Free Agency- Give me 4 names

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

cblaz11
MVP

I think we have to realistically come away with 6-8 new starters this offseason. When looking at free agency, give me the 4 guys at the top of your wish list.

DT D Payne- Love his game and I think he is someone we can build our front 7 around. He’s 26

DE- Z Allen- I love his game…He finally put it all together last season and he’s only 26

C- Ethan Pocic- Hes a top 10 center in the league and only 28

OG- Nate Davis- One or the best guards in football, sign him and strongly consider moving on from Whitehair

It’s clear we need to fix the lines, I think these 4, all in their prime, start the process.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

In order of importance:

1) Payne. This should be obvious.
2) Bozeman. A high quality center changes the entire line. After the trade down we can draft a RT if we have to.
3) Ngakoue. We desperately need pass rush help. Like bad.
4) McGlinchey or another high quality RT.

Even after signing Payne and Ngakoue I would still draft either of Anderson, Carter or Murphy after we trade down. My target on that list is Murphy. See my thread about him for why.
dplank
Hall of Famer

1. Payne or Hargreaves- hopefully one makes the FA market

2. D. Hopkins - I know he’s not exactly a FA but they announced they are trading him, so he’s more likely available than Payne is. This changes our entire offense IMO

3. McGlinchey / McGary

4. T. Edmunds - We have basically nothing at LB

Edit: McGary not McGrady lol
Last edited by dplank on Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z Bear
MVP

1) DT Payne or Hargraves
2) RT McGrady or McGlinchey
3) DE Ngakoue or Marcus Davenport
4) RB DMO (I think he is pretty big leader in the locker room and should be retained)
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:14 am 1. Payne or Hargreaves- hopefully one makes the FA market

2. D. Hopkins - I know he’s not exactly a FA but they announced they are trading him, so he’s more likely available than Payne is. This changes our entire offense IMO

3. McGlinchey / McGary

Holy crap - AZ said Hop is on the market? I'm down no question. The comments about him being a diva... ok well so was ARob and the difference is DHop is a legit #1 WR and ARob has never been anything but a volume whore.

Hop, Pool, Mooney, Velus, ESB, a mid-round rookie pick and a cheap Pringle - yes please.

I definitely like the defensive ones and the RT. Poles can afford it all. Pay these guys now while you have the bank.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:14 am
Hopkins' 30 and coming off a PED suspension... physical WR's (like brandon marshall) just tend to hit a certain age and fall off a cliff. 5 years ago i would have given my left nut to get Hopkins but now he's at that age where he's still expensive as hell but could turn into a pumpkin at any minute. I'd be insanely nervous if we traded for him.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

apparently IE and I disagree on something. :D
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:15 am apparently IE and I disagree on something. :D
There's a first for everything. Next, Rich and dplank will disagree on something. :welcome:
wab
Mod

This assumes they plan on keeping Jenkins at RT:

1 - McGary
2 - Omenihu
3 - A'Shawn Robinson
4 - Vander Esch

* I don't think Payne makes it to FA.
cblaz11
MVP

dplank wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:14 am 1. Payne or Hargreaves- hopefully one makes the FA market

3. McGlinchey / McGary

You had me until Edmunds….never liked the guy. Linebackers cam be found in the second waive and later in the draft. Especially off ball LBers.

Also…follow directions lol. Hopkins isn’t a free agent bro
cblaz11
MVP

I don’t get the Davenport love…has anyone looked at his stats? He finished like 17th in tackles….on the Saints. Also, he had a half of sack….A HALF.

Big fan or Ashawn Robinson

Ngakoue has issues….there’s a reason he keeps getting moved around

Love Monty being listed..he almost made my list
dplank
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:14 am
Hopkins' 30 and coming off a PED suspension... physical WR's (like brandon marshall) just tend to hit a certain age and fall off a cliff. 5 years ago i would have given my left nut to get Hopkins but now he's at that age where he's still expensive as hell but could turn into a pumpkin at any minute. I'd be insanely nervous if we traded for him.
Worth the risk IMO, he's still at the top of his game and we would certainly get 2 good years (barring injury) before I'd worry too much about a big drop off. Setup the contract where there's a fair out after 3 years, and you can minimize that risk quite a bit. Lines up with our 2024 SB window!!
wab
Mod

Monty should have made my list at 4 because I don't really want Vander Esch. I was struggling to come up with a 4th. I like Z. Allen but he and Omenihu are fairly interchangeable. I think they tackle the interior of the OL in the draft.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:46 am

Worth the risk IMO, he's still at the top of his game and we would certainly get 2 good years (barring injury) before I'd worry too much about a big drop off. Setup the contract where there's a fair out after 3 years, and you can minimize that risk quite a bit. Lines up with our 2024 SB window!!
He has two year left on his current contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-car ... ins-12307/

So to me the trade for him would be working as if that is all you would get from him. Don't want to be banking on a 32 year old WR being our guy. I don't think AZ will be trading him with that in mind. I think we would pay through the nose to land him and I don't think we need to do that.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:44 am I don’t get the Davenport love…has anyone looked at his stats? He finished like 17th in tackles….on the Saints. Also, he had a half of sack….A HALF.

Big fan or Ashawn Robinson

Ngakoue has issues….there’s a reason he keeps getting moved around

Love Monty being listed..he almost made my list
I like the potential he brings to the table. Much of his production has been limited due to injuries. That said, he is a second wave FA. No way should he get a big contract IMO. His injuries and production, or lack thereof, should limit how much he gets.
wab
Mod

RE: Hopkins - he's going to want an extension IMO, and I don't know about extending a 30yr old who's had the issues he has had recently.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Still only up to

1) CB Jamel Dean
2) RT Mike McGlinchey

Those are safe choices, because the draft crop of RT sucks and I don't see us getting to CB in 1-50, because there's so many other needs.
Haven't had time to dig more.
But WLB, I don't want in FA.
C, prefer draft, I think
DL - it's a little tough, because whatever you do limits your draft flexibility. Like getting Payne means scratching Carter. Getting a smallish DE means you need a bigger one in the draft (I know some people would be fine with 2 small. I would not.), etc.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:55 am Monty should have made my list at 4 because I don't really want Vander Esch. I was struggling to come up with a 4th. I like Z. Allen but he and Omenihu are fairly interchangeable. I think they tackle the interior of the OL in the draft.
Pretty sure Omenihu won't be under consideration by the Bears if there's much to this incident.

To answer the OP question:
  • any one of: Jawaan Taylor, Mike McGlinchey, Kaleb McGary, or Andrew Wylie at RT
  • any one of: Da'Ron Payne, Dre'Mont Jones, Zach Allen, or (dark horse) Shy Tuttle at DT
  • any one of: Jamel Dean, Rock Ya-Sin, or Amani Oruwariye at CB
  • David Montgomery
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:44 am
wab wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:55 am Monty should have made my list at 4 because I don't really want Vander Esch. I was struggling to come up with a 4th. I like Z. Allen but he and Omenihu are fairly interchangeable. I think they tackle the interior of the OL in the draft.
Pretty sure Omenihu won't be under consideration by the Bears if there's much to this incident.

To answer the OP question:
  • any one of: Jawaan Taylor, Mike McGlinchey, Kaleb McGary, or Andrew Wylie at RT
  • any one of: Da'Ron Payne, Dre'Mont Jones, Zach Allen, or (dark horse) Shy Tuttle at DT
  • any one of: Jamel Dean, Rock Ya-Sin, or Amani Oruwariye at CB
  • David Montgomery
Swap him out for Zach Allen then
IE
Hall of Famer

There's that reality (and I don't deny it) and then there is the reality that JF1 needs a true #1 WR. Like Mike Evans where who knows how much tread is left on the tires, I covet having one of these guys for JF1 if only for 2-3 years while Poles finds the real long term solution stud #1 WR through the draft that is not coming this year.

I see '23 as being THE crucial year for JF1 - so as my 90 year old mom says "beggars can't be choosers". The options to get JF1 the weapon he needs are few and uncertain. So yeah regardless of the facts you mentioned I'd still like Poles to pursue a workable situation with one of those guys as the bridge to the future. Nervous? Sure. Accepting the reality that an imperfect interim solution is probably neccessary for JF1 to have a better go-to guy for a couple of years? That's where I am.

I don't know what case Hop has to demand an extension of course that would factor into the feasibility of the deal and I wouldn't want Poles to do something insane. Hop has a no-trade clause so for it to happen he'd have to agree of course. He's expensive this year and less so next year. I don't see a problem with throwing on a year or even maybe two with incentives. He's not going to get $20MM per year extension. The worst thing he's going to be is a $15MM better-than-Arob WR and reasonably useful for 3 years. I'd very much prefer Mike Evans but like my mom says...

edit: My delusional dream is trading with the Raider for Adams. Sweet dreams are made of this.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Sheldon Rankins has always been very disruptive though he had some injury probs early in his career. He was reliable and excellent more recently for the Jets so I’m putting him on the dline shopping list.

Sheldon Rankins
DJ Chark
Zach Allen
Garrett Bradbury
Kaleb McGary
xyt in the discord chats
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

DHop is only 6 months older than Davante Adams
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

IE
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:13 pm Sheldon Rankins has always been very disruptive though he had some injury probs early in his career. He was reliable and excellent more recently for the Jets so I’m putting him on the dline shopping list.

Sheldon Rankins
DJ Chark
Zach Allen
Garrett Bradbury
Kaleb McGary
If there are no other good options to get a #1 stud WR then I DEFINITELY would prefer signing Chark for a few years over all other Plan B options (plan A being Adams/Evans/DJMoore/Hop trades). But Chark would come right after them, and he absolutely showed in the D that his abilities are not diminished post-injury. He's still really good.
cblaz11
MVP

I think we use some draft capital from 2024 to go after a WR

Brandon Aiuk, Jaylen Waddle, or Jeudy come to mind
LacertineForest
MVP

IE wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:02 pm

There's that reality (and I don't deny it) and then there is the reality that JF1 needs a true #1 WR. Like Mike Evans where who knows how much tread is left on the tires, I covet having one of these guys for JF1 if only for 2-3 years while Poles finds the real long term solution stud #1 WR through the draft that is not coming this year.

I see '23 as being THE crucial year for JF1 - so as my 90 year old mom says "beggars can't be choosers". The options to get JF1 the weapon he needs are few and uncertain. So yeah regardless of the facts you mentioned I'd still like Poles to pursue a workable situation with one of those guys as the bridge to the future. Nervous? Sure. Accepting the reality that an imperfect interim solution is probably neccessary for JF1 to have a better go-to guy for a couple of years? That's where I am.

I don't know what case Hop has to demand an extension of course that would factor into the feasibility of the deal and I wouldn't want Poles to do something insane. Hop has a no-trade clause so for it to happen he'd have to agree of course. He's expensive this year and less so next year. I don't see a problem with throwing on a year or even maybe two with incentives. He's not going to get $20MM per year extension. The worst thing he's going to be is a $15MM better-than-Arob WR and reasonably useful for 3 years. I'd very much prefer Mike Evans but like my mom says...

edit: My delusional dream is trading with the Raider for Adams. Sweet dreams are made of this.
I like your line of thinking. I also love the idea of getting Adams, but I think it's more likely that the Raiders make a deal for Rodgers than it is that the Bears trade for Adams.
bbaker
Journeyman

LacertineForest wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:24 pm
I like your line of thinking. I also love the idea of getting Adams, but I think it's more likely that the Raiders make a deal for Rodgers than it is that the Bears trade for Adams.
How awesome would it be if they did both? Raiders trade for Rodgers, then trade Adams to recoup some of the draft capital they gave up for Rodgers.

I would love it if only just to see Rodgers' face explode.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

1. Payne - but I'm going to give you 5 names as I don't think he makes it to FA.

2. Dre'Mont Jones - if somehow Payne makes it to FA, you can take him off the list.

3. Michael Thomas - all signs point to him getting cut due to how they reworked his contact. If he doesn't get cut, pivot to D.J. Chark

4. Yannick Ngakoue

5. An OT. Hard for me to give a name here because some of it will depend on the contract being given to them. My preference in order is McGlinchey, Taylor then McGary. I'm fine with any of them, but if someone gets into excess money move on the the next.
wab
Mod

I could be convinced to take a flyer on Thomas, but man...he's only played like what 8 games in 3 years?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Everytime I've looked at the FA list I've struggled to actually narrow down who I'd want as a matter of priority. A near limitless ability to set the market makes it harder to decide in some way maybe, lol.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:47 pm I could be convinced to take a flyer on Thomas, but man...he's only played like what 8 games in 3 years?
He's clearly a risk reward signing. Simply not overwhelmed by the WR that will be there in FA. Get him on a one year deal while still drafting a guy is the route I think makes the most since. But if we can't sign him, I think we have to get someone with some sort of validation stat wise into the WR room, so I say Chark.