New theory

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Here’s how the plan can come together…..

Poles is waiting to cut Whitehair based on if he can sign Brown Jr. So we sign Brown and get 5M back when we cut Whitehair. We are then free to draft best DL at 9 and probably double dip with one of our two 2nd round picks. And that C everyone likes with the other.

OL = Brown/Jenkins/Patrick or Rookie/Davis/Jones
DL = #9 pick/Walker/Jones+R2/Gibson+DomRob

Our WR room is already set as is our back 7 of our defense now that we have a very good LB corps. And that OL could be great. Sign a 4th rd RB to replace Monty.

We could flip LT RT if needed, if that’s a firm requirement to adding Brown then I’d simply tell him: Hey, this IS your big NFL contract and we are going to pay you like a LT but we need to play you at RT.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I already had the draft part of your plan in mind. 2 DL guys out of the first 4 picks.

I'm certainly no expert on Brown, but I've heard that he doesn't fit our wide zone scheme. Strictly rumor tho.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
cblaz11
MVP

I don’t see us cutting Cody until we get much closer to camp…We have guys that can play multiple spots across the line, they told us their approach last year. They will start the best possible 5…

Cody can play 3 spots
Jenkins can play 3
Braxton can play 2
Patrick 3

My worry with Poles is that he thinks he know something that nobody else does when it comes to line play:…because he played the spot. It was a major need last year and he waited for scraps in free agency and the draft, he’s going to do the same this year. He thinks he’s smarter then other GMs when it comes to oline and that scares me.

My prediction

Braxton
Cody
4th-6th rd Rookie/Patrick
Davis
4th-6th rd rookie/Jenkins
Z Bear
MVP

The Bears are not going after Orlando Brown, Grreg Gabrial stated they decided against it before free agency ever started. Your offensive line is going to be Braxton Jones at LT, Whitehair, Lucas Patrick, Nate Davis, and Tevin Jenkins at RT with some rookies pushing them.

A DL at #9 is hoping that Tyree Wilson or Jalen Carter drop or you over draft Lucas Van Ness. As it stands right now all of the first 4 picks should be devoted to the trenches, 2 OL and 2 DL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:21 am I don’t see us cutting Cody until we get much closer to camp…We have guys that can play multiple spots across the line, they told us their approach last year. They will start the best possible 5…

Cody can play 3 spots
Jenkins can play 3
Braxton can play 2
Patrick 3

My worry with Poles is that he thinks he know something that nobody else does when it comes to line play:…because he played the spot. It was a major need last year and he waited for scraps in free agency and the draft, he’s going to do the same this year. He thinks he’s smarter then other GMs when it comes to oline and that scares me.

My prediction

Braxton
Cody
4th-6th rd Rookie/Patrick
Davis
4th-6th rd rookie/Jenkins
I notice you correctly didn't put "can play" next to Patrick. :thumbsup:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m just looking for silver linings here lol

My initial excitement with Poles has dampened significantly, those first moves make sense only if they are “first major moves” and not “the only major moves other than scrubs”. Holding out hope he still has something up his sleeve.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:33 am I’m just looking for silver linings here lol

My initial excitement with Poles has dampened significantly, those first moves make sense only if they are “first major moves” and not “the only major moves other than scrubs”. Holding out hope he still has something up his sleeve.
While I've expressed my confusion of the signings thus far--and I think that's still reasonable--you can't judge an offseason by what happens the first few days. The goal is the outcome when September arrives. That's all that really matters.

cblaz11
MVP

So we shouldn’t talk about it? Lol

We say it all the time, we don’t know Poles yet. That said, now we have two offseasons that show his approach to protecting our number 1 asset, and it’s completely different then every other team in the league. That’s not typically a good thing in the NFL.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Heard a rumor (from a source I don't necessarily trust totally) that Bears prefer even Borom to Jenkins. I really worry he's not in the plans. If I didn't already have good reason to believe it I'd be skeptical, but in this case I feel like it fits what we know.

Don't know how to read Brown stuff. Greg Gabriel been pretty clear his thoughts on the scheme thought. Obviously lots of smoke about the L/R stuff. I think this is 90% coded language that just means money. Probably a difference of 22 to 17.

I have no idea what Poles plans for the trenches, but after seeing a handful more guys go off the board yesterday, certainly feel less great about it.
cblaz11
MVP

If after last year, he prefers Borom to Jenkins, we have a bigger problem.

Our GM isn’t focused on the right things lol
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Poles has come from an organization that has found O line deep in the draft. So while it’s a concern, I feel like he’s going to take his highest rated player no matter what in the first. First 3 picks will address needs if able and needs might get a slight boost in grades. But with many vets out there that can plug and play for a cheap price, and a few rumored guys getting cut June 1, it’s not a huge concern yet if he’s not rushing to fill spots
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:14 am If after last year, he prefers Borom to Jenkins, we have a bigger problem.

Yeah. Personally, I don't believe it. All I've ever heard about Jenkins is rumor mongering. For some reason, the press has it out for him. I think maybe...maybe, Jenkins wasn't in shape coming into training camp and Eberflus wasn't happy (can you see his reaction to Carter lol). But Jenkins did everything they asked of him and was simply a beast when he played. If you look at this Pilates video I posted earlier:

you can already see that Tevin's lost a couple of inches around his middle. That alone should help his quickness at RT. Also, if you look at Jenkins performing the exercise, he straightens up his posture when he comes to the middle. That's how the exercise is supposed to be run. The other two don't. That tells me that Tevin has been at work with Pilates for a while. I expect him to be a fully functional battlestar by the time training camp starts. And I expect him to be healthy the entire year. I know Pilates save me from my back. Literally. And has been good for over twenty years.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:30 am
cblaz11 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:14 am If after last year, he prefers Borom to Jenkins, we have a bigger problem.

Yeah. Personally, I don't believe it. All I've ever heard about Jenkins is rumor mongering. For some reason, the press has it out for him. I think maybe...maybe, Jenkins wasn't in shape coming into training camp and Eberflus wasn't happy (can you see his reaction to Carter lol). But Jenkins did everything they asked of him and was simply a beast when he played. If you look at this Pilates video I posted earlier:

you can already see that Tevin's lost a couple of inches around his middle. That alone should help his quickness at RT. Also, if you look at Jenkins performing the exercise, he straightens up his posture when he comes to the middle. That's how the exercise is supposed to be run. The other two don't. That tells me that Tevin has been at work with Pilates for a while. I expect him to be a fully functional battlestar by the time training camp starts. And I expect him to be healthy the entire year. I know Pilates save me from my back. Literally. And has been good for over twenty years.
I hope your right. If Teven comes in with an attitude similar to what was rumored to be the issue last offseason, you gotta think he doesnt make it to camp. Which would be a shame because when he is on the field he is very good. I think he can be an All Pro guard if he stays healthy. Thats not something you want to lose.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I actually think he can be an all-pro RT. That's what he considers himself to be. And if he loses some weight, his quickness, which was his biggest weakness at tackle last year, will improve considerably. I love the idea of Jenkins playing next to Davis on our right side. Gives me warm fuzzies. Just makes me wish Monty would have been here to experience it.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bears are expecting to write a lot of checks in the draft: OT, DT, 3T, DE, now RB, maybe CB. Hopefully Poles' acumen can cover most of them.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
cblaz11
MVP

Don’t get me wrong…I think Jenkins is extremely immature and a very selfish player. There was an interview with him in January and in one sentence he talks about playing wherever they need him then in another he talks about wanting to play OT because he wants to make the most money possible. Don’t get me wrong, I get it…but it came off very selfish for a guy that hasn’t proved as much.

Playing with a guys like Justin Fields, Kmet, Claypool, and others can change him, but I’m worried.

For me, I’d love him for a late 2nd and be happy. That said, I don’t see anyone giving that up. When it comes to things like this, where there’s smoke, there’s usually fire.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

My reading of this:

Mustipher is pulling up trees every day in practice so he’s the Golden child, but he wets himself when he’s on the line of scrimmage on a game day.

Jenkins is the polar opposite. He’s had a bad injury so practice is a means to keeping himself ticking over. On game day he’s like an attack dog and he’s taking on any opponent in his line of sight. This makes him “a problem” for the practice obsessed FO.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:40 am I actually think he can be an all-pro RT. That's what he considers himself to be. And if he loses some weight, his quickness, which was his biggest weakness at tackle last year, will improve considerably. I love the idea of Jenkins playing next to Davis on our right side. Gives me warm fuzzies. Just makes me wish Monty would have been here to experience it.
I agree Yogi. I just have zero confidence Poles and staff share that vision.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yeah - ummm. One Pilates class isn't the same as "Everything asked of him"

Unless they really, really, really had no expectations for him
wab
Mod

I don’t think you can glean much about Jenkins from a grainy 15 second video.

I can’t see any reason that the media would have it out for him. The actions of the coaches tell me more than what some talking head says.

He was demoted, benched, pressed into action out of need, then essentially replaced by a free agent two days ago. I had/have high hopes for Jenkins, but the writing was on the wall last training camp and it hasn’t exactly been erased.
wulfy
MVP

On cutting Whitehair, they don't need to do that to sign Brown. They may choose to as a veteran courtesy if he isn't in their plans.

I think Poles knows more about Brown Jr than any other GM (short of the Chiefs) - if he doesn't make an effort to sign him (and so far have seen zero evidence of that) - then Greg Gabriel's report is probably right. I don't know if Gabriel has insider info or not - it's been a LONG time since he's been in that building.

Will be nice when Poles has a presser and can sort some of this out - example is Walker a DE or a 3T? What side is Davis going to play on? etc.

I also don't seem the doom and gloom that others do on Jenkins .... switching from RG to LG isn't like switching from RT to LT, I'm pretty sure either Davis or Jenkins can figure that one out.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:50 am - then Greg Gabriel's report is probably right. I don't know if Gabriel has insider info or not - it's been a LONG time since he's been in that building.
From what I can gather he definitely has sources, but is kind of a blustering fool who wants to toot his own horn and creds so people still take anything from him with a grain of salt.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I like him, but he has been wrong a lot. In fact, just a couple of days ago he was touting how much the Bears wanted Monty back.