Chris "Hitman" Harris back to the Bears

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

So they're interviewing ol' #46 from Lovie's team. What's interesting is that it's not quite sure for which role...Secondary coach which would be a lateral move on an up and comi8ng Commanders D. Why go if you're him and why grant the interview if you're the Commanders? Or, possibly for Assistant Defensive Coordinator? Or is Alan Williams' DC job at risk?

Either way, I'd love to see Harris back. Not only does he feel like a great fit for Eberflus style and attitude but he's a young, up -and-comer who seems to be doing well as a coach:

Recent article on the emerging Commanders Secondary with some guys who are playing above their draft capital.: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... e-forrest/

Some Highlights of his time with the Bears:
dplank
Hall of Famer

I always liked Harris and would love to have him here as a coach. The guy brought it every week and would have been a natural fit for HITS philosophy the way he played IMO.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Did we lose someone?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Mikefive wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:12 am Did we lose someone?
Yes, James Rowe who came over with Flus and squad was the DBs coach and he went back to UCF earlier this month. So, there's a spot for Harris...just not sure why he'd make the lateral move and why the Commanders would grant the interview.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Kaiser wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:24 am
Mikefive wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:12 am Did we lose someone?
Yes, James Rowe who came over with Flus and squad was the DBs coach and he went back to UCF earlier this month. So, there's a spot for Harris...just not sure why he'd make the lateral move and why the Commanders would grant the interview.
Was it UCF? I thought it was USF?

I think he would be a great hire:
1. Played in the system under Lovie
2. Has been coaching in a similar system under Chico.

Talk of giving him the title of "associate head coach." It appears he is an up and comer with talk of being DC and HC in the near future. Perhaps we groom him to take over the DC role here if we don't see improvement in the near future.
wab
Mod

I like the idea of Harris coming back as a coach. Homegrown player coming back to be a coach...always a cool thing.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Awesome.
This would be his 3rd... maybe 4th stint with the Bears?

I remember he struggled a bit as a rook, but eventually came on to become a solid player.
Maybe left for a year for Carolina, then came back a couple seasons.

Then, didn't he have some internship to coach during camp one year? Could be wrong on that.
Hero
Player of the Month

Wasn't he here years ago in some type of coaching capacity? Maybe a grooming program?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Good idea. Lots to teach, should be able to communicate well with the players and Williams/Flus, he speaks their language.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Burl wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:10 am Awesome.
This would be his 3rd... maybe 4th stint with the Bears?

I remember he struggled a bit as a rook, but eventually came on to become a solid player.
Maybe left for a year for Carolina, then came back a couple seasons.

Then, didn't he have some internship to coach during camp one year? Could be wrong on that.
"Harris began his coaching career as a defensive quality control coach for the Chicago Bears, working primarily with the team's safeties. He coached in Chicago from 2013-14."

https://www.commanders.com/team/coaches ... ris-harris
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:53 am
The Kaiser wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:24 am

Was it UCF? I thought it was USF?

I think he would be a great hire:
1. Played in the system under Lovie
2. Has been coaching in a similar system under Chico.

Talk of giving him the title of "associate head coach." It appears he is an up and comer with talk of being DC and HC in the near future. Perhaps we groom him to take over the DC role here if we don't see improvement in the near future.
UCF = University of Central Florida. Josh Heupel had them in a pretty good spot before he departed for Tennessee.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Honestly the one thing I'd like to see is the Bears bring in Peanut Tillman and have him glued to Gordon's hip for the summer. Good Will Hunting level shit. Tillman coaches ONE GUY. Full time.
docc
Head Coach

I'd like Peanut to work with all DBs and safeties
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:40 pm Honestly the one thing I'd like to see is the Bears bring in Peanut Tillman and have him glued to Gordon's hip for the summer. Good Will Hunting level shit. Tillman coaches ONE GUY. Full time.
Maybe the FBI has a sabbatical program, but I doubt it. I'm 90% sure I ran into him in DC, his hair was short, and he was at a lousiana seafood with a woman I assumed was his daughter. I'm pretty sure hes 100% into the FBI gig now.
Middleguard
MVP

Tillman could work undercover on the Bears to discover the nefarious underworld connections behind the bad ref calls.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:27 pm Tillman could work undercover on the Bears to discover the nefarious underworld connections behind the bad ref calls.
I like this idea. Chuck Tillerson grounds keeper, former almond farmer from Mississippi will be his backstory.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:57 pm Maybe the FBI has a sabbatical program, but I doubt it. I'm 90% sure I ran into him in DC, his hair was short, and he was at a lousiana seafood with a woman I assumed was his daughter. I'm pretty sure hes 100% into the FBI gig now.
Do FBI agents get a lot of vacation time because Peanut seems to do a lot of non-FBI stuff, putting in appearances at Bears functions and training camp, charity work (he rowed across Lake Michigan to raise money for the battle against cancer a few years back), travelling to London for the Bears game etc. He leads a busy life!

And yes his hair was cut short when I met him at Tottenham Stadium.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:27 pm Tillman could work undercover on the Bears to discover the nefarious underworld connections behind the bad ref calls.
I imagine Tillman at the FBI.

Sitting in the basement down the hall from Mulder and Scully. Trying to figure out the NFL refereeing conspiracy.

A chain smoking old man at the NFL league office always one step ahead of him. Thwarting his every move.

Middleguard
MVP

Rumor is that Bears also asked to interview Packers' defensive pass game coordinator/DBs coach Jerry Gray. So what, exactly, is the position they're trying to fill? Or are they just using the loss of their DB coach as an excuse to kick some tires?
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Damn. Looks like Harris decided to take a job with the Titans. Bears are still on the lookout for a DB coach.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Kaiser wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:32 am Damn. Looks like Harris decided to take a job with the Titans. Bears are still on the lookout for a DB coach.
https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/ ... e-ex-bear/

I missed all that. That stinks. He could still land a gig as a DC it appears.
UOK
Site Admin

IE
Hall of Famer

Looks like they landed on Hoke.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!