Jalen Carter

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Reality can be a cruel beast when you are in the spotlight... The replies to this tweet are brutal and he may want to avoid social media until after the draft.

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
grendel2000
Journeyman

Hema2.0 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:45 pm All this talk about feelings has my estrogen levels soaring. If anybody wants to hold a candlelight vigil for this dude, count me out.
Can we cuddle?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Georgia head coach Kirby Smart called Carter "a generational talent" and defended his character following the pro day.

"He is a great young man," Smart told Burruss. "His teammates love him. When you look at the course of the year he had, he gets injured on the first play (of the season vs. Oregon). He fights back, he gets injured again with an MCL (against Missouri).

"He probably could have shut it down. He decided to come back and play really for his teammates. I think that says a lot about his character in terms of what his competitive character is like and what he wants to do on the field for his teammates."

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-draft ... ay-workout
Two injuries including an MCL? Not the end-of-the-world, but another possible cause for concern to add to the list.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

That's been one of the knocls on him, that he has all this ability but doesn't have the motor to engage on every play. This just reinforced that and that his head isn't in football right now, which would be normal with what he's put himself through.No way the Bears take him at #9.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Sunday, I voted yes. Not sure Poles still would after the poor pro day showing. Tape as player during the 22' Georgia season doesn't lie and still looks great... Poll was at 86% 3/13... What say you today?
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’d change my yes to a no for sure
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

I liked him in college and his talent is tantalizing but if he can’t care enough to prepare for the biggest interview of his life, I don’t know how you can trust him to put in the work to be great in the NFL.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:02 pm I’d change my yes to a no for sure
You and me
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Well this was the type of settlement I think he needed to restore his value, but he did plenty yesterday in hurting it at that pro day

Will be interesting to see if he gets Team 30 visits and if those leak
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:51 am Well this was the type of settlement I think he needed to restore his value, but he did plenty yesterday in hurting it at that pro day

And there you go. Folks...if Carter was some piece of shit person who was drunk, racing around like a mad man, caused the death of a friend, fled the scene and lied to the cops - which is how many people portrayed things with minimal information - this would NOT be the outcome of the case. It just wouldn't.

That said, he screwed himself mightily yesterday. I don't see how he recovers from that.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:59 am
The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:51 am Well this was the type of settlement I think he needed to restore his value, but he did plenty yesterday in hurting it at that pro day

And there you go. Folks...if Carter was some piece of shit person who was drunk, racing around like a mad man, caused the death of a friend, fled the scene and lied to the cops - which is how many people portrayed things with minimal information - this would NOT be the outcome of the case. It just wouldn't.
I think that's hopelessly naïve and/or biased.
Rich/famous/powerful people skate on things they shouldn't all the time.
College athletes often get strings pulled for them. Either willingly, or HC/AD talks to this politician, politician talks to this government employee, orders come down, type stuff.
Hell, even ordinary people without any kind of pull regularly get far less than they ought to on dangerous behavior with vehicles, because of this weird mentality that it's all "just a traffic offense, like a rolling stop when there's no one else at the intersection" instead of "wildly reckless behavior with 2 tons of steel at velocities that can pulp human bodies like Superman squeezing a rotten tomato".
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

True that people skate all the time, but I just don't think that's what's happening here and what I found egregious was the presumption of guilt that so many placed on him so quickly. Was he reckless driving? Sure. I was charged with reckless driving once when I was late for work and cut through a long line at a red light on the shoulder just as it turned green to get around a slowpoke. I've never raced a car or done anything I'd consider super dangerous, but that charge is there. The character assassination on him just seemed very unfair to me, and many folks (just go read the thread) cast him as a drunk driver who killed his friend and left him to die - NONE of that turned out to be true.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Wasn't in the initial tweet, but link to Athletic article.

https://theathletic.com/4316370/2023/03 ... ed-article

I don't know if most of the AJC report is under question. But the big item would be:
“Mr. Carter never left the scene of the accident without being told that he could leave,” Stephens wrote. “He stopped his car immediately after the accident occurred and ran toward the wrecked vehicle while his passenger called 911. Even after being informed that he could leave, Mr. Carter returned to the scene at the request of the Athens-Clarke County Police Department to answer additional questions and continued to cooperate throughout the investigation.”
Compared to AJC (via an ESPN article, since original reporting was behind paywall)
According to documents and recordings of 911 calls reviewed by the Journal-Constitution, at least two vehicles driven by Georgia football players had been at the scene, including the Jeep driven by Carter, who left the scene before police or emergency personnel arrived.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Two stories and I don't know which is true, but presumably a police report will back up one version of events.
BigDaddy
Practice Squad

Well, given we haven't signed any significant DT talent, we should keep as many options open as possible. He didn't get to the top of the heap by accident..(No pun intended)
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:52 am Two stories and I don't know which is true, but presumably a police report will back up one version of events.
It's always been rather telling that leaving the scene of an accident wasn't one of the charges — reckless driving and racing were. That does lend some credence to the story Carter's lawyer provides.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

If he was not the cause of the accident, then he could leave the scene. If he was directly involved in the accident and left, that would be leaving the scene.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

If I was looking for a "middle truth" where AJC wasn't flat out lying it's the 911 operator giving the okay to leave. But I'd imagine that would not be SOP. Not totally sure

(pure speculation here)
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:51 am True that people skate all the time, but I just don't think that's what's happening here and what I found egregious was the presumption of guilt that so many placed on him so quickly. Was he reckless driving? Sure. I was charged with reckless driving once when I was late for work and cut through a long line at a red light on the shoulder just as it turned green to get around a slowpoke. I've never raced a car or done anything I'd consider super dangerous, but that charge is there. The character assassination on him just seemed very unfair to me, and many folks (just go read the thread) cast him as a drunk driver who killed his friend and left him to die - NONE of that turned out to be true.
UOK edit: Let's just leave this be
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

Carter just had an awful Pro Day. He may drop even further.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I was a strong proponent of drafting him but no longer. I'll leave the criminality out, not enough public facts to really know what happened. Save and excepeting he goes on a strict program to whip himself into shape and convinces everyone that he'll play hard every play (not sure how he'd pull that off), I'm voting no. I'm going with Kancey if they take a 3T at 9.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Hema2.0 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:44 am
dplank wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:51 am True that people skate all the time, but I just don't think that's what's happening here and what I found egregious was the presumption of guilt that so many placed on him so quickly. Was he reckless driving? Sure. I was charged with reckless driving once when I was late for work and cut through a long line at a red light on the shoulder just as it turned green to get around a slowpoke. I've never raced a car or done anything I'd consider super dangerous, but that charge is there. The character assassination on him just seemed very unfair to me, and many folks (just go read the thread) cast him as a drunk driver who killed his friend and left him to die - NONE of that turned out to be true.
UOK edit: Let's just leave this be
Not sure where I went wrong, but whatever.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:31 pm I was a strong proponent of drafting him but no longer. I'll leave the criminality out, not enough public facts to really know what happened. Save and excepeting he goes on a strict program to whip himself into shape and convinces everyone that he'll play hard every play (not sure how he'd pull that off), I'm voting no. I'm going with Kancey if they take a 3T at 9.
Feels like there's enough facts for a team who wants to get good intel to get. You basically now have an attorney and a newspaper pub with some competing details that probably are in a police report and 911 recording. Joe Schmoe PI could probably get the info.

I'm not saying you'll be able to answer culpability (not legally speaking, but just generally), but the leaving the scene component for sure.

Anyways, he could still restore his value. But everything that's happened the past 2 months builds something of a case file. If you're the team who takes him I feel like you need a plan and a caretaker to help max your investment.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Shadow wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:09 pm Carter just had an awful Pro Day. He may drop even further.
I heard he looked really heavy and out of shape. He is killing his draft stock. Right now I'd be surprised if he goes in the top 20.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I can see a team like the Seahawks taking a long look, especially if Will Anderson is off the board at 5. They have a different tolerance and culture and might think they can get the best out of him. But they might just take Wilson from Texas Tech, much cleaner or, if they want Carter, try to trade down and still snag him.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:44 pm
Shadow wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:09 pm Carter just had an awful Pro Day. He may drop even further.
I heard he looked really heavy and out of shape. He is killing his draft stock. Right now I'd be surprised if he goes in the top 20.
I bet he doesn’t make it past the Eagles.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:59 am

That said, he screwed himself mightily yesterday. I don't see how he recovers from that.
Which is what you think on the Bob Kraft case too right? He got less of a penalty than Carter

OJ got less than this (for his criminal trial) too

Ray Lewis probably in this ballpark

Just curious where you think criminal cases are and aren't the end all be all?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

From nfl.com's report about Carter's plea deal:
"In entering his plea, Mr. Carter chose not to contest the charges lodged against him by the Athens-Clarke County Police Department in order to resolve this matter in the most efficient manner possible," Stephens stated, in part. "With entry of his plea, the State is forever barred from bringing any additional charges against Jalen Carter for conduct alleged to have occurred on January 15, 2023."
So essentially the legal situation is resolved, which removes one possible concern for teams.

Then there is this:
All 32 teams attended Carter's pro day, including Chicago Bears head coach Matt Eberflus and GM Ryan Poles. Poles said on Thursday the Bears, who currently hold the No. 9 overall pick in the draft, will bring Carter in for one of their pre-draft prospect visits.
Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/top-2023-nfl-d ... -driving-r
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:43 am I think that's hopelessly naïve and/or biased.
Rich/famous/powerful people skate on things they shouldn't all the time.
College athletes often get strings pulled for them. Either willingly, or HC/AD talks to this politician, politician talks to this government employee, orders come down, type stuff.
Ain't that the truth:

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Even after his horrible Pro Day, the Bears are flying him up for interviews. No word if pizza joints in town are going on high alert ....