Senior Bowl Stuff

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Reed was already becoming one of my favorite prospects, that pretty much just cemented him near the top.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Last edited by bearsoldier on Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Dawand got a concussion
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Moriarty wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:33 am Dawand got a concussion
Thanks Moriarty, that explains why he has not been on the field for the last few practices. He is the RT we need and the tie to JF from Ohio State makes it a great fit.
wulfy
MVP

The game itself is meh.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Indeed. But the value is seeing player execution in the game. I tend to watch the trenches when I watch these games — the practices are where you see the skill positions shine, but the game shows off the linemen a bit more.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

wulfy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:34 pm The game itself is meh.
Yes, but it was great for an afternoon nap for this old man! :)
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I thought Matthew Bergeron looked solid all week at tackle and also in today's game.

Karl Brooks was disruptive as hell from DT.

Enjoyed watching Evan Hull do Evan Hull things, and Tyjae Spears show off his explosiveness.
KFFL refugee.

EricTighe
MVP

bearsoldier wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:01 pm
Thanks Moriarty, that explains why he has not been on the field for the last few practices. He is the RT we need and the tie to JF from Ohio State makes it a great fit.
Heard Friday that it was a headache and was being careful. Then it was reported said he dominated on day 1 and had no reason to continue practicing. Keshaun and Arrigton said it was a smart business decision to stop practicing right there and then.

He is still my top O-Line prospect in this draft. Perfect fit for what we need. Too strong to bull rush and too long to get around. Knows how to use the gifts he was born with. Unfortunately, they are saying he has cemented himself in the first round. I was hoping to get him in the second or with our third. I heard a Big twelve coach say he was better than Paris Johnson at Ohio State when they game planned against them.
EricTighe
MVP

Few other notes listening and reading all these notes.

People who stood out.
iOL John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota- Best week of all O-lineman.

OT Dawand Jones, Ohio State- Dominated Day 1. Took the rest of the week off with nothing else to prove.

EDGE Will McDonald, IV, Iowa State= Un-blockable in pass rushing drills. Not as dominate against run. Perfect fit for team looking for a 3/4 OLB pass rusher.

TE Payne Durham, Purdue- Started slow on day 1 then praised all week. Looks like our type of TE. Great run blocker and a train when he gets the ball.

iOL Cody Mauch, North Dakota State- One scout said if you would've asked him to punt he would of tried it. He may have cemented himself as the top interior lineman. He moved to center during the week and looked like a natural. Guy can play everywhere on the line and that is defiantly in demand.

S Sydney Brown, Illinois= The rave of the safety's and it wasn't even close. One side note. Scouts raved about him being a great leader and teammate during the week.

DL Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin- was solid all week. Somedays dominated other days was just great.

DL Karl Brooks, Grambling State- Honestly didn't know anything about him until this week. Had a great week.

RB Tyjae Spears, Tulane- heard more then one scout compare him Cohen. Stood out everyday,

Michael Wilson, WR, Stanford- Everyday he was mentioned about a great day and being uncoverable. Quick twitchy feet and catches everything. Best WR all week,

Adetomiwa Adebawore, DL, Northwestern- Day 1 was rough as they moved him inside. Said he was trying to get cute with his hands all the time. Took to coaching and then dominated the rest of the week playing inside. Love this kid. Non-stop motor, strong as hell, quick as a cat. This could be the steal of the draft at DT.

Darius Rush, CB, South Carolina- Had a great week. Some say he may even go in the second round now.

Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State- The question about him was whether he could cover. The question was answered in a big way. Yes, he can.

Keion White, Edge, Georgia Tech- nothing great but kept hearing all he did was cement himself as a 1st rounder.

Jayden Reed, WR, Michigan State- had a great week.

Andrei Iosivas WR, Princeton- Nothing spectacular, Heard he cemented himself as a top 50-100 player who the scouts think will rise after the combine and pro days. Route running was better than thought and his hands were better than thought.

Marte Mapu, LB Sacramento - Who and where? Kid proved he can play with the big boys.Special teams demon in year one. Where he ends up as a player is up to him. People raved about him all week whether it was because they didn't know anything about him or he was actually that good time will tell.

RB Evan Hull, Northwestern Some raved about him others said nothing. If all you get is good reviews it is worth noting.

RB Chris Rodriguez Jr., Kentucky Was everything everyone thought he was. Solid week.

iOL Steve Avila, TCU- Once he got going he was a steam roller, He has a lot of work to do but showed willingness. Could be a late day three sleeper,

TE Luke Musgrave Oregon State- Looked like the best TE out there. Better Pass catcher then a blocker. Was clocked at 18.5 MPH on a day he felt slow. Hit over 20MPH this kid can run and catch.

WR Nathaniel Dell Houston 5083 163- He is small but had a great week. I mean if he was bigger he might have been the talk of the week.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Keeanu Benton is just a solid player. Hes not super flashy but he really is a force. Hes a high caliber starter level NT with even some upside. I'd take him any scheme and be happy.
karhu
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:49 pm Karl Brooks was disruptive as hell from DT.
Thank you. I don't know if he qualifies as a sleeper, and he's more of a grinder than a blink-and-he's-past-you DT, but yeah, super-impressive. In some scenarios, I could see taking him in the third.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Brown brothers from Illinois are both leader types. Mike Brown/Monty class leaders. Would love to see them both stay in orange and blue.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Some final Senior Bowl stuff:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/se ... position=8

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/se ... ae-spears/

BTW: Names like Puka and Yaya have to merit some attention. Tyjae Spears sounds like the real deal. The Bears have gone to the Tulane well a couple of times with success, maybe they'll strike with a guy from it again.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
cblaz11
MVP

That Tulane RB looks legit
wulfy
MVP

cblaz11 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:17 pm That Tulane RB looks legit
We have a good history with Tulane RBs.

RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:49 pm
cblaz11 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:49 pm

I don’t see it…it takes a special talent for a RT or OG to go in first rd 1. I like both guys, but both have athleticism concerns(foot speed)
Eh, Cole Strange went in the first last year. Mauch is a better prospect than him. Probably a better prospect than Zion Johnson too.

And I'd argue that Dewand is as good of a prospect as Trevor Penning.

I'm not saying they are going top 12. But early in the 20's...quite possible.
I'd bet against it for the North Dakota kid

I thought he was like 85 % of Quinn Meinerz
RichH55
Hall of Famer

He was awesome all week

I'm an Illini homer and want both the Brown brothers - but Spears was the best there at HB and it wasn't close
RichH55
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:58 pm The Brown brothers from Illinois are both leader types. Mike Brown/Monty class leaders. Would love to see them both stay in orange and blue.
Here here

My mocks will all show this
RichH55
Hall of Famer

bearsoldier wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:20 am
Its not a great play for evaluation purposes - He was covered decently by a DL

It was a nice throw (those were few and far between all week)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:31 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:49 pm Karl Brooks was disruptive as hell from DT.
Thank you. I don't know if he qualifies as a sleeper, and he's more of a grinder than a blink-and-he's-past-you DT, but yeah, super-impressive. In some scenarios, I could see taking him in the third.
He was good all week

They played him at DE in College
RichH55
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:29 pm The OG from Florida is dominating the Sr Bowl…

Darnell Wright, as I predicted, looks very slow. He just got owners by Will McDonald
He was kind of meh (Wright)

The Florida kid - its gonna depend on your scheme IMHO.

He might never loss to a bullrush in his whole career. But quickness can get him
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure he did

I think he got the "Looked so good Day 1 that he doesn't need the rest of the week" blues
RichH55
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:23 pm Some LB prospects have really stepped up. Daiyan Henley is probably a third-rounder at worst and has been terrific in coverage, but the guy I'm really intrigued with is Marte Mapu. Excellent coverage and plays like a shotgun blast heading downhill, even though he's only 220 or so.
Henley is my guy after that week.

Winning 1 on 1s in coverage (multiple) at LB isn't a thing that usually happens
RichH55
Hall of Famer

BearsFanInMN wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:16 pm
karhu wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:33 pm TE isn't all that high on my list, but this might be the year to build the corps. Payne Durham has looked absolutely fantastic today. I seem to remember that he's got a reputation for being a blocker first, which is the way it should be, but his route running and hands have been nails. Like "what the fuck are we supposed to do against that?" good.
It’s not high for me but definitely want to draft someone late with some upside. Even if it’s he’s bigger and a little slow or undersized but is fast. There’s a lot of potential day 3 TE that have something that might be intriguing.
I liked Musgrave
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I am really high on Tajae Spears.
KFFL refugee.

RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:21 pm