Seems Day 1 is over....where from here?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:41 pm
Z Bear wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:17 pm So our best offensive lineman last season can't play the position he domiated in college and most people thought he's play in the pros?
I'm not saying Jenkins can or can't at this point, but why would you find that so incredible?

Lots of college Ts who are good enough for the NFL, aren't good enough to stay at T.

Like Cody Whitehair (R2)
And Michael Schofield (R3)
And J'Tyre Carter
And probably Alex Leatherwood (R1)
I don’t trust the team’s evaluation or handling of him thus far. I’d like to see him get a shot at RT
wulfy
MVP

dplank wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:37 pm
wab wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:18 pm According to Greg Gabriel the Bears were never in on Hargrave due to his age, bowed out very early in the McGlinchey negotiations, and decided against Jones before FA even started.
That is damn interesting and makes sense when looking at how things went down. I wonder what they didn’t like about Jones?

The other two I totally get.
Probably because they are professionals watching tape with a deep understanding of what the defense wants to do vs Message Board Nerds who watch a few clips on YouTube (present company included - not intended as a shot to anyone, I lump myself in this category too).

If you trust Poles can evaluate talent - then I would trust that he didn't think Jones could do what 'flus needed him to do in this defense at an incredibly high level (based on the comp required).

Time will tell if he's right or not.
wab
Mod

wab wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:18 pm According to Greg Gabriel the Bears were never in on Hargrave due to his age, bowed out very early in the McGlinchey negotiations, and decided against Jones before FA even started.
That is damn interesting and makes sense when looking at how things went down. I wonder what they didn’t like about Jones?

In the quote (I’ll go find it) Gabriel implied that before FA that they had a price in mind for Jones and it was lower than what he got.
wab
Mod

GOING INTO YESTERDAY, IT WAS BELIEVED THE CHICAGO BEARS WERE GOING AFTER PEOPLE LIKE JAVON HARGRAVE, DRE’MONT JONES, AND MIKE MCGLINCHEY. THE TRUTH IS THEY BOWED OUT ON JONES LONG BEFORE YESTERDAY BEGAN, NEVER CONSIDERED HARGRAVE BECAUSE OF HIS AGE, AND WALKED AWAY FROM MCGLINCHEY MORE THAN AN HOUR BEFORE HIS DEAL WITH DENVER WAS ANNOUNCED…

…THE BEARS HAD A PRICE LIMIT FOR JONES, AND IT WASN’T CLOSE TO $18M; IN FACT, IT WASN’T CLOSE TO $16M. YES, THEY WOULD HAVE LIKED TO SIGN THE PLAYER, BUT NOT AT A PRICE WAY OVER WHAT THEY FELT HE WAS WORTH.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bears can give Jenkins a shot at RT but they better have signed or drafted one also.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

Finally getting a moment to check out the boards reaction to Day 1...
Ya'll ok over here? Seems like people are already in midseason bickering form.

So, we signed two linebackers -- Tremaine Edmunds I love, it's as close to having re-signed Roquon as we could get, and in the same ballpark money-wise (1 fewer year, $10 mil less guaranteed money). He's still only 24, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that he earns a future extension with the Bears once we're in contention.
TJ Edwards played well, is 26, and while signed for 3 years, if Sanborn ends up beating him for the starting MLB job, we get away after a single year. I like this way more than simply penciling Sanborn in as a starter.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... fQQsToruGc
I like both these signings.

DeMarcus Walker has played most of his career as a 5-tech while with Denver. Last year he played both inside and outside at Tennessee, but per Greg Gabriel at least, his best production, especially as a pass rusher, was from the inside. Maybe that's our placeholder at 3T, maybe he's an inside-outside guy in rotation for us. Either way, I like that value compared to Dre'mont Jones

Last, we get Nate Davis. Solid starter, good fit for a zone scheme, has started at RG in the NFL, but played left tackle when he was at Charlotte. Davis has an arm length that did not meet NFL standards, and the Titans moved him inside -- I could see him playing either G spot. The interpretations here are really based on how you read the tea leaves -- does he push Whitehair off the team? Does he replace Jenkins at RG and Jenkins goes to RT (admittedly, this is my hope)? Is this a sign the Bears are worried Jenkins won't be able to come back from the end of year injury or insurance against that? Frankly, I'm ok with the uncertainty at this point in the offseason -- he's a good player, he'll start somewhere on the line. Maybe they move Whitehair back to Center

-------------

We didn't overpay for McGlinchey, I'm fine with that. We didn't go after Jawaan Taylor, I'm fine with that (also, that tracks with my expectation that they're expecting Braxton Jones to make a big jump in the offseason -- of course he took his lumps as a 5th round rookie -- as all rookies do -- but he improved over the course of the season. It's unlikely to me that most organizations are going to move away from a guy who played well enough to be All Rookie Team. Not in year 2. Not with every other need out there to address).

We've still got a lot of needs, but we're not going to have them all met on day 1. I like the value added so far.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Z Bear
MVP

Jenkins sat behind Borom as a message early in the season then got thrown into guard out of necessity due to injuries and incompetance. Poles has said he did not view him as a guard cominng out so I feel they might give him at chance to redeem himself at RT.

That is the only thing that makes sense unless they are planning to get rid of Whitehair. But then you are moving Teven to a new position anways, so it makes more sense to try him at the position he excelled at during college.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

Z Bear wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:14 pm Jenkins sat behind Borom as a message early in the season then got thrown into guard out of necessity due to injuries and incompetance. Poles has said he did not view him as a guard cominng out so I feel they might give him at chance to redeem himself at RT.

That is the only thing that makes sense unless they are planning to get rid of Whitehair. But then you are moving Teven to a new position anways, so it makes more sense to try him at the position he excelled at during college.
That's what I'm hoping as well. I'm also worried that Jenkins' injuries are going to take him off the field permanently
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

Jenkins can go to LG if we get Brown. Brown and Jones at T, Davis at RG and Jenkins at LG.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:44 pm

Probably because they are professionals watching tape with a deep understanding of what the defense wants to do vs Message Board Nerds who watch a few clips on YouTube (present company included - not intended as a shot to anyone, I lump myself in this category too).

If you trust Poles can evaluate talent - then I would trust that he didn't think Jones could do what 'flus needed him to do in this defense at an incredibly high level (based on the comp required).

Time will tell if he's right or not.
Well, there wouldn't much to talk about if we just assume everything he does is the right answer because he's a professional and we aren't. Plus it would be no fun and there would be no reason for a fan board like this one. And even if we did, even if Poles is the GOAT GM he won't be right every single time. So there's plenty of room for asking questions IMO.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

Who is a QB (that has a like skill set to Fields) that is a free agent?
duckherd50
Player of the Month

If Jets are getting Lazard, Cobb, and OBJ, then the Bears need to offer something for Garrett Wilson (lol)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I'm on the Poona Ford train. I'm ready to give that lil guy a chance to shine.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

No ... comment ....
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:56 pm
GOING INTO YESTERDAY, IT WAS BELIEVED THE CHICAGO BEARS WERE GOING AFTER PEOPLE LIKE JAVON HARGRAVE, DRE’MONT JONES, AND MIKE MCGLINCHEY. THE TRUTH IS THEY BOWED OUT ON JONES LONG BEFORE YESTERDAY BEGAN, NEVER CONSIDERED HARGRAVE BECAUSE OF HIS AGE, AND WALKED AWAY FROM MCGLINCHEY MORE THAN AN HOUR BEFORE HIS DEAL WITH DENVER WAS ANNOUNCED…

…THE BEARS HAD A PRICE LIMIT FOR JONES, AND IT WASN’T CLOSE TO $18M; IN FACT, IT WASN’T CLOSE TO $16M. YES, THEY WOULD HAVE LIKED TO SIGN THE PLAYER, BUT NOT AT A PRICE WAY OVER WHAT THEY FELT HE WAS WORTH.
Now this DOES feel like some smoke in terms of what they might do with Pick # 9
RichH55
Hall of Famer

duckherd50 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:02 pm Who is a QB (that has a like skill set to Fields) that is a free agent?
Lamar Jackson
duckherd50
Player of the Month

RichH55 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:16 pm
duckherd50 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:02 pm Who is a QB (that has a like skill set to Fields) that is a free agent?
Lamar Jackson
maybe we will sign him