Top Draft Prospects- Defensive End, Edge

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

We have a Top Draft Prospects for DT but did not identify one for DE...

Being thin at DE after cutting Muhammed and needing DE's in general, we might pick a few DE's in the draft.

Many have Harrison going in the 2nd round... I have seen him listed as high as top 50 and also as low as 80.

Flus might want those long arms for blocking passes and great ability to strip the ball.

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I've seen him lower than 80.

Lots of play time with no production has him very middling for me.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:45 pm I've seen him lower than 80.

Lots of play time with no production has him very middling for me.
Same.

There are several edge guys I like in this year's class: Anudike-Uzomah, Hall, Horton, McGuire, Phelps, just off the top of my head. (I like Tulipulotu but think he's a 3 or 5 tech, not an edge.)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The free agent class of DEs is thin this year, I can see the Bears double-dipping in the draft. Haven't seen him play, what that Carter guy from Army? I've seen him in the 2nd in a couple of mock drafts.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:53 am ...Carter guy from Army? I've seen him in the 2nd in a couple of mock drafts.
He looks great in the highlight video. Every play really shows off his long frame. 82 1/8" Wingspan :o

Short video of him demonstrated a very humble team player to me... Looks like he would be a good fit... Nice call Grizzled.

He could put some more mass on his frame and thinking he would benefit greatly from NFL weight training.

wulfy
MVP

Andre Carter got manhandled by Dawand Jones early in Senior Bowl practices. Looked very middling vs Navy.

Lukas Van Ness is someone I really like.
EricTighe
MVP

Zach Harrison and Tyree Wilson have the athletic ability and size to warrant the top pick of the draft.

So what is missing?

These are the definition of Boom or Bust type players. There is no in-between. So you gamble on greatness. These two will defiantly win or lose their draft stock at the combine depending on their interviews.

By the way, I would gamble on both. Like both of them.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

bearsoldier wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:15 am
Grizzled wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:53 am ...Carter guy from Army? I've seen him in the 2nd in a couple of mock drafts.
He looks great in the highlight video. Every play really shows off his long frame. 82 1/8" Wingspan :o

Short video of him demonstrated a very humble team player to me... Looks like he would be a good fit... Nice call Grizzled.

He could put some more mass on his frame and thinking he would benefit greatly from NFL weight training.

The potential first-round pick will have to complete his military service immediately after graduation after President Joe Biden signed the National Defense Authorization Act, which eliminated giving service academy players from having to serve 2 years immediately upon graduation.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:15 pm
bearsoldier wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:15 am

The potential first-round pick will have to complete his military service immediately after graduation after President Joe Biden signed the National Defense Authorization Act, which eliminated giving service academy players from having to serve 2 years immediately upon graduation.

He escaped, due to timing.

https://www.nfl.com/news/army-s-andre-c ... 20Congress.
After news broke earlier this month that service-academy athletes could be barred from deferring their post-graduation service, lawmakers heard public outcry on the matter and went to work to change the bill as it was still working its way through Congress. Consequently, new language in the omnibus spending package grandfathered in all athletes enrolled prior to June 1, 2021, to the prior eligibility rules, as detailed on the 1,875th page of the bill that spans more than 4,000 pages. (Going forward, athletes enrolled after that date must fulfill their two years' service immediately following graduation.) The revised bill passed through the Senate and House last week before landing on President Biden's desk for signing.

Now, all that stands between Carter and a shot at the NFL is a waiver being granted from the Department of Defense. Since 2019, that has been considered a mere formality for the handful of NFL prospects from the service academies.

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Lukas Van Ness looks to be a bit of a destroyer
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

karhu
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:57 pm Lukas Van Ness looks to be a bit of a destroyer
That's only because he didn't start. His upside is Ticonderoga-class cruiser. And I think he's got a good chance of reaching it. The combine will tell, but right now he's my favorite DE in this class.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:57 pm Lukas Van Ness looks to be a bit of a destroyer
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... -nfl-draft

RichH55
Hall of Famer

That did not really inspire me on Vanness to be honest
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:38 pm
Grizzled wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:15 pm

He escaped, due to timing.

https://www.nfl.com/news/army-s-andre-c ... 20Congress.
After news broke earlier this month that service-academy athletes could be barred from deferring their post-graduation service, lawmakers heard public outcry on the matter and went to work to change the bill as it was still working its way through Congress. Consequently, new language in the omnibus spending package grandfathered in all athletes enrolled prior to June 1, 2021, to the prior eligibility rules, as detailed on the 1,875th page of the bill that spans more than 4,000 pages. (Going forward, athletes enrolled after that date must fulfill their two years' service immediately following graduation.) The revised bill passed through the Senate and House last week before landing on President Biden's desk for signing.

Now, all that stands between Carter and a shot at the NFL is a waiver being granted from the Department of Defense. Since 2019, that has been considered a mere formality for the handful of NFL prospects from the service academies.
Thanks. I looked at the issue but missed the part you brought to my attention.
wab
Mod

I like VanNess but he doen't strike me as particularly explosive or dynamic on the end. He's strong and has a motor that never quits, but it's not like he has a quick first step or has demonstrated that he has a library of pass rush moves.

I watch him and I see Taven Bryan (who I liked a LOT) or AJ Epenesa.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:29 pm I like VanNess but he doen't strike me as particularly explosive or dynamic on the end. He's strong and has a motor that never quits, but it's not like he has a quick first step or has demonstrated that he has a library of pass rush moves.

I dunno. He's hard to figure out.

He's strong enough to be worth a look at 5 tech for 3-4 teams. If Van Ness hits, he's Trey Hendrickson in a 4-3. If not, he's not big enough to slide inside; you might have another Jonathan Bullard.
KFFL refugee.

karhu
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:44 pm
wab wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:29 pm I like VanNess but he doen't strike me as particularly explosive or dynamic on the end. He's strong and has a motor that never quits, but it's not like he has a quick first step or has demonstrated that he has a library of pass rush moves.

I dunno. He's hard to figure out.

He's strong enough to be worth a look at 5 tech for 3-4 teams. If Van Ness hits, he's Trey Hendrickson in a 4-3. If not, he's not big enough to slide inside; you might have another Jonathan Bullard.
I hear you, but Bullard had one trick, as it turned out: he was great at timing the snap, and he made the most out of the leverage advantage that gave him. Van Ness isn't slow off the snap or anything, but he's seldom even the first guy on his line to fire out.

I see his ability to play off the bull rush and picture him with a swim move, which I don't believe I've ever seen him use. It's just possible that he counts on driving his guy back to the point where he doesn't need much of a move to disengage and make a play, and that I've been crediting him with change-of-direction skills that won't show up in the league. The combine should tell us what we need to know. It told us about Bullard, even though I for one didn't listen.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

wab
Mod

Morris is a big dude that looks more like a DT than a DE.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:31 am Morris is a big dude that looks more like a DT than a DE.
He does.
But I think I've seen more than 1 site insisting "don't be fooled by his size, he's not an interior candidate". (And I don't recall any claiming it was an option.)

cblaz11
MVP

Morris is a 3/4 DE….not sure he’s anything but that.

Let’s talk about Will McDonald….his ability to get to the QB is top notch. I think he goes much earlier then people are thinking.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:25 am Morris is a 3/4 DE….not sure he’s anything but that.

Let’s talk about Will McDonald….his ability to get to the QB is top notch. I think he goes much earlier then people are thinking.
Love it if we still had a 34. Don't like tiny DEs in a 43.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:20 am
cblaz11 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:25 am Morris is a 3/4 DE….not sure he’s anything but that.

Pretty much agree with this. He's a pure 3-4 edge rusher. McDonald looked great when rushing from a wide 9 spot in the Senior Bowl practices, but less so when a lineman could engage.

I think Will Anderson is right on the edge of being the same, but he's demonstrated physical strength to maybe get away with it in a 4-3.
KFFL refugee.

noblestofall
Rookie

We have to go with Will Anderson number one. I know a lot of analysts are starting to knock him but he is still the best. Daniel Kelly called him lazy but this guy who wrote this gets it.
https://www.draftdive.com/will-anderson ... ng-report/
RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:29 am
Moriarty wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:20 am

Pretty much agree with this. He's a pure 3-4 edge rusher. McDonald looked great when rushing from a wide 9 spot in the Senior Bowl practices, but less so when a lineman could engage.

I think Will Anderson is right on the edge of being the same, but he's demonstrated physical strength to maybe get away with it in a 4-3.

Yep and even saw him getting eaten up on a run by Musgrave - and that is Not the strength of Musgraves game
wab
Mod

If Anderson is more or less equal to Parsons...you take him in the top 4.
LacertineForest
MVP

wulfy
MVP

Highly intrigued by Iowa's Lukas Van Ness in a trade down to the 10 to 15 range. Lots of good edge rushers in the draft, why it's so critical to address 3T in Free Agency.
IE
Hall of Famer

Why didn't Van Ness start?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
karhu
Head Coach

IE wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:50 am Why didn't Van Ness start?
Seniority.