Bears sign QB PJ Walker

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I like this signing, but I'm just gonna keep pleading for some fatties on both sides of the ball
UOK
Site Admin

Sure, seems like a guy. Still should draft a QB with one of their late picks.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I was gonna joke about getting out Kirkland brand Justin Fields, but surprisingly pj doesn't ever really run.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:11 pm I was gonna joke about getting out Kirkland brand Justin Fields, but surprisingly pj doesn't ever really run.
Neither did Fields really until he got behind a Swiss cheese line. PJ isn't Fields fast but he's at least a Mahomes like athlete. I think he could move if needed, designed.

Been a PJ fan for a while. Wanted him after the XFL when it was clear Mitch wasn't the guy and wanted a lotto ticket.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

He's got an arm
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I would imagine semian is a goner now.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:40 pm I would imagine semian is a goner now.
I wouldn't bet on it; Walker's numbers suck.

3 year career:
  • 15 games (7 starts)
  • 228 attempts/131 completions (57.5%)
  • 1,461 yards (6.4 per attempt)
  • 5 TD
  • 11 INT
  • 63.9 passer rating
2022 (his best year):
  • 6 games (5 starts)
  • 106 attempts/63 completions (59.4%)
  • 731 yards (6.9 per attempt)
  • 3 TD
  • 3 INT
  • 78.0 rating
Last edited by HisRoyalSweetness on Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I think Poles is just rearranging the deck chairs to let us know he's still alive.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Is this an upgrade at backup QB? A 2 year, $5M deal is fine and the Bears can save almost $2m this year with a Trevor Simeon release.

Just not sure if this guy will bring the qb room more than Simeon.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

I think he gives us the ability to run the offense we are trying to run with Fields. Simeon doesn't appear to have the same skillset. I think there is a rule coming where teams will be able to add a QB (3 total) for a 54 man roster (i definitely could be wrong at that). If so, then we can still add someone else to make it even better. But, I like Walker.

I wish the NFL would purchase the USFL and XFL and make it to where backup QB's are on a roster and and all practice squad players or something. Walker is definitely an example of a guy who proved he could benefit from it. I think the kid playing for the DC Defenders is another one who will benefit possibly.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Simeon is terrible and overpaid so saving money makes it an upgrade in my eyes. If Fields goes down the team's fucked anyways.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:09 pm I like this signing, but I'm just gonna keep pleading for some fatties on both sides of the ball
He's got like 6 higher picks for fatties. I do kind of like idea/strategy of building the trenches through the draft & saving the dollars for the skill positions.

There are some extensions coming up that could eat most of Poles' remaining budget this year, if he front-loads them like he should. So Kmet needs to be paid, JJ probably as well. And then shouldn't he carry a good amount into the season so he can front load whoever of Mooney or Pool he wants to extend in-season?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

There goes Poles again, throwing around them nickels like they were manhole covers.

Skill set not at all like Fields, just what the Bears need at backup QB.
Last edited by Grizzled on Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

From Walker's Twitter:
Hard work beats Talent, When Talent don’t Work Hard‼️

https://twitter.com/pjwalker_5
Someone needs to put him in touch with Jalen Carter.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Great news this :clap:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

wab
Mod

Kinda like this signing. I think Trevor is more of a QB coach at this point.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

A passable backup who has played with DJ Moore in case JF gets hurt.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:44 am Kinda like this signing. I think Trevor is more of a QB coach at this point.
Greg Gabriel seems convinced they're going with 3 QBs, but I tend to think he's stuck in 1998.

Maybe NFL will come out with a emergency QB rule that basically requires 3 real QBs though.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

If you're going to have 3 QBs then the third should always be a young developmental prospect and if at the end of the year you're not convinced he's going to amount to anything then move on to the next one. There is zero point having two veteran back ups who you know have hit their ceiling. You might occasionally get lucky with a youngster.
UOK
Site Admin

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:30 am
wab wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:44 am Kinda like this signing. I think Trevor is more of a QB coach at this point.
Greg Gabriel seems convinced they're going with 3 QBs, but I tend to think he's stuck in 1998.

Maybe NFL will come out with a emergency QB rule that basically requires 3 real QBs though.
1. Gabriel is frustrating. Guy knows football and has some good ideas, but the league also left him behind 10-15 years ago and he's been reluctant to adapt his ideals. Plus he says a ton of stupid shit on twitter.

2. The NFL will almost certainly make an emergency quarterback roster exception at some point, but honestly it's such a rare necessity. The NFL shouldn't make have 3 game-ready quarterbacks a priority when they're already bending every rule and making new informal allowances to protect quarterbacks.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:36 am

2. The NFL will almost certainly make an emergency quarterback roster exception at some point, but honestly it's such a rare necessity. The NFL shouldn't make have 3 game-ready quarterbacks a priority when they're already bending every rule and making new informal allowances to protect quarterbacks.

I thought someone said somewhere that a new rule was under consideration(?)

Sure, it's rare that you get down to your 3rd QB. But it's also so pointlessly stupid for virtually every team to have a 3rd on the PS, but they can't come in if necessary. Instead, every time a starter goes down, you have to scare the piss out of the poor TE who played QB in HS 8 years ago and have them start taking snaps or practicing throws just in case another happens.

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:48 am
UOK wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:36 am

Sure, it's rare that you get down to your 3rd QB. But it's also so pointlessly stupid for virtually every team to have a 3rd on the PS, but they can't come in if necessary. Instead, every time a starter goes down, you have to scare the piss out of the poor TE who played QB in HS 8 years ago and have them start taking snaps or practicing throws just in case another happens.
I think it's gonna come down to a monetary negotiation. If a guy has to be ready that's gonna be a gameday check.. And NFLPA won't want to take away other spots on the 53 or 46 active (with PS elevations) to ensure NFL gets an emergency QB in every game.

So the only solution to me is to make a de-facto 54 man roster, but the 54th spot must be on a QB. The old school emergency QB rules apply unless you use him on the 46 active.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:54 am
Moriarty wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:48 am

I think it's gonna come down to a monetary negotiation. If a guy has to be ready that's gonna be a gameday check.. And NFLPA won't want to take away other spots on the 53 or 46 active (with PS elevations) to ensure NFL gets an emergency QB in every game.

So the only solution to me is to make a de-facto 54 man roster, but the 54th spot must be on a QB. The old school emergency QB rules apply unless you use him on the 46 active.

Why not just treat the 3rd QB like PS elevation rules? If they go into a game, it's an elevation to the roster, you get a minimum wage check for that week instead of your usual PS one, and then after the game you revert to the PS?

The only real distinction is dressing for games and traveling to road games. That's not that arduous, but let's say you negotiate into the next CBA that this special QB PS spot has a minimum salary of double the usual PS pay.

If you're a fringe QB, what's not to like about getting twice as much as before and a slightly higher chance to get into a game in exchange for 8 flights a year?

Hoog
Player of the Month

Very inconsistent QB, who will add excitement then shoot you in the foot. Jate his completion percentage, interception ratios, and the fact he's short. Does kind of fit what we are doing with Fields offensively though. Not my favorite signing. Kinda wanted Nick Mullins instead.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:07 am
The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:54 am

Why not just treat the 3rd QB like PS elevation rules? If they go into a game, it's an elevation to the roster, you get a minimum wage check for that week instead of your usual PS one, and then after the game you revert to the PS?

The only real distinction is dressing for games and traveling to road games. That's not that arduous, but let's say you negotiate into the next CBA that this special QB PS spot has a minimum salary of double the usual PS pay.

If you're a fringe QB, what's not to like about getting twice as much as before and a slightly higher chance to get into a game in exchange for 8 flights a year?
Well the issue with the current elevation rule is that it's limited how many times you can use it on a guy and protect him. So you'd presumably create a special QB only elevation that can be used all 18 weeks, but at that point it is a de facto 54 man anyways. Like, other than some injury protection stuff perhaps, their pay would be the same as a minimum rostered guy.

If the guy is dressing that's a gameday check. I know it's it much to put in pads and tights, but the union needs to draw hard lines like that.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Well there goes the 3 QB discussion (probably)

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I've been saying that for a while. They should expand the roster one spot with it being reserved for the 3rd QB. They can't suit up unless one of the first 2 can't. That way teams have a third guy who is with the team the whole year. Typically when you go to your second QB it's a big drop off. But when the second guy gets hurt and you go with a guy that hasn't been with the team at all all year, it's like falling into the Grand Canyon. Even with this rule, I don't think teams will win many games with the 3rd QB, but at least their offense MIGHT not look like a complete joke.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:46 pm Well there goes the 3 QB discussion (probably)

Draft pick IMHO

Cunningham is sushi raw but has some traits
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:27 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:46 pm Well there goes the 3 QB discussion (probably)

Draft pick IMHO

Cunningham is sushi raw but has some traits
I mean yea they'll have a third on the PS and a rookie makes sense, but prob not active roster.