A PFF Fancy Chart ..

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dave99
Assistant Coach

..that pretty much tells us what we already know
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The Lions stand out to me here as a team that has great potential to ascend because they have a better roster today than the others in that tier
xyt in the discord chats
dplank
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:14 pm The Lions stand out to me here as a team that has great potential to ascend because they have a better roster today than the others in that tier
Agree, and I'd add the Seahawks to that list as well.
IE
Hall of Famer

Wonder if draft capital is # of picks or value of picks
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Middleguard
MVP

I'd like to know how they equated draft picks to the $ of cap and restructuring.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

xyt in the discord chats
dave99
Assistant Coach

IE wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:24 pm Wonder if draft capital is # of picks or value of picks
The PFF draft value chart estimates the value of a draft pick by projecting the amount of PFF WAR (wins above replacement) a player drafted at that pick generates during his first four years — the length of the rookie contract —on average
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
dave99
Assistant Coach

Middleguard wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:29 pm I'd like to know how they equated draft picks to the $ of cap and restructuring.
Draft capital and effective cap space are normalized to a number between 0 and 1, while restructure potential is normalized to a scale between 0 and 0.5 to account for our earlier assumption that it’s valued at half as much as effective cap space. We can then add up the normalized numbers for each team and end up with a final ranking.
~Knute Rockne
IE
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:51 pm
IE wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:24 pm Wonder if draft capital is # of picks or value of picks
The PFF draft value chart estimates the value of a draft pick by projecting the amount of PFF WAR (wins above replacement) a player drafted at that pick generates during his first four years — the length of the rookie contract —on average
Thanks. So they dont' use the classic Dallas points chart but something similar in effect.

i wonder what the WAR figure is for that top 2nd rounder versus Claypool's individual WAR. I'm still a fan of that trade but do acknowledge they likely didn't think they'd be picking where they are at the time, and that *may* have factored into the decision (but also maybe not as the market is what it is).
IE
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:52 pm
Middleguard wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:29 pm I'd like to know how they equated draft picks to the $ of cap and restructuring.
Draft capital and effective cap space are normalized to a number between 0 and 1, while restructure potential is normalized to a scale between 0 and 0.5 to account for our earlier assumption that it’s valued at half as much as effective cap space. We can then add up the normalized numbers for each team and end up with a final ranking.
So they didn't make one a function of the other - they're just individual independent measures & then consolidated into a total score.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Obviously a lot of assumptions in there on how to scale. I get why, but these scale adjustments always feel a little arbitrary.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:14 pm The Lions stand out to me here as a team that has great potential to ascend because they have a better roster today than the others in that tier
Seahawks are also sitting decent if they can sign Geno to a contract.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:27 pm
The Seahawks are a team I don't know what they should do. They have a very solid roster I think both short and long term. Solid play from the QB spot and they will be in the hunt again next year. Did Geno finally "get it" or was it fluke.

Since I think they are built to win now and in the future if they get the QB spot right, if I was them, I'd make a run at Jimmy G or maybe Carr to help them win right now. But I'd tell them we have to address the spot down the road and we play on getting a QB early. The issue is getting one of those guys to agree to a contract that has an out after 3 years so that if the guy they draft is ready, they can part ways.
Middleguard
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:04 pm

Obviously a lot of assumptions in there on how to scale. I get why, but these scale adjustments always feel a little arbitrary.
I get it, Texans' draft portion of their bar is longest (157mm on my screen) because they have the most F-S pts. The Bears have a 157mm cap portion because they have the most cap. But it's silly to link the bars together that way.

The equal length ofTexans' draft and Bears' cap implies that a F-S pt is worth $10K and a mm on my screen is worth $630K.

The Bears' draft portion is 106mm, worth $66.7M or 6695 F-S pts, but the Bears actually have 7252 F-S pts. And the Texans have a 90mm cap portion, worth $56.7M, but they actually only have $34.3M. So not every team's cap dollar is worth the same and not every team's draft pts are worth the same.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Draft capital measurements seem to match this (which is value based) closely, if not exactly:

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/power_rankings
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:55 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:04 pm
I get it, Texans' draft portion of their bar is longest (157mm on my screen) because they have the most F-S pts. The Bears have a 157mm cap portion because they have the most cap. But it's silly to link the bars together that way.

The equal length ofTexans' draft and Bears' cap implies that a F-S pt is worth $10K and a mm on my screen is worth $630K.

The Bears' draft portion is 106mm, worth $66.7M or 6695 F-S pts, but the Bears actually have 7252 F-S pts. And the Texans have a 90mm cap portion, worth $56.7M, but they actually only have $34.3M. So not every team's cap dollar is worth the same and not every team's draft pts are worth the same.
This, but also that the restructure potential being weighted at 0.5

Why?

Because we don't like restructures!

But its a fundamental logic error anyways. I can have a cap number that is already reflective of restructure-like structuring which doesn't mean my responsible buying power, or whatever you want to call it is greater. But because I structured it that way a year ago its automatically "good space". But if I restructure now its "bad" space and weighted 0.5.

/rant over
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:37 pm
Grizzled wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:27 pm

The Seahawks are a team I don't know what they should do. They have a very solid roster I think both short and long term. Solid play from the QB spot and they will be in the hunt again next year. Did Geno finally "get it" or was it fluke.

Since I think they are built to win now and in the future if they get the QB spot right, if I was them, I'd make a run at Jimmy G or maybe Carr to help them win right now. But I'd tell them we have to address the spot down the road and we play on getting a QB early. The issue is getting one of those guys to agree to a contract that has an out after 3 years so that if the guy they draft is ready, they can part ways.
The last time the 'Hawks signed a high-priced (for the time) free agent QB, they drafted Wilson in the 3rd round and he won the job in training camp. Signing Geno or Jimmy G. (who'd be my choice if he comes in at the less than expected $35M for Geno and also plays the way Carroll likes) is no guarantee that guy wins the starting job.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:37 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:37 pm

The last time the 'Hawks signed a high-priced (for the time) free agent QB, they drafted Wilson in the 3rd round and he won the job in training camp. Signing Geno or Jimmy G. (who'd be my choice if he comes in at the less than expected $35M for Geno and also plays the way Carroll likes) is no guarantee that guy wins the starting job.
Boom. Great point. I guess when I said he would sit for a few years, that is what the team would like to see happen, but reality can set in and force them to change course.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:14 pm
Grizzled wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:37 pm

Boom. Great point. I guess when I said he would sit for a few years, that is what the team would like to see happen, but reality can set in and force them to change course.
No sacred cows on the Seahawks, they live competition at all positions.