Bears to sign LB Tremaine Edmunds to 4yr, $72m deal

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:43 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:28 pm Eh, last year a lot of patience was heaped and the end result never really changed.

Something may change the course of the offseason dramatically, but there's enough to have legit complaints about, even if you don't expect perfection.
Last year - people of my ilk - were saying it was a two year process (min) and that the 2022 FA crop was really bad (AND IT WAS!) (Lots of handringing about no Bates or Alex Cappa or Morgan Moses I guess?)

There was a level of group think on D.Jones (DL that went to Seattle) - and I was certainly guilty of it

Its also - ummmm - odd to throw dirt on the offseason when FA isn't over AND THE DRAFT HASNT HAPPENED

The one where we have a Top 10 pick, 2 2nds, high 3rd and 2 4ths

We already added 2 WR *(counting Claypool in that calculation) - Starting Guard, 2 at least rotational DL, and redid the whole LB corps (and secondary I'd argue was already in a good place)
Well if it was a two year process the expectation was to substantively fill all the holes with something of value. That may happen or may not. But at current pace I'd lean towards not. So it can change. But many praised patience last year til the end before admitting the tank.

Sounda like Poles tried to temper some expectations today. Maybe he really views it as a 3 year build. Or he's gonna be a Ballard and aletgic to risk and a slave to process. Time will tell.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:50 pm
RichH55 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:43 pm

Last year - people of my ilk - were saying it was a two year process (min) and that the 2022 FA crop was really bad (AND IT WAS!) (Lots of handringing about no Bates or Alex Cappa or Morgan Moses I guess?)

There was a level of group think on D.Jones (DL that went to Seattle) - and I was certainly guilty of it

Its also - ummmm - odd to throw dirt on the offseason when FA isn't over AND THE DRAFT HASNT HAPPENED

The one where we have a Top 10 pick, 2 2nds, high 3rd and 2 4ths

We already added 2 WR *(counting Claypool in that calculation) - Starting Guard, 2 at least rotational DL, and redid the whole LB corps (and secondary I'd argue was already in a good place)
Well if it was a two year process the expectation was to substantively fill all the holes with something of value. That may happen or may not. But at current pace I'd lean towards not. So it can change. But many praised patience last year til the end before admitting the tank.

Sounda like Poles tried to temper some expectations today. Maybe he really views it as a 3 year build. Or he's gonna be a Ballard and aletgic to risk and a slave to process. Time will tell.
I felt like I preached both? I saw it as a two year process and losing in 2022 was part of it

DL will still need work is my strong guess - but there shouldnt be very many holes left until we get to apologism season where anything less than 5 Trent Williams is unconscionable and garbage
EricTighe
MVP

I LOVE THIS SIGNING.

The way, we use the 4-3 the off-linebacker is just as important as the pass-rushing DT. At least statistically it is proven.

Think about it Shaq Leonard played that position when Eub was there. Edmunds is bigger, faster, and way more talented. Dude! He is going to get some defensive MVP votes this year.

With TJ calling plays and in the middle. Going to be hard to run on those guys.

LOVE IT.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:23 am I LOVE THIS SIGNING.
You'll enjoy this picture then. :)

"The Chicago Bears are known for their linebackers, and I want to be able to write my story and be that next great linebacker here."
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Sharp looking suit
IE
Hall of Famer

The way, we use the 4-3 the off-linebacker is just as important as the pass-rushing DT. At least statistically it is proven.

Think about it Shaq Leonard played that position when Eub was there. Edmunds is bigger, faster, and way more talented. Dude! He is going to get some defensive MVP votes this year.

LOVE IT.
Flip those posiitons. Edmunds = Urlacher. Edmunds even refers to himself as a MLB and is the best cover LB in the league. I'll be shocked if he does't play that role in Chicago. TJ isn't a sideline-to-sideline LB either. He's a tackling machine built for the T2 WILL role.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
EricTighe
MVP

IE wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:23 am

LOVE IT.
Flip those posiitons. Edmunds = Urlacher. Edmunds even refers to himself as a MLB and is the best cover LB in the league. I'll be shocked if he does't play that role in Chicago. TJ isn't a sideline-to-sideline LB either. He's a tackling machine built for the T2 WILL role.
I am not sure how that works. According to history you have thumpers at MLB in Cover 2. The WIll is the athletic freak. Brooks and Leonard both played WIll in their defenses. Urlacher and Briggs were the exception,s not the rule.

I could care less who plays where as long as they have the same type of effect that Urlacher and Briggs had it is a win-win.

I think they will have that type of success.
IE
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:38 pm
IE wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:23 am

I am not sure how that works. According to history you have thumpers at MLB in Cover 2. The WIll is the athletic freak. Brooks and Leonard both played WIll in their defenses. Urlacher and Briggs were the exception,s not the rule.

I could care less who plays where as long as they have the same type of effect that Urlacher and Briggs had it is a win-win.

I think they will have that type of success.
Yeah understand the Chicago version of the T2 was unique because of what Urlacher can do. Since Edmunds is similar in size and range, and especially because he's absolutely elite in coverage but not so much in run support, I am assuming the highly productive and more well rounded Edwards will end up at Will. It would be putting them both where their skill set is strongest.

But yeah agreed I don't really care - I'm just super happy to get two top performing defenders no matter where they are. Huge upgrade from last year, and IMO that includes replacment of Roquan who seemed to aggravate people by being a star some games and then appear to be a liability in others. Going from probably the worst LB corps to one of the best is a huge thing. Just huge.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

Edmunds has a similar reputation - rock star one game and MIA another. He’s such a physical freak tho, Roquan is not. I think Edmunds is at least as good, maybe a tick better than Roquan in this system. Then you add in Edwards? Yea, out LB corps is looking good.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:12 pm Edmunds has a similar reputation - rock star one game and MIA another. He’s such a physical freak tho, Roquan is not. I think Edmunds is at least as good, maybe a tick better than Roquan in this system. Then you add in Edwards? Yea, out LB corps is looking good.
If he's not more than a Tick better than Roquon was in this system last year - it's going to be a disappointing

Granted Roquon missed training camp and was a bit heavy on his return - so probably Roquon this year would look better than Roquon last year in the same system

But a tick better? Bias showing
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I think the Roquon v. Edmunds thing will ultimately play out like AJ Green v. Julio Jones (though without the HOF careers IMHO)

Jones was the more talented of the two - but Green was better the 1st like 3 years of their careers (a decent chunk of time) - but then when it all clicked for Jones he was just on a different tier than Green

Some wishful thinking? Maybe

Though neither Jones or Green ever got blocked by a QB either