Whitehair starting C for 2023 Bears?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

EricTighe
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:57 am
duckherd50 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:36 am I dont think Leatherwood is in the plans. I may be wrong. But, I would have thought he would have played more last season if he was. I also believe Whitehair is more of a luxury than the plan at this point. We know he can play and we do not know who we get in the draft yet. Plans for him may change after the draft.
In fairness to Leatherwood, last season, he had and was recovering from Mono. That's a pretty long term, debilitating illness. I know of only one person who had it, and he had to leave college for an entire semester. He struggled to do anything.
EricTighe wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:07 am Not saying with any certainty except I have a bad back as well.

Maybe all of this is due to his back and nothing else. When healthy he is a bonafide starter. Health could be the main issue, hell it could be the only issue.
If you have a bad back, I STRONGLY suggest Pilates. I've suggested it to DP as well. Don't know if he's taken me up on it yet. The one thing I can say is, what do you have to lose. From my personal experience, I haven't even had a tinge of a problem in my chronic bad back since I started Pilates twenty years ago.
3 herniated disks. Lower lumbar. But this message for a chair I got for Christmas with what feels like baseballs in them sure helps a lot. When I can't move at all the only thing that works is Norco. But only get a prescription of 30 every 5 to 7 years.

Depending on how bad his back is and what and where it is screwed up depends a lot. If has what I have and got surgery to fix Herniated discs then that would be fusion and eventually his back will need it again it later. Thats according to my back surgeon.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Sad, but I'd still ask your back surgeon on at least trying it. You know, Pilates was designed from a hospital bed I believe. And you don't have to go full hard core. Just laying flat on your back with your knees up and feet flat on the floor (or bed if you want) and slowly dropping your knees from one side and hold and then the other helps a lot. And there are a lot of low impact exercises like that in Pilates like simple knee and leg circles. Things like that that just loosen it up a bit. Just ask your back surgeon first. You might be surprised. You notice they have Jenkins doing them.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:00 pm Sad, but I'd still ask your back surgeon on at least trying it. You know, Pilates was designed from a hospital bed I believe. And you don't have to go full hard core. Just laying flat on your back with your knees up and feet flat on the floor (or bed if you want) and slowly dropping your knees from one side and hold and then the other helps a lot. And there are a lot of low impact exercises like that in Pilates like simple knee and leg circles. Things like that that just loosen it up a bit. Just ask your back surgeon first. You might be surprised. You notice they have Jenkins doing them.
I still haven’t done it yogi I’ve been lazy AF lately. I intend to tho
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:59 am
Mikefive wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:52 pm My faith in Jenkins comes from the tape that says future pro bowler all over it after having not played the position at all as a pro until late in TC. He was our best OL guy last year. I don't know anyone who disputes that. Moving him to the position where he failed last year just seems mind bogglingly stupid to me.

As I said before, we can't pass judgement until we see the end result. But I just don't get why moving him to OT would be on the table.
You kind of answered your own doubt here. He was so good at RG, obviously our best lineman, at a position he'd never played until late training camp. Thing is, he was even more dominant in college at RT, the position he's most familiar with. As the most dominant lineman, he's accomplished at the one position that we most need, the one position we don't have a fill for. Stop and think for a moment, that maybe, just maybe, his initial struggles at RT were because of the shape he came in at and his injury concerns.

To me, he has obviously kept up on his Pilates this offseason. Some of you may doubt, but I can speak from 20 years of personal experience that that workout will drastically help his back issues, maybe even alleviate them altogether as it has me for the past 20 years. And it certainly appears that he's in shape and lost weight. That should also increase his speed allowing him to play the one position he's most accomplished at and that we most need.

That's my take and I'm sticking to it. ;)
Well, obviously, I was wrong about Jenkins getting another shot at RT, but more importantly, it appears that I'm on track as to the effect of Pilates on Jenkins' health.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/ch ... ld/498655/

Again, I can testify personally to the effect of Pilates on me for the past twenty plus years. It fixed a chronic bad back of mine and I haven't had an issue with it since. For any of you with back problems, I strongly suggest trying Pilates after consulting with your doctor (he'll probably agree with me lol). DP, how's it going with you? I fully expect Jenkins to be healthy all year.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Going great Yogi! And I’ve only been half assing it, mixing some stuff in with some HIIT training and I’m feeling good
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Great to hear DP.