Multiple Lions suspended, waived for gambling

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Man...they all been drinking the Flint water?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
LacertineForest
MVP

Wow...Idiots.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Is there a team in the NFL more prone to self-sabotage? The Lions are amazing. Just doing Lions things again
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

It's almost as if no one learned anything from Calvin Ridley.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Well, da lions are gonna lion is all I can say.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:15 pm Well, da lions are gonna lion is all I can say.
"In addition to today’s bombshell announcement that four Lions players have been suspended for gambling, ESPN reports that several Lions staff members in various departments were fired last month for violating the gambling policy."

Lions gonna Lion.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

BreadNCircuses wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:38 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:15 pm Well, da lions are gonna lion is all I can say.
"In addition to today’s bombshell announcement that four Lions players have been suspended for gambling, ESPN reports that several Lions staff members in various departments were fired last month for violating the gambling policy."

Lions gonna Lion.

So - players from 3 different teams have been busted for gambling, including a Lion network that was pretty sizeable.

Are they really good at catching people?
Or is this like performance enhancers, where most players do it, and a couple get caught every year.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A bit more detail courtesy of the BBC:
Williams and Berryhill, who will be allowed to take part in off-season and pre-season activities, were suspended for betting from an NFL facility on non-NFL games.

"A league review uncovered no evidence indicating any inside information was used or that any game was compromised in any way," said an NFL statement.

"The gambling policy, which is annually reviewed with all NFL personnel, including players, prohibits anyone in the NFL from engaging in any form of gambling in any club or league facility or venue, including the practice facility."

Cephus and Moore have been released by Lions, with executive vice president and general manager Brad Holmes saying: "These players exhibited decision making that is not consistent with our organisational values and violates league rules.

"We are disappointed by the decision making demonstrated by Stanley and Jameson and will work with both players to ensure they understand the severity of these violations and have clarity on the league rules moving forward."

Full article: https://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/65354787
They drafted Jameson Williams with the 12th overall pick last year and in 6 games he had a grand total of 9 targets and his lone catch was a 41-yarder for a TD. Now this.
His NFL career's not exactly got off to an auspicious start has it?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

So if you have the potential to be a star, you get suspended and stay on the team. If you're a marginal player you get shown the door.

This aspect just like the University of Alabama letting their potential lottery pick still play after he took a gun to someone at 2 am that resulted in the death of another person.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:06 pm So if you have the potential to be a star, you get suspended and stay on the team. If you're a marginal player you get shown the door.

This aspect just like the University of Alabama letting their potential lottery pick still play after he took a gun to someone at 2 am that resulted in the death of another person.
No the two guys that were cut bet on football, the other guys didn’t. They just bet “from inside the building” which is a different violation.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Yep, and a different punishment too. Two are suspended for 6 games and can take part in the off-season and pre-season. Two are suspended indefinitely, which I believe means they'll miss the entire season at least, so there's no reason to retain them when they may not have made the team anyway.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Alex Karras syndrome strikes in Detroit.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Shadow
Assistant Coach

Detroit is always going to Detroit...some way ,some how.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

More players have fallen foul of the NFL's gambling rules...
NFL suspends four players for violating league's gambling policy

The NFL on Thursday announced four players have been suspended for violating the league's gambling policy.

Isaiah Rodgers and Rashod Berry of the Indianapolis Colts and free agent Demetrius Taylor are suspended indefinitely through at least the conclusion of the 2023 season for betting on NFL games in the 2022 season.

Nicholas Petit-Frere of the Tennessee Titans is suspended for the team's first six regular-season games of the 2023 season for betting on non-NFL sports at the club facility.

Rodgers, Berry and Taylor can petition for reinstatement at the conclusion of the 2023 season. The Colts waived Rodgers and Berry following the announcement of their indefinite suspensions.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-suspends-f ... ing-policy
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

These suspensions might be as much state driven and fan duel driven as NFL driven.
FanDuel has prohibited-person language in its house rules, and many states have similar language in their regulations, meaning that people who participate in a sport or have influence on an event are not allowed to bet on that sport.

“Anytime anyone logs into a regulated sports betting app in North America, they’re instantly geolocated,” said Matt Holt, the CEO of U.S. Integrity, one of two companies that work for the NFL to monitor the betting market and report any fishy activity.
-from an article in the Athletic
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

NFL teams used to have a warning sessions on the no-nos of gambling early during training camp. Sounds like they've been jettisoned.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:31 am NFL teams used to have a warning sessions on the no-nos of gambling early during training camp. Sounds like they've been jettisoned.
Actually quite the opposite I think. I heard they’ve gone out of their way to educate players about this. And every team internally should be very motivated, regardless of what the NFL HQ provides, to educate their players to avoid missing time with suspensions
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:56 pm
Grizzled wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:31 am NFL teams used to have a warning sessions on the no-nos of gambling early during training camp. Sounds like they've been jettisoned.
Actually quite the opposite I think. I heard they’ve gone out of their way to educate players about this. And every team internally should be very motivated, regardless of what the NFL HQ provides, to educate their players to avoid missing time with suspensions
The Bears certainly moved swiftly to reiterate the rules to their players.
Bears educate players on NFL’s gambling policy amid busts across league

The first time there was an NFL betting scandal this offseason, Bears coach Matt Eberflus raced to address it with his team. The day after five Lions and one Commander were suspended for violating the NFL’s sports gambling rules in April, Eberflus reminded his team of the league policy.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... n-williams

Bears Players Met With NFL Reps to Discuss League’s Gambling Policy

NFL minicamps have enough going on as is, so I’m sure coaches would rather not have to spend time dealing with something like the league’s gambling policy. And yet, Chicago Bears Head Coach Matt Eberflus confirmed to reporters (h/t Brad Biggs) at Halas Hall that league representatives met with his team regarding the league’s rules regarding gambling.

Full article: https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/20 ... ng-policy/
Hopefully their actions weren't too little too late and none of the Bears players get caught out having already broken the rules.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:56 pm
So, stupid guys who thought they were smarter than the system. The norm.