RB’s in the draft

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I didn’t see this anywhere and I know it’s an afterthought draft wise but does anyone have any RB’s they like?

I kind of like the kid from Tulane, both in style, ability, and production. Spears. https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... jae-spears

4th round? Or will he be gone or is that too high?
karhu
Head Coach

It became a cliche around here for a while, but Chase Brown. I like balance and explosive power in a RB. Check and check.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Beyond Bijan, of course (who is the closest I've come to considering a Day 1 RB in ten years):

2) Zach Charbonnet, UCLA (little bit of dynamism in his game, tested better than I thought)
3) Tyjae Spears, Tulane (never gonna be a lead back but an explosive change of pace)
4) Chase Brown, Illinois (a little boom or bust for my liking, loads of potential tho)
5) Evan Hull, Northwestern (solid, steady, good speed and agility, needs more patience as a runner)

Zach Evans is dynamic as can be but I'm not sure he's worth the prima donna headache, and Jahmyr Gibbs is CMC redux but without the ability to occasionally break a tackle.

I like the look of Israel Abanikanda in games, will be interested to see how he times if he runs at Pitt's pro day.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
EricTighe
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:38 pm Beyond Bijan, of course (who is the closest I've come to considering a Day 1 RB in ten years):

2) Zach Charbonnet, UCLA (little bit of dynamism in his game, tested better than I thought)
3) Tyjae Spears, Tulane (never gonna be a lead back but an explosive change of pace)
4) Chase Brown, Illinois (a little boom or bust for my liking, loads of potential tho)
5) Evan Hull, Northwestern (solid, steady, good speed and agility, needs more patience as a runner)

Zach Evans is dynamic as can be but I'm not sure he's worth the prima donna headache, and Jahmyr Gibbs is CMC redux but without the ability to occasionally break a tackle.

I like the look of Israel Abanikanda in games, will be interested to see how he times if he runs at Pitt's pro day.
I actually had Taylor, Nahjee and Hall rated as high if not higher than Robinson.

I thought Charbonnet would run in the 4.4 range so was a little disappointed with his 40 time. Think he still will at his pro day.
Hull and Brown are very interesting prospects. Both were work horses in college so they can handle the load.

HUNTER LUEPKE FB NORTH DAKOTA STATE only heard of this name from listening to Colin on radio. He brought in old GM for Buccs who says this kid reminds him of Mike Alscott. Thats a hell of a comp. Said this kid is quick and refuses to go down with probably the biggest thighs he has ever seen. Bring this up since we love to run RB by committee. Match him up with Herbert and one of these guys above and we could have one hell of a backfield.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Running backs I like that are potential legitimate targets for the Bears:

1. Zach Charbonet
2. Tajae Spears
3. Sean Tucker
4. Kenny McIntosh -I really liked him in college but he ran a lot slower than I would have expected based on tape, so not sure what to think about that.
5. Roschon Johnson when I watched some Texas games for Robinson, I was like wow he’s really good too.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

IE
Hall of Famer

I like Brown, Spears and Evans.

I do like Charbonnet but think he's going to go earlier & don't want to invest that capital in a RB. Especially when this seems like Juice's year to prove he can be an Aaron Jones-like producer with enough opportunity, and I think he can.

I think they can hedge with a lower-round RB and be totally fine & maybe REALLY good in terms of finding a 1-2 punch.

My RB thinking is "Juice first" in '23 and get a firm answer on that... plus find the next Juice for next man up at the RB position.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'm a Deuce Vaughn fan but don't think he's what the team's looking for. Spears, Roshown Johnson, MacIntosh, Hull, maybe Brown.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I prefer Spears, Tucker and R Johnson. I think all 3 could end up feature/do all backs.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

IE wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:41 am
I do like Charbonnet but think he's going to go earlier & don't want to invest that capital in a RB. Especially when this seems like Juice's year to prove he can be an Aaron Jones-like producer with enough opportunity, and I think he can.
I agree with that logic, and it also possible he could be gone before Bears 2nd rd #53 and we have greater needs... PFF has him at # 61 on their big board and CBS has him all the way back to 107??

We do need another RB and I would not necessarily mind drafting one that early but rather it be #61 or #64. He will likely be gone by then but who knows.

Spears at R4 #103 too early?? Too late??
karhu
Head Coach

bearsoldier wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:46 pm
Spears at R4 #103 too early?? Too late??
For my money, that depends on whether we've already drafted at least three linemen. Spears is good, but good enough to make up for a shaky line, or to be much of an asset if our D-line lets other teams score on long drive after long drive.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Eric Gray reminds me of DMo which is either a good or bad thing.

DeWayne McBride has good vision and contact balance. He's very smooth and sorta glides around

Those highlights are mostly against crappy schools because vs good schools his oline got killed. Against LSU for example he is fighting off tacklers the second he gets the ball (which umm might be his experience as a Bear)
xyt in the discord chats
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Count me in for Spears
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

I love me DeWayne McBride. Yes, in Conf USA he wasn't going up against the best competitors but in those situations you just need to see him dominate...which he did. He led the NCAA in yards per game at nearly 155! 7.x yards per carry and 19 touchdowns. Can he catch? don't know, he was barely targeted.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

RichH55 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:50 pm Count me in for Spears
With the addition of Foreman, I think Poles will avoid taking RB until day 3... He would be a great pick at #103!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Why would there be any HB pick at this point?

Maybe R7, if you're totally out of options and really like someone for the PS.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
EricTighe
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:50 am Why would there be any HB pick at this point?

We have Foreman, Homer, and Herbert and who else? Gonna move Jones to 3rd down back?

We have basically 3 backup RB's that are all nice but nothing special.

With the way we run we need to draft a RB every year.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

For load sharing:

Last year's RBs tallied
Montgomery - 201
Herbert - 129
Ebner - 24
Evans - 14
368 carries

The top 3 backs now on the roster had
Herbert - 129
Foreman - 203
Homer -19
351 carries

And I'm pretty sure they envisioned a bigger role for Homer when they gave him 2.25M

Herbert was the best rushing RB in all of football in 2022
Foreman had a breakout year with 200+ carries with a 4.5 ypc
I'd say they have 2 starters and arguably a better HB group than last year, when they were the best in the NFL

The one thing I'll grant is that they could keep 4. But that's a luxury and not very necessary. Last year they only had 3 on the roster (with Evans on PS) for more than half the season (until Ebner crapped the bed in week 11 and they elevated Evans).

EricTighe
MVP

Herbert was rated the best RB last year by PFF. That doesn't mean he was the best rushing RB. But I get the point.

Still want https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Zac ... B-Michigan
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:50 pm For load sharing:

Last year's RBs tallied
Montgomery - 201
Herbert - 129
Ebner - 24
Evans - 14
368 carries

The top 3 backs now on the roster had
Herbert - 129
Foreman - 203
Homer -19
351 carries

And I'm pretty sure they envisioned a bigger role for Homer when they gave him 2.25M

Herbert was the best rushing RB in all of football in 2022
Foreman had a breakout year with 200+ carries with a 4.5 ypc
I'd say they have 2 starters and arguably a better HB group than last year, when they were the best in the NFL

The one thing I'll grant is that they could keep 4. But that's a luxury and not very necessary. Last year they only had 3 on the roster (with Evans on PS) for more than half the season (until Ebner crapped the bed in week 11 and they elevated Evans).
Yeah, I'm kind of in the same place — they might look to draft a guy who has ST value as a returner (and/or, like Homer, coverage units), but the odds of them investing much draft capital in, say, a Charbonnet or a Hull or a Brown this year are substantially diminished.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Moriarty wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:50 am Why would there be any HB pick at this point?

Disagree... Homer is a ST player primarily, Ebner is PS at best, Evans should be gone after TC if not sooner. We need a 3rd RB and Spears would be a nice 4th rd. pick.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:07 pm Herbert was rated the best RB last year by PFF. That doesn't mean he was the best rushing RB. But I get the point.

Still want https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Zac ... B-Michigan
I hear it, I drafted him probably 20 times in the Sim thread.

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

bearsoldier wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:43 pm

Disagree... Homer is a ST player primarily, Ebner is PS at best, Evans should be gone after TC if not sooner. We need a 3rd RB and Spears would be a nice 4th rd. pick.
Homer can also be used as a 3rd down back. There’s literally a highlight reel of him just blocking people going around.

I agree on Ebner, he didn’t impress when he got an opportunity. Also, Forman is only on a one year deal,
and Herbert is going into year of four.

Poles obviously doesn’t believe RB is a position you should pay for, so if there’s value in day 3 it shouldn’t be a surprise if they grab one.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:57 pm]

Homer can also be used as a 3rd down back. There’s literally a highlight reel of him just blocking people going around.
Yes, agree and it's good to have him and he has looked good in those highlights...

Homer seems to be a good FA pick up for the backfield and ST depth... I also agree we do not need to go RB until day 3 and if Spears is there at #103, I really hope Poles pulls the trigger.
wab
Mod

bearsoldier wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:43 pm

Evan’s is already gone. And I think you are going to see Homer more than you think.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

wab wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:49 pm
Evan’s is already gone. And I think you are going to see Homer more than you think.
Thanks, I now realize he was only on a 1yr. deal...
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I don’t see them taking one now with the signings.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Absolutely no HB on our roster (and I like Herbert - liked the Foreman signing, etc) says You cant Draft a HB - especially when we are talking 3rd Round.

Heck - if we drafted Spears in the 3rd AND Chase Brown in the 5th - Totally fine with that
karhu
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:29 pm

Absolutely no HB on our roster (and I like Herbert - liked the Foreman signing, etc) says You cant Draft a HB - especially when we are talking 3rd Round.

Heck - if we drafted Spears in the 3rd AND Chase Brown in the 5th - Totally fine with that
Problem is, you can say that about every position on the team except WR1 and MLB...and those guys haven't played a down for us yet. Just because something's true doesn't mean it's important.