Seems Day 1 is over....where from here?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

duckherd50
Player of the Month

Ok, I dont know how much cap space we have left. But, where would some of you like to go from here?

Jones, McGary, Ogunjobi, Rankins, Ngakoue, Ford, S. Griffin, Clowney, Ya-Sin, Key, Seumalo, Ebukam, F. Clark, G. Gaines, A. Robinson (DT), a running back?

What you got and who you want?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

would be funny to offer ogunjobi a contract
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

The best left tackles out there (Orlando Brown or Donovan Smith). DLs and/or Edges can come via draft (Carter, Wilson, Murphy, Bresee, Ika).

No idea if that’s attainable but that’s what I’d like to see.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

I forgot about Tomlinson. But, he just signed with the Browns anyway $15m/season
MACKSMACK
Practice Squad

Just by averages and assuming we had ~75 mil remaining after taking on DJ's contract, I'd say we have about 36.5 mil left after the 4 contracts "signed" today.
NYer that fell in love with Sweetness destroying defenders with that legendary stiff arm @ 8 yrs old. I'll never forget those early days and now, after many many years we have some integral players that'll be the key to success in the very near future.
MACKSMACK
Practice Squad

If we could somehow entice LAC to trade us Ekeler for a 2nd, then pay him 11 per...maybe get that SF C that we were looking at and another Edge. Idk, they've surprised me quite a bit today.
NYer that fell in love with Sweetness destroying defenders with that legendary stiff arm @ 8 yrs old. I'll never forget those early days and now, after many many years we have some integral players that'll be the key to success in the very near future.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I figure the Bears can sign 3 more name guys to make $5m+. I wanted them to sign David Montgomery back but also want a decent OT, DT, and CB so I think I’m going to be disappointed in one of those groups. I didn’t anticipate the investment in LB…
xyt in the discord chats
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:11 pm I didn’t anticipate the investment in LB…
I don’t think anyone did. Akin to what I expected the investment in the trenches to be.
Cartman
Practice Squad

I want them to sign Orlando Brown badly. I think that is our #1 need. He's young (25) and should be a solid player for years to come. After that, I'm done with free agency until after the draft. Spend the majority of your picks boosting the d-line and the o-line. Maybe Carter drops to us at #9 then we grab him. If not, grab the best offensive tackle on the board. Concentrate on those areas for the most part. I might deviate from that for a pick or two (like if RB Bijan Robinson out of Texas is on the board when we pick in the 2nd round). I don't trust Herbert to stay healthy. And I'm not keen on paying Montgomery around $10M a season for a solid, but not spectacular, RB. He's a great locker room guy but his time may have come, imo.
MACKSMACK
Practice Squad

I wouldn't be opposed to Jamaal Williams if it were at the right price. I'd also go after Frank Clark if he's still available? But this all feels like one more big signing and a bunch of smaller deals on upside depth guys.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Well day 1 has gone down like a cup of cold vomit for me.

It feels like another tank. I just hope we sign a QB to take the hits instead of Fields and bench him until next season when we add some protection
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

UOK
Site Admin

I think there will be 2-3 more Demarcus Walker-esque signings and the rest will come through the draft.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

$50m left?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Still need DT and OT. One can be addressed at 9. Kancey? Breese? Maybe Van Ness? Seems more like an OT will be taken.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
cblaz11
MVP

I like a lot of what we’ve done….my issue is this..going into the day we all agreed that our biggest needs were dline and oline and I don’t know how much better I feel about this two positions after day 1.

I like Davis but was he truly a need? Do we cut Cody or are we prepared to give Jenkins an opportunity at RT. Personally, I think we need as much talent as possible up front so I don’t think I’d move on from Cody just yet.

Our linebacker group is now a strength of our D but again, did we really need both?

All of that said, RT, OC, and dline are IMO, the 3 deepest positions of the draft.
IotaNet
MVP

cblaz11 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:31 am … All of that said, RT, OC, and dline are IMO, the 3 deepest positions of the draft.
And there’s your answer right there.

Poles has been adamant about

1) Going with HIS kind of guys
2) Getting and staying younger
3) Not overpaying anybody

He is setting the Bears up for long term success, not making free agent headlines. Every single move he made yesterday has been considered solid and smart by the analysts.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
cblaz11
MVP

Also, all of these guys fit the HITS principles. Seems he’s not worried about position as much right now, just focused on adding good young players.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He's definitely working off his own blueprint, not input from analysts and fans.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:31 am
cblaz11 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:31 am … All of that said, RT, OC, and dline are IMO, the 3 deepest positions of the draft.
And there’s your answer right there.

Poles has been adamant about

1) Going with HIS kind of guys
2) Getting and staying younger
3) Not overpaying anybody

He is setting the Bears up for long term success, not making free agent headlines. Every single move he made yesterday has been considered solid and smart by the analysts.
I get the Poles love right now, but “not overpaying anybody” isn’t really true. 18M for Edmunds is a lot and at a luxury position to boot. Had another team signed him for that number everyone would be praising Poles restraint and pointed to Spotrac estimated contract and laughed at the other GM for the overpay. Nate Davis might be a small overpay and same with the edge from Tennessee.

I’m happy with these signings so I’m not complaining about them, just noting that now that Poles is in acquisition mode he is spending some money and in some cases spending above the predicted value of the player.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Poles will likely fill out the OL through the draft. My guess is he knows he found Jones in the 5th round, and can do the same with other OL positions. This is a fairly deep draft for OL in rounds 2-4, and we have five picks in those rounds. I'm guessing we take Van Ness in round 1 and two OL in rounds two and three. We might even be able to trade back a couple of spots, pick up an extra 3rd, and still take Van Ness.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:52 am Poles will likely fill out the OL through the draft. My guess is he knows he found Jones in the 5th round, and can do the same with other OL positions. This is a fairly deep draft for OL in rounds 2-4, and we have five picks in those rounds. I'm guessing we take Van Ness in round 1 and two OL in rounds two and three. We might even be able to trade back a couple of spots, pick up an extra 3rd, and still take Van Ness.
I think this is probably the move. Carter or Van Ness at 9. RT/IOL/DL in some combination with the next 3 picks.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:43 am I think there will be 2-3 more Demarcus Walker-esque signings and the rest will come through the draft.
I don't think 2-3 more Walker types gets them quite where they need to be on a cash basis.

I think one more big one in the $15M+- likely Brown or McGary would be needed.

If not one more big one, then more like 4 Walker types.

I think I make actually prefer the latter. Spread around depth to ensure no obvious holes are open for draft and they're not taking a need approach.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:56 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:52 am Poles will likely fill out the OL through the draft. My guess is he knows he found Jones in the 5th round, and can do the same with other OL positions. This is a fairly deep draft for OL in rounds 2-4, and we have five picks in those rounds. I'm guessing we take Van Ness in round 1 and two OL in rounds two and three. We might even be able to trade back a couple of spots, pick up an extra 3rd, and still take Van Ness.
I think this is probably the move. Carter or Van Ness at 9. RT/IOL/DL in some combination with the next 3 picks.
That's leaving too much to chance for my liking. 9 is the only spot where I think you can draft for a need - assuming you have several guys you like that fit the bill (not sure Carter should count in this case either as he's likely way gone or if he's not, he's damaged enough to be off the board for a while)

Theres no reason to go into the draft with 3-4 obvious needs. Thinking he's just gonna find another Jones in Rd 5 would be such dumb overconfidence. Don't leave the health of the roster down on narrow lotto tickets. Double down on a few areas and create real depth along the way.
wab
Mod

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:12 am
wab wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:56 am
That's leaving too much to chance for my liking. 9 is the only spot where I think you can draft for a need - assuming you have several guys you like that fit the bill (not sure Carter should count in this case either as he's likely way gone or if he's not, he's damaged enough to be off the board for a while)

Theres no reason to go into the draft with 3-4 obvious needs. Thinking he's just gonna find another Jones in Rd 5 would be such dumb overconfidence. Don't leave the health of the roster down on narrow lotto tickets. Double down on a few areas and create real depth along the way.
Yeah, but if you are going to build through the draft, eventually you are going to have to have a little confidence that you can address needs using draft picks.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:07 am
UOK wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:43 am I think there will be 2-3 more Demarcus Walker-esque signings and the rest will come through the draft.
I don't think 2-3 more Walker types gets them quite where they need to be on a cash basis.

I think I make actually prefer the latter. Spread around depth to ensure no obvious holes are open for draft and they're not taking a need approach.
If they extend JJ, Kmet and or Mooney it will each a large chunk of that money.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:16 am
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:12 am

Yeah, but if you are going to build through the draft, eventually you are going to have to have a little confidence that you can address needs using draft picks.
Eh I mostly disagree to that point. Your classically strong drafting teams get most of their good rookie class value in years 3-4 of the class. That's generally true league wise as far as when rookies add value. Most rookies are bad year one or don't play outside special teams. Maybe at round 1 is the only area where you generally expect immediate contributors (especially if you're a playoff team since your second rounder is pick 50+). After that if you're filling for starting role needs year 1 your barking up a unrealistic tree.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

It's clearly silly to judge a FA period by the first day alone. But I have to say... I'm completely confused as to what Poles priorities are and what they are doing.

They start with signing 2 LBs (and I was calling for signing Edmunds), which moves one of our super young starters who was playing well to another position and/or on the bench 85% of the time. Then we sign an OG, who has only played the position of our best--and again, super young--OL guy. So now we're moving somebody else around. We desperately need an OT, so we're moving the guy who flat out failed at OT, but looked like a future pro bowl OG last year back to RT? Our DL is clearly our weakest spot, so we sign a guy nobody's ever heard of for backup $$$? And no DTs?

So we've spent half of our FA $$$ and filled needs we mostly didn't have and yet, we still have huge holes to fill. I'm confused.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:19 am
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:07 am

If they extend JJ, Kmet and or Mooney it will each a large chunk of that money.
I don't personally have much confidence in Mooney or JJ getting done.

Kmet I think gets done add will add some. But I can't stress how much even if they end up like 15-25 M over the cashb limit that is nothing. They are certain to still be one of the least leveraged teams going into 2024 - by a very comfortable amount from most teams. With still plenty of flexibility. What if Kmet doesn't get done? Most extensions dont get done til August/Sept. A little certainty and extra cash isn't going to kill them

Poles can't let himself become a Ballard.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I think you have to look at what was available in FA and the going rate for those positions, and then how the draft is shaping up from a depth perspective at each position. This is a really light draft in terms of ILB, AND Flus' defense is predicated on fast and rangy LB's. Poles has taken what needed in FA thus far, and sidestepped positions that he knew he was going to be able to fill in rounds 1-4.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:22 am It's clearly silly to judge a FA period by the first day alone. But I have to say... I'm completely confused as to what Poles priorities are and what they are doing.

They start with signing 2 LBs (and I was calling for signing Edmunds), which moves one of our super young starters who was playing well to another position and/or on the bench 85% of the time. Then we sign an OG, who has only played the position of our best--and again, super young--OL guy. So now we're moving somebody else around. We desperately need an OT, so we're moving the guy who flat out failed at OT, but looked like a future pro bowl OG last year back to RT? Our DL is clearly our weakest spot, so we sign a guy nobody's ever heard of for backup $$$? And no DTs?

So we've spent half of our FA $$$ and filled needs we mostly didn't have and yet, we still have huge holes to fill. I'm confused.
I'm confused too, but not necessarily bothered by it...if that makes sense. Sure, the 3 middle linebackers on the team doesn't make sense, but they are clearly trying to recreate the Briggs/Urlacher/Hillenmeyer dynamic. And the deal for Edwards is essentially a 1 year contract.

The Davis thing I do sort of get. They want consistency at RG and they haven't had that (although Davis has only played one fully healthy season since being drafted).

It pushes Jenkins back to RT where he's said he wants to be - I disagree that he flat out failed, because he's never even played RT for the Bears. I also go back to what I said last offseason: I just don't think the Bears like Jenkins all that much. They HAD to use him at RG...it's not like that was the plan all along. He still has a lot to prove to this staff if he wants to be in the long term plans.