Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

longest. offseason. ever.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Poles showing up to every FA OL meeting like

wab
Mod

RustinFields wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:22 pm longest. offseason. ever.
It really is going to be.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:32 pm
The next month is going to be brutal. Then when FA starts it'll be fun as hell for a month until the draft. Then post draft.....ugh. So we have like 5 weeks of shit tweets to suffer through, then the fun begins!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:23 pm Poles showing up to every FA OL meeting like

And every free agent OL is going to go to meetings with Poles like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
karhu
Head Coach

My goodness. A tweet publicizing an article built around another article whose big contribution to the conversation is a quote from an unnamed "league source" who "confirmed the obvious--there is already talk that the Bears will be active in free agency on the offensive line."

At least that's a half-dozen "journalists" off the street and earning their crumbs. Bless.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
malk
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:23 pm Poles showing up to every FA OL meeting like

We're going to need to splash a bunch of cash on day 1 just to stop every free agent trying to add on a few million of 2023 Bears special sauce.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yep. That's what happens when you starting thinking about the off season in week 7 or so.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

malk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:20 pm

We're going to need to splash a bunch of cash on day 1 just to stop every free agent trying to add on a few million of 2023 Bears special sauce.
Payne?

I don’t know about the quality available in FA worthy of a cash-splash.
Maybe front load some contracts?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:21 pm

Yep. That's what happens when you starting thinking about the off season in week 7 or so.
Week 7? It took that long for you this year?
IE
Hall of Famer

Assuming Poles is bringing a little of his mentality from the Chiefs... how did they build their Oline? They DID pay bucks for Orlando Brown. But that was to get instant replacement for Fisher, right? Other than that, how did they build their Oline? FA or the draft?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:22 pm Assuming Poles is bringing a little of his mentality from the Chiefs... how did they build their Oline? They DID pay bucks for Orlando Brown. But that was to get instant replacement for Fisher, right? Other than that, how did they build their Oline? FA or the draft?
This is something I looked at last year right after Poles was hired, and the answer is, mostly via the draft.

(The years in yellow indicate after Poles moved out of the Director of College Scouting position.)

KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Fwiw PFF Brad doesn't think the cash issue will be a negotiating point against Bears (if that's what you're referring to).

But there is usually an implicit "worst team in league" tax that yea, they'll probably pay on most deals.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:22 pm Assuming Poles is bringing a little of his mentality from the Chiefs... how did they build their Oline? They DID pay bucks for Orlando Brown. But that was to get instant replacement for Fisher, right? Other than that, how did they build their Oline? FA or the draft?
Mixed but mostly through the draft. They traded for Brown and signed both Thuney and Mitchell Schwartz, but the rest of the starters and key contributors have traditionally been through the draft.

I'll also double down and bring up the Philly OL that Cunningham had a hand in building...all drafted. The Eagles don't have a single free agent signing on the offensive line.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:56 pm
Mixed but mostly through the draft. They traded for Brown and signed both Thuney and Mitchell Schwartz, but the rest of the starters and key contributors have traditionally been through the draft.

I'll also double down and bring up the Philly OL that Cunningham had a hand in building...all drafted. The Eagles don't have a single free agent signing on the offensive line.
Yeah that's right. I do suspect that is Poles' mentality.

But that doesn't mean he will be inactive on the Oline and stand pat. If he orchestrates trade downs as it looks like he'll be able, he should end up with some extra 2nd and 3rd rounders, and can bring in some horses. I don't want to get delusional but it looksl like he might be able to pull off two trades, still get a DL he covets AND get those extra picks for the Oline.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:14 pm File this under "no shit".

That’s like saying I like AC/DC.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

They also signed Thunney in FA. But I seem to remember one starter in the 6th round qnd other draft picks.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:56 pm

This is true.

Cunningham became Philly's Director of College Scouting in 2017 — that year the Eagles didn't draft an offensive lineman.
In 2018 they drafted Matt Pryor in Round 6 and Jordan Mailata about 30 selections later in Round 7. I'd say Mailata worked out okay (40 of 45 games started), and Pryor has 24 starts in his 60 games as a spot starter/solid backup.
Cunningham moved to Assistant Director of Player Personnel in 2019; the Eagles took Andre Dillard in the first round. Dillard hasn't worked out well, he's had 9 starts in his 43 games. :(
In 2020, they drafted Jack Driscoll in Round 4 (37 games played, 16 starts) and Prince Tega Wanogho in Round 6 (played 1 game for PHI in 2020, then 18 more for KC after a futures contract, no starts).
Cunningham moved to Director of Player Personnel in 2021, the year they drafted Landon Dickerson in the 2nd round (30 of 31 games started).

Both Poles and Cunningham come from teams that have regularly invested Day 2 picks in the offensive line, and not been afraid to take chances on Day 3 guys there too, with some success.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:32 pm

I was saying that from a general standpoint. As to me it was week 17. Was holding out that they would say the refs screwed us so many times we were going to be award the number 1 seed going into the playoffs. Only last night did I acknowledge we wouldn't be playing in the Super Bowl.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:26 pm
Grizzled wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:32 pm

I was saying that from a general standpoint. As to me it was week 17. Was holding out that they would say the refs screwed us so many times we were going to be award the number 1 seed going into the playoffs. Only last night did I acknowledge we wouldn't be playing in the Super Bowl.
I partly judge Bears teams by how many weeks into the season I start looking indepth at how the team can improve in the offseason. In 2018, for the first time in a long time, I didn't pay attention all season as the team rolled to that 12-4 record. 2020 and 2021, it was pretty much after the 1st game, I could see those teams just didn't cut it. This year, it was week 2 after the loss to the Pack, the horrible offensive showing with JF passing maybe 10 times. I realized it was going to be a long season. It was spiced up with his running but no D and no passing game made for a long season.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:38 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:26 pm

I partly judge Bears teams by how many weeks into the season I start looking indepth at how the team can improve in the offseason. In 2018, for the first time in a long time, I didn't pay attention all season as the team rolled to that 12-4 record. 2020 and 2021, it was pretty much after the 1st game, I could see those teams just didn't cut it. This year, it was week 2 after the loss to the Pack, the horrible offensive showing with JF passing maybe 10 times. I realized it was going to be a long season. It was spiced up with his running but no D and no passing game made for a long season.
This post reads like a Shakespearean tragedy yet I agree with every word and I’ve done the same thing.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Also being reported today that water is wet.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Exactly. I started around week 14, but same concept for sure.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
malk
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:51 pm

Fwiw PFF Brad doesn't think the cash issue will be a negotiating point against Bears (if that's what you're referring to).

But there is usually an implicit "worst team in league" tax that yea, they'll probably pay on most deals.
I have a slight worry that there'll be a bit of a psychological effect where we could offer the same deal as another team and ours would be perceived as a low ball offer just be because we have the most to spend. But this is molehill mountain territory.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wulfy
MVP

malk wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:00 am
The Cooler King wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:51 pm

I have a slight worry that there'll be a bit of a psychological effect where we could offer the same deal as another team and ours would be perceived as a low ball offer just be because we have the most to spend. But this is molehill mountain territory.
You saw the Last Place Tax last year with the Jaguars ..... way "overpaid" for Christian Kirk but needed to in order to secure the player. BTW, Christian Kirk was pretty good this year.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:45 am
Grizzled wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:38 am

This post reads like a Shakespearean tragedy yet I agree with every word and I’ve done the same thing.
Not The Bard but sums up the Bears over the years pretty well. Hopefully they have become the wise man finally:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IE
Hall of Famer

I don't see the Bears suffering from a loser tax in attracting FA at all.

First of all, because it is their job and they want to max their income - it is more about the Bears winning the deal for them and very little about the record.

And then second, these players aren't dummies. They know what happened with the Bears in '22 in context and they're not going to just assume that another 3 win season is coming.

Thirdly, they saw JF1 carrying the team on his back and I think players really want to help him be great and be part of it on both sides of the ball - help him on offense and help stop someone for him on defense. JF1 IS an attraction.

Then lastly for defensive players they know what they can do, and how they can help individually. They know Poles is out there with his big sack of cash and picks, and who doesn't want to be part of a brand spanking new monster defensive front on the Midway?

I think last season's record not only will have no impact on FA recruitment, but the *reasons why* the record was what it was are actually part of the attraction - Poles did a reset so they're in a position to fix it, and are.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Poles is a shrewd operator.
He will pay the value, he won’t overpay
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:56 pm Poles is a shrewd operator.
He will pay the value, he won’t overpay
If he won’t overpay, he won’t get any players. That’s how free agency works unfortunately.