interviewed:
  • Adrian Wilson and Quentin Harris (in-house candidates)
  • Former Giants GM Jerry Reese.
  • Bears assistant GM Ian Cunningham.
  • Ravens director of player personnel Joe Hortiz.
  • Titans director of player personnel Monti Ossenfort.
They also have a request out to interview 49ers director of player personnel Ran Carthon.

Besides Sean Payton, the only two known head coach interview requests were for:
  • 49ers DC DeMeco Ryans
  • Former Dolphins coach Brian Flores, now with the Steelers.
Cardinals DC Vance Joseph will likely interview in the middle of next week and is regarded as a strong internal candidate for the job.

Indianapolis Colts

The Colts have already interviewed the following for their Head Coach vacancy:
  • Special teams coordinator Bubba Ventrone
  • Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy
  • Broncos DC Ejiro Evero
  • Lions OC Ben Johnson
  • Rams DC Raheem Morris
Today they are scheduled to interview:
  • Eagles OC Shane Steichen
  • Lions DC Aaron Glenn
They are expected put out more interview requests in the next few days for coaches who are in wild-card games and thus ineligible to interview last week.

Interim HC Jeff Saturday also remains a candidate.

Carolina Panthers

The Panthers have interviewed the following for their Head Coach vacancy:
  • Interim HC Steve Wilks
  • Jim Caldwell
  • Frank Reich
The Panthers are scheduled to interview Eagles OC Shane Steichen today – their only virtual interview with a current NFL assistant.

They are saving most of their candidates for in-person sessions once those are allowed starting Tuesday.

Lions OC Ben Johnson is among those expected to travel to meet with owner David Tepper and other team brass over the course of the week.

The team also has requested interviews with several other co-ordinators:
  • Giants OC Mike Kafka
  • Cowboys OC Kellen Moore
  • Bills OC Ken Dorsey
  • 49ers DC DeMeco Ryans
  • Patriots DC Jerod Mayo (who is expected to stay with the New England)
Houston Texans

In addition to their interest in Sean Payton for their HC vacancy...

Houston today interviews Eagles DC Jonathan Gannon, who got two interviews for the job a year ago before the surprise hiring of Lovie Smith and has a good relationship with GM Nick Caserio. Gannon is expected to be among the top candidates.

The following are expected to fly to Houston for interviews next week:
  • Broncos DC Ejiro Evero
  • Rams assistant head coach Thomas Brown
They have spoken to:
  • Lions OC Ben Johnson
  • Eagles OC Shane Steichen
The Texans also has requests out for:
  • Giants OC Mike Kafka
  • DeMeco Ryans, a former Texans player who would be a fan favorite.
LacertineForest
MVP

I figured the board would find this interesting...

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

:lol:

You know that turd which just won’t flush?

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Here's a random thought I just had: So Payton retired as head coach, but the Saints retain his rights. What would happen if Payton un-retired and went back to work for the Saints?
Like, he's obviously not the coach anymore, but say he wanted to get out of his contract without costing his next team any compensation, even if he had to go back and work for the Saints for the remainder of his original contract.

Can he barge in the door and declare himself coach again?

Or is the clock still running on his contract, and the Saints just own his rights until the contract naturally runs out? I've never thought about this stuff before.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:59 pm Here's a random thought I just had: So Payton retired as head coach, but the Saints retain his rights. What would happen if Payton un-retired and went back to work for the Saints?
Like, he's obviously not the coach anymore, but say he wanted to get out of his contract without costing his next team any compensation, even if he had to go back and work for the Saints for the remainder of his original contract.

Or is the clock still running on his contract, and the Saints just own his rights until the contract naturally runs out? I've never thought about this stuff before.
Well if that’s the way he rolls you’d expect some owners to run a mile from that kind of shitty behaviour.

If he has any integrity he’ll work out a way of ending his contract with the Saints early with both parties acting honourably.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

After the monumental Chargers flameout last night, there is speculation that Stanley may be fired. Peyton would be interested, the Chargers are one of the 2 teams he really wants to coach but McVeay is staying put with the Rams.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:21 pm
RustinFields wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:59 pm Here's a random thought I just had: So Payton retired as head coach, but the Saints retain his rights. What would happen if Payton un-retired and went back to work for the Saints?

Well if that’s the way he rolls you’d expect some owners to run a mile from that kind of shitty behaviour.

If he has any integrity he’ll work out a way of ending his contract with the Saints early with both parties acting honourably.
Yeah, that's not exactly what i meant although i do think he's kind of a shit head, waltzing out on the Saints at their low point and then trying to waltz back into a better situation.

Mostly I just meant, what does "owning his rights" literally mean? If he has 3 years left on his contract, does that just mean he cant coach anywhere else for the next 3 years? Or that he still owes the Saints 3 years of his life before he can coach anywhere else without requiring compensation?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:03 am
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:21 pm

Yeah, that's not exactly what i meant although i do think he's kind of a shit head, waltzing out on the Saints at their low point and then trying to waltz back into a better situation.

Mostly I just meant, what does "owning his rights" literally mean? If he has 3 years left on his contract, does that just mean he cant coach anywhere else for the next 3 years? Or that he still owes the Saints 3 years of his life before he can coach anywhere else without requiring compensation?
Good question, I’m sure he will have to negotiate a settlement with the Saints or wait 3 years.

wab
Mod

Pretty sure it's just like a player. The team trading for him takes on the existing contract, although I would expect it gets torn up and redone by the new team.

I would be legitimately shocked if he didn't end up in Denver. But who knows.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

There's a train of thought that he might want to live out west.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Matt Nagy is going to interview for the offensive coordinator position with the Titans. Just ... wow.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:07 pm Matt Nagy is going to interview for the offensive coordinator position with the Titans. Just ... wow.
OK, hear me out. I'm kind of excited for this and want it to happen.

Alot of what I've read, that I've strongly believed, about Nagy's coaching tenure with us goes like this: You cant just steal someone's offensive system that they've been developing for years, which is what Nagy tried to do with Andy Reid's system. Brought it here and tried to make it his own.

Offensive systems and philosophies grow organically, which is why a guy like Nagy, who was never really an offensive coordinator, and never really called plays, failed so miserably here. He was just a guy who was in way over his head.

So while I dont think he's ever gonna be a head coach again, I do believe there's something there that could flourish into a really fun offensive coordinator of his own down the line. But he needs time, and apparently a dose of humility too which he hopefully got after slinking back to KC.
Heinz D.
MVP

RustinFields wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:59 pm OK, hear me out. I'm kind of excited for this and want it to happen.

Alot of what I've read, that I've strongly believed, about Nagy's coaching tenure with us goes like this: You cant just steal someone's offensive system that they've been developing for years, which is what Nagy tried to do with Andy Reid's system. Brought it here and tried to make it his own.

Offensive systems and philosophies grow organically, which is why a guy like Nagy, who was never really an offensive coordinator, and never really called plays, failed so miserably here. He was just a guy who was in way over his head.

So while I dont think he's ever gonna be a head coach again, I do believe there's something there that could flourish into a really fun offensive coordinator of his own down the line. But he needs time, and apparently a dose of humility too which he hopefully got after slinking back to KC.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Jim Harbaugh to remain as head coach for University of Michigan.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:21 pm Jim Harbaugh to remain as head coach for University of Michigan.
Good, very good.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:59 pm
Grizzled wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:07 pm Matt Nagy is going to interview for the offensive coordinator position with the Titans. Just ... wow.
OK, hear me out. I'm kind of excited for this and want it to happen.

I understand what you're saying, hopefully Nagy has learned from his Bears tenure. But he just never seemed to learn, he continued to pound square pegs into round holes with the Bears. But it's no longer our concern.