Possible Trade Scenarios for #1

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:26 pm John McClain said basically the same thing. Said he thought the Texans would give the Bears both first round picks and more. I sure hope he's right #2 and #12 are definitely a best case scenario sort of deal.
If that were to happen then...

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:23 pm
Heinz D. wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:26 pm John McClain said basically the same thing. Said he thought the Texans would give the Bears both first round picks and more. I sure hope he's right #2 and #12 are definitely a best case scenario sort of deal.
If that were to happen then...

John has been around forever, I used to read his stuff when I lived in Texas in the '80s and '90s. He's pretty dialed in. Hard to know what to believe until a team is actually on the clock but this could get interesting between the Colts and Texans.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Heinz D.
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:10 pm John has been around forever, I used to read his stuff when I lived in Texas in the '80s and '90s. He's pretty dialed in. Hard to know what to believe until a team is actually on the clock but this could get interesting between the Colts and Texans.
Trade with the Texans, then start fielding offers for #2 with the Raiders and Panthers. Tell the Colts that. Trade down to #4. Cardinals pick Anderson? Cool! See if the Falcons, Raiders or Panthers now want #4.

This could actually happen. It's not at all far-fetched (if McClain is right, and he usually is).

Damn...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
artbest01
Crafty Veteran

IMO, this is the dream scenario...although I don't necessarily agree with one Texans writer who, on NBC Chicago, said the Bears should accept "whatever the Texans offer" to move down one spot. In my view, if the Colts are ready to (effectively) massively over pay, and all the Texans are willing to do is throw in a third rounder this year (and maybe a mid round pick next year), then I make the move with the Colts....because we have no idea if the Colts will "settle" for the QB the Texans DON'T draft.

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:55 pm
Grizzled wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:10 pm John has been around forever, I used to read his stuff when I lived in Texas in the '80s and '90s. He's pretty dialed in. Hard to know what to believe until a team is actually on the clock but this could get interesting between the Colts and Texans.
Trade with the Texans, then start fielding offers for #2 with the Raiders and Panthers. Tell the Colts that. Trade down to #4. Cardinals pick Anderson? Cool! See if the Falcons, Raiders or Panthers now want #4.

This could actually happen. It's not at all far-fetched (if McClain is right, and he usually is).

Damn...
RichH55
Hall of Famer

artbest01 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:13 pm IMO, this is the dream scenario...although I don't necessarily agree with one Texans writer who, on NBC Chicago, said the Bears should accept "whatever the Texans offer" to move down one spot. In my view, if the Colts are ready to (effectively) massively over pay, and all the Texans are willing to do is throw in a third rounder this year (and maybe a mid round pick next year), then I make the move with the Colts....because we have no idea if the Colts will "settle" for the QB the Texans DON'T draft.

Damn...

Well said Art
Heinz D.
MVP

artbest01 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:13 pm IMO, this is the dream scenario...although I don't necessarily agree with one Texans writer who, on NBC Chicago, said the Bears should accept "whatever the Texans offer" to move down one spot. In my view, if the Colts are ready to (effectively) massively over pay, and all the Texans are willing to do is throw in a third rounder this year (and maybe a mid round pick next year), then I make the move with the Colts....because we have no idea if the Colts will "settle" for the QB the Texans DON'T draft.
Well, yeah, they gotta take the best deal they can get. It will be fun to see what that is.

Not sure what the deal is with the Texans writer, or what he was getting at...
thefish7
Journeyman

Damn...
Yeah I agree, well said. I think a Texans trade should really only be entertained if it's 2 & 12. Otherwise just take highest bid before or on draft day.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

:D :D
Grizzled wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:54 pm Bryce Young is the current odds on favorite to be the #1 pick, followed by CJ Stroud, Jalen Carter and Will Levis and then Will Anderson. Odds are -135, +250, +550, +550, +750. Put a buck on Jahymer Gibbs and you'll win a cool $25K.
Put a buck on him and you’ll have one less buck :D :D
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The perfect storm:

Chicago trades 1:1 to Hou for 1:2, 2:2 (34), 6:2(201), and a 2024 1st rounder

Chicago then trades 1:2 to Indy for 1:4, 2:4(36), 3:18 (79), 6:28 (228), 7:4 (222), and a 2024 1st rounder
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:17 pm
Heinz D. wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:26 pm
John McClain said basically the same thing. Said he thought the Texans would give the Bears both first round picks and more. I sure hope he's right #2 and #12 are definitely a best case scenario sort of deal.
That would just be crazy to me - Obviously Im taking that in a heartbeat (*)

(*) Im so greedy I'd still shop the deal to Indy (or try and trade down again)
2 & 12 is required to start the conversation with the implication that if they don't want to do that, the Colts are on hold on line 2 willing to give up their 1st, players, and draft capital next year. I'm pretty certain that the Texans will give up 2&12 plus a 3rd. Then you trade back with the Seahawks for their two 1st round picks so they can take Levis. Now you have three first round picks, draft capital for next year, and if Bresee or Skronski are still on the board, you look to trade back again to six or seven and pick-up more picks this year. It's in no way inconceivable that this happens. Poles has to be married to the idea of maximizing quantity of talent in the first two rounds, and not to a single player.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:13 pm Kyler isn't coming back until at least mid-season. With new regime coming in, should we start thinking that AZ is really in the market for a QB? It isn't a statement about Kyler's talent or anything - but he was King's guy and a new regime might not want that type of player. I'm starting to think AZ drafting a QB at #3 and hedging on Kyler for '23 might make sense (even if it is Levis). I'd assume Kyler would come back healthy and with a QB on a 5 year deal AZ could afford to take a hit and trade Kyler in '24 to a team built for a running QB.

So that would make a deal with Indy better & more enticing to them, and still leave the Bears will Anderson at 4 plus a couple of other picks.
This is completely believable. Kyler was always Kingsbury's guy. He sold the franchise front office on what he could do with a QB like Murray, and got hired for it. It's certainly possible that AZ will be looking for a new QB this year. I also think the era of sub 6' QB's is coming to a close.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I said #7, but that's only if we are able to trade back twice. Ryan Poles goal should be to stay in the top 10, end up with 2-3 1st round picks and 4-5 2nd round picks. Whatever he's able to stash for next year is gravy. But you have to come out of any trade back scenario with a haul of picks to start seriously rebuilding your team in 2023.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I'd love to get 2 and 12, but it kind of seems like fantasy.

If they pull it off though, stop trading down. Get your top guy at 2 and then if you want to do some more moving, 12 could still hold value. Or use it also
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:55 am
IE wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:13 pm Kyler isn't coming back until at least mid-season. With new regime coming in, should we start thinking that AZ is really in the market for a QB? It isn't a statement about Kyler's talent or anything - but he was King's guy and a new regime might not want that type of player. I'm starting to think AZ drafting a QB at #3 and hedging on Kyler for '23 might make sense (even if it is Levis). I'd assume Kyler would come back healthy and with a QB on a 5 year deal AZ could afford to take a hit and trade Kyler in '24 to a team built for a running QB.

So that would make a deal with Indy better & more enticing to them, and still leave the Bears will Anderson at 4 plus a couple of other picks.
This is completely believable. Kyler was always Kingsbury's guy. He sold the franchise front office on what he could do with a QB like Murray, and got hired for it. It's certainly possible that AZ will be looking for a new QB this year. I also think the era of sub 6' QB's is coming to a close.
It was a short window
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:07 pm

It was a short window

:rimshot:
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:52 am
RichH55 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:17 pm

That would just be crazy to me - Obviously Im taking that in a heartbeat (*)

(*) Im so greedy I'd still shop the deal to Indy (or try and trade down again)
2 & 12 is required to start the conversation with the implication that if they don't want to do that, the Colts are on hold on line 2 willing to give up their 1st, players, and draft capital next year. I'm pretty certain that the Texans will give up 2&12 plus a 3rd. Then you trade back with the Seahawks for their two 1st round picks so they can take Levis. Now you have three first round picks, draft capital for next year, and if Bresee or Skronski are still on the board, you look to trade back again to six or seven and pick-up more picks this year. It's in no way inconceivable that this happens. Poles has to be married to the idea of maximizing quantity of talent in the first two rounds, and not to a single player.

I think there is a 3rd way. And generally I love trading down - especially this year

But there is a range where if you have traded down (maybe twice) and are still in a position to draft the Top guy on your board? (and have added multiple extra picks already) - Take your guy at that point
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:21 pm
RichH55 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:07 pm

It was a short window

:rimshot:
Try the veal
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Hopefully not until after there's a bidding war for Young.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Fire up the Hot Stove

dplank
Hall of Famer

What’s the board consensus on this bears blog guy? Is he Lambert level blowhard or more legit than that?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I've found Jeff (the guy behind DBB) to be solid.

He's a fan like the rest of us. When it comes to the Bears, he's either really lucky with his projections/predictions, or he actually knows someone at Halas Hall somewhere. How high up, how connected, I have no clue. But his info appears good most of the time.

I take him with a grain of salt on the fan stuff, but I tend to believe him on the team stuff. Your mileage may vary.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:13 pm I've found Jeff (the guy behind DBB) to be solid.

He's a fan like the rest of us. When it comes to the Bears, he's either really lucky with his projections/predictions, or he actually knows someone at Halas Hall somewhere. How high up, how connected, I have no clue. But his info appears good most of the time.

I take him with a grain of salt on the fan stuff, but I tend to believe him on the team stuff. Your mileage may vary.
Yea

Throughout the GM/coach process he was very good on details, and with specificity that couldn't be achieved with just throwing out a bunch of shit and seeing it stick.

You can kind of tell when he goes from straight leaks to spewing FO propoganda IMO. Still valuable in a sense, but only in the context of trying to reverse engineer the meaning of propoganda.

If he says there are floated offers I believe it, though floated seems very strong cya there (whether from him or his source). I'd imagine there will end up being a dozen floaters by time it's all said and done. Some serious. Some not. Some just fishing for info.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Interesting stuff.
I’m going to predict Jets and Carolina.
Jets are going to have to send players to make it work IMO
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

karhu
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:20 pm
If he says there are floated offers I believe it, though floated seems very strong cya there (whether from him or his source). I'd imagine there will end up being a dozen floaters by time it's all said and done. Some serious. Some not. Some just fishing for info.
Yeah, everyone's got someone in Mobile, and everyone's talking. If I'm Poles, I'm making sure that a few semi-obscure sources catch wind that there've been discussions about #1, just to get things churning. The call could be coming from inside the house....

Anyhoo, I'm guessing Las Vegas and Carolina. This feels early for Houston, Arizona, and even Indianapolis to be asking about a small-but-expensive trade-up. But if you're further down, and acknowledge that a case can be made for every team sitting 2-5 to pick a QB, you could start talking with the Bears this far out. McDaniels apparently pushed to move up for Tim Tebow, so he's got it in him; Scott Fitterer gave up a whole lot for Sam Darnold, so you know that he's got it in him to do something stupid.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
wab
Mod

DBB is usually on the right track.

My guess is also Carolina and LV.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

I think if a bidding war exists it will come from the AFC South....whether that "war" becomes real or manufactured remains to be seen. Both the Colts and Texans definitely want a QB. But, so do the Titans....the Titans may be able to help drive the price up if for no other reason than to help strip down the draft picks of their division mates
Heinz D.
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:52 am Poles has to be married to the idea of maximizing quantity of talent in the first two rounds, and not to a single player.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

DBB seems to have some source he gets his information from. Lambert just re-post things he sees on line or just makes thing up.

If I have to pick the two team I'd think Carolina and Falcons.