Free Agency- Give me 4 names

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

Love Michael Thomas the health player. Hate the idea of paying him any more than Pringle money if he's going to see about the same amount of games (which IS the trend). It is too bad - healthy, he's a monster. His body seems to be giving out.

As opposed to Hops - who I believe got caught using PEDs to overcome previous injury & now appears quite healthy.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:23 am
RustinFields wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:15 am apparently IE and I disagree on something. :D
There's a first for everything. Next, Rich and dplank will disagree on something. :welcome:
We both love you Judge and that will never change!
Heinz D.
MVP

wab wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:25 am * I don't think Payne makes it to FA.
Isn't their cap situation kinda nasty, though? Thought I read that here somewheres...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
BigDaddy
Practice Squad

RustinFields wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:14 am
dplank wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:14 am
2. D. Hopkins - I know he’s not exactly a FA but they announced they are trading him, so he’s more likely available than Payne is. This changes our entire offense IMO
Hopkins' 30 and coming off a PED suspension... physical WR's (like brandon marshall) just tend to hit a certain age and fall off a cliff. 5 years ago i would have given my left nut to get Hopkins but now he's at that age where he's still expensive as hell but could turn into a pumpkin at any minute. I'd be insanely nervous if we traded for him.
Completely agree with Rustin... I am not giving any draft capital for a 30 YO WR .coming off a PED suspension. Not at this point in our roster development
rtd
Practice Squad

1 Duron Payne dt
2 Dremont Jones UT
3 Mike McGlinchy RT
4 Yannick Ngakoue DE
Feed the trenchs. Draft defence and WR3,4, or trade for a WR1. Keep Monty at a fair price.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:29 pm Love Michael Thomas the health player. Hate the idea of paying him any more than Pringle money if he's going to see about the same amount of games (which IS the trend). It is too bad - healthy, he's a monster. His body seems to be giving out.

As opposed to Hops - who I believe got caught using PEDs to overcome previous injury & now appears quite healthy.
I will admit getting him to come to Chicago may be problematic. I don't see him coming on a one-year "proof it" deal. I'd think if he wants that he might be looking for a more established/stable QB situation. Of course he may also look at the WR room and say, I can dominate what they have and easily get the lion's share of targets.

I think he would need to be paid more than Pringle was. Given our cap situation, I don't think that's a bad idea. But if we give him a decent chuck for next year, I'd like to see it be at least a 2 year deal. Maybe even structure the deal in such a way that if he can hit certain criteria the second year locks in. Not something like 10% of the snaps, but some sort of meaningful performance - 1000 yards, 90 catchs, or 10 TDs. Something that if he hits it, it shows he is performing at the high leave he has in the past.
wab
Mod

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:50 pm
wab wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:25 am * I don't think Payne makes it to FA.
Isn't their cap situation kinda nasty, though? Thought I read that here somewheres...
Cutting Wentz nearly doubles their cap space.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Dre'mont Jones. McGary. Risner/Seumalo. Gesiki/Engram.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Heinz D.
MVP

wab wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:52 am Cutting Wentz nearly doubles their cap space.
Is that a probability? I honestly don't know.
wab
Mod

Heinz D. wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:33 am
wab wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:52 am Cutting Wentz nearly doubles their cap space.
Is that a probability? I honestly don't know.
Yeah, he's getting cut.

https://overthecap.com/player/carson-wentz/4715
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Kahlil Mack is suddenly being linked to us to sign after he gets cut by the Chargers
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:21 pm Kahlil Mack is suddenly being linked to us to sign after he gets cut by the Chargers
I saw that he supposedly said he would be interested in rejoining the Bears...he's a big Justin Fields fan. I'd be fine with that.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:22 pm
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:21 pm Kahlil Mack is suddenly being linked to us to sign after he gets cut by the Chargers
I saw that he supposedly said he would be interested in rejoining the Bears...he's a big Justin Fields fan. I'd be fine with that.
What a coup that would be...get Brisker for renting out Mack for 1 year, while also resetting his financials with us? hahaha that would be awesome, but seems unlikely.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:29 pm
wab wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:22 pm

What a coup that would be...get Brisker for renting out Mack for 1 year, while also resetting his financials with us? hahaha that would be awesome, but seems unlikely.
Holy crap yes - and at a market price. With the team being able to afford him now. What a cool turn of events that would be.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Not at the expense of drafting somebody like Anderson, Murphy, Carter or Carter II the DE from Army.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:57 pm
Not at the expense of drafting somebody like Anderson, Murphy, Carter or Carter II the DE from Army.
Yeah, I mean it's unlikely but I don't think it would preclude the Bears from drafting any of those guys.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’d be fine with Mack and drafting a DE.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:04 pm

Yeah, I mean it's unlikely but I don't think it would preclude the Bears from drafting any of those guys.
My Guy is still Murphy all the way but I really like Carter II from Army using a trade down pick.

Where do you think he’ll go?
Heinz D.
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:16 pm My Guy is still Murphy all the way but I really like Carter II from Army using a trade down pick.

That's a VERY good question. The sims are all having him at late first, or early-to-mid second. The mocks I've seen usually have him late second (I believe).

But he looks really talented, from what I've seen. Of course, the competition wasn't always the best, but he's got potential. Maybe the combine will decide that? I dunno.
Heinz D.
MVP

That would be spectacular.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:16 pm

My Guy is still Murphy all the way but I really like Carter II from Army using a trade down pick.

In all likelihood, Carter faces a redshirt year, at least, because he just doesn't appear strong enough to play right now. (Service academy guys are usually very good all-around athletes, but don't train for power the way that, say, Alabama and Georgia do.)

But he's got a TON of potential, and if he hits, you've got Jared Allen. I would guess mid-to-late Day 2, pending testing at the Combine and medicals, hopefully to a team that can afford to be patient with him.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

@Heinz D.
@thunderspirit

He’s a total lotto ticket player to me however I think it’s a high probability lotto ticket.

6’7”
Army work ethic.
Highly successful despite relying upon mainly natural ability.

If Flus is the defensive guy that he’s supposed to be this is somebody that learns advanced skills and just dominates.

I just see having a DL with Murphy on one end and then a combo of a veteran and Carter II rotating in and loving it.

Then any sort of upgrades on the DL and Carter II immediately gets better because he won’t be double teamed.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

IMO, Mack has 1-2 years of high level play left where he play most downs , and maybe another 2-3 where I'd want him to only be out there on 3rd downs to maximize his usefulness.
That gets us 1 side of the D line set until we can address it later with draft picks.

But we're getting set up to make a run. we need a few vet playmakers.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:52 pm

In all likelihood, Carter faces a redshirt year, at least, because he just doesn't appear strong enough to play right now. (Service academy guys are usually very good all-around athletes, but don't train for power the way that, say, Alabama and Georgia do.)

But he's got a TON of potential, and if he hits, you've got Jared Allen. I would guess mid-to-late Day 2, pending testing at the Combine and medicals, hopefully to a team that can afford to be patient with him.
I really like the Allen comp
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:06 pm

IMO, Mack has 1-2 years of high level play left where he play most downs , and maybe another 2-3 where I'd want him to only be out there on 3rd downs to maximize his usefulness.
That gets us 1 side of the D line set until we can address it later with draft picks.

But we're getting set up to make a run. we need a few vet playmakers.
I'm not arguing against signing Mack if the price is right.

I think it's a good idea IF Mack is not the primary DE (he focuses mainly on the right side of the OL). Then who better to teach a guy like Carter II who would then be DE3 for a year or so and then start when Mack inevitably gets hurt again?
Heinz D.
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:38 pmI just see having a DL with Murphy on one end and then a combo of a veteran and Carter II rotating in and loving it.
Oh, that definitely is intriguing, no doubt about that.

But, to snag BOTH those guys? You'd probably have to ignore some other crucial needs. OR have a completely awesome trade-down scenario unfold. Like, maybe, the Texans' picks...
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:31 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:38 pmI just see having a DL with Murphy on one end and then a combo of a veteran and Carter II rotating in and loving it.

But, to snag BOTH those guys? You'd probably have to ignore some other crucial needs. OR have a completely awesome trade-down scenario unfold. Like, maybe, the Texans' picks...
It all depends on how FA goes. The trade down would give us extra picks and using one of those on Carter II to me makes sense.

We need an entirely new DL. Between FA and the draft we need four guys.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:31 pm

I've done a lot of sims where I hit DE with the first 2 picks.

You've got to do at least 1 trade down, get an extra R2 as part of it, and other positions have to wait until the Raven (Roquan) R2 - but it usually works out pretty well.

viewtopic.php?t=16323&start=90
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

He's done a lot of yo-yoing

not on the radar
explodes onto the scene with a massive 2021
oh, his Armed Forces commitment is going to be a problem
nevermind, it isn't
oh, his numbers cratered in 2022
that's ok, he was keyed on a lot and he's still a physical freak
last I heard, he wasn't looking good in the early Senior Bowl practices
but Combine may send him back up again
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:41 pm last I heard, he wasn't looking good in the early Senior Bowl practices
Yep. It's part of why it's clear how much stronger he needs to get.
Moriarty wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:41 pm but Combine may send him back up again
Yep.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: