Top 2023 OL Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:40 pm The kid from Syracuse is actually interesting with the late 2nd/early 3rd pick.
I noticed him as well - liked him better than the Tenn kid too
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:45 pm
wulfy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:40 pm The kid from Syracuse is actually interesting with the late 2nd/early 3rd pick.
Bergeron? Yup, he's pretty good.

I like both of the Oklahoma tackles too. Harrison has great fluidity in his movement, and Morris resembles Braxton Jones build-wise.
I like Bergeron too. He's a more athletic Borom.

I also like the Oklahoma guys. Harrison reminds me a little bit of Leatherwood. Is he a guard? As a tackle, Morris might be the better prospect of the two. His arms are loooooooooong.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

What does anybody know about Joe TIppmann the center from Wisconsin? He was listed as a "freak" heading into the Combine but didn't perform any of the drills there. He's listed at 6'6", 313. Wonder why he didn't at least do the bench?

As to Freeland, he certainly jumped out of the room at the Combine, literally. He seems to have all the physical qualities that Poles is looking for: tall at 6'8" with nearly 34" arms, agile..., but he sure seemed to struggle with inside moves at the Senior Bowl. On the plus side, if you sign McGlinchey as RT and draft Freeland as a developmental RT, you'd know that Jenkins could cover Freeland for inside moves. Also, Freeland could provide competition for Braxton Jones at LT.

Just a thought.
wulfy
MVP

I like Tippman quite a bit - I don't think we are drafting a C as a starter for this year (as I've said, everything I've heard is that the Front Office still really Lucas Patrick and would like to seem him healthy) but more so to groom for '24 as his contract is up after this year.

It's why I see C in the 3rd/4th round versus JMS in the second. I think an exception could be Cody Mauch in the 2nd who many people feel has 5 position versatility.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Some are touting Broderick Jones from Georgia as a better pro prospect than Skoronski and Johnson. But I'm still thinking the Bears don't address this at 9.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:57 am I like Tippman quite a bit - I don't think we are drafting a C as a starter for this year (as I've said, everything I've heard is that the Front Office still really Lucas Patrick and would like to seem him healthy) but more so to groom for '24 as his contract is up after this year.

It's why I see C in the 3rd/4th round versus JMS in the second. I think an exception could be Cody Mauch in the 2nd who many people feel has 5 position versatility.
Wulfy - our 2nds aren't super far away from our 3rd
wulfy
MVP

Yeah, but I don’t think they stay there.
Hoog
Player of the Month

I have 15 prospects at OT (preferred RT), 7 prospects at OC, and 4 tweener OL that I like in this draft.

Three guys I really like at OT for us are Broderick Jones, Anton Harrison, and Darnell Wright. However, I do have Paris Johnson ahead of them, only because I think he is the best LT among the OT's.

At center, the top three seem to be the same no matter where you look, but I think Ricky Stromberg and Alex Forsyth are not too far behind them.

Where I am a bit confused is with my tweeners, who could be RT or OC guys but would be excellent OG prospects as well. Just not sure we need OG in this draft. One of my favorite lineman was Andrew Vorhees, who got injured at the combine and won't play next year. bIf he's available late in the draft, I'd take and stash him for my LG of the future.

Here's my rankings:

OT
1. Paris Johnson, Jr., OSU
2. Broderick Jones, Georgia
3. Anton Harrison, OU
4. Peter Skoronski, NW
5. Darnell Wright, TN
6. Matthew Bergeron, Syracuse
7. Blake Freeland, BYU
8. Wanya Morris, OU
9. Luke Haggard, Indiana
10. Ryan Hayes, UM
11. Jason Kirkland, UW
12. Curtis McClendon, TN-Chatt
13. Richard Gouraige, FL
14. John Ojukwu, BSU
15. Earl Bostic, Jr., Kansas

OC
1. John Michael Schmitz, MN
2. Joe Tippmann, Wisc
3. Luke Wypler, OSU
4. Ricky Stromberg, Ark
5. Alex Forsyth, Oregon
6. Olusesun Oluwatimi, UM
7. Lequinston Sharp, Miss St

Tweeners
1. Andrew Vorhees, OG/RT, USC
2. Cody Mauch, OL, NDSU
3. Braeden Daniels, OG/RT, Utah
4. Atonio Mafi, OG/RT, UCLA
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Nice, @Hoog.

PJJ, Wright, Jones, Harrison, Bergeron, and Morris are respectively my top tackles. (I have Skoronski at G that could potentially convert to C.) Freeland is likely a Day 2 pick, and it's hard to argue with the athleticism and tools, but he's just such a mess skill-wise right now and you have to hope you can coach some of that out of him. My list of Day 3 guys include Warren McClendon, Earl Bostick Jr, and John Ojukwu (the latter two actually older than Braxton Jones, if you can believe it). Also Nick Saldiveri (whom I'd try at RT first after 34 starts there in college, and then kick inside if that doesn't work) and Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu, whom I think can stick at tackle in the pros. From your list, I can't say I'm a Haggard fan — but Aumavae-Laulu might be my version of him, you know? :D — and I think Hayes, Gouraige, and Curtis (it's McClendon Curtis, incidentally, not the other way around) are playing inside at the next level.

I'm fairly upbeat on Stromberg myself, and also rank him as a Day 3 guy just behind the top 3 at C (JMS, Tippmann, and Wypler). I have Jon Gaines II there too — I think he's a C who can play G, not a G who can play C. I see both Forsyth and Oluwatimi as late Day 3-UDFA types; I add Juice Scruggs and Jarrett Patterson to that last group too.

I see Mauch as a strictly inside guy, but I think he'll transition there very well. I also view Braeden Daniels, Tyler Steen, and (maybe) Nick Broeker as potential super-sub guys who might be able to grab and hold a starting job, though I think they'd be the sort you'd always want to replace with someone better.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Another player breakdown from Bearlissimo:

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Draft this guy, he'll make TMP forget Minshew. He's a bruiser, has played all OL positions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:58 pm Draft this guy, he'll make TMP forget Minshew. He's a bruiser, has played all OL positions.
Honey Boo Boo looks terrible
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:58 pm Draft this guy, he'll make TMP forget Minshew. He's a bruiser, has played all OL positions.
He looks a bit "different". But he's getting good grades as a prospect, plays at all 5 positions, is supposed to be a bruiser. Another one who is not expected to last to pick 54.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:25 am
He looks a bit "different". But he's getting good grades as a prospect, plays at all 5 positions, is supposed to be a bruiser. Another one who is not expected to last to pick 54.
They can't all get picked before us
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:31 am
Grizzled wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:25 am

They can't all get picked before us
I don't know, seems like every year some position has an insane run and the better guys get picked. I'd think OT would always be prime for this.
EricTighe
MVP

By list.

At number 9. The only guy I would take and he is still a project but with athletic ability that can't be taught is.
1. BRODERICK JONES OT GEORGIA
40 TIME: 4.97 SECONDS (94%*)
MEASURABLES:
HEIGHT: 6-5 (35%*) WEIGHT: 311 (37%*)
HANDS: 10 5/8 (76%*) ARM: 34 3/4 (67%*)
FORTY: 4.97 (C) (94%*)
10 YARD SPLIT: 1.74 (C) (75%*)
VERTICAL: 30 (C) (74%*)
BROAD JUMP: 108 (C) (79%*)

Everyone else I would trade down.
2. Dawand Jones. I realize this is not perfect scheme fit. But I think he will be the best Tackle in this class in 5 years.
3. Paris Johnson. His tremendous love for Justing would not make me upset if we draft him at 9.
4. O'cyrus Torrence. Could be looking at an HOF career at Guard.
5. Peter Skoronski(dude he was a Packer fan growing up. Huge red flag) I know his grandpa played for the Puckers. Should take him off my list.
6. Cody Mauch- Could be the best center in this class when careers are all said and done.
7. Johm Michael Schmitz- The best center in the class right now.
8. Joe Tippman- Solid, Solid, Solid and mean as hell. Sounds a lot Kruetz when we drafted him.
9. Blake Freeland ( He has experience he just doesn't have the strength to anchor) If he had the strength he would probably be a top 5 pick.
10. Trevor Reid. One of my sleepers in this draft. He has everything you look for in a project. Athletism that screams first rounder. Arm Length, Wing span, quickness and plays beyond the whistle. He needs work on his technique and he needs to eat a lot more burgers. 297lbs. Could be a steal in a year or two.
HEIGHT: 6-5 (35%*) WEIGHT: 297 (9%*)
HANDS: 9 2/8 (15%*) ARM: 34 4/8 (60%*)
SPAN: 84 2/8 (98%*)

There are some players in this draft and let us hope we find one. But if not. Next years class is way better then this years class. Could be 3 guys ranked in the top 15. That includes 2 bona fide Blue chip QB's that would go before anyone in this draft.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Thanks as always Sweetness
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bearlissimo continues his breakdown of the best center prospects:

RichH55
Hall of Famer

It does feel like a very solid Center class overall
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I posted this in the Halas Hall forum, but it belongs just as well here.

Hoog
Player of the Month

At #9, I am down to Tyree Wilson, Johnson, and B Jones. Don't like anyone else at that pick, unless Anderson somehow falls. Make the pick of one of those 3 or move the hell down and look at Wright, Harrison, or Myles Murphy.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:51 pm I posted this in the Halas Hall forum, but it belongs just as well here.

From another angle:

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Eh.
If can move so fantastically, why'd he have to chicken out of workouts, when Jones didn't?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:25 pm Eh.
If can move so fantastically, why'd he have to chicken out of workouts, when Jones didn't?
Meh. I don't typically judge a player for not working out. Their body, their choice. Though it does often seem like the player might have something to hide, they're also not getting paid to work out either. Would it be nice, hell yeah. But Andrew Voorhees situations do sometimes happen. It's a risk.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:31 pm
Moriarty wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:25 pm Eh.
Meh. I don't typically judge a player for not working out. Their body, their choice. Though it does often seem like the player might have something to hide, they're also not getting paid to work out either. Would it be nice, hell yeah. But Andrew Voorhees situations do sometimes happen. It's a risk.
This one I don't agree with (Fine with the whole their body, their choice)

But I think not working out is USUALLY indicative of SOMETHING.

Three main ones:

1) They aren't good at something /want more time to specifically train

2). They are already going like Top 5 so there is no upside to working out

3). Injured in some way

I think #1 is the main one - if you know you are running a 4.6 at WR - wait til Pro Day maybe get it down to 4.5 with favorable track and a few addtional weeks of track specific workouts
EricTighe
MVP

I think D. jones is a freak, but not doing the workouts is very disturbing for a guy no one believes is going in the first round. This is where he can move from the second round into the first.

There is a number 4 reason Rich, that is more common than people think.

They are getting bad advice from their Agents or their people.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:17 pm I think D. jones is a freak, but not doing the workouts is very disturbing for a guy no one believes is going in the first round. This is where he can move from the second round into the first.

There is a number 4 reason Rich, that is more common than people think.

They are getting bad advice from their Agents or their people.
Fair point
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

These clips :love:

xyt in the discord chats