Bears to sign LB Tremaine Edmunds to 4yr, $72m deal

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

IotaNet wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:12 pm
G08 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:07 pm

Shade under 6'5", 253 lbs, runs a 4.54 40 yard dash and has 34.5" arms.

You want to talk about shutting down any open zones in the middle of the field, THIS is your guy.
it’s easy to forget that Edmunds was in the same draft as Roquan. He was highly touted but the concern was that he was so young that he wasn’t even fully developed body wise. We are catching him at the exact right time. Dude is going to be a stud for us.
G08 and I did not forget
G08
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:12 pm
G08 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:07 pm

Shade under 6'5", 253 lbs, runs a 4.54 40 yard dash and has 34.5" arms.

You want to talk about shutting down any open zones in the middle of the field, THIS is your guy.
it’s easy to forget that Edmunds was in the same draft as Roquan. He was highly touted but the concern was that he was so young that he wasn’t even fully developed body wise. We are catching him at the exact right time. Dude is going to be a stud for us.
I wanted him over Roquan in that draft.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

IIRC y'all thought he was going to be an EDGE
xyt in the discord chats
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

bearsoldier wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:11 pm "As indicated by Schefter, this deal is the largest four-year deal for an inside linebacker in the NFL. In addition, the deal is reported to be heavily frontloaded, indicating the Bears are protecting themselves in the later part of the contract."
Hmm, I wonder...
“With this situation, we showed respect from a very early timeframe and with that said, there’s record-setting pieces of this contract that I thought was going to show [Roquan] the respect that he deserves. Obviously, that hasn’t been the case."
Could the contract Poles has given to Edmunds basically be the same one with "record-setting pieces" that he offered to Roquan?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

bearsoldier wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:11 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:28 pm That contract structure gives me some pause. Doesn't seem cash frontloaded or cap backloaded enough give the cash and cap minimum /constraints.

At the end of the day, it's the entire picture that matters on a cap basis, not one contract. So I'll wait for final judgment.

But I worry that Poles/Stein might be placing too much emphasis on dead cap avoidance and that is

1) ultimately a limiting way to build a high end team
2) deeply flawed logically in most cases.
[media]https://ontapsportsnet.com/bears/chicag ... ree-agency[/media]
"As indicated by Schefter, this deal is the largest four-year deal for an inside linebacker in the NFL. In addition, the deal is reported to be heavily frontloaded, indicating the Bears are protecting themselves in the later part of the contract. "

Does Schefter make a good point on Poles here or is the contract possibly front loaded because Edmunds camp wanted the money up front and asked for $50M now rather than later.
It ended up being pretty moderately front loaded.

To the extent its a necessary negotiation tool. Okay. Gotta pay to win negotiations.

I'm more a bit miffed at the day 5 roster bonus usage. The reason to use a year 1 roster bonus over signing bonus is:

+trying to make it a contingent bonus for something - which I'd ask what for
+or you're trying to avoid dead caps - which there's no real reason to do.

But a signing bonus, assuming equal cash flows, gives a team more flexibility overall. So it's really the roster bonuses I don't get.
G08
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:28 pm
bearsoldier wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:11 pm "As indicated by Schefter, this deal is the largest four-year deal for an inside linebacker in the NFL. In addition, the deal is reported to be heavily frontloaded, indicating the Bears are protecting themselves in the later part of the contract."
Hmm, I wonder...
“With this situation, we showed respect from a very early timeframe and with that said, there’s record-setting pieces of this contract that I thought was going to show [Roquan] the respect that he deserves. Obviously, that hasn’t been the case."
Could the contract Poles has given to Edmunds basically be the same one with "record-setting pieces" that he offered to Roquan?
Wow great catch! Very well could be!!

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:03 pm
It makes a ton of sense to me... Edmunds SHUT DOWN the MOF for Buffalo, when he was out their defense suffered.

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

I was hoping for Edmunds and/or Jack Campbell in the draft... It is really great that Poles got it done right off the bat.

It was nice to have Roquan for a few years but gaining Edmunds totally makes sense for the defensive scheme.

Day 1 of "unofficial" FA and Poles immediately works to rebuild the huge holes in our LB corps from last year.

We still need some LB depth as Sanborn is the only keeper from last year, but it is set up well to start.

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:57 pm
UOK wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:53 pm

Free Agency's been semi-open for 5 hours or something. The Bears are going to sign linemen on both sides of the ball, but they likely aren't going to be huge sexy names.
That's kinda the point though isn't it? Where you choose to spend big matters. We chose WLB and G over 3T and RT. Seems very questionable. I'd rather have spend big on 3T and RT, then spent on the less sexy names at WLB and G.
I agree with you in principle but I would have paid what Denver did for the "sexy RT," would you? Still have to be smart with the money. I also have faith in Poles and Cunningham to evaluate OL talent. Perhaps they see a guy further down the list that will contribute about the same and cost significantly less.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

bearsoldier wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:53 am I was hoping for Edmunds and/or Jack Campbell in the draft... It is really great that Poles got it done right off the bat.

It was nice to have Roquan for a few years but gaining Edmunds totally makes sense for the defensive scheme.

Day 1 of "unofficial" FA and Poles immediately works to rebuild the huge holes in our LB corps from last year.

We still need some LB depth as Sanborn is the only keeper from last year, but it is set up well to start.

Based on that Twitter clip Edmunds just needs to learn not to celebrate while the play is still live! Instill that mentality that Lovie's D always had - when you get a takeaway then look to take it to the house.

As for LB depth, that starting lineup sure looks strong with Edmunds, Edwards and Sanborn and the latter can cover the Mike too. The depth can just be filled out with vet minimum guys and rookies.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Sean McDermott at the NFL Scouting Combine talking about Edmunds:
“Tremaine, it’s been fun to watch him grow. He’s such a young player. He was such a young player when we first got him out of the draft. And he’s still a young player with his age. But to watch him mature and grow on the field, off the field has been a true joy as a coach."

“You never replace a person or a player like a Tremaine Edmunds.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... linebacker
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

I can't believe that Poles signed Edmonds and paid all that money for him to play MIKE on a defense which puts all the value in the WILL position. I really think the plan is for Edmunds to take the Darrius Leonard role in Flus's defense. Do you guys see it differently?
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I will be much happier if they put Edmunds and that contract at MLB and try to fill the Urlacher role and let Edwards be the WILL. But I also am of the opinion that the WILL is not as important as people make it out to be. IMO Urlacher was always far more the reason for the Lovie cover 2's dominance than Briggs. I'd put the Dline and safety higher than Briggs in that D also if i'm being honest.

I also think its much easier to find a Briggs vs an Urlacher. We saw that team fall apart without Urlacher. Without Briggs they werent as good but whoever plugged in next to Lach succeeded. I don't know if Edmunds can be Urlacher but his athletic profile is similar. If he could approach that level, that would change this D completely and be worth the money imo.

I guess it also depends on exactly what Flus is trying to run. I swear I remember him saying nickle was the most important position on this D last year and I never remember that being a thing in Lovie's cover 2. I also don't believe it, but I swear that I heard that. But my memory isn't the best.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:12 am I will be much happier if they put Edmunds and that contract at MLB and try to fill the Urlacher role and let Edwards be the WILL. But I also am of the opinion that the WILL is not as important as people make it out to be. IMO Urlacher was always far more the reason for the Lovie cover 2's dominance than Briggs. I'd put the Dline and safety higher than Briggs in that D also if i'm being honest.

I also think its much easier to find a Briggs vs an Urlacher. We saw that team fall apart without Urlacher. Without Briggs they werent as good but whoever plugged in next to Lach succeeded. I don't know if Edmunds can be Urlacher but his athletic profile is similar. If he could approach that level, that would change this D completely and be worth the money imo.

I guess it also depends on exactly what Flus is trying to run. I swear I remember him saying nickle was the most important position on this D last year and I never remember that being a thing in Lovie's cover 2. I also don't believe it, but I swear that I heard that. But my memory isn't the best.
I think it's extremely unlikely that the top FA signing by this team will be playing a position that Eberflus sees as less important than the one he has gone on record to discuss.

The Will LB needs to be extremely athletic, able to cover ground and operate in space and cover pass catchers in the flat. No way can Sanborn or Edwards with their slow speeds do that effectively. They're good tacklers and run suffers and tone setters but they are not the keys to this defense.

Flus doesn't copy Lovie's defense either and ask the Mike to drop back deep to Cover the middle zone the way Urlacher did.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced the plan is to put Edmunds at WILL.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

I dunno. I recall distinctly Edmunds’ comp being Urlacher when he came out. I’d think he’d live in the deep middle.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:25 am
dplank wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:57 pm

That's kinda the point though isn't it? Where you choose to spend big matters. We chose WLB and G over 3T and RT. Seems very questionable. I'd rather have spend big on 3T and RT, then spent on the less sexy names at WLB and G.
I agree with you in principle but I would have paid what Denver did for the "sexy RT," would you? Still have to be smart with the money. I also have faith in Poles and Cunningham to evaluate OL talent. Perhaps they see a guy further down the list that will contribute about the same and cost significantly less.
While I get your point, the problem with the logic here is that he just spend 18M on a LB. So is that being smart with the money? The same logic you just laid out applies to the Edmunds signing. And I'd argue that finding a ILB further down the list is much easier than finding an OT or 3T further down the list. So it just seems off to me.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

"Experts'" grades on the Tremaine Edmunds signing:
  • ESPN: C
  • Pro Football Focus: B
  • The Athletic: A
  • Sporting News: A
  • Sports Illustrated: C+
  • Touchdown Wire: B-
  • Bleacher Report: C-
  • Walter Football: B-
  • Bears Wire: B+
Further details: https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/be ... ert-picks/
IE
Hall of Famer

Highlights, in case folks haven't seen.

Bears got the next Urlacher right here. Just getting into his prime. This deserves more talk than Orlando Bloom Jones, IMO.

2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:35 pm "Experts'" grades on the Tremaine Edmunds signing:
  • ESPN: C
  • Pro Football Focus: B
  • The Athletic: A
  • Sporting News: A
  • Sports Illustrated: C+
  • Touchdown Wire: B-
  • Bleacher Report: C-
  • Walter Football: B-
  • Bears Wire: B+
Further details: https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/be ... ert-picks/
So the range is A (Outstanding) to C- (below average).

Bizarre
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

malk
Head Coach

I'm gonna forget about the contract and just focus on imagining him kicking off from last year and becoming a really exciting player.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

BigDaddy
Practice Squad

Not sure I understand Poles logic with this signing given the needs at 3T DT, DE and O line. We lost Hargraves and McGlinchey who got reasonable offers and we shouldn't have. I don't care what the Chicago Media says about Poles having reservations on them, Poles should have secured those guys. We then lose Monty to Detroit for 18M over 3 years?????? No way this guy from Seattle can replace Monty. Now we hear this nonsense about Ngakoue from Indy, Orlando Brown and TE Gesicki coming here on 1 year deals? Come on Ryan Angelo, get some shit done. Stop fucking around.
dplank
Hall of Famer

BigDaddy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:57 pm Not sure I understand Poles logic with this signing given the needs at 3T DT, DE and O line. We lost Hargraves and McGlinchey who got reasonable offers and we shouldn't have. I don't care what the Chicago Media says about Poles having reservations on them, Poles should have secured those guys. We then lose Monty to Detroit for 18M over 3 years?????? No way this guy from Seattle can replace Monty. Now we hear this nonsense about Ngakoue from Indy, Orlando Brown and TE Gesicki coming here on 1 year deals? Come on Ryan Angelo, get some shit done. Stop fucking around.
I keep waiting for the rest of his plan to take shape, but the talent pool is drying up fast.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:13 pm
BigDaddy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:57 pm Not sure I understand Poles logic with this signing given the needs at 3T DT, DE and O line. We lost Hargraves and McGlinchey who got reasonable offers and we shouldn't have. I don't care what the Chicago Media says about Poles having reservations on them, Poles should have secured those guys. We then lose Monty to Detroit for 18M over 3 years?????? No way this guy from Seattle can replace Monty. Now we hear this nonsense about Ngakoue from Indy, Orlando Brown and TE Gesicki coming here on 1 year deals? Come on Ryan Angelo, get some shit done. Stop fucking around.
I keep waiting for the rest of his plan to take shape, but the talent pool is drying up fast.
I'm pretty sure what you're waiting for is him to execute your plan. His plan is clearly different.

I'm surprised about his plan so far too but refrain from implying he's failing at anything at this point because that would be absurd - and more of a self serving complaint that the GM doesn't think exactly the way I do.

I find some of the moves so far to be surprising yet brilliant. A lack of moves in other areas at this point aren't scary, given his remaining capital. Building the trenches through the draft is a solid-AF plan.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

GMAFB IE

Every poster in this board and every beat writer that covers the team and every national writer all saw the same holes on our roster. Our needs were clear and obvious: DE (2), DT (2), C, RT.

So no, I’m not talking about my plan - hell I freaking called the Edmunds signing, did you? I’m talking about what everyone here knows our needs are and the straight up fact that Poles has spent his money elsewhere. There is legitimate reasons to question his approach thus far. Just like last year when you kept yelling at everyone who said we were gonna suck, how’d that work out?

Sort of like last year when we all knew the team didn’t have the talent to compete and you kept telling everyone we were wrong and couldn’t question the plan. We weren’t wrong, you were.

People have as much right to question him as you have to blindly believe he’s flawless. Step down from that high horse
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:55 pm GMAFB IE

Every poster in this board and every beat writer that covers the team and every national writer all saw the same holes on our roster. Our needs were clear and obvious: DE (2), DT (2), C, RT.

So no, I’m not talking about my plan - hell I freaking called the Edmunds signing, did you? I’m talking about what everyone here knows our needs are and the straight up fact that Poles has spent his money elsewhere. There is legitimate reasons to question his approach thus far. Just like last year when you kept yelling at everyone who said we were gonna suck, how’d that work out?

Sort of like last year when we all knew the team didn’t have the talent to compete and you kept telling everyone we were wrong and couldn’t question the plan. We weren’t wrong, you were.

People have as much right to question him as you have to blindly believe he’s flawless. Step down from that high horse

If you don't bad mouth Poles you are wrong IE!

Personally I have liked the offseason so far - it's not perfect (they NEVER are ) - But the GM not having a perfect Offseason every year doesn't mean they should take this level of crap either
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Eh, last year a lot of patience was heaped and the end result never really changed.

Something may change the course of the offseason dramatically, but there's enough to have legit complaints about, even if you don't expect perfection.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:28 pm Eh, last year a lot of patience was heaped and the end result never really changed.

Something may change the course of the offseason dramatically, but there's enough to have legit complaints about, even if you don't expect perfection.
Last year - people of my ilk - were saying it was a two year process (min) and that the 2022 FA crop was really bad (AND IT WAS!) (Lots of handringing about no Bates or Alex Cappa or Morgan Moses I guess?)

There was a level of group think on D.Jones (DL that went to Seattle) - and I was certainly guilty of it

Its also - ummmm - odd to throw dirt on the offseason when FA isn't over AND THE DRAFT HASNT HAPPENED

The one where we have a Top 10 pick, 2 2nds, high 3rd and 2 4ths

We already added 2 WR *(counting Claypool in that calculation) - Starting Guard, 2 at least rotational DL, and redid the whole LB corps (and secondary I'd argue was already in a good place)