Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

dplank
Hall of Famer

I was hoping for a single team option dagnabbit
LacertineForest
MVP

Yeah, just came here to post that....not paying for that.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The NFL is just messed up with how they manage their content.

America's Game, to me, should have something much better than this.

In my case, I really like NFL Game Pass (via an app on an Amazon FireStick) after they made changes to the app last season. It's much more stable now.

But even then. NFL Game Pass looks like something that a college IT class made. Very basic and the controls are awful. Fast forwarding works on a hope and a prayer.

The app itself is laggy as heck. I have this problem nowhere else. Yet like I said it's better. The previous version would just lock up. Constantly forget who I am. Crash and go to the FireStick home screen.

I'm just dumb enough to buy it every year because I'll watch up to 3 games during the week. I rewatch our game. I watch what I think is the Game Of The Week. Then maybe another. Since there are no commercials you can rip right through games. There is also a condensed viewing option separate to that and you can watch a sped up game in like 45 minutes or so, but I stick to the broadcast without commercials. Then every now and then I put on a game from years ago. One of ours or a nail biter between two good teams.

Why can't there just be one service? Live games. Game libraries.

It's 2023, WTF is this?
LacertineForest
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:11 am The NFL is just messed up with how they manage their content.

In my case, I really like NFL Game Pass (via an app on an Amazon FireStick) after they made changes to the app last season. It's much more stable now.

But even then. NFL Game Pass looks like something that a college IT class made. Very basic and the controls are awful. Fast forwarding works on a hope and a prayer.

The app itself is laggy as heck. I have this problem nowhere else. Yet like I said it's better. The previous version would just lock up. Constantly forget who I am. Crash and go to the FireStick home screen.

I'm just dumb enough to buy it every year because I'll watch up to 3 games during the week. I rewatch our game. I watch what I think is the Game Of The Week. Then maybe another. Since there are no commercials you can rip right through games. There is also a condensed viewing option separate to that and you can watch a sped up game in like 45 minutes or so, but I stick to the broadcast without commercials. Then every now and then I put on a game from years ago. One of ours or a nail biter between two good teams.

It's 2023, WTF is this?
I had Gamepass the year of the double-doink and I thought it was pretty good, overall. My biggest complaint is that, while you can get through a game in 20 minutes or whatever, I had a hard time remembering much of it. Makes sense given that you're just going play to play without much time to process, watch all the replays, etc.

I also found it annoying that you couldn't consistently rely on games to be available by a certain time. I get there's work to be done to condense the game and all that (although, I can't imagine much - tech should be good enough to simply insert markers during the game when things should be cut, but maybe it's a lot more complicated than that), but if it's a noon game, it'd be nice if you'd be able to watch it by, say 8pm the same day.

Overall, your comment about one service is spot on - the only answer is greed, but you'd think there would be a way to make a ton of money on a really good service.
IE
Hall of Famer

I did the pay early, and am a current subscriber. But yeah - this is highly disappointing, as I'd hope they'd get creative with different options.

@dplank I totally agree the one-team option would be cool. Or maybe some ala cart options. But actually those would require some app development and more granular access controls design that they may have felt they didn't have time to implement this year.

I would think they could construct a menu that would pay them more overall by giving people more options. I hope it comes.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'll consider the $349 nonsubscriber
deal. It's too tortuous to try and get games over a streaming app.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
malk
Head Coach

LacertineForest wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:15 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:11 am The NFL is just messed up with how they manage their content.

It's 2023, WTF is this?
I had Gamepass the year of the double-doink and I thought it was pretty good, overall. My biggest complaint is that, while you can get through a game in 20 minutes or whatever, I had a hard time remembering much of it. Makes sense given that you're just going play to play without much time to process, watch all the replays, etc.

I also found it annoying that you couldn't consistently rely on games to be available by a certain time. I get there's work to be done to condense the game and all that (although, I can't imagine much - tech should be good enough to simply insert markers during the game when things should be cut, but maybe it's a lot more complicated than that), but if it's a noon game, it'd be nice if you'd be able to watch it by, say 8pm the same day.

Overall, your comment about one service is spot on - the only answer is greed, but you'd think there would be a way to make a ton of money on a really good service.
It's funny, my rugby club has a system that films games and that automatically flags certain events. It's a £5k system that any tinpot club can bring in. Obviously the video quality isn't the same but incredible that the software is probably better than what the NFL seems to use!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)