Who are your Top 6 non QB's in this draft. If your thinking like Poles?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

EricTighe
MVP

Since we traded down to number 9. I think it is fair to assume that Poles and Company have 5 non-QBs rated with TRUE first-round grades.

I say True ever since I heard Sean Payton make a comment about how every draft only has 10 to 15 guys, max, that are true first-round guys. The next 50 players are all considered about the same with second-round grades. He learned this from Parcells. 10 to 15 guys are considered a good draft.

Poles and COmpany love long athletic, smart and vicious players.

My top 6 that I believe fit there idea.

1. DE TYREE WILSON, TEXAS TECH- I said it before and I will say it again. This fits the type of player the Bears are looking for to a T. Long, athletic and plays violently.Part of me thinks this has been there number one guy all along.

2. CB CHRISTIAN GONZALEZ, OREGON- Plays like a CB and hits like a safety. Smart, athletic, and long. Fits like a glove.

3. OLB NOLAN SMITH, GEORGIA- Listed at OLB since I believe he is little to small to play DE. For an OLB he is long, athletic, smart and is known to run through blockers not around them making him very violent. Depending on Free Agency not sure this is the direction we will look. But this kid is a Football player.

4. RB BIJAN ROBINSON, TEXAS- Find something he can't do? Freak at the position who showed the ability to know how to run with the rock in his hands. Devaluing RB's is the in thing. But damn we run a lot and this makes to much sense.

5. WR QUENTIN JOHNSTON, TCU- Long, athletic and like to block. WIth Moore now on board not sure if we go this route. But he is a Poles type of player.

6. CB JOEY PORTER JR., PENN STATE- he isn't as fast as the other CB's in this class but fits everything else. He is long, athletic (not elite speed though) and tough as nails. Fits the profile. Has a hell of a pedigree that goes with as well.

That's my list. There is no number 6.

Guys who missed the cut.

DI JALEN CARTER, GEORGIA- Legal issues are a concern. According to the radio he didn't do well in interviews about the crash. (Or is that a smoke screen,) No doubt the McCaskeys would need to sign off on this one.

ED WILL ANDERSON, ALABAMA- I love the kid. But he doesn't fit our profile. Plus he won't make it to 9.
CB DEVON WITHERSPOON, ILLINOIS- Not long or big enough. Doesn't fit the profile.
WR JAXON SMITH-NJIGBA, OHIO STATE- Injury concerns and doesn't fit the profile.
DT CALIJAH KANCEY, PITTSBURGH- Defiantly doesn't meet the Long profile. Think he will be a good player but not what Poles is looking for according to him.
CB KELEE RINGO, GEORGIA- Love this kid and think he is a first-rounder and fits what Poles love except there are character issues with him. But to be honest most great CB's talk a lot of crap and aren't the easiest to get along with.
DI BRYAN BRESEE, CLEMSON- Exactly what Poles looks for. Injury concerns drop him from my top 6 list. Still believe if this kid stays healthy he could be a steal.

All offensive lineman.
They are not mentioned in my top 6 because I don't believe there any that warrant a top 10 pick. Not that they won't end up good but I just don't think any are comparable to like a Penie Sewel. Who deserved to go in the top 5.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

1) DE Will Anderson - I have a lot of misgivings about him in a 43. But if he somehow got to 9 without any Jalen-like incidents, I guess I'd swallow hard and hope. But he obviously won't.
2) DE Tyree Wilson - A great fit. Probably doesn't last, but there's a small chance.
***** Trade down, trade down, trade down
We just went WR and I'm expecting starter CB and RT in free agency, which comes first. So that wipes a lot of options off the board. If not, Paris and Gonzalez would be at 3,4
5) DE Myles Murphy
6) DT Jalen Carter - I'd struggle to root for him and maybe trade him before he screws up again. But I guess I would, mostly due to lack of alternatives.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
EricTighe
MVP

If we trade down again. Which I believe we will do if Wilson is gone then I am all in on Paris Johnson. Just not at 9. Really don't see much of a difference from the number 1 OT to the number 10 guy if Freeland is considered number 10 like a lot believe.

Now next year the lid will be blown off the OT's in the draft.
Fashanu, Alt and Kingsley (UCLA). Now we are talking. All 3 of these guys would go before anyone in this draft. IMO
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I can get to 4 myself, but no more than that.

1) Will Anderson
2) Jalen Carter
3) Tyree Wilson
4) Christian Gonzalez

Nearly everyone else I have tops out at a mid-1st grade, so assuming everyone on this list is gone, I'm all for another trade back, even a small one.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

In my mind, the guy we draft will be Kancey. He falls outside my top 10, but I see him as a great 3 tech and there's enough edge guys I like in the 2nd round to go that route.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

If the Bears take Kancey at 9, I will be upset.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'm adjusting this for guys who I think could be there at 9 if I'm thinking like Poles. Not necessarily who I want. I want either Myles Murphy or Bijan Robinson at 9.

1) Skoronski. This just screams that we pick him.
2) Tyree Wilson
3) Van Ness
4) Paris Johnson. I think the pick at 9 is either him or Skoronski.
5) Foskey from Notre Dame
6) Another trade down

Jalen Carter doesn't make it to 9 and I'm half and half as to whether or not Poles drafts him anyway.
wab
Mod

Just looking at the traits they seem to covet

1- Wilson, but I don’t think he will be there at 9
2- Van Ness
3- Paris Johnson
4- Nolan Smith
5- Murphy
6- Carter, but I don’t think he’ll be there either
karhu
Head Coach

1. Carter
2. Van Ness
3. Anderson
4. Trade down
5. Wilson
6. Johnson
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Peter Skoronski - seems like many think he'd be better at RT
Tyree Wilson
Lukas Van Ness
Will Anderson
Witherspoon from Illinois
Carter - amending this after all the crap with him. So much will depend on the interview at Halas Hall
Last edited by Grizzled on Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

1- Carter (Still doubtful he falls to #9)
2- JSN
3- Myles Murphy
4- Nolan Smith
5- Van Ness
6- Skoronski

I think JSN, Smith, Van Ness and Skoronski at #9 are all a bit too early and would rather get them 5- 7 picks later.

Maybe trade #9 to Washington for #16 and their #47 so they could sneak inside the top 10 and draft Anthony Richardson??

Then we would have #16, #47, #53, #61, #64, inside the top 100 plus #103, #133, #136 and #148 in the Top 150.
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
wab
Mod

I don’t understand the Skoronski love. Shortest arms of any OT at the combine, and not particularly impressive measurables.

He’s a rich man’s Cody Whitehair. I don’t think that’s the 9th pick in the draft TBH.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

wab wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:12 pm I don’t think that’s the 9th pick in the draft TBH.
I dont think he is either but Bears seem to like him unless it is just all local Northwestern hype and probably is.
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

wab wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:12 pm I don’t understand the Skoronski love. Shortest arms of any OT at the combine, and not particularly impressive measurables.

He’s a rich man’s Cody Whitehair. I don’t think that’s the 9th pick in the draft TBH.
He also had the best tape of any OT and started as a true freshman in the Big 10 and has phenomenal technique. His hand placement is excellent and he gets to the next level lighting quick which would make him a great fit in this scheme.

He’s a high floor, high ceiling guy. Even if he has to play guard he has all pro potential. Probably the safest pick in the draft.

My expectations of who the blue players are:

1. Will Anderson
2. Jalen Carter -The reports of the Bears calling all of the Georgia coaches about him is a tell they graded him as a a blue player
3. Peter Skoronski - Safest pick in the draft, imo
4. Christian Gonzales
5. Devon Witherspoon
6. Lukas Van Ness

Everyone says Tyree Wilson and his measurables and athleticism are impressive but when you watch his tape there are several instances when he’s the last defensive lineman off the ball after the snap. He still made plays, so maybe there’s some quirkiness to the Texas Tech defensive scheme I’m not aware of or something but it was weird and I couldn’t help but think that wouldn’t work in the NFL.
IE
Hall of Famer

1. Carter - Getting the top player in the draft in the opinion of many ... at 9... would be impossible to pass up. Would just love to have a stud at 3T even though the risk. I could see him maybe not interviewing well if he just didn't have any excuses and needs to grow up. Is he a fit for HITS? I think you have to take that chance that he may not be. I don't think you phone it in, playing for Georgia.

2. Johnson - To me this is the best fit. He's a monster, a plug-in RT, insurance against Brax having setbacks, and is partially an investment in JF1. He seems like a really solid citizen to boot.

3. Skoronski - Start him at RT and evaluate between he and Jenk who is on the outside. Even if he ends up at G eventually and stars there. The only way a first rounder is wasted on an OL is if they bust (and they do). Skoronski will not bust, and will be considered a blue chipper regardless of where he plays. One of the best OG's in the league? That's a blue chipper, and that looks like his floor to me. A sure thing is important at this level. Bear Oline is probably the most important thing, even with the DL having uncertainty.

4. Witherspoon - If the above 3 are gone I like this best. I think he's the Sauce of '23. He's got decent size at 6'0" and 180 - and he's just simply a shut-down corner who makes plays. Nobody is really talking about it much, because I think we sort of all assume that the Bear DBs weren't very good because there was no DL pressure. That's been my thinking as well, for the most part. But I do sort of question JJ's playmaking and I consider Vildor more of a "good backup". I think the Bears really need a stud CB if they're going to ascend - and Spoon is the man. Illinois DBs are elite. Witherspoon is peak Revis or Ramsey.

5. Gonzalez - Better measurables than Spoon but I don't think brings *quite* as much in terms of being a pure football player.

The more I've been thinking about this, the more I like the CBs here over EDGE or DT outside of Carter because IMO elite CBs come off the board first for very good reasons. And with the EDGE and DL depth in this draft, Poles will get guys he likes - maybe finding this year's Brax Jones but on the DL. If the star 3T of the future just doesn't happen this year, I'll be fine with the upgrades of an absolute stud CB, two stud LBs, Walker and a rookie or two to compete with Gip and DomRob, and another draft pick or two to fill out an interior Dline of Jones, Watts, Pennell, and whatever. The D will be much better.

6. Trade down and grab Breese or best EDGE in the mid-teens.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:36 pm I can get to 4 myself, but no more than that.

1) Will Anderson
2) Jalen Carter
3) Tyree Wilson
4) Christian Gonzalez

Nearly everyone else I have tops out at a mid-1st grade, so assuming everyone on this list is gone, I'm all for another trade back, even a small one.
Coming back to this: I've come around on Paris Johnson Jr being worth a top 10 pick. I might even be okay with Broderick Jones as one, though he needs more consistency than PJJ.

Also adding Myles Murphy — I took time to come around, in no small part because I was likely guilty of scouting the Clemson helmet, but damned if he's not basically Marcus Davenport with a motor — and freak of nature Joey Porter Jr.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: