New Coaches Talk

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:45 pm The new Colts QB is supposed to be a QB whisperer. I'm thinking the pressure just ramped up fornthe Colts to move up.
Or it's finally Gardner Minshew's time to shine.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:03 pm
Grizzled wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:45 pm The new Colts QB is supposed to be a QB whisperer. I'm thinking the pressure just ramped up fornthe Colts to move up.
Or it's finally Gardner Minshew's time to shine.
Garopolo and Carr definitely on the move. Maybe Rodgers. I'm sure Minshew could be pried loose. But the Colts are probably tired of the aging veteran approach and want a complete reboot with a rookie QB. At least we hope so.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

I only mentioned Minshew because he was coached by the guy and is a free agent. But yes, I think they will draft a QB either at 1 or 4.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:39 pm I only mentioned Minshew because he was coached by the guy and is a free agent. But yes, I think they will draft a QB either at 1 or 4.
Irsay: "Alabama guy doesn't look bad". I want Irsay at a poker game, his tells would be hilarious.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:02 am
wab wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:39 pm I only mentioned Minshew because he was coached by the guy and is a free agent. But yes, I think they will draft a QB either at 1 or 4.
Irsay: "Alabama guy doesn't look bad". I want Irsay at a poker game, his tells would be hilarious.
Could be a bluff :-?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Eric Biennemy has been hired by the Commandos as their Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach. Biennemy was OC for the Super Bowl winning Chiefs and gets credit for designing second half plays which made former Eagles Defensive Coordinator Jonathon Gannon (new Cardinals Head Coach) look foolish with wide open wide receivers scoring touchdowns. Biennemy was also responsible for Jerrick McKinnon going down late in the game instead of scoring a TD to keep the clock going and help in setting up the game winning field goal. Biennemy, who has been overlooked for numerous Head Coaching jobs over the past few years, was the Chiefs OC but had been working on 1 year contracts for the past 5 years and no longer under contract to the Chiefs. Ron Rivera, Commandos Head Coach, will allow Biennemy full control of the team's offense, which he didn't have in KC. It just seems natural that Matt Nagy gets promoted to OC.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

You have to wonder if Bieniemy has been "overlooked for numerous Head Coaching jobs over the past few years" because of Nagy's run in Chicago. It might well have left teams wondering how much the Chief's OC has to do with their offensive success with Andy Reid and now Mahomes there. Having autonomy to run the offense in Washington will give Bieniemy a chance to really show what he can do. It's a good career move for him, getting out from under Reid's rather ample shadow.
dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:34 pm You have to wonder if Bieniemy has been "overlooked for numerous Head Coaching jobs over the past few years" because of Nagy's run in Chicago. It might well have left teams wondering how much the Chief's OC has to do with their offensive success with Andy Reid and now Mahomes there. Having autonomy to run the offense in Washington will give Bieniemy a chance to really show what he can do. It's a good career move for him, getting out from under Reid's rather ample shadow.
It’s a reasonable concern, Nagy or no Nagy. How do you really know about an offensive coach under Reid when we know Reid is the primary coach responsible for the offense. Leftwich was similarly exposed when Arians handed him the keys.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Reid calls most if not all of the plays in KC. Several years ago, Nagy was calling the plays when he was OC. During one playoff game in which the Chiefs produced absolutely no offense in the 1st half, Reid pulled those duties for the 2nd half. Thought I read last year that Biennemy interviewed pretty poorly for several Head Coaching jobs. With him taking the Commandos job and having full autonomy over the offense, he's going to want a decent QB, possibly stirring up the draft derby even more.
wab
Mod

IIRC, Bieniemy has some skeletons in the closet that teams have been leery of. That in addition to the KC play calling/coaching structure, has caused him to come up short in HC hiring cycles.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:59 am IIRC, Bieniemy has some skeletons in the closet that teams have been leery of. That in addition to the KC play calling/coaching structure, has caused him to come up short in HC hiring cycles.
This.

Some of it is speculation and conjecture, but there's plenty documented too.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Eagles promote QB coach Brian Johnson to offensive coordinator, hire Sean Desai as defensive coordinator

https://www.nfl.com/news/eagles-promoti ... oordinator
Sean Desai spent last season as a Seahawks assistant. Given the Eagles finished 3rd in yards, 2nd in yards per play and 8th in points allowed last season on their way to the Super Bowl that's quite a show of confidence in a guy with just one year's experience as a DC, especially when that year with the Bears they finished 22nd in points although they were much better yardage-wise (6th in total yards, 14th in yards per play).
wab
Mod

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:06 pm
Eagles promote QB coach Brian Johnson to offensive coordinator, hire Sean Desai as defensive coordinator

https://www.nfl.com/news/eagles-promoti ... oordinator
Sean Desai spent last season as a Seahawks assistant. Given the Eagles finished 3rd in yards, 2nd in yards per play and 8th in points allowed last season on their way to the Super Bowl that's quite a show of confidence in a guy with just one year's experience as a DC, especially when that year with the Bears they finished 22nd in points although they were much better yardage-wise (6th in total yards, 14th in yards per play).
It's a weird hire because Desai as only ever been a 3-4 guy and that is exactly the opposite of what has made the Eagles defense so successful.