Nagy the successor to Reid?

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

IE wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:46 am
Ormazd wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:04 am

Exactly! Most of the 2018 success was due to Fangio's defense.
Everyone around the league recognizes this. He's not longer admired and respected around the league like he may have been after '18. He was quickly exposed.

He does talk a good game, though - and given that many NFL owners are both rich and not very bright, I'm guessing he will talk someone into giving him another big chance.
I'm not sticking up for Nagy, but both Reid and Mahomes respect the hell out of him. The murky and disgruntled view we have of him as fans isn't necessarily how the NFL world sees him.

I'd wager that a lot of people around the NFL see him as the former coach of a floundering franchise who was saddled by a mistake at QB, yet still won coach of the year, managed a winning record, and went to the playoffs twice in 4 years. They will also see him as a super bowl winning assistant who is coaching one of the greatest QB's of this generation.

If Frank Reich is getting second coaching gigs, Nagy will get another one eventually.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:05 pm

Everyone around the league recognizes this. He's not longer admired and respected around the league like he may have been after '18. He was quickly exposed.

He does talk a good game, though - and given that many NFL owners are both rich and not very bright, I'm guessing he will talk someone into giving him another big chance.
I'm not sticking up for Nagy, but both Reid and Mahomes respect the hell out of him. The murky and disgruntled view we have of him as fans isn't necessarily how the NFL world sees him.

I'd wager that a lot of people around the NFL see him as the former coach of a floundering franchise who was saddled by a mistake at QB, yet still won coach of the year, managed a winning record, and went to the playoffs twice in 4 years. They will also see him as a super bowl winning assistant who is coaching one of the greatest QB's of this generation.

If Frank Reich is getting second coaching gigs, Nagy will get another one eventually.
Sure - they've never experienced having him in control.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
MoFugger
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:05 pm

☝️ This is one of the most honest, accurate, and well thought out post I've seen in a long time.
IE
Hall of Famer

Oh, I totally think the NFL will give Nagy another chance - because of the positive spin you shared wab. But the only think standing in between him and a losing record was Vic Fangio. Fangio won him coach of the year with that D, and without Fangio Nagy's performance was a joke - including that second "playoff" appearance. Will he get an Andy Reid / Mahomes halo? Almost certainly.

Caveat emptor.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Heinz D.
MVP

wab wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:05 pm If Frank Reich is getting second coaching gigs, Nagy will get another one eventually.
You might be right about that, but at least Reich is a good HC. The players, generally, liked Nagy, but that's really the only part of the job he did well.

I actually think it was stupid of the Colts to fire Reich. Ballard should have never allowed the QB-recycling thing to go on in the first place...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:05 pm Oh, I totally think the NFL will give Nagy another chance - because of the positive spin you shared wab. But the only think standing in between him and a losing record was Vic Fangio. Fangio won him coach of the year with that D, and without Fangio Nagy's performance was a joke - including that second "playoff" appearance. Will he get an Andy Reid / Mahomes halo? Almost certainly.

Caveat emptor.
I begrudgingly agree that Nagy will get another HC gig, but I think he’s going to orbit Andy Reid for a couple more years to see if he retires first.

Leaving the Mahomes Gravy Train is a big deal.

I just cannot believe this world sometimes.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Nagy calling plays in Green Bay :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

:puke:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Just commented in the 'New Coaches' forum. Eric Biennemy has been hired by the Commandos as their Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator. Will Nagy get promoted to Chief's Offensive Coordinator? If so, will he have play design/play calling capabilities? Biennemy was allowed some latitude in those areas. If so, has Nagy learned from his failed Bears tenure to actually work with the talent available? He is said to have a very close relationship with Mahomes, will that be the deciding factor in him getting the job?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:29 am Just commented in the 'New Coaches' forum. Eric Biennemy has been hired by the Commandos as their Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator. Will Nagy get promoted to Chief's Offensive Coordinator? If so, will he have play design/play calling capabilities? Biennemy was allowed some latitude in those areas. If so, has Nagy learned from his failed Bears tenure to actually work with the talent available? He is said to have a very close relationship with Mahomes, will that be the deciding factor in him getting the job?
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Nagy once said he wasn't an idiot... but he failed to ever prove otherwise. That being said he is like a salesman and apparently sells himself well.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Nagy's alot like a lesser Josh McDaniels. Give him a few years of success with Mahommes and I bet you he gets another shot. And just like McDaniels I doubt he learns from his mistakes and checks his ego. Hopefully that future failure will be with a team that benefits the Bears.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

RustinFields wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:20 pm

Wow; like WTF?! I've heard of "Club Dub" for sometime but this is my first time actually seeing it? Wow, I mean just wow? It still better than my dancing though, lol.