5%
Tony Pollard (26) @ 9 AAV
2%
None, draft someone to go with Herbert
49%

Total votes: 41
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Just makes it a bit weird (although Poles is not always conventional) to sign 2 RBs in FA if you plan to draft one at #9
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

thefish7
Journeyman

I'm on team Bijan, though it'd be very unconventional. I'd survive a pick of Bijan at 9. Even better would be a trade down to like 15 and then a pick of Bijan...
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:42 am Just makes it a bit weird (although Poles is not always conventional) to sign 2 RBs in FA if you plan to draft one at #9
This is what concerns me.

It's too bad that good old BPA Poles isn't practicing what he preaches about this.

I'd love to hear an argument for Skoronski being a more impactful better pro than Robinson.

If someone is making an argument that Skoronski is going to be a 5 to 7 year high quality LT, then I totally respect that angle.

But if the logic is to draft a RT at 9, I'm not seeing how that's a BPA that warrants passing up someone who could be Marshall Faulk in this offense.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

This guy looks like a day 1 genuine offensive threat.
Draft him in R1 and your run game is set for 5 years barring injury. He also seems like a good receiver.

Then we have 3 other running backs, 4 if you include Ebner, with a ton of other needs. Then there’s VJJ too.

If you can trade back to 17 and 32 from Pittsburgh and get Bijan at 17 then I’m in.

Risk he’s not there so having 3 already mitigates the risk.

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Here's the problem with a running back this early. They have to be a top 5 back within a year or two and by the end of their rookie contract they need to be the best back in football because they will be paid like a top back even on their rookie deal. And by the point the second contract comes around, you really shouldn't be paying them as much as they will want.

And on top of it, running backs get hurt. Take Saquon as a warning. Great back, one of the best in the league, but that pick was a failure by the Giants.

Robinsons got talent. He would be hell of exciting to watch. But odds are far more likely he's a failed pick at 9 then a success. Far far more likely.
dplank
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:38 am Here's the problem with a running back this early. They have to be a top 5 back within a year or two and by the end of their rookie contract they need to be the best back in football because they will be paid like a top back even on their rookie deal. And by the point the second contract comes around, you really shouldn't be paying them as much as they will want.

And on top of it, running backs get hurt. Take Saquon as a warning. Great back, one of the best in the league, but that pick was a failure by the Giants.

Robinsons got talent. He would be hell of exciting to watch. But odds are far more likely he's a failed pick at 9 then a success. Far far more likely.
I agree it’s a luxury pick and we are a team that is still under construction so it’s not a good fit. Plus, we have Foreman and Herbert, which I believe is a solid RBBC. Drafting Bijan benches both those dudes, Bijan is a volume back. It makes no sense to Poles plan IMO.

I don’t worry much about the contract cost side, RBs don’t make enough money for me to worry if he’s a slight overpay by Y4/5.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I believe that Foreman/Herbert/Fields will be the RBs this year. I’d love to have Robinson and even pined for him a bit in the draft forum, but I don’t see spending money on Foreman if they have any intention of taking Robinson at 9.
If we trade down again and the guy is there, and we grab him that would be a huge bonus and I wouldn’t mind at all. Nothing is for certain in the draft.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think a more succinct POV from me is simply that I think a RT will do a lot more for this offense than a RB will. And there are several prospects that fit that RT need where we are picking at 9.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:26 am I think a more succinct POV from me is simply that I think a RT will do a lot more for this offense than a RB will. And there are several prospects that fit that RT need where we are picking at 9.
Honestly, a 1-2 year rental on an older plug and play FA would do more than a rookie that has any kind of learning curve. There aren't any blue chip RTs in the draft this year that I feel like are better than the DE or DT prospects that are available in the same expected ranges.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ultimately what I think happens is another trade down.

Our first few picks are:
R1:9
R2: 55
R3: 65

That's a huge gap from 9 to 55 and I think Poles is going to fill it.

Look for another trade down to the teens in the first and then another second between 9 and 55 with us giving up a low rounder to even it out.

If we're going OL at 9 and standing our ground then the pick is Paris Johnson. He's our LT. I know Braxton Jones is a sacred cow for some people but he can move over to RT depending on how the camp competition goes.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:07 am Ultimately what I think happens is another trade down.

Our first few picks are:

Look for another trade down to the teens in the first and then another second between 9 and 55 with us giving up a low rounder to even it out.

If we're going OL at 9 and standing our ground then the pick is Paris Johnson. He's our LT. I know Braxton Jones is a sacred cow for some people but he can move over to RT depending on how the camp competition goes.
Braxton Jones is an ascending top LT. Why would you assume Paris Johnson can do better when the top LTs in last years draft couldn't do better than Brax? Makes no sense, dude. It isn't sacred cow it's just true. He's real.

Most team's picks are 32 apart so even though the Bear gap is 45 it isn't horrible like having no pick at all in a round. The Bears having TWO seconds (not one) is strength. I agree trading down could help make it even better if they can still get the players they want. I'd also favor trading back up into the first if they have "conviction".
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Brax Jones is no Jack Sanborn :)

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:17 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:07 am Ultimately what I think happens is another trade down.

Our first few picks are:

Braxton Jones is an ascending top LT. Why would you assume Paris Johnson can do better when the top LTs in last years draft couldn't do better than Brax? Makes no sense, dude. It isn't sacred cow it's just true. He's real.

Most team's picks are 32 apart so even though the Bear gap is 45 it isn't horrible like having no pick at all in a round. The Bears having TWO seconds (not one) is strength. I agree trading down could help make it even better if they can still get the players they want. I'd also favor trading back up into the first if they have "conviction".
Braxton Jones is a fifth round draft choice starting at arguably the 2nd most important position on the team for a team that went 3-14. I'm not convinced that he can't be upgraded. I also don't think it upsets the apple cart to draft a proven high performer like Paris Johnson and move Jones over. You never know how camp shakes out either. Maybe Jones beats him handily in camp and Johnson starts at RT. The worst thing that happens is Jones proves himself and then we have studs at the bookend positions on the line.

This team has one true sacred cow. JF1. Everybody else gets the stink eye and if we can upgrade them we do it.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:36 pm Brax Jones is no Jack Sanborn :)
Who is? ;)
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I think the next cult hero coming from nowhere to “Sanborn” is going to be Leatherwood.

In fact he’s my early call for Bears MVP 2023

UOK
Site Admin

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:26 pm I think the next cult hero coming from nowhere to “Sanborn” is going to be Leatherwood.

In fact he’s my early call for Bears MVP 2023
wab
Mod

Man I don’t know. This team still has too many holes at important positions to be drafting a RB in the top 10.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:36 am Man I don’t know. This team still has too many holes at important positions to be drafting a RB in the top 10.
Exactly. That would be an insane use of a top ten pick, especially in this year’s draft.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Between Tyree + Carter on one side of the ball and Paris + Broderick on the other - at least one of these guys (likely 2) will be available to us at 9. All are elite prospects at positions of great need. No need to overthink this one IMO.
wab
Mod

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:44 am
wab wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:36 am Man I don’t know. This team still has too many holes at important positions to be drafting a RB in the top 10.
Exactly. That would be an insane use of a top ten pick, especially in this year’s draft.
From a prospect standpoint, he might be like the 3rd best one in the draft. So I understand the appeal.

But I just can’t get behind it now. A month ago, heck yeah. But a lot has (and hasn’t) happened since then.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Yeah why would anyone want too many elite skill players on the offense - that's always been a recipe for disaster.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
UOK
Site Admin

pus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:12 am Yeah why would anyone want too many elite skill players on the offense - that's always been a recipe for disaster.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

pus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:12 am Yeah why would anyone want too many elite skill players on the offense - that's always been a recipe for disaster.
Does it matter how good the RB is if the RT ends up in his lap as he is taking the handoff?

Herbert - 5.7 ypc
Foreman - 4.5 ypc

How many RBs do they need capable of shouldering the load.

Having a bottom tier RT seems like a lot bigger risk to the offense than a debatable potential upgrade at HB.
Last edited by southdakbearfan on Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
dplank
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:09 am
Does it matter how good the RB is if the RT ends up in his lap as he is taking the handoff?
It also ignores the performance gap from what we currently have. Foreman and Herbert are a pretty darn good pairing IMO. Bijan is probably better (that's not certain at all but giving benefit of doubt here), but how much better than what we have? Not that much. It'd be different if we didn't already have a solid RBBC setup, but the fact is we do.

On the other hand, the current starting RT if the season started today would likely be Larry Borom. That's not good. Paris or Broderick are probably huge upgrades to Borom (also not certainty because rookies never are, but giving the same benefit of doubt here as Bijan).

Then there's also the link effect on OL that doesn't exist with RB in the same manner. I subscribe to the weakest link theory of OL, where the OL unit is only as good as it's worst player. Now I don't take the literally, you can cover up bad players and help them and all that, but as a generalized statement I believe this is true. RB has no such correlation as a position group, only one guy runs the ball at a time vs needing 5 guys blocking in unison.

Bijan takes playing time away from good players. A rookie RT takes playing time away from a bad player.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:15 am

It also ignores the performance gap from what we currently have. Foreman and Herbert are a pretty darn good pairing IMO. Bijan is probably better (that's not certain at all but giving benefit of doubt here), but how much better than what we have? Not that much. It'd be different if we didn't already have a solid RBBC setup, but the fact is we do.

On the other hand, the current starting RT if the season started today would likely be Larry Borom. That's not good. Paris or Broderick are probably huge upgrades to Borom (also not certainty because rookies never are, but giving the same benefit of doubt here as Bijan).

Then there's also the link effect on OL that doesn't exist with RB in the same manner. I subscribe to the weakest link theory of OL, where the OL unit is only as good as it's worst player. Now I don't take the literally, you can cover up bad players and help them and all that, but as a generalized statement I believe this is true. RB has no such correlation as a position group, only one guy runs the ball at a time vs needing 5 guys blocking in unison.

Bijan takes playing time away from good players. A rookie RT takes playing time away from a bad player.
I think very narrowly these points are all true. But I do think the bigger picture is Bijan brings a dynamic ceiling that's pretty rare. If they're serious about say a 2024/25 Super Bowl run a skill group led by Fields/Bijan/Moore has out of world potential. Throw volume at RT or cover in 2024 FA.

I don't want to see Bijan. But part of me does get the sales pitch on him.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Herbert - 5.7 ypc
Foreman - 4.5 ypc

How many RBs do they need capable of shouldering the load.

Having a bottom tier RT seems like a lot bigger risk to the offense than a debatable potential upgrade at HB.
How come it is that everybody always seems to be forgetting about Homer?

The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

The thing is Juice and Foreman are not only NOT chopped liver but are actually high quality. And has been said, we have so many needs that are low quality, it doesn't make logical sense.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
UOK
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:18 pm
More details on Montgomery negotiations and how Poles sees the RBs:
Ryan Poles on David Montgomery leaving: ‘Players do have a choice’

The Bears thought they made a competitive offer to keep running back David Montgomery. Then he signed a three-year deal with the Lions for similar money: $18 million.

“I would just kind of sum it up by saying players do have a choice,” Poles said Monday at the NFL’s annual meetings. “I thought we communicated well, I thought we negotiated well. At the same time, you don’t always know what’s going on in the background. But I thought we did a good job, we were transparent, we were organized and it just, it didn’t happen.”

He presumes Montgomery will be motivated when he faces the Bears twice a year.

“Especially David, right?” he said. “He definitely is going to run with a chip on his shoulder, so we’ll be ready for that. But I communicated with him, too. Happy for him. He’s a guy I’ve respected since he was at Iowa State and I love the way he runs. So, it’s all good.”

The Bears gave former Panthers running back D’Onta Foreman a one-year, $2 million deal to take Montgomery’s place.

“I liked the style and the scheme — that fits well,” he said. “Good vision, burst. I love that he can finish runs with speed. So he’ll have a good opportunity to help us out.”

He’ll rotate with Khalil Herbert.

“I think it’s healthy to have a two-back system, guys that can rotate in and out, different styles like we’ve had before,” he said.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... ta-foreman
Certainly sounds like Monty's departure was about more than the money. I wonder if if the Lions plan to use him more as a feature back rather than as part of a rotation and whether that was a key factor.

This apparent commitment to a two-back system would certainly make drafting Robinson with a top 10 pick a surprise.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Interesting. It seems as if our NFC North rivals hold Montgomery in higher regard than many members of this forum.

Shame he stayed in the division. At least he didn't join the Packers!