2023 Draft Sims

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:18 pm Latest mock I did, very d line heavy.
DTR in round 7 - yes please :clap:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

PFN this time. However, their rankings are utterly laughable right now. I just completely ignored them and took whoever was still available at places I felt were realistic.

I went with the Poles attitude of "Fuck it, we aren't filling all these holes this year, either." Came pretty close, though.

1.9 -> 1.17, 2.32 Got our R2 back from those stinking thieves

1.17 DE Lukas Van Ness Iowa
2.32 3T Adetomiwa Adebawore Northwestern
2.53 CB Eli Ricks Alabama
2.61 C/G Joe Tippmann Wisconsin
3.64 1T Keeanu Benton Wisconsin
4.103 WR Trey Palmer Nebraska
Crucial PR ability, besides blazing speed
4.133 DE Dylan Horton TCU
5.136 S Daniel Scott California
5.148 RT/G Jaxson Kirkland Washington
Couldn't manage better, so I guess we're rolling with Jenkins and Kirkland as backup
7.218 QB Malik Cunningham Louisville
7.258 TE Davis Allen Clemson
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Z Bear
MVP

Today's NFL Mock Draft Database try. I still think they will plug a few more holes in free agency, but this fills a lot of needs that are still present at the moment.

9 Paris Johnson Jr. OT | Ohio State A
53 Isaiah Foskey EDGE | Notre Dame A+
61 Tuli Tuipulotu DL | USC A+
64 Joe Tippmann IOL | Wisconsin A
103 Tyjae Spears RB | Tulane A
133 Riley Moss CB | Iowa A+
136 Xavier Hutchinson WR | Iowa State A+
148 Jarrett Patterson IOL | Notre Dame B+
218 Keondre Coburn DL | Texas B+
258 Max Duggan QB | TCU A+
Heinz D.
MVP

Z Bear wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:47 pm Today's NFL Mock Draft Database try. I still think they will plug a few more holes in free agency, but this fills a lot of needs that are still present at the moment.

9 Paris Johnson Jr. OT | Ohio State A
53 Isaiah Foskey EDGE | Notre Dame A+
61 Tuli Tuipulotu DL | USC A+
64 Joe Tippmann IOL | Wisconsin A
103 Tyjae Spears RB | Tulane A
133 Riley Moss CB | Iowa A+
136 Xavier Hutchinson WR | Iowa State A+
148 Jarrett Patterson IOL | Notre Dame B+
218 Keondre Coburn DL | Texas B+
258 Max Duggan QB | TCU A+
That thing is BROKEN.

Xavier Hutchinson and Jarrett Patterson will be drafted before round 3.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Heinz D. wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:38 pm
Xavier Hutchinson and Jarrett Patterson will be drafted before round 3.
Maybe. I'd bet against both, myself — I think they're both Day 3 guys.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:24 am PFN this time. However, their rankings are utterly laughable right now. I just completely ignored them and took whoever was still available at places I felt were realistic.

I went with the Poles attitude of "Fuck it, we aren't filling all these holes this year, either." Came pretty close, though.

Couldn't manage better, so I guess we're rolling with Jenkins and Kirkland as backup
Like this, seems like a Bears draft. But still need a RT. The WR from Houston, Nat Dell, is supposed to be electric with the ball in his hands, a much better route runner than just a "fly" guy, and a damned good PR. Seen him fall a bit on some boards.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Heinz D.
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:43 pm Maybe. I'd bet against both, myself — I think they're both Day 3 guys.
"Bet", you say? How about...oh, wait. Never mind. ;)
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

My first post FA Mock. Super enjoyable and happy with this.

Trade Back: 1.09 to the Commanders for 1.16 and 2.47

Paris Johnson was on the board but Skoronski, Carter, T. Wilson were gone along with all 4 QBs and Anderson. Washington traded up and selected CB C. Gonzalez.

1.16: Select Lukas Van Ness, DE

OTs Johnson and B. Jones off the board as was Miles Murphy. Happy to take Van Ness here. Kancey was on the board but I don't see him as a fit in this defense plus I have a plan to trade up for a good DT in round 2.

Trade Up with Oakland Raiders: 2.47 + 4.33 for 2.38

Believe I need to get into the late 30's early 40s to have a shot at my target, Mazi Smith.

2.38 Select Mazi Smith, DT
Smith is the run-stuffing, strong-as-an-Ox DT this team needs. He can rotate with Billings as a rookie and eventually take over as our starting DT.

2.54 Select Codi Mauch
Our Poor man's Skoronski. Who knows: he could be better. Mauch can come in and immediately compete with our OL. He has flexibility to play RT or inside...even Center possibly. He brings a ton of athleticism and size and the right attitude. He seems to be coachable and can develop as a sub for a year if needed.

Trade Back with NOS: 2.61 for 3.74 + 4.115

I move back 13 spots here knowing that I already have 1.64. In return, I not only get back the later 4th I gave to move up for Mazi Smith but I actually move up 18 spaces in the 4th round for that. Happy with this trade back. I miss CB J Brents, G Avila, CB C Phillips III between this trade back and my next selection at 3.64. The CBs would be nice but I'm thinking the Bears will have to find a stop gap CB in FA this year and possibly look at drafting a first rounder next off season (depending how K. Gordon pans out and the J. Johnson contract extension.)

3.64 Select Derick Hall
I think this is the steal of the draft. Hall is a perfect match for Flus. Height (over 6'3", weight over 250 lbs, speed, length and production. More importantly he has an immaculate football character. Leader, high motor, loves football...checks all the boxes. I definitely will not be surprised if the Bears take Hall earlier (with one of their 2nd round picks during the draft.)

3.74 Select Nick Herbig, LB
Herbig is listed as a DE/OLB but I'm thinking the Bears draft him as a back WILL LB. Even with TJ Edwards signed, there is a need for a strong backup and Herbig could develop nicely over his first two years. He will be a strong contributor on ST and in specific pass situations as well. Plus, it gives us three Badgers in the LB room with Edwards and Sanborn. He is a classic HITS kind of guy too who should fit the Flus culture. This was a BPA selection which builds depth on the defense.

4.103 Select Luke Schoonmaker
Another BPA selection which may seem like a luxury with Tonyan signed and Kmet hopefully headed for an extension but Tonyan is only a 1 year deal and, as we know, TEs take time to develop in the NFL.

4.115 Select DeWayne Mcbride, RB
This is a swing for the fences pick. Our RB room is already full with the 2 new FAs (Foreman and Homer) but the tape on McBride is kind of nuts if you haven't watched it. He is the classic low floor (fumbles, pass protection issues) High ceiling kind of player but what the hell, I believe the Bears need to take an RB in this class anyway so why not swing for the fences.

5.137 Bryce Ford-Wheaton
Another HR swing. This is your possibly Claypool replacement in a year or so. Incredible measurables. Won the combine. And, he does flash on tape from West Virgina. Six foot 4", 230+ lbs, sub 4.4 40 time. Jumped 41". Explosive. Fast. Big. But, needs development. Worth a shot in my mind.

5.149 Ricky Stromburg, C/G
Another developmental interior lineman in case Kramer, Carter, Eiselan don't pan out this year. Just got to keep the pipeline for Olineman coming to build depth and hopefully find the right guys.

7.219 Stetson Bennet, QB
Our QB three with mobility and a good arm. Knows pro style systems and can contribute on scout teams and in the off season work immediately. Likely headed for the practice squad but the guy's a competitor. You could do worse for your 3rd QB.

Summary

The first half of my draft is nearly all defense: 2 x DE, 1 x DT, 1 x LB (with the exception of Mauch OT/G/C.) Some might say we are missing that classic 3T but I believe with the drafting of Van Ness and the signing of Walker to go along with Justin Jones, we have three guys who can rotate into that position. Billings and Mazi Smith give us meaty run stoppers and hopefully Gibson and Robinson keep developing to contribute to the outside rotation along with Derik Hall, who I think can become a real contributor.

The back half of the draft is primarily offense: Developmental TE, RB, WR, QB, and IOL. This feels like the right approach given what we did this off season (2 x starting WR in Claypool and Moore, 2 new RBs, 1 new starting OL in Davis.) I also believe that in FA, the Bears will sign cap casualties or veterans to 1 year deals at OT and CB. Poles is just waiting to see who shakes loose between now and sometime this summer.
EricTighe
MVP

Made no trades.

9 Bryan Bresee DL | Clemson
I am concerned about the injuries. But his talent can't be denied. Banking on greatness here. Think he could play DE for us.

53 Adetomiwa Adebawore DT | Northwestern
No need to explain the man crush I have had on him for some time. Think he is better suited inside.

61 Eli Ricks CB | Alabama
Ex 5 star recruit who had his best year last year. People may be sleeping on him.

64 Blake Freeland OT | BYU
Almost identical to the guy we took in the 5th round last year. Maybe hit gold twice from the same state. Over 1600 snaps the last two years giving up 1 sack and 8 hurries. Best athlete at Tackle this year.

103 Zacch Pickens DL | South Carolina
Hearing the Bears are all over him so took him here.

133 Payne Durham TE | Purdue
We got two catching TE so I thought why not get a beast. Tough SOB who impressed at the senior bowl.

136 Jon Gaines IOL | UCLA
One hell of an athlete and not a bad blocker either. Needs more power.

148Michael Wilson WR | Stanford
He either payed everyone at the senior bowl to leave him alone or this kid has something special to him.

218 Viliami Fehoko EDGE | San Jose State
Took a shot on what could be a late bloomer. 12 sacks as a senior.

258 Jake Moody K | Michigan
We need a kicker who doesn't say no to a 35 yard FG and doesn't put us on pins needles everytime he kicks an extra point.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Trade down with Pittsburgh... #9 and #218 for Steelers #17 and #32 (Poles makes good on trade for Claypool) Used draft sim from PFF and earned an A+ for Bears first 5 picks.

#17- JSN
#32- Dawand Jones
#53- Adetomiwa Adebawore
#61- Andre Carter II
#64- Joe Tippman
#103- Tyjae Spears
#132- Jaylon Jones
#136- Jarrett Patterson
#148- DeMarcco Hellams
#258- Anfernee Orji
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
IE
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:24 am
I mean... that is absurdly great, IMO.

i'm OK with Jenk at RT backed by Borom to get these horses on D along with the Center.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

You guys are thinking that Keanu Benton is a 1T not a 3T?
xyt in the discord chats
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

D line heavy again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:39 am You guys are thinking that Keanu Benton is a 1T not a 3T?
Yeah.
Played both, but really seems a lot more of a 1.

PFF wrote:What’s his role: Versatile DT
Benton has split his time almost evenly between the A- (698 snaps) and B-gap (612) over the course of his career. He can easily fill the same role in the NFL.
TDN wrote:Keeanu Benton is one of the best run-stuffing nose tackles in college football and this draft class. One of the more impactful players on the Badgers’ defense, Benton is an unmovable force for interior offensive linemen to deal with. He’s a stout presence that holds up with a strong anchor at the point of attack and flashes the ability to reset the line of scrimmage.
Incredible raw power
Outstanding run-stuffing value
Pass-rush value remains limited

wulfy
MVP

download.png
No trades in this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:18 pm
crueltyabc wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:39 am You guys are thinking that Keanu Benton is a 1T not a 3T?
Yeah.

PFF wrote:What’s his role: Versatile DT
Benton has split his time almost evenly between the A- (698 snaps) and B-gap (612) over the course of his career. He can easily fill the same role in the NFL.
TDN wrote:Keeanu Benton is one of the best run-stuffing nose tackles in college football and this draft class. One of the more impactful players on the Badgers’ defense, Benton is an unmovable force for interior offensive linemen to deal with. He’s a stout presence that holds up with a strong anchor at the point of attack and flashes the ability to reset the line of scrimmage.
Incredible raw power
Outstanding run-stuffing value
Pass-rush value remains limited
Damn. There are like four guys who could play 3T in this draft.

Carter
Klancey
Bresee
AA

They have to draft one early
xyt in the discord chats
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:23 pm Damn. There are like four guys who could play 3T in this draft.

Carter
Klancey
Bresee
AA

And I don't like Carter or Bresee

Brooks, Dexter, Pickens are second tier guys. Not super excited.

Some people are into moving Keion White over. I'm squishy on that, since he has almost no inside experience.

I could live with Justin Jones/Walker sharing (run/pass) the position for a year, though, if they do really quality stuff at the other DL positions.
As Poles said, it's not all happening this year.

wulfy
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:56 pm
Brooks, Dexter, Pickens are second tier guys. Not super excited.
Value wise, I might like the Second Tier guys better than the First Tier guys. Short of Carter, none of the T1 guys have great tape or lack of fatal flaws.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Benton might be a rich man's Justin Jones and be able to rotate at both 1T and 3T.
But he also might not.

Adebawore can certainly play inside.
White is very much a projection because almost all of his snaps last year came at strongside DE (more or less a 6T based on Tech's defense). He's certainly strong enough, though.
Pickens and Redmond having meh production with all their physical gifts is concerning. (Pickens more so than Redmond, who played out of position as Oklahoma's nose — Pickens has no such excuse.)
I do like both Karl Brooks and Kobie Turner, but neither being invited to the Combine tells me what the majority of NFL teams think of them...and I only had them as rotational guys anyway, not difference-makers.
I also am pretty high on Chattanooga's Devonnsha Maxwell, and thought he did well at the Shrine Game, but again, no Combine, and for an FCS player that is a pretty significant red flag.

It's just not a great year for DTs.
KFFL refugee.

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Any fans of Mazi Smith or tuli tuipulotu?
xyt in the discord chats
wulfy
MVP

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:04 pm Any fans of Mazi Smith or tuli tuipulotu?
I like both ...
But I'm not sure either is a 3T.

Mazi played NT at 335 pounds at Michigan - he lines up in the C/G gap but stylisticly he plays like a 3T with a penetrating style vs absorbing two blockers. His game against Ohio State was the best of his career.
MLive.com wrote:“Mazi Smith played his best game that he has ever had,” Harbaugh said Sunday on a Big Ten championship preview conference call. “He had 61 snaps in the game. Four tackles, he was the person who had the best pass rush of anybody, pressure on the quarterback in this past game. The hardest he’s played, best he’s played, most he’s played.”

The former four-star recruit out of East Kentwood has played more than 50 snaps five times this season, but Saturday was the first time he eclipsed 60.

“Man, I was ready to go home, lay down,” Smith said Monday night on the “Inside Michigan Football” radio show. “I was hurting, but 61 snaps for a nose at my size, that’s where I want to be at. That’s why I always tell myself that. I want to be the type of player that the team can rely on to do stuff like that.”

Not only was Smith out there for 78% of snaps against an explosive Ohio State offense with a stout offensive line, but he was effective. Three of his four tackles were run stops of 3 or fewer yards, and he also generated a team-high three pressures on quarterback C.J. Stroud, according to Pro Football Focus.
One thing to keep in mind with him is that he has weapons charge from this past year:
Smith, 21, was sentenced Jan. 12 by Washtenaw County 15th District Court Judge Karen Valvo under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act, which means the incident will be wiped from is record if he successfully completes his probation and community service.

Smith originally faced a felony weapons charge for carrying a concealed weapon without a license during an October traffic stop by an Ann Arbor police officer. He pleaded down to a misdemeanor charge in December according to Washtenaw County court records.
Tuli is a DE (I think many of us looked at him being listed at 290 at Southern Cal and thought 3T - but he was 260 at the Combine). I'd be happy with him as a 2nd rounder - very productive in college.
Hoog
Player of the Month

So here is my draft trade 3 ways for y'all:

Trade with NE Pats- 14, 46, 2024 3rd for #9 abd 133

14. Myles Murphy, DE
46. Darnell Wright, OT
53. Tyler Kraft, TE
61. Joe Tippman, OC
64. Colby Wooden, DT/DE
103. Julius Brents, CB
136. Keondre Coburn, DT
148. Owen Pappoe, LB/S
218. Devonnsha Maxwell, DT
259. Lequinston Sharp, OG/OC

Trade with TB- 19, 50, 175, 2024 2nd for #9, 218, and 148

19. Broderick Jones, OT
50. John Michael Schmitz, OC
53. Will McDonald, DE
61. Keeanu Benton, DT
64. Jakorian Bennett, CB
103. Dante Stills, DT/DE
133. Tyjae Spears, RB
136. Lonnie Phelps, DE
175. Will Mallory, TE
259. Malik Cunningham, QB

Trade with Seattle- 20, 37, and 2024 2nd for #9, 136, and 218

20. Anton Harrison, OT
37. Adetomiwa Adebawore, DT
53. Derrick Hall, DE
61. Darnell Washington, TE
64. Zach Pickens, DT
103. YaYa Diaby, DE/DT
133. Ricky Stromberg, OC
148. Andre Jones, DE
259. Darrell Luter, CB
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:23 pm
Moriarty wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:18 pm

Yeah.

Carter
Klancey
Bresee
AA

I also like Jalen Redmond and Byron Young...but yeah...there's not a lot of them. I think Benton could though.

IDK if Van Ness qualifies, but some think he could.
Hoog
Player of the Month

wab wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:58 pm
crueltyabc wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:23 pm

Carter
Klancey
Bresee
AA

I also like Jalen Redmond and Byron Young...but yeah...there's not a lot of them. I think Benton could though.

Colby Wooden and Dante Stills are two hidden 3T guys that have over 700 snaps from B gap. Yes, both need to.put on a few LB's but the both played around 285 so no big deal. Late 2nd to late 3rd for both and you get the added bonus of slidding them outside too. I like both guys for our current scheme.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Hoog wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:29 pm
wab wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:58 pm

Colby Wooden and Dante Stills are two hidden 3T guys that have over 700 snaps from B gap. Yes, both need to.put on a few LB's but the both played around 285 so no big deal. Late 2nd to late 3rd for both and you get the added bonus of slidding them outside too. I like both guys for our current scheme.
I like Stills — plenty of hustle and the game is important to him, by all accounts I've read — but JMSO, he's a Day 3 rotational guy at best.

Wooden is interesting for sure. Not sure he can play at 290+, though. If he can, he's got a lot of promise.
KFFL refugee.

BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Hoog wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:07 pm
Trade with TB- 19, 50, 175, 2024 2nd for #9, 218, and 148

19. Broderick Jones, OT
50. John Michael Schmitz, OC
53. Will McDonald, DE
61. Keeanu Benton, DT
64. Jakorian Bennett, CB
103. Dante Stills, DT/DE
133. Tyjae Spears, RB
136. Lonnie Phelps, DE
175. Will Mallory, TE
259. Malik Cunningham, QB
All good, but really liked this one.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Middleguard
MVP

What do the mocking AIs indicate about the availability of Derius Davis on the Bears' final pick?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:29 pm What do the mocking AIs indicate about the availability of Derius Davis on the Bears' final pick?
"Likely, but definitely not certain" would be my take.

Things get more imprecise the further out you go.

Z Bear
MVP

He is ranked 200-250 on most of the sites, that definitely puts him in the 7th round to UDFA territory. Additionally, he is WR 20-30 depending on the site so there might not even be that many WRs drafted.
Hoog
Player of the Month

Moriarty wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:24 am PFN this time. However, their rankings are utterly laughable right now. I just completely ignored them and took whoever was still available at places I felt were realistic.

Not a big Van Ness guy but love the rest.