Who Needs a QB?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

EricTighe
MVP

wab wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:20 am Derek Carr is going to end up somewhere too.
He is but if you are a GM and know the Raiders have to release why would you give up anything less than a 6th rounder? The Raiders blundered the hell out of that one.

The Eagles still have Minshew on a rookie deal I will be shocked if they trade him this year. They lost Hurts this year so backup QB is good to have.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Raider said they'll release him Feb 15 if a trade isn't made. Ummm ....
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Heinz D.
MVP

wab wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:20 am Derek Carr is going to end up somewhere too.
For some unknown reason, to me, it feels like the Commanders. I have no idea why...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
EricTighe
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:11 pm The Raider said they'll release him Feb 15 if a trade isn't made. Ummm ....
I heard this by someone on ESPN radio. Not quite sure who, but said the Raiders can release him one week after the Superbowl and take no hit due to his contract. 40 million off the books.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Some rumblings this a.m. that Baltimore is highly pissed at Lamar Jackson. First he tweeted during the week about his medical condition, which they did not like. Then he didn't even go with the team to the playoff game and stand on the sidelines. Would they try to trade him?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:19 am Some rumblings this a.m. that Baltimore is highly pissed at Lamar Jackson. First he tweeted during the week about his medical condition, which they did not like. Then he didn't even go with the team to the playoff game and stand on the sidelines. Would they try to trade him?
Some talking head said last they would straight out swap Fields for Lamar?

No chance, I’d want 2 future firsts and Lamar for Fields.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:19 am Some rumblings this a.m. that Baltimore is highly pissed at Lamar Jackson. First he tweeted during the week about his medical condition, which they did not like. Then he didn't even go with the team to the playoff game and stand on the sidelines. Would they try to trade him?
That relationship is definitely in rough shape
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

I honestly think they will try. I have to wonder if they are tired of tailoring an entire offense to fit one guy.

I think they are crazy if they do though.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:33 am
I honestly think they will try. I have to wonder if they are tired of tailoring an entire offense to fit one guy.

Looks like he's a FA, so the only trade they can pull is tag and trade.

Also
Agent(s):
Self-Repped (Self-Repped)
Hmmmmmm
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:35 pm
wab wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:33 am

Looks like he's a FA, so the only trade they can pull is tag and trade.

Also
Agent(s):
Self-Repped (Self-Repped)
Hmmmmmm
Yeah, he's getting tagged regardless, so it would definitely be a tag/trade thing.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

A former MVP, has one ever been traded? Look what the Seahawks got for Wilson and he's 10 years older. In his prime, a much better passer than Jackson. I could see Houston throwing their 2 first rounders at the wall to see if something sticks. But tgen tge Ravens would need a QB.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

C. J. Stroud declared today for the draft. So much for the bad rumors of him returning to college.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

My new favorite fool, Nick Wright of Fox Sports. The Bears and Ravens should trade QBs. Fields is a mobile QB and Baltimore's offense is entirely modelled towards one. The Bears have so much cap space, they'd have no problem fitting in Jackson's salary demands.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Erin traded to the Jets. Carr is released and goes to the Commandos. Brady to the Raiders. The Ravens and Lamar make up and play kissy face after he signs a monster contract. Houston, Indy, Atlanta, and Carolina play musical chairs to trade up in the draft.
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:48 am Erin traded to the Jets. Carr is released and goes to the Commandos. Brady to the Raiders. The Ravens and Lamar make up and play kissy face after he signs a monster contract. Houston, Indy, Atlanta, and Carolina play musical chairs to trade up in the draft.
Carr to the Jets
Jimmy G to the Raiders
Rodgers to the Titans
Jackson gets franchised

Brady either retires or goes to Miami.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:57 am
Grizzled wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:48 am Erin traded to the Jets. Carr is released and goes to the Commandos. Brady to the Raiders. The Ravens and Lamar make up and play kissy face after he signs a monster contract. Houston, Indy, Atlanta, and Carolina play musical chairs to trade up in the draft.
Carr to the Jets
Jimmy G to the Raiders
Rodgers to the Titans
Jackson gets franchised

Brady either retires or goes to Miami.
No way does Erin go to the Titans. He wants a big spotlight shining on him, there's none bigger than in NY. They also have weapons to win right away. I could see Jimmy G landing there. Miami's situation will depend on Tua's medicals but he seems too prone to concussions.
wab
Mod

Rodgers wants to win an MVP. Going to the Titans gives him a direct path to the playoffs.

Plus they are about the only team in the NFL that has the cap flexibility to take on his contract.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Titans play in a relatively weak division although the Jags are looking better and better. But the Titans are sitting 23 mill in the hole right now with the cap plus don't have big offensive weapons outside Henry. Plus, although I have no evidence, just a feeling, Erin's played in a backwater his entire career and wants some bright lights in a big city.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:54 amPlus, although I have no evidence, just a feeling, Erin's played in a backwater his entire career and wants some bright lights in a big city.
That's less of an issue in the NFL as it would be in other major league sports. The Packers, despite being in a backwater, are on prime time frequently.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:46 am
Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:54 amPlus, although I have no evidence, just a feeling, Erin's played in a backwater his entire career and wants some bright lights in a big city.
That's less of an issue in the NFL as it would be in other major league sports. The Packers, despite being in a backwater, are on prime time frequently.
True enough. But there's a big difference between spending Friday night at Lars' Lake Trout boil or being the celebrity opening the ice fishing derby and stepping out on Broadway or Flagler Avenue in Miami, etc. As I said, I don't really know if that's part of his thinking but I just have the feeling it might be.
Z Bear
MVP

Rodgers to the Raiders!!! Reunited with Devante Adams and much closer to CA, where he lives offseason.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Z Bear wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:17 pm Rodgers to the Raiders!!! Reunited with Devante Adams and much closer to CA, where he lives offseason.
:puke:

Probably true though, good call Z

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

If yu were a GM, what would you offer for a 38 year old QB? He seemed to drop off a bit this year but the WR situation in GB was flummoxed until halfway through the season. Two firsts? Can't see offering as much as Denver did for Russell Wilson, especially in light of him moving to a new team fizzled first year.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:55 pm If yu were a GM, what would you offer for a 38 year old QB? He seemed to drop off a bit this year but the WR situation in GB was flummoxed until halfway through the season. Two firsts? Can't see offering as much as Denver did for Russell Wilson, especially in light of him moving to a new team fizzled first year.
I guess any team is going to want GB to eat some of the cap hit otherwise there won’t be a lot of picks on offer

wab
Mod

Hard to say. He's 38 but he's durable and still one of the best in the business. If you are a team with a championship roster and just need a QB to get you there, what would you give up.

Stafford was what, 34 when he was traded, and not as good as Rodgers. The Rams gave up a fair bit for him and bought a super bowl. The Lions got Goff, 2021 third-round pick and 2022 first-round pick, and a 2023 first-round pick.

I think a package like that is at least the starting point.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

After watching Mr Irrelevant tear it up for the 49ers, I wonder if he's earned the starting nod in '23. Would they try and trade Lance and get something, anything, back for him?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Jets have hired Nathaniel Hackett as their offensive coordinator. Hackett and Erin share a successful relationship from Green Bay. The Jets have a very stong defense and decent to good offensive weapons except for QB. Is this lining up for an Erin trade to the Jets? They play in the AFC, which is what the Pack would want if they traded him.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Carr hss been released, he wouldn't waive his no-trade clause. Maybe the Commandos will cut Wentz and then sign Carr, tying up too much money for them to reach a deal with Payne. Jets or Saints signing him won't affect the derby for the 1st pick.
EricTighe
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:05 pm Carr hss been released, he wouldn't waive his no-trade clause. Maybe the Commandos will cut Wentz and then sign Carr, tying up too much money for them to reach a deal with Payne. Jets or Saints signing him won't affect the derby for the 1st pick.
Two prominent rumors concerning Carr are the Saints (Some say he already has got a deal in place). Others believe Carolina has a shot with Frank Riech and Carr being devoted Christians.

The Raiders are a flipping mess. Know a lot of lifetime fans about to give up on them until McDaniels gets fired. There a mess.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I Think there are more teams that need QBs than don't.

The entire NFC South. SF (they don't what they got there and what they do is injured). Raiders. Miami has to be keeping an eye out, Tua is close to gone. Washington, Indy. Jets. Rams? Texans. Titans? Atlanta ? Seattle may be snooping for a successor.

Should be wild times coming up.