Top 2023 OL Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wulfy
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:00 pm Slater and Joe Thomas both overcame Short Arm Syndrome, yes. They're exceptions to the rule, and I didn't make the rule, the NFL did. :D

Maybe Skoronski is too, I'm not prescient. Just saying the odds aren't in his favor to stick outside at T.
I'll wait until Combine measurements to get to worked up about this.
karhu
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:00 pm Slater and Joe Thomas both overcame Short Arm Syndrome, yes. They're exceptions to the rule, and I didn't make the rule, the NFL did. :D

Maybe Skoronski is too, I'm not prescient. Just saying the odds aren't in his favor to stick outside at T.
This got me to thinking about the relationship between arm length and wingspan. And basketball. Some players have big wingspans and average or even sub-average standing reaches, and each means something different for their games.

So I spot-checked the arm length/wingspan ratios of a few players. Laremy Tunsil is a good example, I think, of a guy who looks like he was built to play the position. His ratio is a shade above 2.42.

Rashawn Slater's is a little higher, at 2.428.

Cody Mauch's, for that matter, is right at 2.428, too.

Andre Dillard's, though, is less than 2.4, even though his arms are 33.5 inches long. The guy taken immediately after him in the first round, Tytus Howard, is right at 2.4. The only other first-round tackle that year has 32.5-inch arms. His ratio is 2.43, and he's Kaleb McGary.

The next year gave us a slew of first-round tackles, two of whom have panned out. Both Andrew Thomas and Tristan Wirfs have long arms and wingspan ratios below 2.4.

Might be nothing. But for what it's worth, those are the only guys I looked at (can't find Joe Thomas's wingspan anywhere), so it's an honest if tiny sample. If this means anything, it might suggest that a wider frame and broader shoulders can offset shorter arms.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
cblaz11
MVP

I like the idea of Mauch…but he’s not looking good at the Sr Bowl. I’d consider a 5th or later, no higher
wab
Mod

Lot of people saying Mauch looks good though...and has looked good at center too.
EricTighe
MVP

wab wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:50 am Lot of people saying Mauch looks good though...and has looked good at center too.
This is what I am hearing as well. Looks like the best Guard and second-best center there.

But with hippie hair and missing his front two teeth and beer belly, didn't quite hear anyone say he looked good (played great though). Did hear if you gave him some overalls and straw hat he could fit right in where most wouldn't. :-P
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Saw this, how much stouter would the Bears line be with these 2 guys along with signing a top free agent RT:

Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

I like Torrence a ton...I just think he goes in the bottom half of R1.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

It's vaguely possible he's on the board for a pick the Bears receive in trade (Colts 2.35 for example) and I love love Torrence. Here's a video of him hanging with Jalen Carter:

BUT worry he's not athletic enough to run around in space the way the Bears scheme would require. The combine will tell us a bit about that but it's a double-edged sword because a great combine performance would probably get him drafted by the Eagles or Saints at the end of the first.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

Torrence has only ever played RG. Not that a switch to LG would be monumental, but I wonder what drafting him would mean for Jenkins?

Still, I don't think the Bears have a shot at him unless they find themselves with a pick somewhere between 15-30. If he's even a fit.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:30 pm It's vaguely possible he's on the board for a pick the Bears receive in trade (Colts 2.35 for example) and I love love Torrence. Here's a video of him hanging with Jalen Carter:

BUT worry he's not athletic enough to run around in space the way the Bears scheme would require. The combine will tell us a bit about that but it's a double-edged sword because a great combine performance would probably get him drafted by the Eagles or Saints at the end of the first.
Yeah, I really don't see him as a scheme fit
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Good article on Skoronski in the Suntimes this a.m.:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... ong-tackle

Short armed but gave up few sacks in college. His grandfather was an offensive co-captain and LT for the Pack during their run to 5 championships in the '60s but I won't hold this against him. He'd be a quality pick at #8 or #9 at a position of need.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

Skoronski is a guard...maybe even a center in the NFL. He's a rich man's Cody Whitehair.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:50 am Lot of people saying Mauch looks good though...and has looked good at center too.
I thought he looked pretty good. His tape looks good.

He looks like he's going to be drafted by the Vikings. I'd actually bet money on it.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wulfy
MVP

wab wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:05 pm Skoronski is a guard...maybe even a center in the NFL. He's a rich man's Cody Whitehair.
Don’t draft Guards in the Top 10.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

figure out a way to get D. Wright
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:58 pm
wab wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:05 pm Skoronski is a guard...maybe even a center in the NFL. He's a rich man's Cody Whitehair.
Don’t draft Guards in the Top 10.
They grow on trees apparently
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

cblaz11
MVP

I think people are overlooking Paris Johnson as the drafts best LT prospect. After Will Anderson, if we stay in the top 10 he’s my guy. Best case, he’s a day 1 stud at LT….worst case, he’s a day 1 starter on the right side.
wulfy
MVP

I'm not sure Broderick Jones of Georgia isn't the best LT. There are some really good OTs this year.
wab
Mod

wulfy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:52 am I'm not sure Broderick Jones of Georgia isn't the best LT. There are some really good OTs this year.
I think he is.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Finally, the impenetrable wall of silence on Warren's injury comes down.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2023/03 ... t-pro-day/

Really doesn't sound like that big a deal at all.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Wanya Morris looks very much like a Ryan Poles offensive tackle. (So does Paris Johnson Jr, naturally.)

I suspect Braeden Daniels and Jon Gaines II are on the Bears' Day 3 list. Both are athletic, have good length, and can play multiple positions. Gaines has staring experience at both G and C, while Daniels has started everywhere on the line but C.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Give me the tOSU monster and somehow let him last to the 2nd
karhu
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:03 pm I suspect Braeden Daniels and Jon Gaines II are on the Bears' Day 3 list. Both are athletic, have good length, and can play multiple positions. Gaines has staring experience at both G and C, while Daniels has started everywhere on the line but C.
I'm starting to wonder if Gaines even makes it to our second-rounder. But yeah, he absolutely looks the part. Sidy Sow, too. But not to take Pig Simmons' place. That would be silly.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

cblaz11
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:54 pm Give me the tOSU monster and somehow let him last to the 2nd
Him or Wright from TN, whos higher on your board?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:26 am
thunderspirit wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:03 pm I suspect Braeden Daniels and Jon Gaines II are on the Bears' Day 3 list. Both are athletic, have good length, and can play multiple positions. Gaines has staring experience at both G and C, while Daniels has started everywhere on the line but C.
I'm starting to wonder if Gaines even makes it to our second-rounder. But yeah, he absolutely looks the part. Sidy Sow, too. But not to take Pig Simmons' place. That would be silly.
Heh.

Gaines has plenty of flaws, suggesting he's much more of a Day 3 project. His lower body is pretty strong but his upper body needs plenty of work (there's a reason he didn't bench). Usually Day 2 OL are guys you can plug in right away, or else developmental tackles. That's not Gaines, so I think he'll make it to Day 3. But probably early Day 3.

Daniels might be a late Day 2 guy due to his versatility, but his low weight is a concern; and he, too, lacks some strength. His game looks to me like he'll fit better inside than out, but other teams might view him as a tackle and draft him accordingly.
KFFL refugee.

karhu
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:16 am
karhu wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:26 am

Heh.

Gaines has plenty of flaws, suggesting he's much more of a Day 3 project. His lower body is pretty strong but his upper body needs plenty of work (there's a reason he didn't bench). Usually Day 2 OL are guys you can plug in right away, or else developmental tackles. That's not Gaines, so I think he'll make it to Day 3. But probably early Day 3.

Daniels might be a late Day 2 guy due to his versatility, but his low weight is a concern; and he, too, lacks some strength. His game looks to me like he'll fit better inside than out, but other teams might view him as a tackle and draft him accordingly.
Points all well taken on Gaines--we've all seen him get to the right place really impressively, then struggle to do everything he needs to once he's there. I just figure it only takes one team to fall for the most mobile guard in the draft. Someone might take Blake Freeland in the second round, too, though I'd hate for it to be the Bears.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:13 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:16 am

Heh.

Points all well taken on Gaines--we've all seen him get to the right place really impressively, then struggle to do everything he needs to once he's there. I just figure it only takes one team to fall for the most mobile guard in the draft. Someone might take Blake Freeland in the second round, too, though I'd hate for it to be the Bears.
Yeah, Freeland in the 2nd would definitely make me unhappy. As I've stated previously, I'm just not a fan — I'm not sure he can see the field while he works on his technical and strength issues. At least Gaines only has one of those.
KFFL refugee.

RichH55
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:22 am
RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:54 pm Give me the tOSU monster and somehow let him last to the 2nd
Him or Wright from TN, whos higher on your board?

The Ohio State kid by a long shot

Granted I need to actually go back and watch Tenn v. Alabama (supposed to be Wright's best game - and often against AndersON)

But at Senior Bowl week I was very surprised when they were saying nice things on him. Seemed a bit stiff, and the feet seemed borderline subpar - He was getting beat by average guys
wulfy
MVP

The kid from Syracuse is actually interesting with the late 2nd/early 3rd pick.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:40 pm The kid from Syracuse is actually interesting with the late 2nd/early 3rd pick.
Bergeron? Yup, he's pretty good.

I like both of the Oklahoma tackles too. Harrison has great fluidity in his movement, and Morris resembles Braxton Jones build-wise.
KFFL refugee.