New Coaches Talk

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Cards seem like the better bet for a quicker turnaround. They might have offered a '24 first rounder and the Saints declined. Denver's going to be deficient on picks for a while.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:33 pm The Cards seem like the better bet for a quicker turnaround. They might have offered a '24 first rounder and the Saints declined. Denver's going to be deficient on picks for a while.
Fewer picks are fine if you have conviction on a player.

Sincerely, Ryan Pace
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:01 pm
Grizzled wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:33 pm The Cards seem like the better bet for a quicker turnaround. They might have offered a '24 first rounder and the Saints declined. Denver's going to be deficient on picks for a while.
Fewer picks are fine if you have conviction on a player.

Sincerely, Ryan Pace
Just unfortunately not based on real world abilities too often although his pick of Fields is looking good.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:33 pm Denver's going to be deficient on picks for a while.
Last year they obviously believed they were a QB and HC away from having a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl. In theory they have a top defense (a legacy of Fangio) a bunch of quality skill players on offense and a decent offensive line. Having gone down this route and blown their choice of HC, they're clearly throwing all their chips in with Payton in the hope that he can turnaround their flailing choice of QB. Either way they've really only got a couple of years before they're going to be struggling with a dearth of young talent thanks to all the picks they've traded away to fulfil those two roles.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:09 am
Grizzled wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:33 pm Denver's going to be deficient on picks for a while.
Last year they obviously believed they were a QB and HC away from having a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl. In theory they have a top defense (a legacy of Fangio) a bunch of quality skill players on offense and a decent offensive line. Having gone down this route and blown their choice of HC, they're clearly throwing all their chips in with Payton in the hope that he can turnaround their flailing choice of QB. Either way they've really only got a couple of years before they're going to be struggling with a dearth of young talent thanks to all the picks they've traded away to fulfil those two roles.
They did think they were going to be in contention and were perhaps the most disappointing team in the league. They have pieces on both sides of the line but teams are always needing infusions of draft picks to be competitive.
wab
Mod

Sounds like Brian Flores is the frontrunner in AZ.
wab
Mod

Colts still interviewing everyone and their brother... but Raheem Morris and Shane Steichen seem to be the leading candidates. Jeff Saturday is supposedly in the top 3 or 4 though. Yikes.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I'm excited for the Packers to become a franchise in a death spiral like the Colts. Those fans went from Manning to Luck to this.
xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab
Mod

Wait. Wilson had HIS OWN COACH!?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:45 pm Wait. Wilson had HIS OWN COACH!?
He needs to reconsider his position after last season :lol:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Wilson had his own team or staff of nutritionists, sports psychologists, physical trainers, etc., which put off many of his teammates in Seattle and then Denver. Vic Fangio took the job with the Dolphins, not the 49ers. Brian Flores took the DC job with the Vikes although he was one of the 3 finalists for the Cardinals position. The Cards and Colts are still interviewing for their head coaching positions.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:41 am Wilson had his own team or staff of nutritionists, sports psychologists, physical trainers, etc., which put off many of his teammates in Seattle and then Denver.
Yeah, Wilson's been rocking his own TB12 thing with his own coterie of quacks but he's not Tom Brady so it's not going well.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

His own private office, his own parking space...
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:47 am
This is bad judgement on Wilson's part as well as on the Broncos. Not a good way to bond and earn the respect of your fellow teammates. Did he have a private pool to walk on water as well?

As I see it, Russell Wilson has an express ticket down the Rogers Road to Oblivion.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:06 am
Moriarty wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:47 am

This is bad judgement on Wilson's part as well as on the Broncos. Not a good way to bond and earn the respect of your fellow teammates. Did he have a private pool to walk on water as well?

As I see it, Russell Wilson has an express ticket down the Rogers Road to Oblivion.
And that was what got him shipped out of Seattle by all accounts. They spent years bending over backwards for Rus, constantly changing the offense for him, catering to his every weirdo whim. Players hated him! And at the first sign of his skills diminishing they got a king's ransom for him, which is bonkers.
IE
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:01 pm

And that was what got him shipped out of Seattle by all accounts. They spent years bending over backwards for Rus, constantly changing the offense for him, catering to his every weirdo whim. Players hated him! And at the first sign of his skills diminishing they got a king's ransom for him, which is bonkers.
Yeah I was shocked about the office. I could *see* a personal trainer if they played it right. But the diva and I'm better than you behavior is just shocking... shocking that a team would allow it. I guess if you win a Superbowl you get a huge halo. But man, shouldn't the trade to Denver have given him at least a little hint? He must be surrounded by yes people and not have an accurate idea of how he has been perceived.

I really like Payton and am really looking forward to seeing how Russ does once Payton bitch slaps him back to reality. I love the quote... "that's foreign to me"! Can you imagine going from a good guy like Brees to THAT?

I was aware of some personality clashes on Seattle and knew that he was distracted a bit by his overall persona and maybe considering it bigger than the team. But had no idea he was THAT bad.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:40 pm

Yeah I was shocked about the office. I could *see* a personal trainer if they played it right. But the diva and I'm better than you behavior is just shocking... shocking that a team would allow it. I guess if you win a Superbowl you get a huge halo. But man, shouldn't the trade to Denver have given him at least a little hint?
At that point, I'm sure he was still thinking that he was a demigod who just wasn't getting the appreciation he deserved from a bunch of ingrates.

Now that Geno put up great numbers in that offense, while Wilson sucked in Denver - now, maybe, something's dawning on him.
But maybe not. The human brain's ability to rationalize, twist, and do whatever is necessary to avoid confronting unpleasant reality can be extraordinary.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The defense detested him for years (see Richard Sherman's many comments on Wilson). Wilson got tired of being sacked way too many times as Seattle cheaped out on their OL. Let that be a lesson for the Bears, build up that OL as quickly as possible, as priority #1, to keep Fields from being abused 55 times a year.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Yeah, it's kind of funny that they've hit on a couple of recent OL now that Russ is gone. They loved drafting massive athletic freaks who they just assumed they could teach to play OL and it did not always work out.
wab
Mod

RustinFields wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:24 pm Yeah, it's kind of funny that they've hit on a couple of recent OL now that Russ is gone. They loved drafting massive athletic freaks who they just assumed they could teach to play OL and it did not always work out.
Their approach was weird. They had a period of time where they were turning defensive linemen into offensive linemen and it was going about as poorly as you'd expect.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:41 am
RustinFields wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:24 pm Yeah, it's kind of funny that they've hit on a couple of recent OL now that Russ is gone. They loved drafting massive athletic freaks who they just assumed they could teach to play OL and it did not always work out.
Their approach was weird. They had a period of time where they were turning defensive linemen into offensive linemen and it was going about as poorly as you'd expect.
I lived in the Western Washington area from 1995 - 2019 and saw all that transpired with the 'Hawks. They totally ignored the OL during the Wilson years and he paid the price, often ranking at the top of QB sacks each year. He bitched each year (along with arguing with Carroll about the offensive scheme) about the abuse he was taking. I'm not saying them drafting 2 OTs with their first 2 picks in '22 was a finger poke in Wilson's eye but I wonder.
otis
Pro Bowler

so, so glad they turned pace down. i don't think i could have survived wilson in halas hall
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

So Bradshaw is reporting that Payton turned down the Cards because he didn't want to coach Kyler Murray. Apparently he wasn't overjoyed about coaching Wilson but, as he wanted to get back into coaching, he said he'd make it work.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Colts hire Shane Steichen! I'm sad because I'm always going to root for the funniest outcome, and that was Jeff Saturday. I'm happy because, is Shane looking specifically for a Jalen Hurts clone? That could make them aggressive come draft time!
wab
Mod

RustinFields wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:45 am Colts hire Shane Steichen! I'm sad because I'm always going to root for the funniest outcome, and that was Jeff Saturday. I'm happy because, is Shane looking specifically for a Jalen Hurts clone? That could make them aggressive come draft time!
Jaren Hall looks like his kinda guy that could be had in the 3rd. They also have Sam Ehlinger on the roster and he's a similar style player.

Not saying they won't move up, but Hurts wasn't a top 5 pick.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Frank Reich has hired Jim Caldwell as a Senior Assistant. Caldwell, despite good success with the Colts and being the most successful Lions Head Coach of the 21st century has been overlooked for recent Heach Coach and Offensive Coordinator positions.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm betting on Payton having sold Denver on two things to take that job:
1. IF Russ is fixable, I alone can do it
2. IF I conclude that Russ is not fixable, I get a chance to pick and develop a new QB
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

Looks like AZ hired Jonathan Gannon. It will be interesting to see how they rebuild that defense. They have a lot of odd fits.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The new Colts QB is supposed to be a QB whisperer. I'm thinking the pressure just ramped up fornthe Colts to move up.