2023 NFL Draft: Jalen Carter

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

cblaz11
MVP

We’re going to find out tonight what Carter is made of..he’s taken a beating after last game…If he doesn’t come out and make play like his life is on the line, he’ll be a perfect excuse for guys to skip bowl games going forward.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

He was better tonight. But, i dont think he is top 5 pick in the draft. I know some think that is a slap in the kids face for me to say that. But, its probably likely that there will end up being 5 better players in this draft than Carter. I'd pass on him if picking in top 5. Now...if 6, 7, or 8....i'd probably be picking the guy
karhu
Head Coach

He's not a 3T for us. I still see him as a terrifically disruptive NT, but on his own he'd slot in next to Justin Jones. That's a good DT tandem from where I'm sitting, but that's about all it is. Together, they'd take three or four guys to block on any given play. We'd still need DEs capable of doing something with that sort of bidness, and I'm not sure that we have any on the roster just now.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I have heard/read a lot of the same "all-in" comments on Carter, and they do make me wonder whether he's Poles/Flus material. I think that's a fair assessment.

But to say he's not a top-5 talent in this draft feels absurd. He'll be better than he was able to show at Georgia simply because in the NFL he won't line up at the nose in a 2-point stance and won't play much 4i DT. He's a wrecking ball, when he wants to be.

The "when he wants to be" is a caveat, to be sure. But he's got the ability and strength to collapse every pocket in the NFL.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
karhu
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:42 pm I have heard/read a lot of the same "all-in" comments on Carter, and they do make me wonder whether he's Poles/Flus material. I think that's a fair assessment.

But to say he's not a top-5 talent in this draft feels absurd. He'll be better than he was able to show at Georgia simply because in the NFL he won't line up at the nose in a 2-point stance and won't play much 4i DT. He's a wrecking ball, when he wants to be.

The "when he wants to be" is a caveat, to be sure. But he's got the ability and strength to collapse every pocket in the NFL.
Yeah, I'm certainly not writing him off. Among other things, he'd be a menace against the run, and just having a guy other teams don't want to run against could be huge. Who was the last guy like that on our roster, Ted Washington? Carter could very well be like Washington with immunity to counters (which my ravaged memory says was the only way teams succeeded in rushing against his gap).

There's still every possibility IMSO that Carter took one for the team this year. In both playoff games, I saw him routinely absorb double-teams and carry them away from the play, leaving his teammates with easy matchups. Poles might learn nearly as much about Carter by talking with his coaches as he does interviewing Carter himself.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I was going to drop this one in the 'Top draft prospects - Defensive Tackle' thread but we seem to have a whole thread just for Carter now so figured this is place for it.

Bearlissimo's look at Carter:

I'm not sure if he just picked out a selection of poor plays by Carter for this one after his more detailed look at the top DT prospects previously (see the other thread), but this certainly isn't a positive 'hype' video.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:02 pm I was going to drop this one in the 'Top draft prospects - Defensive Tackle' thread but we seem to have a whole thread just for Carter now so figured this is place for it.

Bearlissimo's look at Carter:

I'm not sure if he just picked out a selection of poor plays by Carter for this one after his more detailed look at the top DT prospects previously (see the other thread), but this certainly isn't a positive 'hype' video.
Thanks for sharing this HRS... It is good to see the flaws as most of the vids are hype... Would be interesting to know if he just struggled against Kentucky or if there is more negative tape. I personally have not bought in on him but admit that I have not watched much tape on him.
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
IE
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:29 am Here is a quote from an assistant GM on Carter and Anderson from last evenings Trib:
The two guys this year, you know exactly what they are. Jalen Carter is as talented of a human being as you will find. The problem is that he’s not a character guy and there is a major bust factor with D-linemen that don’t have great character. There’s risk there but a lot of teams are willing to take it.

“Will Anderson is not like a (Nick) Bosa or a Chase Young in terms of his get-off or his bend. He is just an ass kicker. He is a fighter. He’s tougher than hell. He is the alpha in a locker room that is all alphas. He’s the lead dog.

“They’re all different. These two guys, I think it’s a little clearer than last year in those top two defensive guys. This year has got three quarterbacks. That is the rub there.”
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/b ... story.html
That football character/effort potential issue would seem to take him off of Poles' board completely, as he's not going to bring a guy like that to a HITS team. I sort of hate those stories though (see bullshit JF1 narratives). What other evidence is there of Carter not being a character guy? I only saw him play a few times, and have no opinion other than I agree he phoned it in during the playoffs. But why get hurt? But then again if he's playing not to get hurt maybe he IS a question mark. LOL Honestly I know Poles will have the true scoop, and if he grabs Carter nobody should be dismayed.

The Anderson description is the opposite. Unlike vague negative narratives, positive ones like effort are usually on the money. And in a way describes what the Lions got in Hutchinson. Some were speculating Hutch might disappoint. But he's endless motor. If that's what Anderson is, he's a priority for Flus.

BUT it just might not work out that way, with Anderson likely not falling beyond AZ who IMO is a slam dunk to take him. So Murphy seems next best - but honestly I don't know much about him other than having casually watched & seen him play a few times.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
karhu
Head Coach

Here's a trip down memory lane: Stephen White's take on Aaron Donald:

Even with his questionable effort at times, I have to think Marinelli will see a lot of Geno Atkins in Donald and pound the table for the Cowboys to take him so that Donald can be a cornerstone for a new foundation after the defense's wretched performance last season under Monte Kiffin.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that Donald should not drop that far. Even with the intermittent effort issues, this guy plays at a level, technique-wise, that I haven't seen from a college defensive lineman in the last decade.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/3/4/5 ... -technique

That strikes me as the sort of balanced take that's appropriate to Carter. And another reason why my eyes glaze over when I read about DTs giving "intermittent effort." That sort of comment alone means nothing in my book; it's got to be substantiated, or I read it like "short gymnast Simone Biles."

wab
Mod

It's rare that you find a DT that is all gas no brakes. Intermittent effort is kind of in the job description.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'm slowly but surely switching over from Carter to Murphy.

I keep watching videos of the two of them and Murphy stands out better to me. I see that guy and I think Strahan or Peppers.

No slight to Carter. I also think that 3T is priority #1 in FA and we'll have that position handled before the draft.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:39 am I'm slowly but surely switching over from Carter to Murphy.

I keep watching videos of the two of them and Murphy stands out better to me. I see that guy and I think Strahan or Peppers.

No slight to Carter. I also think that 3T is priority #1 in FA and we'll have that position handled before the draft.
I also love Murphy. Wilson too.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:54 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:39 am I'm slowly but surely switching over from Carter to Murphy.

Another thing I've been thinking about with Carter vs Murphy is how much did Carter benefit from playing on that defense? Are his numbers inflated?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:25 am
wab wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:54 am

Another thing I've been thinking about with Carter vs Murphy is how much did Carter benefit from playing on that defense? Are his numbers inflated?
I don't think so, with Carter. He's unlikely to line up at nose or 5-tech very often in the NFL, like Georgia had him do. They asked him to eat a lot of double-teams and free up the guys behind him.

That's not to say he's flawless as a prospect — his motor runs hot and cold too often for my taste — but he's a dominant force when he wants to be.
KFFL refugee.

EricTighe
MVP

If we trade back and don't get Anderson Jr. Then these guys I would take before Carter.

1. Ringo is a super freak that looks like a LB and plays like a CB. Best potential at CB in the draft.

2. Porter JR. If Ringo is 1A then porter not far behind at 1B.

3. Breese if not for the injury concerns he would be talked about as possibly the first pick in the draft.

4. Tyree Wilson is the biggest Boom or bust in this draft. He will be great or he won't. I don't see a middle ground with his numbers.

5. Myles Murphy- Love him but to me he is just Mr. Consistant. I don't believe he will be great but he will be solid for the nest 10 to 12 years. Maybe the safest pick of them all.

Wait till after the week of practice to see if Carter II is for real. To be honest after the first 3 guys I would feel a lot better if we get my sleeper right now in ADETOMIWA ADEBAWORE DL/EDGE NORTHWESTERN. If his numbers are for real then look out. Rumors are he maybe closer to 6'1". Which seems to be his biggest knock. He doesn't have great length which I believe will take him right off our board.
wab
Mod

If the Bears take a DB in round one after taking two of them with their first two picks last year, I might throw something.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:38 pm If the Bears take a DB in round one after taking two of them with their first two picks last year, I might throw something.
Especially that high in the draft.
KFFL refugee.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:15 pm
wab wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:38 pm If the Bears take a DB in round one after taking two of them with their first two picks last year, I might throw something.
Maybe in R1.
But if they get a high 2 in trade (which seems very possible) and one of them slides a little (?), I'm thinking DE & CB could be the only picks that make sense there.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Fun to look back on things from August before the season started... Spoiler... He was #2

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists/20 ... th-njigba/
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:16 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:15 pm

Maybe in R1.
But if they get a high 2 in trade (which seems very possible) and one of them slides a little (?), I'm thinking DE & CB could be the only picks that make sense there.
Oh, I'm not suggesting CB isn't a need. It is. I'm just saying that I'm almost never going to be interested in taking one at the top of any draft. It's a game won by big dudes, and I'm a believer in the Parcells Planet theory of "only so many people on the planet with that size and that athletic ability." I'm after the rare guys at the top of the draft.
KFFL refugee.

dplank
Hall of Famer

Question for the draftniks….

It seems like a number of folks here are down on Jalen Carter. IIRC there were a lot of comments about him not showing up making plays during their semifinal and final games.

But every mock / ranking I’ve seen has him rated as the top prospect in the entire draft. And I keep seeing him mocked to us because of the obvious fit.

Question for anyone who isn’t excited about landing Carter, what drove you away from him? Was it more than just the last two games?
wulfy
MVP

I've always preferred Anderson to Carter - mostly because of positional value (i.e. draft a CB in the first round, not a S). But yes, I know the 3T is probably more valuable in this defense than the DE - but you'll pay more for the double digit sack guy on the open market.

About Carter in particular, there is no question of the talent - I'd just like to see a better motor on him. I've probably seen him play 3 times and he flashes twice a game - for me, I'd rather have more impact for a Top 4 pick than that.

I'll also add that I'll be good if we draft him in a trade down ..... ps, I felt the same way about Tommie Harris when he came out, so what do I know?
wab
Mod

A lot of it has to do with positional value I guess. Carter is a fine prospect, but is he worth the first pick in the draft?

I don't know.
bbaker
Journeyman

First of all, I’m a UGA fan. To be honest, I haven’t been able to figure out why he has been so highly regarded all year. While he does flash plays, so do his back-ups (and maybe more so). Further, it’s true that he really didn’t show up in the playoffs. I felt like Stackhouse was much more disruptive in the last few games.

I don’t see Aaron Donald when I watch him play, and he’s had obvious issues with conditioning and fatigue.

I think he can possibly be a great DL in the NFL if he goes to the right system and learns to work harder on his conditioning, but I don’t see #1 pick kind of potential in him.

FWIW, my son who graduated from UGA last May likes him even less than I do.
wab
Mod

I don't see Aaron Donald either. If I did I'd have zero hesitation taking him at #1
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Talent is off the chart. I guy as big as he is shouldn't move like he does.

But if you look at his production it's not great as far as his stat lines. The rub on him is he relies too much on talent alone and doesn't seem to be improving his skills. That results in him not showing up at times. I just worry he would be a guy Herb Brooks would call out:

"The name on the front of the front of the jersey is much more important than the name on the back." and

"You don't have enough talent to win on talent alone."

He clearly has talent, but it's the NFL and everyone has talent.

FWIW, anyone here who hasn't watch "Miracle" you need to put that on the top of your must see movies. I know squat about hockey but the movie is amazing. Beating the f-ing Russians in the Olympics that year is my first vivid sports moment. Still remember my dad going CRAZY in the game. Before going to law school he had been an intelligence office in the army and he HATED the Russians.
wab
Mod

Miracle is a phenomenal movie.

My father in law was a colonel in the air force during the cold war. He was in charge of the tactical response in the event of a nuclear attack.

He also is not a fan.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

psst - we have a dedicated Jalen Carter thread in the War Room

viewtopic.php?t=16868

wab
Mod

Plank doesn't like forum hopping...
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Aw, he just needs some help getting there