2023 Bears contract extensions and re-signs

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I thought it might be useful to have a thread for news about Bears players eligible for contract extensions this year and any of their own free agents who they re-sign.

First up: Cole Kmet
Kmet: Preliminary contracts talks started with Bears

Poles and Eberflus both spoke glowingly about Kmet and his growth both as a blocking and playmaking tight end. But Kmet will be playing on the last year of his rookie deal in 2023, and will need a contract extension if the Bears want him to stay beyond this year. NBC Chicago’s Mike Berman caught up with Kmet on Wednesday, and Kmet told him that preliminary discussions have already begun between his camp and the Bears.

“Just little talks here and there,” Kmet told NBC Chicago. “They’ve got a lot to get done, obviously with the draft, free agency, all those things. Really wouldn’t expect much to happen, maybe until summer, really until after free agency settles and the draft, so we’ll see where it goes.”

In a perfect world, Kmet would like to have a deal in place sometime before the regular season starts, but he understands things may not play out that way and will see where negotiations go. He will be patient, but reiterated that in the end he wants to stick with the Bears.

“Obviously, from Chicago, would love to be here and all that stuff, but it’s a business side as well, so we’ll take care of that, see what happens. Not rushing anything. Obviously would love to be a Chicago Bear and win a Super Bowl here. That’s my ultimate dream and goal.”

Kmet admitted this part of the NFL is a bit of a weird experience for him, since it’s his first time going through contract negotiations.

“You kind of have to play the business aspect of it. You really have to. I think coming out, obviously, the draft, there’s really no negotiation going on. You get picked, slotted, that’s just kind of where it is, and you just go play. So now the business side really enters, and that’s the first time ever for me. You’ve got to talk about money and all these things in terms of playing football.

“I’ve always just associated football with just going out and having fun, and I want to keep it that way. I know my representation will do a good job of handling that business side, and for me, I love playing football and I want to keep doing it, and I want to keep doing it here in Chicago.”

Full article: https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... er=ya4nbcs
LacertineForest
MVP

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

This signing will really tip

the scales
LacertineForest
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:16 pm This signing will really tip

the scales
:D

I noticed people forgot to include him in the thread about foundational pieces.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I may have made the same exact joke format last year btw
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Well it's all official now.
Roster Moves: Bears ink Scales, Blasingame to extensions

The Bears on Tuesday signed long-snapper Patrick Scales to a one-year contract extension and fullback Khari Blasingame to a two-year extension.

Both players were due to become unrestricted free agents at 3 p.m. (CT) Wednesday.

The Bears on Tuesday also tendered offensive lineman Dieter Eiselen, an exclusive rights free agent, a one-year contract.

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/roste ... extensions
wab
Mod

Tuesday's roster moves leave the Bears with the following 20 unrestricted free agents and three restricted free agents:

Unrestricted
LB Matthew Adams
DT Angelo Blackson
QB Tim Boyle
S Dane Cruikshank
G Dakota Dozier
TE Ryan Griffin
WR N'Keal Harry
S DeAndre Houston-Carson
LB Elijah Lee
RB David Montgomery
LB Nicholas Morrow
DT Mike Pennel Jr
QB Nathan Peterman
WR Dante Pettis
WR Byron Pringle
G/T Riley Reiff
G/T Michael Schofield III
LB Joe Thomas
DT Armon Watts
TE Trevon Wesco

Restricted
CB Breon Borders
RB Darrynton Evans
C Sam Mustipher
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Kmet: Preliminary contracts talks started with Bears

Poles and Eberflus both spoke glowingly about Kmet and his growth both as a blocking and playmaking tight end. But Kmet will be playing on the last year of his rookie deal in 2023, and will need a contract extension if the Bears want him to stay beyond this year.
Oh shit. That means that Kmet is as good as gone. :frustrated:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Even though this isn't a 2023 issue, I really don't want to resurrect the Delirious thread, I'm putting it here.

The Cleveland Browns drew the ire of other owners last year when they signed Deshaun Watson to a fully guaranteed five-year, $230 million contract. That’s reportedly one of the hang-ups in the Lamar Jackson contract situation with the Baltimore Ravens. It’s worth noting Watson’s agent, David Mulugheta, also represents Bears quarterback Justin Fields.
:sick:

Ugly battle and/or a really dangerous decision will probably arrive before too long.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:50 pm Even though this isn't a 2023 issue, I really don't want to resurrect the Delirious thread, I'm putting it here.

The Cleveland Browns drew the ire of other owners last year when they signed Deshaun Watson to a fully guaranteed five-year, $230 million contract. That’s reportedly one of the hang-ups in the Lamar Jackson contract situation with the Baltimore Ravens. It’s worth noting Watson’s agent, David Mulugheta, also represents Bears quarterback Justin Fields.

Ugly battle and/or a really dangerous decision will probably arrive before too long.
IF JF1 has those dreams, he had better become highly consistent and highly proficient highly fast. But he could get really better really fast. If he makes a leap similar to Hurts from year 2 to year 3 and then sustains it in year 4 & the Bears make the playoffs this year and next ... I could see guaranteeing him that much. But honestly if there is any question the answer is "no".

On a lighter note: Have we really all given up on Harry? He's a good blocker and made some plays last year. Should they give him an off-season with JF1 and the other guys and see what happens?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

Harry doesn’t look like he can play IMO.

Regarding these fully guaranteed contracts, I side with the players almost always. That said, I’d like to see the NFL make a structural change to their cap rules and allow for guaranteed contracts that have some out or discount against the cap in the event of injury. I haven’t pondered how that might work exactly but would be great to give the players guaranteed income assurance while relieving some of the risk from the teams who could blow their cap if it goes wrong.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I strongly suspect the NFL is collectively desperate to keep guaranteed contracts the exception and not the norm (there's a word for that: collusion), but I'm nearly always on the side of the player who's putting their body on the line.
IE wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:44 am On a lighter note: Have we really all given up on Harry? He's a good blocker and made some plays last year. Should they give him an off-season with JF1 and the other guys and see what happens?
I won't pretend to speak for anyone else, but I sure have. I wasn't all that high on him in the first place and last season did nothing to change my mind.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
IE
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:07 am I strongly suspect the NFL is collectively desperate to keep guaranteed contracts the exception and not the norm (there's a word for that: collusion), but I'm nearly always on the side of the player who's putting their body on the line.
IE wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:44 am On a lighter note: Have we really all given up on Harry? He's a good blocker and made some plays last year. Should they give him an off-season with JF1 and the other guys and see what happens?
I won't pretend to speak for anyone else, but I sure have. I wasn't all that high on him in the first place and last season did nothing to change my mind.
If you didn't like him in the first place, perhaps you're not the best most objective person to chime in.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:44 am
Moriarty wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:50 pm Even though this isn't a 2023 issue, I really don't want to resurrect the Delirious thread, I'm putting it here.

IF JF1 has those dreams, he had better become highly consistent and highly proficient highly fast. But he could get really better really fast. If he makes a leap similar to Hurts from year 2 to year 3 and then sustains it in year 4 & the Bears make the playoffs this year and next ... I could see guaranteeing him that much. But honestly if there is any question the answer is "no".

On a lighter note: Have we really all given up on Harry? He's a good blocker and made some plays last year. Should they give him an off-season with JF1 and the other guys and see what happens?
Seems to me he is a guy they should give a vet minimum contract too. Has been in the system and won't have to learn as much as some other guy they might bring in. Right now I'd say he is a 5-6 WR and if they bring in some rookie who beats him out great. If the light comes on for him awesome. He's not a guy to count on to be one of your top 3 WRs, but the WR room has been upgraded and he won't be in that conversation.
IE
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:23 am
IE wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:44 am

Seems to me he is a guy they should give a vet minimum contract too. Has been in the system and won't have to learn as much as some other guy they might bring in. Right now I'd say he is a 5-6 WR and if they bring in some rookie who beats him out great. If the light comes on for him awesome. He's not a guy to count on to be one of your top 3 WRs, but the WR room has been upgraded and he won't be in that conversation.
Yeah - definitely wouldn't consider him more than 5-6. But he's so young and sometimes the light comes on after a few years. It seems like most aren't considering him for return but thought worth discussing.
wab
Mod

I think they have their two bigger dudes in Claypool and ESB. Tonyan to a degree too. Harry is pretty redundant at this point.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Moore, Claypool, Mooney - majority of the snaps
Velus - gadget player/returner
ESB - Blocking WR/"dependable" vet/STer

#6 will not dress most weeks. Id much prefer to put a rookie in that slot then a retread like Harry. The staff loves ESB so hes a lock and the top 4 are all better than Harry. On the bright side, if injuries hit, he's probably going to be available because it's not likely another team picks him up anytime soon.
UOK
Site Admin

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:23 am Moore, Claypool, Mooney - majority of the snaps

#6 will not dress most weeks. Id much prefer to put a rookie in that slot then a retread like Harry. The staff loves ESB so hes a lock and the top 4 are all better than Harry. On the bright side, if injuries hit, he's probably going to be available because it's not likely another team picks him up anytime soon.
I think you mean #8 (6 is Kyler Gordon), but yeah, I would think the Bears waive Harry after the draft so he can find another team before camp.
IE
Hall of Famer

That's all fine & all ... but then next year the only guys we know for sure will be back are DJ, ESB and Velus. Just sayin'. So I guess we burn that bridge when we come to it. Draft MHJ with the Panther pick.
UOK
Site Admin

IE wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:43 am That's all fine & all ... but then next year the only guys we know for sure will be back are DJ, ESB and Velus. Just sayin'. So I guess we burn that bridge when we come to it. Draft MHJ with the Panther pick.
Which I'd be okay with! That said, it's really hard to look at how the landscape of things will be this time next offseason. So much changes.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:23 am Moore, Claypool, Mooney - majority of the snaps

You've got to have 2 guys who can return punts.
So, unless they keep 4 HBs and the 4th is a PR, the 6th WR has to be one.
And that leaves nothing for Harry, unless there's an injury to one of the top 4, or he can flat out beat ESB.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:30 am

I think you mean #8 (6 is Kyler Gordon), but yeah, I would think the Bears waive Harry after the draft so he can find another team before camp.
I meant the #6 wide receiver, not player number,sorry!
LacertineForest
MVP

IE wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:14 am
thunderspirit wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:07 am I strongly suspect the NFL is collectively desperate to keep guaranteed contracts the exception and not the norm (there's a word for that: collusion), but I'm nearly always on the side of the player who's putting their body on the line.

If you didn't like him in the first place, perhaps you're not the best most objective person to chime in.
That seems like a pretty hard stance to take - does that also mean people who were high on him coming into the trade also can't be objective? His take seems perfectly reasonable to me, and this is an internet message board, after all - having opinions is what makes this place interesting!
IE
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:51 am
IE wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:14 am

That seems like a pretty hard stance to take - does that also mean people who were high on him coming into the trade also can't be objective? His take seems perfectly reasonable to me, and this is an internet message board, after all - having opinions is what makes this place interesting!
I don't see it that way as much as I do simply an admission of bias ... which is fine to have but it wasn't what I was looking for when I brought ii up. I didn't ask if people liked Harry. I was wondering what others thought about the player maybe still having a place on the team given the situation.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:02 am Harry doesn’t look like he can play IMO.

Regarding these fully guaranteed contracts, I side with the players almost always. That said, I’d like to see the NFL make a structural change to their cap rules and allow for guaranteed contracts that have some out or discount against the cap in the event of injury. I haven’t pondered how that might work exactly but would be great to give the players guaranteed income assurance while relieving some of the risk from the teams who could blow their cap if it goes wrong.
It a complex issue IMO. At the end of the day the players are gonna get a fixed share of revenue, so it's not completely devoid of a current players v future players benefit which of course the future players don't have seat at table. All current players would love to run up guarantees, but owners would claw that back under current guidelines, if those guarantees went over the revenue split.

The other complex part is just the escrow funding requirement. There's a formula in place but basically a high % of any guarantees have to go into an escrow account. If we're talking a QB contract at 5 or 6 years there is gonna be a legit cash flow question for many owners. And there us a real economic cost of tying up their money. It's also a really antiquated rule from when nfl teams were not as balance sheet robust as they are today.

As to injury, players do get certain injury protections, aside from existence of guarantees. But could be strengthened.

I'd suggest two revisions though.

1. Owners must Fund guarantees only on a rolling 30 month bi-annual basis, using a similar formula to above. This would really help out with the QB deals especially.
2. For injury guarantee only, an owner may substitute an injury-insurance policy up to a certain amount of the total injury guarantee. The premiums on said policy would fall outside of the cap, but not revenue share. Unless the policy pays out in which case the guarantees themselves would be relieved from cap and the insurance premiums would be accounted for instead. Hell maybe NFLPA could even administer an insurance program like this. Sharing injury risk should be a collective player effort, basically, because the revenue share model is too.

Those two things I think would help gas up guaranteed fundings, and particularly on injury front, share the collective risk among all participants.
Middleguard
MVP

So at what point in the contract does it benefit the team to have the player kneecapped in order to revert to insurance and be rid of the player? (just trying to think like a Chicagoan)
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:42 pm So at what point in the contract does it benefit the team to have the player kneecapped in order to revert to insurance and be rid of the player? (just trying to think like a Chicagoan)
This is like the guys from running home alone trying to run a insurance fraud scheme. If the guy only has injury guarantee just cut him when he's still healthy lol
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:16 pm This signing will really tip

the scales
Ah, the old CSI sunglasses trick:

lol
UOK
Site Admin

FWIW, Fishbain mentioned that most of these contract extensions are likely to be announced during the preseason, so don't hold your breath for any major news for some time.