9th Pick

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:22 am
UOK wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:46 am Broderick Jones is my sleeper for the 9th pick, but Paris Johnson wouldn't surprise me either. Jones feels more like the pick, as he's arguably the most athletic and versatile lineman of the bunch.
Broderick Jones is my hope for the #9 pick, if they grab him I will be very happy. Paris Johnson is my #2 and i'd also be very happy, but not to quiet the same extent as Jones.
I'll go off the board a bit

I would love a trade down from #9 - say go back to #20? Pick D. Jones the monster RT from Ohio State
EricTighe
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:33 am

Broderick Jones is my hope for the #9 pick, if they grab him I will be very happy. Paris Johnson is my #2 and i'd also be very happy, but not to quiet the same extent as Jones.

I would love a trade down from #9 - say go back to #20? Pick D. Jones the monster RT from Ohio State
I would as well. But the fact that Poles came out and said Orlando Brown is not a good scheme fit I believe we can take him off the board. :(
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:34 am I’m 100% convinced we’re going edge rusher at 9. I don’t see Poles taking a guy that will end up playing RT for us 9th overall..Not that I don’t love Paris Johnson, I just think Poles thinks he can find a RT later. With that said, what are your thoughts on the guys below assuming a trade back isn’t an option.

Will Anderson- I just don’t see it…but if he drops to 6 I wouldn’t hate a small trade up

Tyree Wilson- Most think he’s gone, but after a couple mocks, I see a way he might make it to 9

Myles Murphy- I love the kid until I look at all the Clemson pass rusher that haven’t panned out. Is that fair to hold it against him?

Lukas Van Ness- I have a strange feeling that he’s the guy Poles wants. High motor, high traits, HIGH ceiling

Nolan Smith- I love this kid…most say he can’t play 4-3 end, I disagree. Plenty of his snaps came with his hand in the dirt. Also, he’s got the frame to add 10lbs….

My prediction…one of these 5 end up a Bear. Thoughts?
I agree Poles won't take a RT at #9.
shou
Anderson and Smith: I see them as natural 3-4 OLBs. Considering how true Poles is to scheme, I don't see him trading up for Anderson or taking Smith. Love Tyree. He is perfect, but I don't think there's any way he lasts to #9.

Myles Murphy: Absolutely love him too. And no, it's not fair to hold his college against him. I NEVER do that. That's part of the rationale that saw Fields fall. Just stupid IMHO. I'd take him at #9, but a lot of mocks I see have him going before us.

If Murphy and Tyree are both gone, I see a trade down. One I think would work would be with the Steelers. We trade #9 and #64 for #17 and #31. Just ran that on NFLMOCKDATABASE. Both Murphy and Tyree were gone by #9. The Steeler trade was accepted. Unfortunately, both Van Ness and Broderick Jones were chosen just before #17. Thing is, Bryce Young was also available. That's not gonna happen. One of those two should be available. And I believe Poles would take a RT at #17. Or Van Ness for that matter.

On a side note, Jalen Carter and Bryan Bresee were also available. Do you take one of those two? Not a big Carter fan myself, but at #17, even I would consider him.

Just some thoughts showing how flexible we still are at #9.

Another thought, one of the reasons I looked at the Steelers was because I think Poles really wants an early second. I think he really wants Adetomiwa Adebawore as our 3T. If he can't trade down from #9, I see him trading up in the second with one of our seconds and our third for him.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Today I have them ranked

Will Anderson
Tyree Wilson
Paris Johnson
Christian Gonzalez
Miles Murphy
xyt in the discord chats
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I’m putting my damn foot in the ground and demand that Poles draft Myles Murphy.

I’m so bewildered about FA. I don’t know how we go into the off-season needing like 2 guys for the OL and seriously 4 guys for the DL but then get 2 LBs.

This is a Twilight Zone episode to me.

The trade down I thought went well. 9 was further than I wanted to drop, but then the offset of Moore and the picks was great.

Like how does the same guy who does that then do this in FA?

Edit:

OK if we are ranking picks:

Murphy then Bijan Robinson and then I get the Super Duper Offense.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Is anybody else getting like a Super Market Sweep vibe from Poles’ FA “strategy”? Like no real strategy just grab some shit and throw it in a cart?
cblaz11
MVP

Z Bear wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:04 am I see the draft going like this

1) CAR: CJ Stroud
2) HOU: Bryce Young
3) ARZ: Will Anderson, Jr
4) IND: Anthony Richardson
5) SEA: Tyree Wilson (Seattle only has 2 DEs on the roster currently)
6) DET: Christian Gonzalez
7) LVG: Paris Johnson
8) ATL: Jordan Addison

That makes your options Jalen Carter, Myles Murphy, Broderick Jones, or Van Ness; probably in that order.
I think I agree with your top 5….but don’t be shocked if Seattle reaches on Carter.

Didnt the Lions invest heavily at CB?
cblaz11
MVP

There s absolutely no way this happens. Zero…zilch..but you did say you were going off the board.

As far as scheme fit, my 9 year old niece is a better scheme fit at RT then Jones and the Bears lol

Also, just don’t see Poles going OT in the first.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:33 pm Is anybody else getting like a Super Market Sweep vibe from Poles’ FA “strategy”? Like no real strategy just grab some shit and throw it in a cart?
No, if that was the case he would have gotten a few more things.

He's shopping like he's got an ebt card, a strict keto diet to follow, and is at whole foods. There's just stuff he won't even look at.

If you love the keto diet (aka really big fan of process) you're a pretty happy fan right now.
cblaz11
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:48 pm
cblaz11 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:34 am I’m 100% convinced we’re going edge rusher at 9. I don’t see Poles taking a guy that will end up playing RT for us 9th overall..Not that I don’t love Paris Johnson, I just think Poles thinks he can find a RT later. With that said, what are your thoughts on the guys below assuming a trade back isn’t an option.

Will Anderson- I just don’t see it…but if he drops to 6 I wouldn’t hate a small trade up

Tyree Wilson- Most think he’s gone, but after a couple mocks, I see a way he might make it to 9

Myles Murphy- I love the kid until I look at all the Clemson pass rusher that haven’t panned out. Is that fair to hold it against him?

Lukas Van Ness- I have a strange feeling that he’s the guy Poles wants. High motor, high traits, HIGH ceiling

Nolan Smith- I love this kid…most say he can’t play 4-3 end, I disagree. Plenty of his snaps came with his hand in the dirt. Also, he’s got the frame to add 10lbs….

My prediction…one of these 5 end up a Bear. Thoughts?
shou
Anderson and Smith: I see them as natural 3-4 OLBs. Considering how true Poles is to scheme, I don't see him trading up for Anderson or taking Smith. Love Tyree. He is perfect, but I don't think there's any way he lasts to #9.

Myles Murphy: Absolutely love him too. And no, it's not fair to hold his college against him. I NEVER do that. That's part of the rationale that saw Fields fall. Just stupid IMHO. I'd take him at #9, but a lot of mocks I see have him going before us.

If Murphy and Tyree are both gone, I see a trade down. One I think would work would be with the Steelers. We trade #9 and #64 for #17 and #31. Just ran that on NFLMOCKDATABASE. Both Murphy and Tyree were gone by #9. The Steeler trade was accepted. Unfortunately, both Van Ness and Broderick Jones were chosen just before #17. Thing is, Bryce Young was also available. That's not gonna happen. One of those two should be available. And I believe Poles would take a RT at #17. Or Van Ness for that matter.

On a side note, Jalen Carter and Bryan Bresee were also available. Do you take one of those two? Not a big Carter fan myself, but at #17, even I would consider him.

Another thought, one of the reasons I looked at the Steelers was because I think Poles really wants an early second. I think he really wants Adetomiwa Adebawore as our 3T. If he can't trade down from #9, I see him trading up in the second with one of our seconds and our third for him.
Agreed in Murphy…I hate when people hold past athletes from the same college against a current athlete…yet, I can’t stop doing it with Murphy lol. I need to look at him again.

Van Ness has so much potential…Guy fits our philosophy to a T. Hustle…traits…character. Get him in the building and trust the coaches to get the best out of him.

I think you guys need to look at Nolan Smith again…he played really well with his hand in the dirt and I think the Micah comps are warranted.

Breese just can’t stay healthy….
BigDaddy
Practice Squad

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:33 pm Is anybody else getting like a Super Market Sweep vibe from Poles’ FA “strategy”? Like no real strategy just grab some shit and throw it in a cart?
Well, he did say he wants to build through the draft so, we'll see. I think alot of people thought he would be more active with the elite talent, I know I did, but he is a value shopper. We can only hope he picks up some post June 1 cuts and he really drafts well. We need at least 2-3 starters for the d line from this draft. Hopefully, if he drafts well, by 2024, our team will be more competitive, maybe playoffs in 2025.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:51 pm …I hate when people hold past athletes from the same college against a current athlete…
It was with me and Fields and the whole OSU thing. It could happen again next year when we turn the Panther's pick in Marvin Harrison.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:51 pm
cblaz11 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:51 pm …I hate when people hold past athletes from the same college against a current athlete…
It was with me and Fields and the whole OSU thing. It could happen again next year when we turn the Panther's pick in Marvin Harrison.
Another reason why I hope it's the first pick so we can trade it to a QB needy team and get their first round pick in '25 along with more. The pick in '25 turns out to be number one and repeat the cycle of trading the first overall pick for then next 10 years.

Now there's a plan.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I understood it in '22 but don't at all this offseason. I'm not saying the Bears should have signed McGlinchey and Hargraves but other guys were just sitting there for the plucking. Dre'mont Jones and McGary first then play 'dialing for dollars' with a high priced LB and another LB.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:45 pm

There s absolutely no way this happens. Zero…zilch..but you did say you were going off the board.

As far as scheme fit, my 9 year old niece is a better scheme fit at RT then Jones and the Bears lol

Im curious as to why you think 0%?

D. Jones has alot better movement skills than Orlando btw

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Daw ... -OhioState

10 Yard Split is quite good overall before you figure out he's a monster

He's Jordan Maliata not Orlando Brown/Jones/Bloom
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

@BigDaddy
@The Cooler King
@Grizzled

Ultimately where I'm confused is that our base defense is still supposed to be the Tampa / Cover -2.

The main tenant of that defense is creating pressure up front via the front four so the LBs can drop into coverage.

Now if that pressure up front doesn't materialize you get picked apart because the QB has all day.

So why isn't the first thing Poles does is sign guys up front? If we're changing schemes, then OK, and maybe that's what we have to do. Realize that don't have the personnel for the Cover-2 and do something else.

I'm not trying to shit on Edmunds and Edwards at all. They're legit players although I do worry that Edwards got a free ride in Philly playing behind that front four.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:29 am @BigDaddy
@The Cooler King
@Grizzled

Ultimately where I'm confused is that our base defense is still supposed to be the Tampa / Cover -2.

The main tenant of that defense is creating pressure up front via the front four so the LBs can drop into coverage.

Now if that pressure up front doesn't materialize you get picked apart because the QB has all day.

So why isn't the first thing Poles does is sign guys up front? If we're changing schemes, then OK, and maybe that's what we have to do. Realize that don't have the personnel for the Cover-2 and do something else.

I'm not trying to shit on Edmunds and Edwards at all. They're legit players although I do worry that Edwards got a free ride in Philly playing behind that front four.
To be fair: The main tenant of that defense was actually to possibly allow you to get picked apart but to never give up the big play. It's the bend don't break mantra which is why, if you recall, Lovie's d's were frequently bottom of the league in yards allowed and top in the league in points allowed. The key though is Turnovers-- and the Bears of the early 2000's were the kings. The "HITS" principles are all about winning the turnover battle because even if you give up a lot of short first downs, eventually, the offense makes a mistake. Win the turn over battle and generally, you win games.

Of course, you need to create pressure with your front 4 as well. The hope is that large immovable ends set the edge and you get penetration from up the middle (3T) which forces the QB to make errors or for runners to cut back into lanes where your bad ass WILL LB pounces.

The problem this year is that there is no clear 3T so we're likely going to go with a combination of Walker, Justin Jones, a draft pick to fill that need for inside pressure. Obviously the brain trust wasn't sold on Dre'mont Jones.
cblaz11
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:50 pm
cblaz11 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:45 pm

Im curious as to why you think 0%?

D. Jones has alot better movement skills than Orlando btw

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Daw ... -OhioState

10 Yard Split is quite good overall before you figure out he's a monster

He's Jordan Maliata not Orlando Brown/Jones/Bloom
I like Jones and think he will be a middle of the road starting RT at the next level. To me, that means constantly ranking somewhere between 10-20. That said, when watching his full games, I see him struggling just a little to get out vs the speed rush…He recovers because of his long arms, but in some cases his height hurts him.,he’s bending over and borderline lunging. All that can be coached…and I think he will be fine. That said, that is not something I see Poles being ok with when you consider what we ask our OTs to do.

Now, if he’s there in the 5th, maybe. My guess is he goes late 2nd or earlier.

On a side note, I think Darnell Wright carries his weigh much better and is a much better scheme fit.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

@The Cooler King
@Grizzled

I couldn't agree more, which is why I'm baffled at Poles's failure to add DT and DE pieces in free agency which were signed for fairly reasonable contracts. So be it, he's firmly put the bulls eye on himself by failing last year to get weapons for Fields and wasting a year of his career and now this year by ensuring almost every draft pick for DL and Ol has to hit.
Last edited by Grizzled on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I said it in another post. Poles doesn't give a shit about "filling holes". He goes through the beginning of FA and the draft and sticks to his board and his evaluations. Did it last year, is doing it this year.

The holes will be filled with someone by the time the season starts. And then he expects the coaches to make it work.

So while you may not agree with that, let's not be so surprised that he's doing exactly what he has always said he would do. His decisions aren't that shocking, it's just a much different way to run a team than we are used to. If it works we end up like the Patriots, Steelers Ravens. If it doesn't Poles is out of a job in the next two years. Let's just hope it works
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

@The Cooler King
@Grizzled

In his own words he stuck to the guys who were the top of their positions and fit the scheme and met the valuation they had on them (okay, well I'm paraphrasing his words).

It's kind of interesting. Needs in FA, BPA in draft is a pretty popular mantra. Poles is basically saying, BPA on each. Or even BPA in FA, and perhaps needs in draft.

We're only somewhat fortunate that it's a good draft class in the weakest areas. Except, apart from pick #9, it's not realistic to expect immediate impact. Hopefully you can find 2 day 1 starters from the 3 picks between 54 and 64. But if we look at Brisker/Gordon last year, it may be kind of a coin flip as to of there is consistency even then.

I'm not holding my breath that OL and DL are attacked as hard as every fan seems to expect right now. Can only imagine the reaction if #9 is one of the CBs.

At this point we wait. But Poles said to expect weaknesses. I guess he really views this thing as a multi year rebuild. Tear down season 1. Build back up over 2 seasons.

IMO he better have really high goals for season 3 if that's the idea. But I kind of said the same about this season. Realistically he thinks things are just gonna take a season longer than I think they should. I think that's a bit silly in a league with that much parity and you can't plan perfect windows like that. Your best bet is to be putting a strong foot forward in as many seasons as you can. But I digress.
wulfy
MVP

The great news is that the Bears have a ton of options at 9. If you want to root for a player - root for Will Levis to blow someone away at his Pro Day and he’s either taken in the Top 8 or sitting at 9 with an aggressive suitor who wants him. I’d love it to be Green Bay and they throw yet another skunk in the QB room and crush Love’s confidence from Day One.

Of the talent that should be there at 9 - I’d rather go Edge than RT as I think the R2 talent at OT is strong.

I’d rank my top 5 choices today as:
1) Tyree Wilson (no brainer if he’s there)
2) Lukas Van Ness (Poles will draft on projection, not on college stats)
3) Broderick Jones
4) Myles Murphy
5) Paris Johnson

I can’t put Jalen Carter on the list - screaming red flags. If they want to trade down to 17ish and he’s there, then maybe worth the risk.

CB is an option - but we’ve already invested so much draft capital there.

In R2 - I’d love Dawand Jones or Matthew Bergeron (later in R2). And Derick Hall.
dplank
Hall of Famer

@The Cooler King
@Grizzled

This summarizes my angst about Poles plan well. We have a core philosophy to our defense and it’s disconnected from Poles player acquisition strategy. The only answer I can come up with for how this makes sense, as a few others have said, is that Poles doesn’t really care how good we are in 2023 and is taking a “3 year minimum rebuild” strategy. If you take that view, passing on “good but not perfect” players makes more sense, he just isn’t in a rush. I understand it, but I’m todays NFL I think he’s being too careful and deliberate. JMO.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

wulfy wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:21 am
"In R2 - I’d love Dawand Jones..."
I would take him at #53 as he is certainly my favorite OL this year and is an absolutely massive human, plus we need a RT.

That said, he is probably gone by then and I think most will agree he is not the type of fleet footed athlete they seem to want on the OL to fit this scheme.

I get it that he does not fit, but personally I would have the tallest, meanest monsters available on both sides of my line but that is just my old school thinking I suppose.
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

dplank wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:44 am “3 year minimum rebuild” strategy. If you take that view, passing on “good but not perfect” players makes more sense, he just isn’t in a rush.
I think you may have absolutely nailed his strategy for rebuilding the team with that statement.

I am too impatient and have a win now mindset as a fan... His approach is probably best, but it is really "hard to see the forest through the trees" sometimes.
UOK
Site Admin

What would people’s thoughts be if the Bears traded down again and took Kancey out of Pitt?
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

UOK wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:26 am What would people’s thoughts be if the Bears traded down again and took Kancey out of Pitt?
I like Kancey but it seems like he is in the top 25-35 range...

No, we don't seem need another WR at all but would be great to trade down with the Steelers from #9 to #17 and gain our #32 pick back then go JSN at #17 and Kancey at #32 to start the 2nd round.
cblaz11
MVP

Kanceys game tape is some of the best in the draft..he does some amazing things. That said, his short arms are scary for the next level. I think he’s a pass rush specialist in the NFL and likely a 2nd rd pick.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:44 am
@The Cooler King
@Grizzled

This summarizes my angst about Poles plan well. We have a core philosophy to our defense and it’s disconnected from Poles player acquisition strategy. The only answer I can come up with for how this makes sense, as a few others have said, is that Poles doesn’t really care how good we are in 2023 and is taking a “3 year minimum rebuild” strategy. If you take that view, passing on “good but not perfect” players makes more sense, he just isn’t in a rush. I understand it, but I’m todays NFL I think he’s being too careful and deliberate. JMO.
Poles confuses and frustrates me just as much as he does you.

He's building the defense backwards. Who in the hell does that?

You build a defense like you do an offense. From the ball outwards.

But what does he do?

Year 1: Draft Gordon, who they put at slot corner of all places. A high second round pick at slot corner. Then draft Brisker. Brisker is a good player and he's going to be a top safety in this league. But these aren't the guys you start off with when you're totally retooling a defense. The jury is out on Gordon. Give him another year.

He trades Mack and cuts Hicks. OK fine. Both getting injury prone, on the downside, that kind of thing. But then where are the replacements? We had the draft picks and the cap money to do it too. The Ogun signing was a total clusterfuck. Trades Quinn. Whatever. Same thing. Quinn didn't produce shit for the Eagles and he was on THAT defense.

Year 2: In FA we get linebackers, both good players. Edmunds great. Edwards I'm shaky on, but he's good. But then we get an also ran from the Raiders for the DL. We had all the cap room in the world. We could've signed both Hargrave and Jones and had plenty of money left over for anything.

The draft remains to be seen but Poles realistically cannot draft three or four starters for the DL on the draft. I hope he proves me wrong, but that's a tall order.

That's why the defense rebuild is going to take 3 years. If Year 1 was spent on the DL. Then Year 2 on the LBs / secondary I think it's a different story.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:51 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:48 pm

shou

Agreed in Murphy…I hate when people hold past athletes from the same college against a current athlete…yet, I can’t stop doing it with Murphy lol. I need to look at him again.

Van Ness has so much potential…Guy fits our philosophy to a T. Hustle…traits…character. Get him in the building and trust the coaches to get the best out of him.

I think you guys need to look at Nolan Smith again…he played really well with his hand in the dirt and I think the Micah comps are warranted.

Breese just can’t stay healthy….
Cblaz, ever since your touting of Brandon Albert, I've almost always agreed with your analysis of prospects. Hell, I even incorporated Albert into my Picnic Basket that year. But I simply can't in the case of Nolan Smith.

My biggest gripe is his size. Not only his weight at 238, but his height at 6'2". I like 4-3 DEs to be 6'4" to 6'6" and 270 plus pounds. Because of his height, he can't add much more weight to his frame, so at best, you're looking at a 6'2", 250 lb DE in a 4-3. I don't believe that's enough to hold up long term in the NFL at the position.

In fact, Smith has already been hurt in the relatively short collegiate season in BOTH '21 and '22. And that's as only a part time hand in the dirt DE in facing college OTs. But not only that, Georgia often rested him in game in his OLB/DE role for long stretches. And yes, as a DE, Smith sometimes can use his speed to great effect, but more often when an OT gets his hands on him, he gets subsumed.

So I thought back to Georgia's thoroughly manhandling my Ducks in the first game of the season, and quite frankly, I don't remember much at all of Smith in that game. So I looked back, and sure enough, he didn't have much of an impact in the Bulldog's thorough dismantling of us, and Smith inexplicably went missing for long stretches of the game (and that was before the game was thoroughly out of hand), and when he was in, he was pretty effectively blocked. It wasn't Smith who created problems for the Duck offense.

I found similar in the South Carolina and Florida tapes: inexplicable on field absences accompanied by quite a few instances where he was thoroughly block interspersed with the occasional flashes of athleticism, most usually when he's unblocked.

Man, that Georgia defense is tough across the board, but sorry, I have to go Nancy Reagan on Smith as a 4-3 DE--"Just say no." As a 3-4 OLB though, he shows a lot of promise.

As to Bresee, I think we'd have a hard time holding on to him when free agency came up:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :-P