TMP's Football Dilemma: McNagy and Mahomes

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'm struggling with something.

OK, so I'm not ROOTING for anybody else but the Bears right? (Minshew doesn't count.)

But to make the playoffs more interesting I'm pulling for certain teams to do well.

The GOAT is out of it, but I love Joe Burrow and then Mahomes. Either of those guys win and I think that's great.

If Minshew won as a backup with Philly that could propel him to a starting QB job somewhere.

Here's the problem.....

If Mahomes wins the Super Bowl then that McAsshole McNagy gets a Super Bowl ring.

Then guess what? Yep. His name will be in the mix for different OC or (God Save Us From The Day) another HC job.

So is this what it's comes down to now? I can never root for Mahomes simply because he's got that guy on his coaching staff?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’m not rooting for Kansas couldn’t really care about Mahomes. He’s great, he’s entertaining but other than that I don’t care if he loses.

If Nagy gets an HC job then that’s one more team we can beat on our road to the SB.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Well...you could always root for KC to lose, Nagy to get a new gig, and then flop at it.

The third part shouldn't really take any wishing to come true.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Heinz D.
MVP

Doesn't Nagy already have a Super Bowl ring?
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I don’t think co-ordinators are always natural head coaches and that’s true of Nagy.
He micromanages, tries to do everyone else’s job but never does his own. I’ve seen a lot of managers do this. Highest paid in their department yet they feel it’s their role to organise the secret Santa whilst we tank staff and have no up to date safety policies.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Root for Mahomes to do well, but don't worry if KC wins or not.

Personally, I've always like Reid, and Mahomes is my favorite NFL player right now not on the Bears.
I've always had a soft spot for Cincy and the thought of a SF-Cincy SB has some nostalgic appeal to it.
Hurts has carried my big money keeper league so I always like to see him (and Philly by default) succeed.

The only team I want to see get crushed is SF and that's only from some left-over playoff bitterness from the 80's
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

This seems like an unnecessary problem that you’ve self-created.

I can’t manage to care where Nagy goes from now on?
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Nagy is a non-issue, but you're right it would get bizarre if he gets in the limelight..

Other side of the coin I can daydream about JF1 whupping his ass pretty soon.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
karhu
Head Coach

Jesus fucking Christ. Britt Reid got a Super Bowl ring, and then he went out and crippled a kid. Wanna get indignant? There's a target.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Matt Nagy failed as Bears coach. He cost the team a year of Fields' development. But he's history now. If he can resurrect his reputation with another team, it's of no concern anymore for us.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Post Bears elimination, I tend to just root for different teams each year based on their style of play. I love how the Bengals and Niners play so I've been rooting for them recently. Dolphins are my home market so I rooted for them even though I knew they had no shot. And I tend to root against all incumbents - so I'm rooting against KC/Philly. Toss in some personal stuff from when I worked with a lot of these teams (some of that experience has me favor certain teams, and some has me actively hate them lol - Denver being my most hated by miles). It all lines up well this year with Cincy and SF, other years its a little more muddled.

What I've noticed most, is that I just don't care about it once the Bears are out. I've become a lesser football fan over the years and really only get excited when our team plays. Otherwise, it's kinda meh. I'm like that with all sports now, I just don't watch much unless it's my team.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:28 am Post Bears elimination, I tend to just root for different teams each year based on their style of play. I love how the Bengals and Niners play so I've been rooting for them recently. Dolphins are my home market so I rooted for them even though I knew they had no shot. And I tend to root against all incumbents - so I'm rooting against KC/Philly. Toss in some personal stuff from when I worked with a lot of these teams (some of that experience has me favor certain teams, and some has me actively hate them lol - Denver being my most hated by miles). It all lines up well this year with Cincy and SF, other years its a little more muddled.

What I've noticed most, is that I just don't care about it once the Bears are out. I've become a lesser football fan over the years and really only get excited when our team plays. Otherwise, it's kinda meh. I'm like that with all sports now, I just don't watch much unless it's my team.
The Bengals and Niners really are fun to watch.

I love Mahomes, but just like any superstar that plays for a team that you don't root for, it gets a little boring watching him do the things he does. I suppose it's my fan jealousy seeping in.

I want the Bengals to win for no real reason, but I'm rooting hard for Brock Purdy. It's a crazy story.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Purdy's from my alma mater, my rooting interest.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:28 am Post Bears elimination, I tend to just root for different teams each year based on their style of play. I love how the Bengals and Niners play so I've been rooting for them recently. Dolphins are my home market so I rooted for them even though I knew they had no shot. And I tend to root against all incumbents - so I'm rooting against KC/Philly. Toss in some personal stuff from when I worked with a lot of these teams (some of that experience has me favor certain teams, and some has me actively hate them lol - Denver being my most hated by miles). It all lines up well this year with Cincy and SF, other years its a little more muddled.

I feel ya. Skipped a lot of the games this weekend because I really had no rooting interest. Watched the SF v Dallas game for a couple of reasons. 1) Purdy. 2) I hate Dallas. Now that Dallas is out I really do not hate any teams left so I don't really care who gets in. I guess I just hope now that the SB is a helluva game and the commercials are better this year. I will avoid all pre-game and half time.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I don't like to see the same teams winning year after year (but I would make an exception for the Bears!), so I'm hoping for a 49ers/Bengals Super Bowl with the Chiefs and Eagles both having won a Championship in recent years.

Like wab, the Purdy storyline is fascinating. How amazing would it be for "Mr Irrelevant" to lead a team to Super Bowl glory? (And if he achieves that then what happens with Trey Lance?)
Ormazd
MVP

I love the playoffs despite the Bears rarely being a part of them. Usually, my primary focus is rooting for Packer fail, but I didn't even have to worry about that this year.
I have considered the 49ers my second favorite team since their first SB win, although I join Atkins&Rebel in a bit of lingering heartburn over a couple times I thought Walsh and Seifert ran it up on us.