Who Needs a QB?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Seahawks QB coach has taken the job of Offensive Coordinator with the Buccaneers. The Bucs can't really afford a big QB contract so Geno Smith joining him are remote. But it would open up the 'Hawks to look at a QB with their high draft pick.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

It's being reported that Daniel Jones, who just switched agents, is demanding $45 million per year from the Giants. The team did supposedly offer him a 5 year $190 million dollar extension. He did help the team make the playoffs but produced just 15 TDs. it's now thought that the Giants may explore one of the vet QBs who are available while still keeping negotiations open with Jones.
wab
Mod

Jones was a bust before Daboll. This is a case of not biting the hand that feeds you.
IE
Hall of Famer

I like Dimes. Personally I don't like bust as a term for a guy who is at least average. IMO Dimes is better than Eli.

I don't believe he's asking for $50MM that's horsehit.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

My spidey sense is telling me Seattle is going to go QB while they have a high pick, and even trade up a pick or two if they can - they won't again in the near future. That doesn't mean I think they don't want to re-sign Geno. I just think they want to extend him at a reasonable price, and are NOT going to pay him $30MM. I think they'll pay him Glennon money and extend him 3 years... AND draft a QB who they'll intend to replace him in '24 at some point with Geno backing him after that.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I can't wait for the day when a qb takes far less so the team can sign/retain more quality players.

I know it is never going to happen, but a guy can dream. :censor:

These QB salaries are making me kind of sick.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:41 am I can't wait for the day when a qb takes far less so the team can sign/retain more quality players.

I know it is never going to happen, but a guy can dream. :censor:

These QB salaries are making me kind of sick.

Yeah.
There's two issues, really.

The larger issue of a guy making half a billion over their career , doing a job which doesn't provide even a tiny fraction of that value to society. That's seriously messed up and wrong.
And the smaller issue of having 1 guy clearing 20% of your cap and it ruining your team for years if something goes wrong. That's not good for the game of football.

You can do something about the first, but I'll leave it be, since it drifts into The Forbidden Zone.
For the second, I think the only thing you can do is find a way to limit guarantees, so that teams can escape QB deals gone wrong. It's easier said than done to get the specifics right. Players do need to have some guarantee. Teams do need to suffer some for stupid moves - you encourage madness, if you remove consequence - but having a team crippled and unable to compete for ~3 years is pretty rough. And sometimes QB deals go wrong which weren't reckless, dumb, ill-considered, just bad luck. Those teams & fanbases don't deserve long-term dead in the water, either.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:40 am My spidey sense is telling me Seattle is going to go QB while they have a high pick, and even trade up a pick or two if they can - they won't again in the near future. That doesn't mean I think they don't want to re-sign Geno. I just think they want to extend him at a reasonable price, and are NOT going to pay him $30MM. I think they'll pay him Glennon money and extend him 3 years... AND draft a QB who they'll intend to replace him in '24 at some point with Geno backing him after that.
I could see them giving him a 3yr deal that they can get out of after year 2. Or one that has some incentives/clauses that protect the team in case he turns back into a pumpkin.

But he doesn't have that much milage on him, so it will be interesting. I do think they will take a QB in the first few rounds, but I don't know about top 5.

If Richardson slips to #20, I could see them scooping him up there.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Pete Carroll has surprised me. He said rhat the 'Hawks will be (hopefully) be drafting this high again for a long time and they have to consider at least looking at the top QBs. Only good for the Bears if another team enters the bidding.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

It's being widely reported that Derek Carr has reached agreement for a 4 year deal with the Saints.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:52 pm The total irony of this post is that it isn't the Chicago Bears! Man, that feels so good to say.
Me waking up from a coma and learning that the Chicago Bears have the first overall pick: "HELL YEAH WHO'S THE TOP RANKED QB IN THIS YEAR'S DRAFT?!?!"