Byron Leftwich Fired in Tampa

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Sudden fall from grace for one of last year's hottest coordinators.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I'm totally bummed about this, from a "the NFL desperately needs a black offensive coordinator to break through" stand point... but also kinda darkly funny that Arians last year was like:

“I get credit and Brady gets way too much credit for what Byron does with our offense,” Arians said. “One of the reasons I hope he gets all the credit he deserves this year is to get a coaching gig; you know, he had about four or five teams real interested last year. . . . I would anticipate him to be a head coach real fast.”

Welp, Byron got the credit.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Maybe he'll still get some HC interviews.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Injuries and Tom's domestic situation crushed that team as much as Leftwich did.
I'm also convinced that Arians had a much greater influence on the organization and couldn't be brushed aside for the much more passive (as a head coach anyway) Bowles.
As far as Bowles is concerned, he's like Wade Phillips if you ask me. He's one heck of a DC, but just falls short when leading a whole team.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:07 pm Injuries and Tom's domestic situation crushed that team as much as Leftwich did.
I'm also convinced that Arians had a much greater influence on the organization and couldn't be brushed aside for the much more passive (as a head coach anyway) Bowles.
As far as Bowles is concerned, he's like Wade Phillips if you ask me. He's one heck of a DC, but just falls short when leading a whole team.
Seems like a fair number of guys who are great coordinators but can't make that step to head coach. Just as there are great college coaches who can't coach in the pros.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm always wary of these types of situations. Bruce Arians has high flying offenses wherever he goes, I always attributed the success of that offense to him (and Brady of course) moreso than Leftwich. Andy Reid is similar, everywhere the guy goes the offense is good, regardless of who the OC is. Because it's Andy's offense ultimately, and while he might let someone else drive the car he's always right there to make sure they are doing it right. I don't care if they say they are hands off and acting like a CEO or whatever, these coaches all got to where they are by working on one side of the ball and having a lot of success - so their influence will be heavy over that side even once they adopt a more CEO type posture. Arians left, Bucs offense tanked. I bet same happens in KC if Reid handed over HC control to Bienemy. I wouldn't even want Leftwich or Bienemy as OC's, because I just don't trust that they can stand on their own without their mentor.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:38 am Arians left, Bucs offense tanked. I bet same happens in KC if Reid handed over HC control to Bienemy. I wouldn't even want Leftwich or Bienemy as OC's, because I just don't trust that they can stand on their own without their mentor.
The Ravens, Titans and Commanders have all made requests to interview Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs offensive coordinator, for their offensive coordinator jobs.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-news-round ... day-jan-29

Interesting that he's generating interest for what is technically a lateral move rather than a head coaching role. Presumably teams are wary after what happened with Nagy, who had less OC experience than Bienemy when the Bears hired him.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:19 pm Kellen Moore in Dallas got whacked also.
Wow, he was widely courted last year.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

wab
Mod

Sounds like the parting was "mutual" so that he could go to the Chargers. But who knows.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I saw somebody on twitter say the other day that, at the heart of every coaching hire/change is SOMEBODY trying to save their ass, and damn if that isnt true.

McCarthy thinking he'll have less blunders in the last 2 years of his contract if he takes over playcalling duties is rich.
wulfy
MVP

Moore already with the Chargers ... that was quick!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/char ... le-in-l-a/
dplank
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:23 pm Moore already with the Chargers ... that was quick!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/char ... le-in-l-a/
Nice get for the Chargers
Shadow
Assistant Coach

Cowboys going to Cowboy...
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I'm excited for Kellen Moore. Somehow he's quietly vacillated between the next great offensive-minded head coaching candidate and complete fraud. When your bosses are Mike McCarthy and Jerry Jones it's hard to get a bead on just how much stupidity is standing in your way, so with Justin Herbert and complete freedom to do his thing the Chargers are a perfect litmus test.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:16 am I'm excited for Kellen Moore. Somehow he's quietly vacillated between the next great offensive-minded head coaching candidate and complete fraud. When your bosses are Mike McCarthy and Jerry Jones it's hard to get a bead on just how much stupidity is standing in your way, so with Justin Herbert and complete freedom to do his thing the Chargers are a perfect litmus test.
Is he Bellichick v2.0 or McNagy v2.0?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural