Whitehair starting C for 2023 Bears?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

This offseason has been such a journey through a wormhole for me.

I mean seriously we had like $100M and we blow most of it on LBs which was answering a question nobody asked.

Then our lines, especially DL, are left bare.

How hard would it have been to cut Whitehair and sign a real center that would be effectively cap neutral?

But we don't do that.

Now we are out of the FA wormhole approaching the Zeta Reticuli of The Draft and there's no way Poles can plug the holes.

Cause Bears.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:44 pm
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:40 pm Jones-Leatherwood-Whitehair-Rookie/Jenkins-Rookie/Jenkins???
No Davis? Can’t imagine they’d give him all that money to not start at RG…
If Whitehair to C is true, Davis seems like he's the odd man out. Don't think he was especially competent at G. Keep him for depth or release him June 1 if they draft some talent.
Leatherwood is probably best fit for G and wanted to play the left side but Whitehair was the established starter at LG.
I'm only guessing. I have no idea what Poles and Coaches are thinking about the line.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
duckherd50
Player of the Month

I dont think Leatherwood is in the plans. I may be wrong. But, I would have thought he would have played more last season if he was. I also believe Whitehair is more of a luxury than the plan at this point. We know he can play and we do not know who we get in the draft yet. Plans for him may change after the draft.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:34 pm Personally, I’d cut him
I think it really depends on the confidence level coaches have of the Center prospect we should certainly be planning to pick in the draft.

If the following numbers are accurate, cutting him before the draft does not make sense. He has the 2nd largest cap hit if we keep him, and he is considered a potential cut according to the media.

2023 cap hit if Bears keep him= $14.1M

2023 dead money should they cut him= $8.3M before 6/1 and $4.2M after 6/1

2023 cap savings if Bears cut him= $5.8M before 6/1, and $9.9M after 6/1
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
wab
Mod

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:30 am

If Whitehair to C is true, Davis seems like he's the odd man out. Don't think he was especially competent at G. Keep him for depth or release him June 1 if they draft some talent.
Leatherwood is probably best fit for G and wanted to play the left side but Whitehair was the established starter at LG.
I'm only guessing. I have no idea what Poles and Coaches are thinking about the line.
So the guy they just gave 23 million dollars to 4 days ago…is the odd man out?
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:30 am

Just hit me...I was confusing Davis and Patrick in my head for some dumb reason.
I've met with 15 potential customers this week giving out quotes and names are blending together.

So my updated O line is Jones-Leatherwood-Whitehair-Davis-Jenkins/Rookie
(Davis has played every snap of his career at right guard)
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Fwiw, in his presser, Davis says he'll play any side or wherever coaches want him to. PC speak and all that. But maybe they would move him to LG. Just seems unusual to take a guy who has spent his entire pro and college career on one side and move him.

But every player has some varying degree of adaptability in changing sides and their comfort and ability.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

duckherd50 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:36 am I dont think Leatherwood is in the plans. I may be wrong. But, I would have thought he would have played more last season if he was. I also believe Whitehair is more of a luxury than the plan at this point. We know he can play and we do not know who we get in the draft yet. Plans for him may change after the draft.
What about Borom?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

EricTighe
MVP

Who knows maybe Leatherwood is our RT. If he is serviceable then our O-line which miraculously was ranked 16th last year, is way better than last year.

If Whitehair has solved his shotgun snapping issues, he is definitely an up grade over Patrick and Sam.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

They are going to draft 2-3 quality OL and let the line shake out in TC. We'll find out how much "want-to" Jenkins' has. We'll find out if Leatherwood still has anything useful, and we'll find out if Carter is as promising as they say he is. What is certain is that Dieter Eiselen will take over the C position and not give it up. His rise to the HOF has begun. We are all witness.
EricTighe
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:46 am They are going to draft 2-3 quality OL and let the line shake out in TC. We'll find out how much "want-to" Jenkins' has. We'll find out if Leatherwood still has anything useful, and we'll find out if Carter is as promising as they say he is. What is certain is that Dieter Eiselen will take over the C position and not give it up. His rise to the HOF has begun. We are all witness.
Now that's funny.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

There is zero chance that Nate Davis is the odd man out. He is one of the good Gs in the league, while not flashy, and was brought here and signed to start. I don't think Leatherwood is being penciled in for anything, I think he is here to compete in camp and try to stick. They started him, and then pulled him after 2(?) games last year. If he was some major part of the plans I think he'd have continued playing. I don't know about Whitehair to C, but it's worth a shot, but he could be released if Patrick is healthy and shows up in camp at C.

Jones - Davis - Whitehair/Patrick - Jenkins - FA value signing or draft pick
This is what I am anticipating.

Could also be Jones - Whitehair - Patrick - Davis - Jenkins
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:46 am They are going to draft 2-3 quality OL and let the line shake out in TC. We'll find out how much "want-to" Jenkins' has. We'll find out if Leatherwood still has anything useful, and we'll find out if Carter is as promising as they say he is. What is certain is that Dieter Eiselen will take over the C position and not give it up. His rise to the HOF has begun. We are all witness.
I love it that you’ve been in Dieter’s corner for years. We all have those obscure players we just latch onto.
EricTighe
MVP

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:03 am There is zero chance that Nate Davis is the odd man out. He is one of the good Gs in the league, while not flashy, and was brought here and signed to start. I don't think Leatherwood is being penciled in for anything, I think he is here to compete in camp and try to stick. They started him, and then pulled him after 2(?) games last year. If he was some major part of the plans I think he'd have continued playing. I don't know about Whitehair to C, but it's worth a shot, but he could be released if Patrick is healthy and shows up in camp at C.

Jones - Davis - Whitehair/Patrick - Jenkins - FA value signing or draft pick
This is what I am anticipating.

Could also be Jones - Whitehair - Patrick - Davis - Jenkins
With you same argument against Leatherwood. I don't see us ever moving Jenkins back to RT.

There is one other possibility. Jenkins could be done. Due to his back issues.

Even if he is done we should be OK inside. We really need a RT.
wab
Mod

I'll keep saying it, I just don't think they like Jenkins.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:21 am Fwiw, in his presser, Davis says he'll play any side or wherever coaches want him to. PC speak and all that. But maybe they would move him to LG. Just seems unusual to take a guy who has spent his entire pro and college career on one side and move him.

But every player has some varying degree of adaptability in changing sides and their comfort and ability.
I agree with this, but it kind of ticks me off thinking about how Teven has been thrown around all over the field. Davis got to play one position and master it. Jones gets put at LT and despite some growing pains gets to stay there and no one wants to move him. But Teven has been bounced from LT to RT to RG and now to LG, all because we don't want to disrupt Jones or Davis. Teven settled in nicely at RG and looks like a future pro bowler at that spot to me. Davis has a lot more experience and I suspect would handle a switch from RG to LG easier than Teven would. Basically, I guess I'm asking why is it no good to move Davis to LG but it's ok to move Teven to LG?

It's a fairly minor thing heading into this year, but worth noting IMO that if we think it's important to let a player settle into his position and learn it, then we should give Teven that same opportunity (or at least note in his performance assessment that he hasn't been given that opportunity)
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:52 pm
wab wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:39 pm
Where does the faith in Jenkins come from? Sure he was a beast here and there when healthy and not in the doghouse.

Doesn’t it say something about Jenkins that they signed a guy who’s been a RG since college?
My faith in Jenkins comes from the tape that says future pro bowler all over it after having not played the position at all as a pro until late in TC. He was our best OL guy last year. I don't know anyone who disputes that. Moving him to the position where he failed last year just seems mind bogglingly stupid to me.

As I said before, we can't pass judgement until we see the end result. But I just don't get why moving him to OT would be on the table.
You kind of answered your own doubt here. He was so good at RG, obviously our best lineman, at a position he'd never played until late training camp. Thing is, he was even more dominant in college at RT, the position he's most familiar with. As the most dominant lineman, he's accomplished at the one position that we most need, the one position we don't have a fill for. Stop and think for a moment, that maybe, just maybe, his initial struggles at RT were because of the shape he came in at and his injury concerns.

To me, he has obviously kept up on his Pilates this offseason. Some of you may doubt, but I can speak from 20 years of personal experience that that workout will drastically help his back issues, maybe even alleviate them altogether as it has me for the past 20 years. And it certainly appears that he's in shape and lost weight. That should also increase his speed allowing him to play the one position he's most accomplished at and that we most need.

That's my take and I'm sticking to it. ;)
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:41 am
The Cooler King wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:21 am Fwiw, in his presser, Davis says he'll play any side or wherever coaches want him to. PC speak and all that. But maybe they would move him to LG. Just seems unusual to take a guy who has spent his entire pro and college career on one side and move him.

I agree with this, but it kind of ticks me off thinking about how Teven has been thrown around all over the field. Davis got to play one position and master it. Jones gets put at LT and despite some growing pains gets to stay there and no one wants to move him. But Teven has been bounced from LT to RT to RG and now to LG, all because we don't want to disrupt Jones or Davis. Teven settled in nicely at RG and looks like a future pro bowler at that spot to me. Davis has a lot more experience and I suspect would handle a switch from RG to LG easier than Teven would. Basically, I guess I'm asking why is it no good to move Davis to LG but it's ok to move Teven to LG?

It's a fairly minor thing heading into this year, but worth noting IMO that if we think it's important to let a player settle into his position and learn it, then we should give Teven that same opportunity (or at least note in his performance assessment that he hasn't been given that opportunity)
And sometimes I think a lot of it is mindset. Some guys are gonna think really hard about the changes. Some other guys are gonna think, "it's still just blocking"

Anyways I'm gonna continue to prepare myself for a Jenkins future that's not in Chicago. If he stays and continues to excel I can be pleasently surprised.
EricTighe
MVP

dplank wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:41 am

Not saying with any certainty except I have a bad back as well.

Maybe all of this is due to his back and nothing else. When healthy he is a bonafide starter. Health could be the main issue, hell it could be the only issue.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:27 am
duckherd50 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:36 am I dont think Leatherwood is in the plans. I may be wrong. But, I would have thought he would have played more last season if he was. I also believe Whitehair is more of a luxury than the plan at this point. We know he can play and we do not know who we get in the draft yet. Plans for him may change after the draft.
What about Borom?
He will probably make the team I'd guess
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

duckherd50 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:08 am
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:27 am

What about Borom?
He will probably make the team I'd guess
Think I saw Gabriel tweet Borom prob won't make team, fwiw.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:11 am
duckherd50 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:08 am He will probably make the team I'd guess
Who is Gabriel?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

In fairness to Leatherwood, last season, he had and was recovering from Mono. That's a pretty long term, debilitating illness. I know of only one person who had it, and he had to leave college for an entire semester. He struggled to do anything.
EricTighe wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:07 am Not saying with any certainty except I have a bad back as well.

Maybe all of this is due to his back and nothing else. When healthy he is a bonafide starter. Health could be the main issue, hell it could be the only issue.
If you have a bad back, I STRONGLY suggest Pilates. I've suggested it to DP as well. Don't know if he's taken me up on it yet. The one thing I can say is, what do you have to lose. From my personal experience, I haven't even had a tinge of a problem in my chronic bad back since I started Pilates twenty years ago.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

duckherd50 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:55 am

Who is Gabriel?
Greg Gabriel. Former Bears scout (director or something too) and local "Old man yells at cloud" resident on Bears Twitter.
IE
Hall of Famer

duckherd50 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:08 am He will probably make the team I'd guess
Sure it wasn't from last year? That as last year's story.

As it turns out, they came to like Borom. I'm still believing he's the swing T at least, and may (sorry folks) end up starting again on the right next to Jenk. Even if they draft a RT it can take a bit for a pick to come in.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:15 am I'll keep saying it, I just don't think they like Jenkins.
There's certainly smoke around that conclusion.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:48 pm

Sure it wasn't from last year? That as last year's story.

As it turns out, they came to like Borom. I'm still believing he's the swing T at least, and may (sorry folks) end up starting again on the right next to Jenk. Even if they draft a RT it can take a bit for a pick to come in.
Nah it was just the other day.

But again, he definitely has connections, but is still frequently wrong lol. Never know when he's just blubbering to sound important or passing along real Intel.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:54 pm
wab wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:15 am I'll keep saying it, I just don't think they like Jenkins.
There's certainly smoke around that conclusion.
It sure seems that way and I just don't get it. It's about winning and you win with good players that play hard and when he's on the field he seems to check both of those off. Maybe it's the injury deal and they don't have faith in him long term. It seems like there were some reports that some teams took them off their board due to his back (I could be mistaken about that, but at least they moved him way down their board). Like it or not, Poles gets a plan, set his limits and sticks to it and appears not to waiver. Maybe in KC they decided his back was too much of an issue to go forward with him and he brought that mentality with him. That's the only thing that I can come up with that gives a somewhat rational explanation for this perceived dislike.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

He's had back surgery and a scary neck injury on the field. That's the situation and if I were Poles I'd be hedging my bets on Tevin for that reason alone.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:57 am

In fairness to Leatherwood, last season, he had and was recovering from Mono. That's a pretty long term, debilitating illness. I know of only one person who had it, and he had to leave college for an entire semester. He struggled to do anything.

That's my thought on him as well. The Rayders WAAAYYY over drafted the guy but he clearly has talent. Hopefully he has his power back, is healthy and we can get him to turn the corner.