For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:30 am Image
Wouldn’t Krause and Poles be quite the pair?

Poles could acquire the picks and Krause could figure out which blacktop league center from south central Lithuania he could draft.
wulfy
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:41 pm Guys who at age 25 had over 5000 receiving yards:

Randy Moss 6743 (Daunte Culpepper)
Mike Evans. 6103 (Jameis Winston)
Larry Fitzgerald 5975 (Kurt Warner)
DeAndre Hopkins. 5865 (Garbage to begin, then DeShaun Watson)
D. J. Moore. 5201 (A flaming bag of dog poop)
Brandin Cooks. 5145 (Drew Brees & Tom Brady)
Amari Cooper. 5097 (Derek Carr & Dak Prescott)
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Wulfy, I know you'll appreciate this. Here's Poles' description of Moore:
“It was two things,” Poles says. “Coming out, I just remember how strong he played. He’s an impact player, a receiver that could play inside, outside separating routes. But then he has a level of strength to him that I really admired. On top of that, the person was outstanding. He’s great for the locker room. He’s a worker, grinder, not a lot of noise or distraction, just … he’s a dude. That part was important to me.

He still abides....
dplank
Hall of Famer

He’s no Jackie Treehorn
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:21 pm He’s no Jackie Treehorn
If the drawing was to scale, no one's Jackie Treehorn
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

D.J. fix for the day:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... l-panthers

Will the Bears new WR lineup equal Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd? As I read in one mock draft, will Poles shock everyone and take JSN at #9? Or will the Bears take one other WR later in the draft - Dell, Flowers, Hutchinson, Perry, etc.?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'd say the chances of him taking a WR early are approaching zero.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

D.J. started out more of a slot guy but Carolina began using him deeper over the years. I figure Getsy will put him in the X and Mooney or a draft pick will be put in the slot:

https://beargoggleson.com/posts/chicago ... tin-fields

It should be noted that he was also used out of the backfield for upwards of 10 runs per year. Could this signal the end of VJJ or will they find a role for him?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
UOK
Site Admin

Grizzled wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:23 am D.J. started out more of a slot guy but Carolina began using him deeper over the years. I figure Getsy will put him in the X and Mooney or a draft pick will be put in the slot:

It should be noted that he was also used out of the backfield for upwards of 10 runs per year. Could this signal the end of VJJ or will they find a role for him?
This is the last year VJJ will get to prove himself for the Bears, especially if they draft a WR in the first three rounds of the draft. All Jones has shown is that he can occasionally make a great play on kickoff or punt returns, with very little to his credit last year as a receiver. He's got a major challenge ahead of him.
IE
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:29 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:23 am D.J. started out more of a slot guy but Carolina began using him deeper over the years. I figure Getsy will put him in the X and Mooney or a draft pick will be put in the slot:

This is the last year VJJ will get to prove himself for the Bears, especially if they draft a WR in the first three rounds of the draft. All Jones has shown is that he can occasionally make a great play on kickoff or punt returns, with very little to his credit last year as a receiver. He's got a major challenge ahead of him.
VJJ initially had the yips pretty bad and then also the one bad Christian Watson moment where he dropped a perfect dime far downfield. But over the last quarter of the season he showed how electric he can be, and seems good for one or two really big plays per game - either KR, handoff, and yes he proved he can be a deep target. That is huge to have a role player who can do THAT.

I'm guessing a big reasons he wasn't used as a WR at USC and then had a rough first season at Tenn is he lacks for confidence. That can be a big problem for a guy with his job. BUT he did show that he can get into the swing of things in his last year of college and then again toward the end of last year he made some big confidence-gaining plays.

I think he's going to get more opportunity this fall especially if Mooney is slow to get up to speed. VJJ on handoffs is a weapon beyond what DJ moore can do. I'm sure DJ will get a couple of handoffs to keep the D guessing but they're not going to give up on Velus' speed that quickly. DJ is a great receiver but he's no VJJ with the ball in his hands. Speed kills.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Yep.

After the Moore trade there is less need for Velus than ever.

It’s going to be Moore, Mooney and Claypool out there. #4 WRs are a dime a dozen. Then for 2024 they’ll keep either Mooney or Claypool but most likely not both. That open third WR spot is your slot WR. Different type of player where you can either sign or draft one easily. The slot needs to be a guy with glue hands. Velus obviously doesn’t have that.

Then punt / kick returners are a dime a dozen especially after they changed the rules of the game.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:42 am I'd say the chances of him taking a WR early are approaching zero.
I agree with that.

You have a top 3 of Mooney, Claypool and Moore.

You have a solid 4th in St. Brown.

You have a "lottery ticket" in VJJ.

You have to think they want to give VJJ lots of shots to show he can be what they envisioned him being. They spent a 3rd round pick on him and they want to build through the draft. So if can handle kickoffs, punts and get 10-15 snaps at WR/RB per game with 3-4 touches on offense and average one "explosive" play on offense per game, I think they will be happy with him having that role (of course they want more, but if your 4/5th WR is giving you that, its' a good thing).

I still think Poles is going to finish with more picks that he has now and a day three pick will be spent on a WR. If we don't go WR until late, I'm pimping for Matt Landers from Arkansas. He doesn't have eye popping numbers (47 receptions for 901 yards and 8TDs) but he is a guy that when they went to him always produced. The guys is 6'4" 200 pounds and ran a 4.37 at the combine (3rd fastest WR). He was a big recruit coming out of high school and went to Georgia and produced very little (although Stetson Bennett raves about him), and an okay season and Tuledo before coming to the Hogs.

https://www.bestofarkansassports.com/ar ... l-combine/
IE
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:55 pm

Yep.

It’s going to be Moore, Mooney and Claypool out there. #4 WRs are a dime a dozen. Then for 2024 they’ll keep either Mooney or Claypool but most likely not both. That open third WR spot is your slot WR. Different type of player where you can either sign or draft one easily. The slot needs to be a guy with glue hands. Velus obviously doesn’t have that.

Then punt / kick returners are a dime a dozen especially after they changed the rules of the game.
Velus is a 4.3 friggin' rocket. And not just track speed - he plays his track speed in pads like few do. And not just straight-line - he's got good vision, is twitchy-quick and can cut back really well. He can run it like an RB and he's got decent hands, and proved he can catch it down field. He can leave Mooney in the dust down field, and is bigger, stronger & more elusive. He's not just a KR - he's a real threat & if the other team kicks it short of the end zone you have to return it.

Calling him a "4th receiver" doesn't really reflect his promise. Like Ark says he is a little bit lotto ticket. But if what he showed later last season is an indication he'll be valuable.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:13 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:55 pm

Yep.

Velus is a 4.3 friggin' rocket. And not just track speed - he plays his track speed in pads like few do. And not just straight-line - he's got good vision, is twitchy-quick and can cut back really well. He can run it like an RB and he's got decent hands, and proved he can catch it down field. He can leave Mooney in the dust down field, and is bigger, stronger & more elusive. He's not just a KR - he's a real threat & if the other team kicks it short of the end zone you have to return it.

Calling him a "4th receiver" doesn't really reflect his promise. Like Ark says he is a little bit lotto ticket. But if what he showed later last season is an indication he'll be valuable.
I think it's fair to call him a 4th WR right now as that's the role he will start with. He could explode this year and make the team decide they shouldn't bring back Mooney and/or Claypool (I think at least one will be back unless they both completely fall on their face). But if Mooney, Claypool and Moore do what I think they are capable of, he might not be able to get on the field for more that 10-15 snaps on offense. But with his skill set that could still be a huge bonus for the team.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:13 pmCalling him a "4th receiver" doesn't really reflect his promise.
It shouldn't reflect his promise.
It should (and in my opinion, does) reflect his reality.

If he manages to outplay Claypool or Mooney, then great -- you've got a find. Realistically, I believe someone would have to get injured or soil the bed, though, for that to happen.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wulfy
MVP

Some people must have watched a different Velus Jones Jr (11 days younger than DJ Moore) than I did.
IE
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:07 pm Some people must have watched a different Velus Jones Jr (11 days younger than DJ Moore) than I did.
It's funny because from that I can't tell if you're talking about his early season jitters and mistakes, or his later season explosive plays. They were both real.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I agree with IE.
He had a very ropey start, fumbled a few returns, lost his confidence.
But he came back towards the end of the season. He had a few decent runs, a few decent catches, a touchdown.
For a rookie 3rd rounder, he wasn’t too bad.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

wulfy
MVP

It's one of the reasons why I'm skeptical of WRs from Tennessee - they are incredibly talented, but don't seem well coached to me. Their route trees in particular seem to not well developed. I look at Jalin Hyatt very similarly.

I would like to see Jones contribute as more than just a gadget/ST player - especially with his speed. Coaches also need to know not to automatically run a Jet Sweep with him when he gets on the field.
UOK
Site Admin

wulfy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:57 am

It's one of the reasons why I'm skeptical of WRs from Tennessee - they are incredibly talented, but don't seem well coached to me. Their route trees in particular seem to not well developed. I look at Jalin Hyatt very similarly.

I would like to see Jones contribute as more than just a gadget/ST player - especially with his speed. Coaches also need to know not to automatically run a Jet Sweep with him when he gets on the field.
Plus they want to get PAID to play! "Volunteers" my ass.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:42 am
Plus they want to get PAID to play! "Volunteers" my ass.
Okay, now that's funny. :toast:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:57 am

Without a doubt he needs to step it up, as to the coaches as to the plays they call when he's on the field. Like IE I saw him a better contributor at the end of the season compared to the first. So that gives me hope that his floor is a 4th WR who excels in the return game and gives an explosive play per game on average. But his speed gives him a ceiling that could be much higher. It's a huge year for him but he's clearly behind Mooney, Claypool and Moore. So it may be hard for him to show he's more than the 4th WR I described. But if he can do that, I think '24 could be the year they try to ramp up what he is for the team when one of Mooney or Claypool is allowed to walk.