Update: Aaron Rodgers tears achilles, done for 2023

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:47 am My guess is that the trade is already informally agreed upon, but the Packers are waiting until the absolute deadline to submit it to the league so that Rodgers loses as much time as possible to get installed in their playbook/etc. He's put them in shitty situations year after year (as far as offseason dramatics, anyway) and now he's basically forcing them to send him to the franchise of his choice. I'm guessing the Packers are also indifferent to stalling because they want it to be as low-key a news day as possible (Friday afternoon news dump is likely) and the return will be something really crappy, like a conditional 4th.
I could see this for sure - I still think they'd rather get it done before the Draft though.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Packers GM Brian Gutekunst doesn't view getting first-round pick as 'necessity' in Aaron Rodgers trade

Although Green Bay general manager Brian Gutekunst joked with reporters at the NFL's Annual League Meeting on Monday that he wants "all the picks," he cleared up that receiving a first-rounder from New York is not a sticking point.

"That's not a necessity," Gutekunst said regarding the Jets' No. 13 overall pick. "But at the same time, the value of the player, he's a premier player. So, I think getting premier picks back for that or players is important."

Perhaps Gutekunst has been taking a more hard-line stance in private negotiations -- or maybe the Jets adding an additional second-round pick (No. 42) to their arsenal through trading wide receiver Elijah Moore shifts the equation -- but no matter the fine details, both teams expressed optimism Monday for an eventual deal.

Gutekunst, who described discussions with Joe Douglas as cordial, also echoed the Jets GM's sentiments on there being no hard deadline.

"Yeah, I think so," he said when asked if they could afford for negotiations to stretch into May or June. "There's not much going on right now. So, I think it has to work for both parties, and we're both committed to figuring that out. It's really kind of in their court right now, so we'll kind of see where it goes."

But for as warm as the current trade discussions were posed, Gutekunst suggested that conversations with his potential ex-quarterback leading up to this moment had been largely non-existent.

"You come out of the season, you have a lot of conversations," Gutekunst said. "Not only with Aaron but with the rest of the team, coaches and everybody. And as you go through that process, you kind of get an idea of where you're going to move as a team. How you're going to go forward. I think I was really looking forward to the conversations with Aaron to see how he fit into that. Those never transpired. So there came a time where we kind of had to make some decisions. So, we went through his representatives to kind of talk to him about where we're going with our team. And at that point, they informed us they would like to be traded to the Jets."

Asked why those vital talks about Rodgers' place within the club's future never took place other than right after the season despite reaching out "many times," Gutekunst answered: "You know, I can't really put it on anybody. They just never did transpire. A lot of attempts and went through that, but at the same time, again, we're always looking out for what's best for the Green Bay Packers. As time went on, we kind of had to move."

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-gm-bri ... cessity-in
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think Rodgers was done when they traded Adams last season, he just had to wait to put the screws to them this off-season.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:18 pm
UOK wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:47 am My guess is that the trade is already informally agreed upon, but the Packers are waiting until the absolute deadline to submit it to the league so that Rodgers loses as much time as possible to get installed in their playbook/etc. He's put them in shitty situations year after year (as far as offseason dramatics, anyway) and now he's basically forcing them to send him to the franchise of his choice. I'm guessing the Packers are also indifferent to stalling because they want it to be as low-key a news day as possible (Friday afternoon news dump is likely) and the return will be something really crappy, like a conditional 4th.
I could see this for sure - I still think they'd rather get it done before the Draft though.
Hackett is the Jet OC, he'll install an offense Rodgers already knows.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

From what people are saying, the holdup is that the Jets want some draft compensation protection in the event that Rodgers does Rodgers things and up and retires after 2023. My guess is that the Jets want whatever 2024 picks they offer to revert back to them in the event he retires, or for example, if the Jets offer a 2024 3rd that can become a 2nd - they'd prefer for it to stay a 3rd if he retires.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

April 17 - the date the Pack starts its offseason training program. According to the agreement between players and owners, the Pack can't keep Rodgers out of their facility if he chooses to use it for training. Could add a bit more pressure if he does so.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Part of me wants to see Rodgers back in Green Bay with a vendetta to take down the franchise for not trading him. That sounds like it would be quiet glorious to witness.

Another part of me can't wait til he's a Jet and the New York media sticks their fangs into him. I'm sure the notoriously thick skinned, even tempered Aaron Rodgers will handle them well....
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

It's called shadenfreude.

Got that from the NYT, which is a side benefit with The Athletic, which plank recommended a while back, as I recall.

:evilgrin:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
wab
Mod

So as I understand it, the Packers can't save any money by trading him until June. So even if there is an agreement in principal, it will likely have to happen after the draft, and involve 2024 picks. Which is why the Jets are rumored to want some sort of draft compensation protection from the Packers against him retiring in 2024.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:32 am So as I understand it, the Packers can't save any money by trading him until June. So even if there is an agreement in principal, it will likely have to happen after the draft, and involve 2024 picks. Which is why the Jets are rumored to want some sort of draft compensation protection from the Packers against him retiring in 2024.
Is that the case?

I thought there was some monster option bonus that has to be paid before Week 1 - but can be paid anytime

But also that basically the contract needs to be reworked anyway

Wouldn't shock me if part of the hold up is Jets wanting Packers to pay some of that

I don't think the Packers have a ton of leverage here - They can be spiteful and hold out as long as possible to keep Rodgers from getting time in with his new team - but I think thats about it in terms of realistic options for them

If they try and force Rodgers I think he'd try the D. Watson hold in method. Hopefully not all the Sexual Assaults though
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

If the Packers get spiteful, Rodgers can really stick it to them capwise by refusing to the trade, making them responsible for massive hits in '23 and '24. I

I believe the Jets want some draft insurance for '25 if Rodgers retires after '24, a pick or 2 coming back to them.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

What a great narrative.

Many thanks, gentlemen, for brightening my morning.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:58 am What a great narrative.

Many thanks, gentlemen, for brightening my morning.
One can only hope the whole thing blows up. Nothing against the Jets but it would sure screw the Pack.
wulfy
MVP

I need an outcome where it ends poorly for both the Packers and Rodgers.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Imagine being the Jets - not getting Rodgers and thus being shut out of the QB market

AND having to pay the likes of Allan Lazard 10 Million a year and getting an OC who is damaged goods too
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:00 pm Imagine being the Jets - not getting Rodgers and thus being shut out of the QB market

AND having to pay the likes of Allan Lazard 10 Million a year and getting an OC who is damaged goods too
I would think they'd quickly pivot and look at Lamar in that situation.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Odell Beckham visiting Jets on Monday; will receive physical, discuss possible Aaron Rodgers-led offense

https://www.nfl.com/news/odell-beckham- ... ssible-aar
Interesting. Spotrac has the Jets with a projected $10m of cap space at the moment (including allowing for their upcoming draft class). They already have Garrett Wilson, last season's Offensive Rookie of the Year, and have signed Hardman and Lazard this offseason. I wonder how much they can offer Beckham. If they do complete the trade for Rodgers they're already going to have to undertake some significant restructuring to get under the cap surely?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Not Jet, but expected: Vegas odds assume QB Rodgers moves east

LAS VEGAS — Jay Kornegay hasn’t just casually observed the ongoing “As Aaron’s World Turns” soap opera of diva quarterback Aaron Rodgers, which appears bound for Broadway.

Two years ago, the executive vice president of the Westgate SuperBook bought into, at competitors’ shops, Rodgers becoming a Bronco.

“He could turn a franchise — a mediocre team with a pretty decent defense and some weapons on offense — into a contender. I still believe in the diva despite his antics off the field and some of the crazy, off-the-wall things he’s done.”

SI.com predicted a Packers-Jets deal being consummated after the first round of the NFL Draft on Thursday, April 27, in Kansas City, Missouri, and before the second round starts on Friday. FS1 reported that the 49ers remain interested in Rodgers.

“It looks like the Packers and Jets are negotiating through the media,” Kornegay said. “Little leaks get out that I think both sides want to get out because both are trying to improve their position. Neither wants to give up more than they need to.

“That makes sense to me.”

LEVERAGE

Green Bay’s SuperBook odds to win Super Bowl LVIII have ballooned from 30-1 to 50-1 since Jan. 23; the Jets’ have been sliced from 40-1 to 12-1.

The shifts are connected despite a trade that not only hasn’t occurred but isn’t expected in the near future.

“No doubt,” Kornegay said, “that those odds are incorporating a Rodgers move specifically to the Jets. The world knows this, even though it hasn’t been made official and there being a chance it might not happen.

“But, as you can imagine, we’re taking money on the Jets.”

The Packers’ odds of winning the NFC have swelled from 10-1 to 22-1; the Jets’ odds of taking the AFC have been chopped from 45-2 to 7-1.

Negotiations continue, Green Bay likely wanting more from New York than the Jets, so far, have been willing to give.

“I certainly anticipate this chess match to go all the way to draft day,” Kornegay said. “That’s what I would do if I were holding the cards. I’d hold out till I get what I want.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... y-gambling
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:24 pm
Odell Beckham visiting Jets on Monday; will receive physical, discuss possible Aaron Rodgers-led offense

https://www.nfl.com/news/odell-beckham- ... ssible-aar
Interesting. Spotrac has the Jets with a projected $10m of cap space at the moment (including allowing for their upcoming draft class). They already have Garrett Wilson, last season's Offensive Rookie of the Year, and have signed Hardman and Lazard this offseason. I wonder how much they can offer Beckham. If they do complete the trade for Rodgers they're already going to have to undertake some significant restructuring to get under the cap surely?
And after all that...
WR Odell Beckham agrees to terms with Ravens on one-year deal, worth up to $18 million

The deal includes a $13.835 million signing bonus, $1.165 million base salary and $3 million in reachable incentives... The veteran will make at least $15 million and as much as $18 million.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/wr-odell-beckh ... llion-deal
wab
Mod

Sounds like the Jets are having second thoughts after Rodgers said that he was "90% retired".
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

It's also not too late for having second thoughts on hiring Nathaniel Hackett as OC!
xyt in the discord chats
LacertineForest
MVP

wab wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:23 pm Sounds like the Jets are having second thoughts after Rodgers said that he was "90% retired".
I'm sure they're trying to drive the price down, but it would be pretty amazing if they were to back out and leave the Packers on the hook for Rodgers' entire deal.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Is Rodgers holding up like 50M of cap spending space for GB right now?
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:20 pm Is Rodgers holding up like 50M of cap spending space for GB right now?
Yep
dplank
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

just the dumbest situation. i'm a bears fan, i'm kind of an expert on dumb situations.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I think the latest is the Pack wanting a 2nd this year, which is reasonable, and a 1st next, which I think the Jets will balk at. At least I hope so.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:49 pm I think the latest is the Pack wanting a 2nd this year, which is reasonable, and a 1st next, which I think the Jets will balk at. At least I hope so.
No way I’d give them a first even in 2050. They have no leverage here.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:00 pm
Grizzled wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:49 pm I think the latest is the Pack wanting a 2nd this year, which is reasonable, and a 1st next, which I think the Jets will balk at. At least I hope so.
No way I’d give them a first even in 2050. They have no leverage here.
God, I hope this deal blows up. Can't stand the Pack and Erin for obvious reasons. Can't stand Woody Johnson for personal reasons.
UOK
Site Admin

It'll get done. They'll either trade him or release him, as the bridge has been burnt.