Weight Training Program?

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

TMP, I refer to myself as a Grumpa. I will be the guy yelling at the neighbor kids to stay out of my yard. And for that my house will be the one getting TPed.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

What's up Otis?
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:41 pm
I had an old guy years ago tell me I was fishing wrong.

It's how I learned about slip bobbers and setting specific depths. Usually I would just fish bottom or use a normal bobber.

He had a funny grouchy grandpa kind of demeanor which I absolutely loved because that's what I want to be when I grow up. Right now I'm just a 44 year old grouchy dad.
"fishing wrong"?
You were catching fish correct?
I have an old saying I learned from my gramps:
If it's stupid, but works anyway, it's not stupid"
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:09 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:41 pm
I had an old guy years ago tell me I was fishing wrong.

It's how I learned about slip bobbers and setting specific depths. Usually I would just fish bottom or use a normal bobber.

He had a funny grouchy grandpa kind of demeanor which I absolutely loved because that's what I want to be when I grow up. Right now I'm just a 44 year old grouchy dad.
"fishing wrong"?
You were catching fish correct?
I have an old saying I learned from my gramps:
If it's stupid, but works anyway, it's not stupid"
He wasn't letting things like facts get in the way.

Even though he himself didn't show up until like noon (everybody knows the bite slows down after 8 or 9am only to pick back up again at dusk).

I had been there since 6am because I wanted to spend the day there.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:11 am What's up Otis?
The temperature!! Spring has sprung my man. That means raking the leaves i didn't get in the fall. The start of mowing, other yard work, washing windows, washing and waxing the car. Getting outside and enjoying nature. IT IS ALL GOOD!!!!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I am just about to head to the gym for chest and upper back day and thought I'd throw down some progress.
Legs and arms are progressing beyond expectations.

I can hammer curl 75lb DBs for 3-5 reps, and hit the 110 for behind the head raises.
-Biceps are gaining faster than Triceps by far even though historically my Tris have been stronger.

I had 720 on the leg press (have no idea what the sled weighs) and was hitting reps in the 6-8 range.
I'm gonna start dead lifting next week with hopes to get to 300lbs in a month, and keep my back from popping.

Chest is progressing, but I'm stuck repping 95's and 100's. Might start trying to hit chest 2x a week to give it a kick. seems like I hit a plateau.
Upper back is coming along. Cut out wide-grip pull downs. Shoulder-width and close-grip underhand have hit more areas and been easier on my shoulders.

Speaking of which, I've avoided any major injury in my shoulders this year, just general discomfort and localized weakness that I always deal with.
Watching multiple videos on lifting form and avoiding shoulder pinching has helped me quite a bit.

Been working in the 4-6 rep range for the most part, but some times I'm going over the 6 reps at one weight, but can barely hit 3 on the next heaviest, so just working the extra reps and throwing in a set or two of the heavier weight.

How is working out going for you? Seems like everyone had foot injuries last year...
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well, I am not putting up near the weight that you are but still going strong. Took two weeks off from the gym. The temps were too damn low and the snow made me say, "I will sleep in a little and do some things at home." Got back to the gym this week and the 2 weeks off, even with doing a little at home, has been a killer. I was making gains and it was nice. I am 3 yrs into it (going to a gym) and besides after workout soreness, I feel damn good. I feel much better when working out. On off days I find myself to be sluggish.

I just do machines. I throw in some dumbbell work a little. I have an elbow that is giving me problems. I am still mixing in lifting and cardio. Starting to do some concentrated ab work as well. Still mixing in a push - pull routine (chest press to a seated row; pull up to tricep push, that sort of thing).

I started on some creatine monohydrate a few months back. After about 2 weeks noticed a difference. Seemed like I had a little more stamina. Cycled off that for now.

At 60 and a family history of heart problems, I feel I have to do something.