Official: Bears trade 1st ovr pick to Panthers for WR DJ Moore & multiple future 1st rounders

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Cooler - Did they just move a bunch of the 2022 base forward when they did the extension for Moore?
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Ok maybe “hate” is too strong but people are disappointed that Poles spent essentially a 2025 first on him and that’s pretty silly. There’s no gtd money and no reason why poles can’t still draft or sign wtf he wants. Be glad! Do fantasy drafts! Fight about which OT or RB they should overpay next week!
xyt in the discord chats
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:45 pm What am I missing on this contract for Moore?
The way I u derstand it, the trade accelerates the remaining signing bonus to the panthers right we.

We get his base salary for the next 3 years. This years salary is completely guaranteed. 2024 has $1.1M guaranteed, so we pay him $1.1M and walk if somehow he isn’t worth his base salary 9dint see how that could happen but stranger things have). His 2025 has nothing guaranteed so we could cut him and owe nothing.

Hope that helps not sure what your issue was
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The awesome part about all of this is we already did the work. We as a fan base lived through the tank. And tbh it wasn’t too bad because there’s was a run where Justin was AWESOME and the team was fun. So now we’re good. The rebuild is firmly under way.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

They are gonna draft Robinson at 9 and people are gonna f r e a k.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:56 pm Not excited.
(And I was counseling modest expectations before this, too...)

I don't mind going down to 9 (or lower). But you gotta do better than that.
They only got ONE extra pick this year. And it's not even a high R2, it's a very late R2. The difference between, say, a 35 and 61 is HUGE.

R1 in 2024 is a nice piece, as Carolina may still suck then. But the R2 in 2025 is 2 years off.

DJ Moore's a nice receiver, but he isn't that valuable a pickup. I'm so sick of having this conversation over and over.
Trading for somebody under contract cheaply has value. Essentially, you're giving up draft capital in exchange for cap capital.
Trading for somebody under contract at market value isn't really helpful (unless they're the final piece of your championship push). You're giving up draft resource in order to pay the financial price that should be paid without any draft resource attached - ie, you're setting fire to your draft pick.
The contract savings on Moore isn't that much - and the Bears need draft capital far more than cap savings, anyway.
The Bills literally did this with Stefon Diggs (who aside from TDs had pretty similar stats to Moore) and it literally turned around Allen’s career.

A 2025 first round pick doesn’t do anything to help Fields.

Moore is an extremely valuable pickup because he will an essential piece in determining if Fields can be a winning Quarterback in the NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:16 pm They are gonna draft Robinson at 9 and people are gonna f r e a k.
I’d be ok with it, honestly.
thefish7
Journeyman

I think I'd be excited about Bijan at 9. That would be a team with ridiculous weapons all over. Still need DL and OL but tons of draft and cap capital.
LacertineForest
MVP

Walter Football loves the trade: https://walterfootball.com/nfltrades.php
I imagine this is the most the Bears could have gotten from any of the teams seeking to move up for one of the top quarterbacks in this class. This haul will give them a great foundation to build around Justin Fields.
A+ for the Bears
B+ for the Panthers
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I'm SLOWLY coming around on this trade. I figure it like this. The Bears just traded the #1 pick for a 1st round pick of unknown value, a 1st round WR who is now a proven commodity, a 2nd round pick, and most likely a top 15 1st round pick next year. All of that so that Carolina can move up and take a QB from a shaky class.

I'm thinking that Poles was not hearing what he wanted from Texas and Indianapolis. He was probably bent on getting a quality, proven player back in the trade, and Carolina was the only team offering up the talent of someone like Moore.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

thefish7 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:51 pm I think I'd be excited about Bijan at 9. That would be a team with ridiculous weapons all over. Still need DL and OL but tons of draft and cap capital.
I would be more despondent than the posters here lamenting the Bears got DJ Moore for Fields instead of another first rounder.

Picking a running back in the top 10 is a horrible mismanagement of draft capital. Especially, when you had the worst pass blocking line and worst pass rushing line in the entire NFL last. Not only that but one of the strengths of this draft class is the depth of the running back class.

Go after “blue” players in the trenches early and get another running back to add to the rotation later. You can’t fix both lines in free agency alone.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:37 pm Carolina only got "fleeced" (if indeed you think they did) if the QB they pick Trubiskys. If their guy hits, you make that trade every time and don't look back.
Yea basically every QB Trade up ends up a fleece or steal. Rarely a middle ground.

Joe Flacco was prob the only relatively fair one, but that was mid 1st round.
wab
Mod

According to twitter, Paris Johnson is the odds on favorite at 9.
thefish7
Journeyman

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:20 pm
thefish7 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:51 pm I think I'd be excited about Bijan at 9. That would be a team with ridiculous weapons all over. Still need DL and OL but tons of draft and cap capital.
I would be more despondent than the posters here lamenting the Bears got DJ Moore for Fields instead of another first rounder.

Picking a running back in the top 10 is a horrible mismanagement of draft capital. Especially, when you had the worst pass blocking line and worst pass rushing line in the entire NFL last. Not only that but one of the strengths of this draft class is the depth of the running back class.

Go after “blue” players in the trenches early and get another running back to add to the rotation later. You can’t fix both lines in free agency alone.
Yeah, what you're saying make sense. For me it depends on what DL talent is there at 9. I don't like the top OL guys. So if you can't get a DL guy you like, you can take Bijan (deep class maybe, but I think he's something special). Then you can use your ample capital to get back into the top of the 2nd to draft Schmitz at C. Good guard prospects in 2-mid rounds are plentiful. You draft a starting OG and C. Probably have to use FA for RT, but I think that won't be too expensive and you now have sorted the offensive side. You will have to spend on a DT and a DE.

I also think (and am probably just too excited to have Moore on the roster) that with Bijan, those WRs, Kmet, an improved line and Fields .. well your offense is going to be something. Fix DL in year 2 via draft.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:24 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:37 pm I don’t know, I’m a little underwhelmed
What?
It’s an early and big trade down so I thought we’d get more return.

Don’t get me wrong I love DJ Moore as a player and wanted him when the Panthers blew up last season. He’s a rapid catching machine. Great WR.

But only 1 extra pick this year and I simply won’t accept another year where we don’t
1) Fix the O line
2) massively upgrade the D line.

So it makes me excited/nervous for FA now. We have got to get 3 maybe 4 linemen in FA and I’m not sure the options are there.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Shadow
Assistant Coach

With Moore included this is a good deal. Could he have gotten more on Draft day? Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda...It was a gamble to wait. A bird in the hand kind of thing. The haul of picks is bent toward the future. This gives me the idea Poles is not and never was looking at this as a one year (two actually) re-building process. He said in his interveiw with Adam Hoge, Build through the draft and set up the future for position and flexibility.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:43 pm
wab wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:16 pm They are gonna draft Robinson at 9 and people are gonna f r e a k.
I’d be ok with it, honestly.
As would I.

I'm assuming (yes I know what that does) that OL and DL are now going to be significantly addressed in FA.

Given that, imagine an offense with JF1, Robinson, Moore, Mooney, Claypool and Kmet.

That could be something special.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:49 am
RichH55 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:24 pm

What?
It’s an early and big trade down so I thought we’d get more return.

Don’t get me wrong I love DJ Moore as a player and wanted him when the Panthers blew up last season. He’s a rapid catching machine. Great WR.

But only 1 extra pick this year and I simply won’t accept another year where we don’t
1) Fix the O line
2) massively upgrade the D line.

So it makes me excited/nervous for FA now. We have got to get 3 maybe 4 linemen in FA and I’m not sure the options are there.
DJ Moore is not a guy I really was hoping for.

Don't get me wrong the guy is legit.

I just would've preferred a dominant DL instead.

Now there's an urgency about FA and if Poles swings and misses the defense is going to suck again.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

At 25, DJ Moore would already be the Bears' #3 player in receptions (after Sweetness and Forte, not even a WR) and #1 in yards. He's missed 2 games in a 5 year career. Moore is especially proficient in the 10-19 yard range; Fields led rhe NFL is passing at that mid-range. He is a true X. Poles said that obtaining Moore was paramount to the deal, to get Fields the weapon he needs in '23 rather then getting a 2025 1st rounder. I'm assuming he felt getting Moore was more important than asking for Burns, which kind of points out where the Bears interests will be in free agency and the draft. Yes, I would have liked the #39 instead of #61 but I'm also assuming the Panthers resisted coughing up that pick, wanting to retain it for rebuilding purposes. The 2024 1st and 2025 2nd could become quite high picks as the Panthers rebuild the next few years.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Was happy but slightly underwhelmed at first. I wanted a high second this year, and a first in 25. I'll be honest, I don't watch the Panthers so other than knowing people talk about him as a number one I have no idea how DJ Moore is. So I was a little underwhelmed, but!

I am much happier we traded for receiver then a DE like some wanted. The more some of you talk about DJ Moore Ithe more excited I get. And I would rather have a #1 WR than a 25 first. I hope this means Poles agrees the Bears need offense offense offense! 9 is a perfect spot to pick one of the offensive tackles - I prefer Broderick Jones or Paris Johnson.

I still would have liked a higher second this year, but pretty damn happy with this trade this morning.
grendel2000
Journeyman

I think it's important to remember that it's unrealistic to think that Poles can fix EVERYTHING in just one year, as much as we'd all like it to be so. With that in mind I'm extremely happy with the Moore pickup and I'd also be just fine drafting Robinson at 9 (so long as the OL is addressed via either FA or draft THIS YEAR) for one simple reason: it takes more time for an offense to gel than a defensive line does.

Get the pieces for the offense together NOW so they have this year to build familiarity and chemistry. An offense of Fields, Robinson, Moore, Mooney, Claypool and Kmet with a SOLID OL would be absolutely formidable. Even with a crappy defense it would be possible to win games in shootouts once the O is firing on all cylinders.

Defense could be addressed mostly next year. The #1 pick we got from Carolina in the trade can be used to snag a top DT or EDGE. Anyone know what the DT / EDGE FA class looks like next year?
IotaNet
MVP

RustinFields wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:47 pm It's really pretty funny that pretty much everyone is praising this... except bears fans.
Ryan Poles is trending on Twitter this morning and the universal take is that this is an outstanding move for the Bears.

Take that for what it’s worth.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:07 am
RustinFields wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:47 pm It's really pretty funny that pretty much everyone is praising this... except bears fans.
Ryan Poles is trending on Twitter this morning and the universal take is that this is an outstanding move for the Bears.
Every Bear fan I have talked to likes this trade. They see moore as a 1st rd pick.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I give this trade an A. Well done Poles!

Dropping to 9 but adding several premium picks and Moore is well worth it. This pick most likely is OL or DL, you have to think Anderson and Tyree Wilson are gone, most likely Jalen Carter but it’s possible he could fall. 4 QBs go + 4 other players before we pick. If Carter falls - what a gift.

The key to this deal is Moore. Love having a Terp! But Moore is ours for 3 years, he’s guaranteed good player who is a true #1 which is what we needed. I very much prefer what Poles did here to my idea of trading a 2nd for Hopkins. Moore is really young considering how much NFL experience he has. Moore, Claypool, Mooney in the slot allows each player to play their best positions. Add in Kmet and Fields has all the weapons he needs to succeed IMO.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:16 am
IotaNet wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:07 am Ryan Poles is trending on Twitter this morning and the universal take is that this is an outstanding move for the Bears.
Every Bear fan I have talked to likes this trade. They see moore as a 1st rd pick.
That's how I see it too.

What would a legit #1 WR cost in a trade? A first or a high second.
WP.1
Player of the Month

pick No. 9
pick No. 61
a first-round pick in 2024
a second-round pick in 2025
WR DJ Moore

2016 Draft
Eagles trade up to Browns No. 2. overall pick.

Browns get the No. 8 pick in 2016, the No. 77 pick (third round) in 2016, the No. 100 pick (fourth round) in 2016, a 2017 first-rounder and a 2018 second-rounder.
wulfy
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:34 am
Otis Day wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:16 am

That's how I see it too.

What would a legit #1 WR cost in a trade? A first or a high second.
Especially a 25 year old #1 WR.

Another thing to consider is w/o Moore and with a rookie QB … very good chance next year’s Panthers pick will be Top 10. We’ve seen a similar movie of young QB without weapons.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:26 pm Cooler - Did they just move a bunch of the 2022 base forward when they did the extension for Moore?
Basically. Which is very common in these year-early extensions. They were obviously making room for the QB moves they had made, so I'm sure that was a big part of it.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Moore is definitely young enough that come 2025 you could defintiely look into like 3 year extension as well (depending on what rest of roster looks like) or hell hit FA in 2026 probably still a premier FA, netting you a possible comp pick.

It's kind of why I'm not totally discounting a 1st round WR.

Let Mooney/Claypool compete for one extension from 24-26. Moore 23-25. Rookie 23-26+ext.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:08 am Moore is definitely young enough that come 2025 you could defintiely look into like 3 year extension as well (depending on what rest of roster looks like) or hell hit FA in 2026 probably still a premier FA, netting you a possible comp pick.

It's kind of why I'm not totally discounting a 1st round WR.

Let Mooney/Claypool compete for one extension from 24-26. Moore 23-25. Rookie 23-26+ext.
I think one big reason Carolina won the pick contest was Poles viewed a trade that included a true stud WR as being a priority - because of what he thinks about this draft and FA class. The Claypool trade was a hedge against failing to get a WR this offseason, and he's now mitigated that completely. Now like you said he's able to let Claypool and Mooney compete to see who the Bears are going to pay (no way both). And then he has a shot at Harrison Jr. next year with that Carolina first rounder. I can't envision them mucking up the Clay/Moon competition or completely disregard Velus by adding yet another WR to the mix.

So Poles is probably in "mission accomplished" mode at WR right now after making it far easier on them in this trade to focus on DL and OL. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they picked Bijan if they think he's a real Marshall Faulk type blue chip load back. Probably not but maybe. But other than that I think it's all about the lines. Paris Johnson? Maybe - would make sense to make the OSU reconnection for JF1. But I doubt they'd be able to pass up Carter at 9 to give Flus the 3T he so desperately needs.

IF those guys are gone that could mean a QB is slipping like we saw with JF1 and enable another trade-down. But if Carter is there I think he's the pick. Getting a guy who many consider the highest value pick in the draft at 9, and extra 2nd (to grab Schmitz?) PLUS DJ along with the future picks is... sort of a dream haul.

That #1 pick could turn into Carter, Schmitz, DJ Moore, Harrison Jr plus who knows in the 2nd round in '25. Crazy good. That's Hershel Walker Trade-class haul and the kind of thing that sets up dynasties.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!