2023 Free Agency News / Rumors / Transactions

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

LacertineForest
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:54 pm
LacertineForest wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:49 pm

Heh, although he was credited with a sack during the game, so he did get one from each NFCN team.
Only kidding LF ;)

So is this Ed Oliver. What’s the buzz? Are we talking about trading for him? How would that look, a 2023 second?
I honestly don't know much about him - just that people were talking about him on Twitter :P

Given that his contract is up at the end of the year, I would think the compensation would have to be late 2nd or 3rd round at best. His PFF stats are okay but not spectacular, but he's young and plays a position of great need.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Ed Oliver or Jeffrey Simmons?

I imagine Edmunds has had a word with Poles about Oliver.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

LacertineForest
MVP

Welp, guess Ed Oliver posted a video of him sacking Fields now. The dream is dead, gents.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:40 pm Welp, guess Ed Oliver posted a video of him sacking Fields now. The dream is dead, gents.
It's a smoke screen!

Anyways it's been too long between moves. Everyone Bears fan is gonna jump at any hint of movement.
bbaker
Journeyman

Pretty sure he posted every sack he had last year.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

It's my understanding that many teams platoon their DLs but platooning is generally seen as inappropriate for OL's.

It seems reasonable that rookies would get broken in easier in a platooning system - makes me wonder if DL draft picks might show a faster learning progression than OL picks, all things being equal.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

pus wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:35 pm It's my understanding that many teams platoon their DLs but platooning is generally seen as inappropriate for OL's.

It seems reasonable that rookies would get broken in easier in a platooning system - makes me wonder if DL draft picks might show a faster learning progression than OL picks, all things being equal.
Playing D line is 2x more exhausting than O line, unless you get out on a screen and lead the whole way down field. O linemen aren't built to run 80 yards and be ready to go another play right after that without sucking some wind. D line basically doing 300lb sled pushes or sprinting around the heavy bag with resistance for 70-80 plays a game.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:54 pm
LacertineForest wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:49 pm

Heh, although he was credited with a sack during the game, so he did get one from each NFCN team.
Only kidding LF ;)

So is this Ed Oliver. What’s the buzz? Are we talking about trading for him? How would that look, a 2023 second?
Hard to say what he's worth honestly. His surface stats aren't great. His sacks have decreased each year from 5 as a rookie to 2 in 2022.

I don't know what his pressure rate is or any of those advanced stats. I don't know...he was a top 10 pick, but hasn't done much. Swap of 3rd round picks? 3rd outright?

I don't think I'd give up another 2nd round pick for another potential one year rental.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

In the absence of any news re. Bears signings, here's some for a couple of now former Bears linebackers.

The Eagles have agreed to sign Nicholas Morrow to a one-year deal, so he has a chance to be Edwards' replacement.

The Browns signed Matthew Adams who followed Eberflus from the Colts. He started three out of 10 games last season and played 83 percent of the Bears’ special teams downs when healthy.

No details on contract amounts yet.

Source: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... quan-smith
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

After much reading and teeth gnashing, I've finally come to the conclusion that Poles is quietly building this team mainly thru the draft, not free agency. We will see improvement in '23. Perhaps a playoff run. But Poles will continue in the same vein in this manner in adding guys in '24, '25, etc. No big splashes.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:54 am After much reading and teeth gnashing, I've finally come to the conclusion that Poles is quietly building this team mainly thru the draft, not free agency. We will see improvement in '23. Perhaps a playoff run. But Poles will continue in the same vein in this manner in adding guys in '24, '25, etc. No big splashes.
I agree with you and then the cycle begins anew when JF1 gets his $50M per year and then now the excuse is we don’t have the cap space.

This team should be in Win Now Mode for the next three years.

But that’s probably why the McCaskey’s like him. He’s a tight ass just like they are.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:06 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:54 am After much reading and teeth gnashing, I've finally come to the conclusion that Poles is quietly building this team mainly thru the draft, not free agency. We will see improvement in '23. Perhaps a playoff run. But Poles will continue in the same vein in this manner in adding guys in '24, '25, etc. No big splashes.
I agree with you and then the cycle begins anew when JF1 gets his $50M per year and then now the excuse is we don’t have the cap space.

But that’s probably why the McCaskey’s like him. He’s a tight ass just like they are.
Let me add that I believe Poles will go for Best Player Available (highest rated) rather than picking to fill specifc holes. Also, I wouldn't be surprised for the Bears to trade down, even as far to snag another 2nd rounder and a 2024 1st.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
UOK
Site Admin

1. Every NFL team is in win now mode. I don't think there's many, if any, teams in professional sports that go *into* a season with an agenda to lose. Later in seasons when things go to shit, sure, many a GM sets things in motion to put them in the best possible position for the following year, and in Poles' case for his first year, he was inheriting a bad situation (as new GMs usually do) and had to make a lot of moves to accommodate swift change, and it netted him the first overall pick. I don't think fans will be too tolerant going forward if Poles' teams don't show improvement, and I definitely don't believe Poles is hoping for the top pick again next year unless it's from the Panthers.

2. "The McCaskeys are cheap" is a tired argument that needs to be retired. This may have applied to the 90s or something, but the George McCaskey era Bears have been incredibly spendy. They just dumped a shitload into Halas Hall renovations and are actively dropping another fortune on new stadium development and construction. The Bears have signed players to big contracts time and time again over the years, to varying degrees of success. Poles has clearly indicated he is hesitant to invest significant resources into veteran players beyond a certain age, but still made an attempt to sign McGlinchey and Ogunjobi who were each 28 and 27 respectively at the time they were courted. C'mon now.

3. Every GM in the NFL tries to build a super bowl winner on their quarterback's rookie contract. That's just how things are done.
wulfy
MVP

UOK wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:24 am 2. "The McCaskeys are cheap" is a tired argument that needs to be retired. This may have applied to the 90s or something, but the George McCaskey era Bears have been incredibly spendy. They just dumped a shitload into Halas Hall renovations and are actively dropping another fortune on new stadium development and construction. The Bears have signed players to big contracts time and time again over the years, to varying degrees of success. Poles has clearly indicated he is hesitant to invest significant resources into veteran players beyond a certain age, but still made an attempt to sign McGlinchey and Ogunjobi who were each 28 and 27 respectively at the time they were courted. C'mon now.
Here, here, UOK!!!! Don't confuse "cheap" with "horrible decision making" ... the Bears have consistently spent on this team (they DESPERATELY want to win, especially 'Ginny) since Michael McCaskey left. The problem is that they've hired nitwits in the Front Office who have made some very terrible choices on WHERE to spend.

The list of terrible Free Agent signings by the Bears in the last 10 years is lengthy and embarrassing. And consistently paid for past performance vs future performance (Hi Jared Allen).
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:24 am

1. Every NFL team is in win now mode. I don't think there's many, if any, teams in professional sports that go *into* a season with an agenda to lose. Later in seasons when things go to shit, sure, many a GM sets things in motion to put them in the best possible position for the following year, and in Poles' case for his first year, he was inheriting a bad situation (as new GMs usually do) and had to make a lot of moves to accommodate swift change, and it netted him the first overall pick. I don't think fans will be too tolerant going forward if Poles' teams don't show improvement, and I definitely don't believe Poles is hoping for the top pick again next year unless it's from the Panthers.

2. "The McCaskeys are cheap" is a tired argument that needs to be retired. This may have applied to the 90s or something, but the George McCaskey era Bears have been incredibly spendy. They just dumped a shitload into Halas Hall renovations and are actively dropping another fortune on new stadium development and construction. The Bears have signed players to big contracts time and time again over the years, to varying degrees of success. Poles has clearly indicated he is hesitant to invest significant resources into veteran players beyond a certain age, but still made an attempt to sign McGlinchey and Ogunjobi who were each 28 and 27 respectively at the time they were courted. C'mon now.

3. Every GM in the NFL tries to build a super bowl winner on their quarterback's rookie contract. That's just how things are done.
My beef is that Poles took the cheap way out and uses the logic of BPA as cover.

Yes there is a time and a place for BPA. That’s also a very convenient argument for not eating your vegetables so to speak.

At some point you have to address the problem. The problem here is the DL and that, even now on paper, it appears completely substandard and this was an obvious problem last year.

Well you know Gordon and Brisker were there. Ok…..

Well you know Edmunds and Edwards were there. Ok….

Meanwhile there is no credible plan to pressure the QB. LBs get eaten for lunch by OL achieving the second level.

And the root cause of it in my mind is that Poles got scared by DTs costing $20M for a premium one. Then DEs would probably be similar to a quality LB.

So my question is, at what point does the concept of BPA get thrown out the window and the real problem be addressed?
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:50 am So my question is, at what point does the concept of BPA get thrown out the window and the real problem be addressed?
Good question!

I think all GMs posture themselves with statements like "we ALWAYS will take the best player available, regardless of need," but when it comes to the showdown, they absolutely weigh needs and re-adjust their metrics later to justify the pick. This is a little trickier as far as free agency goes.
bbaker
Journeyman

I heard Jimmy Johnson talking the other day about how he HATES the idea of BPA.

JJ is a douche, but he sure as hell knew how to draft talent.
IE
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:01 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:50 am So my question is, at what point does the concept of BPA get thrown out the window and the real problem be addressed?
Good question!

I think all GMs posture themselves with statements like "we ALWAYS will take the best player available, regardless of need," but when it comes to the showdown, they absolutely weigh needs and re-adjust their metrics later to justify the pick. This is a little trickier as far as free agency goes.
You're right - they have to do that. A team might really want some player they feel can meet a need or offer some ability they would like to have ... but they have to say they had that person graded out as the best player available, or it raises the question of "... so you intentionally passed on a better player?".
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thefish7
Journeyman

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:50 am My beef is that Poles took the cheap way out and uses the logic of BPA as cover.

Yes there is a time and a place for BPA. That’s also a very convenient argument for not eating your vegetables so to speak.

At some point you have to address the problem. The problem here is the DL and that, even now on paper, it appears completely substandard and this was an obvious problem last year.

Well you know Gordon and Brisker were there. Ok…..

Well you know Edmunds and Edwards were there. Ok….

Meanwhile there is no credible plan to pressure the QB. LBs get eaten for lunch by OL achieving the second level.

And the root cause of it in my mind is that Poles got scared by DTs costing $20M for a premium one. Then DEs would probably be similar to a quality LB.

So my question is, at what point does the concept of BPA get thrown out the window and the real problem be addressed?
I have been watching this argument go on and on between everybody, and I understand where it's coming from. I don't really agree that you're reading it right or that there are excuses being made by anybody. I don't think anyone is being cheap. I do think there are a few things that Poles is doing that fly directly in the face of "spend your cap because you have it:"
  • A rational approach I've seen suggested is that you can "spend" on less expensive positions (LB for example) and draft the expensive ones (DL as an example). Poles may be doing just that.
  • The DL has already been improved and is not totally empty. 9 defensive linemen were active in week 18. There are 6 on the roster now, so ostensibly we need 2-3. It's almost certain the Bears will draft at least 2-3 DL.
  • The OL has already been improved and is currently "full." 8 offensive linemen were active in week 18. There are 9 on the roster now. Any draft pick or FA signing will replace a current body to improve the roster.
  • Yes, you can't take your cap with you, so it makes sense to spend it each year. The thing is, if you get guys on multi-year deals that don't work out for you, they limit your flexibility in future years. The idea that the market sets the price is correct, but that that means you should just spend whatever the market dictates is a fallacy. You can choose not to buy, which Poles is definitely doing. That gives him flexibility to wait out guys who won't take one year deals yet, extend your own players, play in future "waves" of FA as players get released prior to the start of the season.
  • Something you have alluded to in your interested in Bijan Robinson (which I shared, though ship has sailed with Foreman signing I think), is that Poles can afford to neglect defense for another year and focus entirely on developing a great offense. If the Bears put up 40 points a game, the defense can be less than elite... And we have excellent draft capital next year! To me, the Bears feel 1 or 2 linemen away from on offense with no obvious problems. This lets you see what Fields and Getsy can really do in 2023.
I do not believe that Poles is trying to tank or isn't in a hurry to win. There is not a single phase of this team that isn't at least a little bit better (DL, OL), while some are much better (WR, LB), and the off-season isn't anywhere close to over. Poles has improved the roster through an excellent trade and some good (if mostly thrifty) FA signings and at the same time retains incredible flexibility in both draft capital and cap room. Poles has the capital to be able to liberally move up or down in the draft to get the guys he wants. I expect we'll end up with starters at 3 of C, OT, DE, and DT inside the first two/three rounds of this draft. After that you really do have a full roster and you can go bonkers with a "true" BPA approach for the rest of the draft.

So far, I am ecstatic with this offseason. With a good draft and some well placed FA signings, I think the Bears can make a very large leap forward compared to last season... And still roll into 2024 with excellent draft and cap capital.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

bbaker wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:50 am I heard Jimmy Johnson talking the other day about how he HATES the idea of BPA.

JJ is a douche, but he sure as hell knew how to draft talent.
Yea I think the interview was posted elsewhere. He was on the Score. Really funny listen. I also liked him talking about his trade chart. He was basically like "why the hell are you all still using this thing?"

bbaker
Journeyman

Thanks, Cooler. That was the interview.

"...best player available Bullcrap..."

"I didn't want the best player available, I wanted the best player that I WANTED"
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:09 am
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:56 pm

You’re literally required to spend and you have to make an honest assessment of where your roster is before getting into bidding wars over specific guys.

The Bears roster is still too depleted for that because Pace bungled multiple drafts.

Also, you don’t have to spend money via free agency, you can spend it by signing guys you trade for to extensions, which has paid major dividends for the Chiefs, Rams, and Eagles in recent years.
And often has backfired on Bears. There's no secret one trick.

Theres no prolonged "honest assesment". Lifespans are too short and rosters turn over frequently. There's just building and trying to add as much as you can in short term without compromising flexibility.

Poles got his one year break in and tank. He can't sit around contemplating every guy on roster to end of the earth. Gotta just start building.
There is no one trick but all good teams have to hit on several draft picks over a number of drafts. Even the Rams who adopted the “f them picks” mentality still hit on picks in the lead up to their Superbowl.

No team can have several years of abysmal drafts and become a great team through free agency spending sprees and trades.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:01 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:09 am
And often has backfired on Bears. There's no secret one trick.

Theres no prolonged "honest assesment". Lifespans are too short and rosters turn over frequently. There's just building and trying to add as much as you can in short term without compromising flexibility.

Poles got his one year break in and tank. He can't sit around contemplating every guy on roster to end of the earth. Gotta just start building.
There is no one trick but all good teams have to hit on several draft picks over a number of drafts. Even the Rams who adopted the “f them picks” mentality still hit on picks in the lead up to their Superbowl.

No team can have several years of abysmal drafts and become a great team through free agency spending sprees and trades.
And most teams with sustained good drafts were immediately capitalizing on it by continuously being agressive in trade and FA. Others shorten or miss their window altogether.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

@thefish7

We normally don't talk. What's up?

One thing to keep in context here is that our DL was extraordinarily bad last year. It wasn't marginable or serviceable. It was a total train wreck. IIRC, there were several games in a row where we didn't even record a sack by the front four.

In that context...

We don't have 2 to 3 years to rebuild the DL through the draft. We have substantial problems today.

In your counter point you cite the number of DL and OL under contract. The number of players under contract is irrelevant. We need QUALITY under contract.

I'm not concerned about signing guys to multi-year deals. The one noted concern I had was Hargrave because he was 30. Otherwise, multi-year deals come with the territory. Some are going to be great. Some are going to be bad. It's like complaining about red lights in traffic. It's inevitable. I do reiterate that NOW is the time to take those risks as JF1 is on the rookie deal. We're getting an artificial cap benefit of between $30M to $50M per year because of it. That advantage is gone in a couple of years. Leverage that now.

I stand by what I said about Bijan Robinson. I can really see where going all-in on the offense knowing full well that the defense will not amount to anything can be a winning strategy. Scoring 40 points per game is a great defense. A guy like Robinson is the last piece this offense needs.

In my mind, drafting Robinson is a surer bet than hoping we can successfully draft 2 to 4 DL within the same draft. Robinson gives us a higher probability of success.

I do agree with you that a leap forward this year is realistically possible for various reasons. The schedule is weak. The Packers are imploding. JF1 is ascending. The offense is one RB away from being significantly dangerous.

Edit: One thing I'm going to keep my eye on this year is the dedication to the Cover-2 knowing the DL is still not up to stuff. I know nickel / sub packages and all that jazz. I'm talking about changes to the base defense.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Having extra draft capital, rosters full of young players, and more than a “go sign everyone cost be damned” mentality is how you deal with the future when fields costs a ton.

Fields, no matter how much you or I believe he is going to be the real deal isn’t 100% proven and this team isn’t a piece or two from a Super Bowl.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:52 am

Having extra draft capital, rosters full of young players, and more than a “go sign everyone cost be damned” mentality is how you deal with the future when fields costs a ton.

Fields, no matter how much you or I believe he is going to be the real deal isn’t 100% proven and this team isn’t a piece or two from a Super Bowl.
I think we are going to the Super Bowl next season :thumbsup:

wulfy
MVP

The way they have structured contracts has the bulk of cash this year and next year (esp Edmunds).
dplank
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:59 am The way they have structured contracts has the bulk of cash this year and next year (esp Edmunds).
The way I read that is getting cost out of the way ahead of Fields big pay day, so we have talent around him still but a lot of the cost for that talent has already been prepaid
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:25 am
wulfy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:59 am The way they have structured contracts has the bulk of cash this year and next year (esp Edmunds).
The way I read that is getting cost out of the way ahead of Fields big pay day, so we have talent around him still but a lot of the cost for that talent has already been prepaid
It's cash not cap hit. It's an important difference Dplank.

The cash was moved up - in part (large part?) - because we have to hit the CBA Cash minimum.

Cap hit is the thing we need to watch for on Fields.

And you CAN bring Cap Space forward.

The contracts this offseason don't apply much to the Fields situation just yet.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Can we pay off Fields 2025 extension this season?