Need DE(s) Today

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Hoog
Pro Bowler

There aren't many DE's left in the draft that can come in and make a difference BUT here are 5 prospects I like going into today that may help.

1. Isaiah McGuire, Mizzou
2. Dylan Horton, TCU
3. Viliami Fehoko, SJS
4. Tavius Robinson, Ole Miss
5. Andre Jones, LaTech

All are more maulers or power rushers than speed guys, except for Tavius Robinson who is a taller slender guy with good speed who just hasn't put it all together yet. He may be the target but I like the disruptors first.
Z Bear
MVP

At this point the Bears need someone thye know can get to the QB, that ain't no one who's getting drafted today. He needs to sign Ngakue or Clowney to go with the collection of edge setters we currently have.
Hoog
Pro Bowler

I'm still in favor of going to get Chase Young if they're only asking a second. Maybe scrap a 3rd in 2024 and 2025? Can't figure the Commanders out though on asking price.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think it’s a trade down to start round 4, a pretty highly rated cb and DL on the board, poles had a night to work the phones, get 2-4’s in return.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Andre Carter II. Raw but physically meets what the Bears are looking for and decent college production. Fehoko is a beast and should be considered in 5 to 7.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Colby Wooden, Auburn and Tyler Lacey, Okie State. Both are big, violent, and played for big time programs, which seems to be a Poles preference.
Hoog
Pro Bowler

Love Colby Wooden but he is identical to Walker and Greene. I wanted him as a 3T but looks like we are going with Dexter and Pickens at DT. Really need more speed or disrupter at DE right now.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Given what we've done in the draft thus far, I don't know that a late round DE helps us much. I think I'd rather see a vet like Ngakoue brought in now to finish off the DL rotation - a smaller pure pass rush guy who plays on pass rush downs only.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:34 am Andre Carter II. Raw but physically meets what the Bears are looking for and decent college production. Fehoko is a beast and should be considered in 5 to 7.
Yeah the payout on Carter could be massive if Flus can develop him.
IE
Hall of Famer

Agree with the "sign a vet" crowd. Bears have some development/developing young guys. Bringing in a pro makes sense here - and Poles has a big wad of cash to do it.

How about this? Trade Jenk and some pick capital to Washington for Young, draft Dawand Jones for RT and plug in Wright at LG. Then draft the best remaining C with the 2nd 4th and how's that for a formidable Oline?

Solves the DE problem and even though Young will cost $$ next year they can handle it for sure.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Mike Morris from Michigan is still available. He's got potential.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Carter (Army) and McGuire (Missouri) are my top remaining DEs. I'd be happy if the Bears land either.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Carter and Dylan Horton are about all that interest me

Carter badly needs a year to get himself in proper shape, but could really explode in yr 2 or 3
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:53 am Carter and Dylan Horton are about all that interest me

Carter badly needs a year to get himself in proper shape, but could really explode in yr 2 or 3
Horton would be a nice get later on, yeah.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

Bears have a stable of young DEs. I think if they feel like they need one, they’ll go the vet route.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:51 am Bears have a stable of young DEs. I think if they feel like they need one, they’ll go the vet route.
We’ve got Dom Rob but I can’t think of any other “young DEs”.

Gipson is a seasoned vet and trending downwards. Who else have we got who’s not a vet?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

wab
Mod

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:28 am
wab wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:51 am Bears have a stable of young DEs. I think if they feel like they need one, they’ll go the vet route.

Gipson is a seasoned vet and trending downwards. Who else have we got who’s not a vet?
Well you aren’t exactly the picture of rationality at this moment, but I’ll indulge you.

Gipson is 25
Robinson is 24
Lewis is 24
Green is 25

Walker is the oldest at 28 and Jalyn Holmes is 27.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:28 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:28 am

Well you aren’t exactly the picture of rationality at this moment, but I’ll indulge you.

Gipson is 25
Robinson is 24
Lewis is 24
Green is 25

Walker is the oldest at 28 and Jalyn Holmes is 27.
Ok young chronologically but they’ve got ‘miles on the clock’ in the NFL. I feel they’ve hit their ceiling and are trending downwards.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

wulfy
MVP

Perhaps this is why Poles didn't reach or trade up for a DE in this year's draft. As good as this year's class was, next year's is expected to be it's equal. (Two good DTs too in Illini's Jer'Zhan Newton and the U's Leonard Taylor - who I love for this defense).

And deeper at the top end:
cbssports.com wrote:Honorable Mention: Bralen Trice, EDGE, Washington
Trice led all of college football in pressures last season with 70, and he accomplished that feat on a mere 335 pass-rushing snaps. That 20.8% pressure-generation rate is in rarefied air. Now, for as uber-slippery as Trice is -- his pass-rush-move arsenal is sprawling -- he's a stocky physical specimen who may not check the burst/athleticism boxes teams want in early-round edge rushers. His production, however, cannot be ignored.

10. Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama
Perfectly on-brand for the Nick Saban era, the Crimson Tide will replace 2020 No. 1 weakside defensive end recruit Will Anderson with Turner, the class of 2021's No. 1 edge recruit, per 247 Sports. We've seen Turner play well over the past two seasons as a regular contributor on Alabama's defense. While he's held his own, he hasn't been outrageously productive. The big-time recruit flashes are absolutely there on film.

8. Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA
There was some thought Latu would've entered his name in the 2023 draft after an enormous 65-pressure campaign for the Bruins. Listed at 6-foot-4 and 265 pounds, Latu has a tall, slenderish frame with plenty of stored power. His body control through contact is outstanding, and he's clearly been coached well as a rusher because he deploys his hands in a creative way on almost every outside pass-rushing attempt.

6. Chop Robinson, EDGE, Penn State
Such an amazing name for an amazing breakout player in 2022. Robinson's a smaller, highly explosive, flexible outside rusher who typically manufactures pressure in a hurry. His games against Auburn, Michigan and Utah were ridiculous. Burst, bend, dip -- it was an athleticism showcase for the Nittany Lions star. He does need to get better and more powerful with his hands. But his traits are through the roof. And you know -- the first round is mainly reserved for the freaky athletes. Kalen King, Penn State's other star cornerback in 2022, has major upside as well.

3. J.T. Tuimoloau, EDGE, Ohio State
While not the most naturally bendy outside rusher on this list, Tuimoloau did flash the ability to slightly tilt his upper body when turning the corner in 2022, and his size, strength, and hand work were much advanced last year at Ohio State. His performance against Penn State was one of the finest in school history -- six tackles, three tackles for loss, two sacks, a forced fumble, two interceptions, a pass breakup, a fumble recovery and a touchdown. Overall, he wasn't ridiculously productive. Tuimoloau pressured the quarterback on 12.1% of his rushes. However, with time to add even more power to his game to have a stellar base bull rush, that efficiency is likely to skyrocket in 2023. At 6-foot-4 and 270 pounds, he has the frame to be picked early in 2024.

1. Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State
Verse probably would've been a late first- or early second-round pick in the 2023 draft had he declared. This is a former SUNY Albany star who transferred to Florida State before the 2022 campaign and exploded onto the scene for the Seminoles. Relentless rush after relentless rush with major power and bend and authoritative hand work, Verse was downright unblockable for most his debut season in Tallahassee.

He wasn't quite the same after his early-season injury, but Verse did return and finished the year with 36 pressures on just 205 pass-rushing snaps. He demolished second-round pick Matthew Bergeron in their matchup in Syracuse and put freaky high-level flashes on film. At 6-foot-4 and 248 pounds with what appears to be long arms and athleticism galore, the sky's the limit for the Seminoles star.
wab
Mod

I like Jack Sawyer a lot. USC Edge Korey Foreman is one to keep an eye on. I could see WV DE Sean Martin having a Kion White type rise.

Other dudes:
Clayton Smith - Oklahoma
Tyler Batty - Yale
Landon Jackson - Arkansas

Not really an edge rusher, but Shemar Turner looks like he's going to be a good one at 3T.
wab
Mod

Xavier Thomas from Clemson is going to rocket up the draft boards, but his size is a bit of a concern. He's probably a LB in the NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think people are sleeping on Trevis Gipson a bit.

Also, sounds like Dom Rob is up to 265 lbs!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:26 pm
I think people are sleeping on Trevis Gipson a bit.

Also, sounds like Dom Rob is up to 265 lbs!
I read an article this morning on the twitter that made it sound like the Bears have such high hopes for Robinson that he is the main reason they didn't take an edge rusher after there was a run on them in the draft.