2023 NFL Draft: Myles Murphy

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Assuming we do a trade down from #1, we're there at 4 to 7, and Anderson is off the board this is my guy.

The more video I watch and scouting reports I read I'm convinced this is the way we need to go.

Murphy is listed as 6' 5" and 276 pounds, but look at the speed. This is a guy almost the size of an OL coming at you full tilt.

By comparison:

Michael Strahan: 6' 5" and 255.
Khalil Mack: 6'3" and 267.
Julius Peppers: 6'7" and 296.

Murphy is right in the middle of all that and even better he's tall. That's A LOT of deflected passes.

The combine is one day so I don't put much stock into it, but I'd love to see his 40 time.

wab
Mod

And he just turned 21. He is just scratching the surface of how good he can become.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The ceiling is a question mark, but he's a very safe pick.

Great scheme fit
Powerful, solid run defender
Good speed and fairly good pass rush
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dave99
Assistant Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:53 pm Assuming we do a trade down from #1, we're there at 4 to 7, and Anderson is off the board this is my guy.

The more video I watch and scouting reports I read I'm convinced this is the way we need to go.

Murphy is listed as 6' 5" and 276 pounds, but look at the speed. This is a guy almost the size of an OL coming at you full tilt.

By comparison:

Murphy is right in the middle of all that and even better he's tall. That's A LOT of deflected passes.

The combine is one day so I don't put much stock into it, but I'd love to see his 40 time.

PFF on Murphy
Murphy used his pure strength and speed to dominate at the college level. He’s so hard to match up against given his athleticism. Murphy has excellent pursuit and the ability to just hawk down the quarterback.

He finished with seven sacks this season, but as good as his pass rushing is, his run defense is even more impressive. In his first two seasons, Murphy graded over 84.0 both times in run defense. That number dipped into the 70s this season, but that is not fully indicative of how well his career run-defense profile at Clemson. Murphy claims he ran a 4.51-second 40-yard dash back in high school along with benching over 405 pounds. Both of these measures would be considered fairly elite for NFL defensive ends.
They go on to say he is at this point better at defending the run then rushing the passer. He is very young and needs some seasoning and pro coaching, but has all the traits of a pro bowl end.
Another site compared him to "Ziggy" Ansah
From everything I have seen thus far, he is unlikely to get out of the top 5, depending on the combine, the Cards may prefer him over Anderson.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
EricTighe
MVP

Other than ANderson Jr. he may be the safest pick at DL. With possibly the lowest ceiling. That is not a Knock because he is already damn good. Just a little slower off the snap than most. But his motor doesn't stop.
karhu
Head Coach

dave99 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:01 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:53 pm Assuming we do a trade down from #1, we're there at 4 to 7, and Anderson is off the board this is my guy.

By comparison:

PFF on Murphy
Murphy used his pure strength and speed to dominate at the college level. He’s so hard to match up against given his athleticism. Murphy has excellent pursuit and the ability to just hawk down the quarterback.

He finished with seven sacks this season, but as good as his pass rushing is, his run defense is even more impressive. In his first two seasons, Murphy graded over 84.0 both times in run defense. That number dipped into the 70s this season, but that is not fully indicative of how well his career run-defense profile at Clemson. Murphy claims he ran a 4.51-second 40-yard dash back in high school along with benching over 405 pounds. Both of these measures would be considered fairly elite for NFL defensive ends.
They go on to say he is at this point better at defending the run then rushing the passer. He is very young and needs some seasoning and pro coaching, but has all the traits of a pro bowl end.
Another site compared him to "Ziggy" Ansah
From everything I have seen thus far, he is unlikely to get out of the top 5, depending on the combine, the Cards may prefer him over Anderson.
Yeah, Ansah was fast and quick, not a ton of power to his game. Murphy strikes me as a significantly different kind of player.

Specifically, I see too much Vernon Gholston and Jadaveon Clowney in him. Tall, big, powerful, fast...but not big enough or strong enough to make that speed count, because their change-of-direction skills were so blah. If he runs the shuttle in 4.25 and the three cone in seven seconds, I'm all in. But I don't see that in his game right now.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
G08
Hall of Famer

Sounds like this draft is deeper at edge rushers than defensive tackles (per Daniel Jeremiah and others).

Does that change our approach?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

EricTighe
MVP

No, because Poles has stated many times he takes the BPA approach to every draft. Whoever his number one guy is who he going to draft and I believe if he trades down it will be to a spot he gets his number 1 guy as well.

So, if he loves Carter then that's will be his guy. Who knows maybe they are in love with Tyree Wilson. Wilson fits Flus and Poles philosophy to a TEE.

Until we see the length of Anderson's and Jalen Carter's arms won't know if these are their type of players.

Murphy 33 3/4" Arms
Andre Carter 32 1/2" arms
Brian Breese 33" arms

SO the guys some of us have spoke on as liking aren't really our front office and GM's type of players. They want athletic and lengthy guys. Jalen Carters 40 time is what is really going to solidify him in the minds of scouts or drop him. The last 40 he ran he supposedly ran in 5.15 with 28" vertical. If these numbers don't improve he will drop in the draft. But there are sites out there that have him 4.95 40 and 35" verticle range so his numbers are all over the page.
EricTighe
MVP

EricTighe wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:11 am No, because Poles has stated many times he takes the BPA approach to every draft. Whoever his number one guy is who he going to draft and I believe if he trades down it will be to a spot he gets his number 1 guy as well.

So, if he loves Carter then that's will be his guy. Who knows maybe they are in love with Tyree Wilson. Wilson fits Flus and Poles philosophy to a TEE.

Until we see the length of Anderson's and Jalen Carter's arms won't know if these are their type of players.

Murphy 33 3/4" Arms ( This is very close though to the length they spoke of liking)
Andre Carter 32 1/2" arms
Brian Breese 33" arms

SO the guys some of us have spoke on as liking aren't really our front office and GM's type of players. They want athletic and lengthy guys. Jalen Carters 40 time is what is really going to solidify him in the minds of scouts or drop him. The last 40 he ran he supposedly ran in 5.15 with 28" vertical. If these numbers don't improve he will drop in the draft. But there are sites out there that have him 4.95 40 and 35" verticle range so his numbers are all over the page.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:54 am Sounds like this draft is deeper at edge rushers than defensive tackles (per Daniel Jeremiah and others).

Does that change our approach?
It appears much deeper at edge than at DT, yep.

I'm not particularly high on Murphy myself (much more sold on Derick Hall or Colby Wooden), but I can see the appeal in his frame and athleticism. I just wish it had yielded more production.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: