College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

https://shrinebowl.com/east-roster/
https://shrinebowl.com/west-roster/

https://theathletic.com/4134211/2023/01 ... ng-report/
East-West Shrine Bowl: Day 1 standouts, including 2 QBs, disruptive D-linemen
LAS VEGAS — The first practices for the East and West teams at the Shrine Bowl are in the books in Las Vegas. Here is a position-by-position look at a crop of players who stood out on Day 1 and others I will be keeping an eye on as the rest of the week of practices unfolds in the desert.

Quarterback
The top quarterbacks for their respective Shrine Bowl teams, O’Connell and Thompson-Robinson flashed enough throws Saturday to keep them on the radar for teams. Thompson-Robinson had an impressive hole-shot throw that showed zip and anticipation. O’Connell was accurate working over the intermediate area during the seven-on-seven period. Both will be interesting to watch throughout the week as they develop a comfort level with their receivers and the plays being run.

Running back
Deneric Prince, Tulsa
Prince not only started the week strong, measuring in at 5-11 5/8 and 217 pounds, but he showed off more wiggle and burst Saturday than his tape alluded to at Tulsa. Prince has longer legs than you typically see from running backs, but it did not seem to hinder his route running during one-on-ones versus linebackers, being able to sink and consistently catch the football. Prince had solid, but not overwhelming stats in college. It’s just a padded practice, but showing burst and explosiveness to pull away from defenders and three-down receiving ability made practice observers take note.

Mohamed Ibrahim, Minnesota
Ibrahim was extremely productive even with battling injuries throughout his college playing days at Minnesota. Ibrahim wins with his vision and feel as a runner, so it was a pleasant surprise to see some burst through the hole. That made him pop even without the benefit of All-22 coaches’ tape of practice.

Ibrahim also had a strong day as a receiver, where his patience carried over with his route running. He showed detail and feel in both individual and team periods.

Wide receiver
Sadly, Zay Flowers from Boston College will not be practicing this week during the Shrine Bowl. Otherwise, his name would be highlighted, starred and underlined for this portion of the article.

Perry loaded up the box score at Wake Forest and had a productive first day in Las Vegas. The simplistic offense the Demon Deacons ran made Perry’s route periods one to watch. He displayed a good amount of polish with his route depths and ability to sink on breaking routes that will only help his stock. Perry’s long speed will continue to be questioned until the combine or his pro day. His ball skills, length and ability to beat press were on display Saturday. He was the quarterbacks’ go-to guy throughout the day.

Cropper lined up outside and in the slot Saturday and showed off smooth route running and strong hands in team periods. Seeing him win on the outside, especially against press, was a huge box to check. Continuing to do so the rest of the week makes Cropper an intriguing name to keep an eye on in the middle rounds. Polish is the name of Cropper’s game, so showing twitch and strength right away will make sure scouts keep his name circled for the rest of the week and beyond.

Tight ends/fullbacks
Colletto’s teammate TE Luke Musgrave is starting to attract plenty of buzz as draft season picks up steam. Colletto, a fullback who also played linebacker at Oregon State, was the 2022 recipient of the Paul Hornung Award as the nation’s most versatile player. Colletto showed off the versatility Saturday that is essentially a prerequisite for the fullback position in today’s NFL. Colletto lined up in the backfield and moonlighted as an F tight end in two-tight end formations. He showed a surprisingly polished route tree, reliable hands and athleticism that allow him to line up all over the formation as opposed to just the backfield like we expect most fullbacks.

Offensive line
Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas
Stromberg started off with a great week with his measurements, tipping the scales at 315 pounds and also measuring with 33 1/8-inch arms. Both are incredibly important to man the pivot position in today’s NFL as teams start bulking up their interior defensive linemen again.

It’s not just size and length that make Stromberg stand out. He was strong in team periods, blasting holes in the middle in the running game and providing clear lanes for the West team’s running backs to attack. Stromberg’s footwork will be something to continue to watch in pass protection, but his length and strength got him off to a strong start during Shrine Bowl week.

Kadeem Telfort, UAB
Telfort is hard to miss. He is a legitimate 6-foot-7 with arms that measured an eye-popping 35 7/8 inches. His length, of course, is very apparent. But Telfort flashed athleticism and the ability to recover during individual drills against defensive linemen. He has elite size but is still raw with his hand usage and technique. If he can show off workable footwork and balance during this week’s practice, teams will take note.

Defensive line
Brenton Cox, Florida
Talent has never been a question with Cox, and it was on full display Saturday. He was more than a handful at times for the West’s offense to block. At times, he was winning instantly on plays and in the backfield before the quarterback could even get the ball to the running back or finish his dropback. If Cox can show that he can play within the structure of the defense and not ad-lib on plays this week, he has more than enough athleticism and length to keep teams intrigued.

Nothing like some beef in the middle of the defensive line to get you fired up — Mustipher was tough to move in the run game all day. He even showed solid handwork and won instantly to get into the backfield and disrupt the run game during the West team’s practice.

Mustipher will never be a true passing-down threat. But continuing to plug runs will only help his case to be a useful player at the next level.

Linebacker
Drake Thomas, North Carolina State
An instinctive, tackling machine in college, Thomas’ measurements (5-11, 228 pounds, 29 1/8-inch arms) will cause plenty of hesitation when evaluating his game. Seeing how he holds up in coverage this week and if he can keep some of the longer offensive linemen off him in the run game will help his stock tremendously.

LSU’s Mekhi Garner (Jerome Miron / USA Today)
Defensive back
Mekhi Garner, LSU
Garner won the measurements battle of Shrine week — 6-1 1/2, 220 pounds with 32 1/2-inch arms. Garner looked more like a safety or undersized linebacker than an outside cornerback. Garner is a physical player and more than held his own during one-on-one route periods. Showing real coverage ability this week along with his size and length makes him an intriguing name to watch during the draft process. Would love to see how he handles playing in the slot this week during practice.

D’Shawn Jamison, Texas
Jamison is an undersized cornerback (5-9, 186 pounds) but his competitive play style showed up immediately. Jamison had one of, if not the best days for the East cornerbacks during individual periods against wide receivers. Playing with smart physicality, Jamison created issues for receivers of all shapes and sizes. While Jamison lacks size, he has OK length (31 1/4-inch arms) and showed hand-eye coordination when playing the ball throughout the day, contesting and knocking throws to the ground.

I’m excited to see Jamison compete the rest of the week and hope to see him work on the inside and see whether his competitive play style holds up in the more physical aspects of the game
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
wab
Mod

Garner is an intriguing player.
wulfy
MVP

I've been interested in Ricky Stromberg, the C from Arkansas who should be available in the late 3rd/early 4th. Read a description of him as "schoolyard bully" in his style of play. I'd like more Nasty on the O-Line.
wab
Mod

wulfy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:05 am I've been interested in Ricky Stromberg, the C from Arkansas who should be available in the late 3rd/early 4th. Read a description of him as "schoolyard bully" in his style of play. I'd like more Nasty on the O-Line.
I like him because he can play both guard and center.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:22 am
wulfy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:05 am I've been interested in Ricky Stromberg, the C from Arkansas who should be available in the late 3rd/early 4th. Read a description of him as "schoolyard bully" in his style of play. I'd like more Nasty on the O-Line.
Stromberg or Juice Scruggs would be grand, Mr. Poles, thanks.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Also Anfernee Orji is one of the few LB prospects I really like in this year's draft, and he's been showing why through the weekend practices.
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:10 am Also Anfernee Orji is one of the few LB prospects I really like in this year's draft, and he's been showing why through the weekend practices.
Dude was an absolute STUD down here in north texas.
wab
Mod

The child in me just wants to hear the announcers say "orgy" a hundred times a game.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:15 am The child in me just wants to hear the announcers say "orgy" a hundred times a game.
We are all twelve. :lol:
KFFL refugee.

wulfy
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:15 am The child in me just wants to hear the announcers say "orgy" a hundred times a game.
Good Lord .... Jeff Joniak will butcher that one.
karhu
Head Coach

Seriously, though, an Orji would really bring the LB corps together.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
karhu
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:40 am
wab wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:22 am

Scruggs has had himself a week so far. He never jumped out at me, but if he's beating up on Keondre Coburn, he deserves a place among our late-round options.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:02 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:40 am

Scruggs has had himself a week so far. He never jumped out at me, but if he's beating up on Keondre Coburn, he deserves a place among our late-round options.
Scruggs feels very much like Stromberg's little brother (though ironically, Stromberg's almost a year younger, LOL) — a little smaller, not quite as brute strong, but makes up for it in really good attention to technical detail.

I'd be happy with the Bears landing either.
KFFL refugee.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

A nice collection of videos on some Shrine Bowl prospects.
KFFL refugee.

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

AT Perry looked good in some of the practice reps and hoped he would show well in the game. Not good, 2 contested incompletions. The other opportunity he had was thrown poorly and he could not come back on it.

Had a chance early on to make a really nice one-handed grab while CB Eric Scott Jr. was hanging on to Perry's left arm. It was an obvious PI that was not called against the West.

O'Connel to Perry at ~ :40 seconds in from the highlights.

Also, found an interview from Shrine Bowl week. It is from a Steelers perspective with a shout out to Alshon Jeffery from Perry. (*Warning* audio quality is spotty and rough)

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka