Top Pick in the Draft

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Despite having only the 3rd best chance for the top pick in the '23 draft, the 'Hawks have secured this pick in the lottery. It's expected that the Hawks will select Connor Bedard, the 17-year-old Canadian forward phenom considered arguably the best prospect to enter the draft since Connor McDavid in 2015. No trading of this draft pick. The only other #1 pick in franchise history: Patrick Kane in 2007.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hellish news, but is just has the feel that a fix was in. I think the NHL realized the league was better and more fruitful when the Hawks were competing. Anxious to see what this kid is going to do in the league. They will definitely need to acquire an on ice body guard for him. The guy looks kind of tiny and he will be roughed up often.
UOK
Site Admin

I was definitely on team rigged, but the process seems to make sense in terms of randomness. That said, if I was a Ducks fan I'd be fucking livid.

I'm still extremely mixed on the Blackhawks at the moment, particularly in regard to so many Blackhawks fans who mock anyone who feels the Kyle Beach thing was a disgrace.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:05 am Hellish news, but is just has the feel that a fix was in. I think the NHL realized the league was better and more fruitful when the Hawks were competing. Anxious to see what this kid is going to do in the league. They will definitely need to acquire an on ice body guard for him. The guy looks kind of tiny and he will be roughed up often.
No smaller than Kane was, right?. Should be fine I think.
karhu
Head Coach

This'll do, yep.

I'd be pissed off, too, if I were a CBJ or Team Disney fan. But man, some folks are losing their minds about this.

The Fix
There wasn't one. Sloppy presentation, sure, but that only goes to show that the NHL couldn't coordinate a felony in broad daylight even if it wanted to. And anyone who really believes that the lottery was rigged is going to have to explain why the league went out of its way to ensure that a slew of recent top picks went to Buffalo and Edmonton.

"Least Deserving Franchise Ever"
I've probably read this 100 times over the last 12 hours, and I always read it in Comic Book Guy's voice. We Hawks fans have needed to wrestle with the Kyle Beach scandal, and we each make our own decisions. All of our Hawks gear--mine and my kids'--is still in storage. Don't know when or if we'll get back to it. I know a guy in the rez next to my town who wears the sweater and has his reasons. My choice, his choice; it's all good.

It's disgusting, though, to read so many shrill, high-minded condemnations of the team from fans of other teams who had absolutely nothing to say when we picked Korchinski and Nazar. That same ugly note is being sounded with the regularity I'd associate with a political disinformation campaign, and it all amounts to using someone else's tragedy to say "I'm disappointed that my favorite hockey team doesn't get to extend a contract offer to a specific player." Gross.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

This kid seems like the truth! Can't wait to see him suit up for The Blackhawks!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bulls have about a 1.7% chance of getting the first pick in tonight's NBA lottery selection. Would it be a first for a city to have 1st pick in 3 different sports?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
UOK
Site Admin

Grizzled wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:46 am The Bulls have about a 1.7% chance of getting the first pick in tonight's NBA lottery selection. Would it be a first for a city to have 1st pick in 3 different sports?
It would be. Houston was close in the 90s, I think, but NBA, NHL, and NFL all in the same offseason I don’t think has ever occurred.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:00 pm
Grizzled wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:46 am The Bulls have about a 1.7% chance of getting the first pick in tonight's NBA lottery selection. Would it be a first for a city to have 1st pick in 3 different sports?
It would be. Houston was close in the 90s, I think, but NBA, NHL, and NFL all in the same offseason I don’t think has ever occurred.
This is what I found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_ ... y,Phillies)%20actually%20won%20the%20championship.

"Philadelphia is the only city to have all four major sports teams (MLB's Phillies, NBA's 76ers, NFL's Eagles, and NHL's Flyers) play in their respective championship game or series in the same season (1980), though only one of the four (Phillies) actually won the championship.[3] The Tampa Bay area, which does not have an NBA team, had all three of its major sports teams (MLB's Rays, NFL's Buccaneers, and NHL's Lightning) play in their respective championships in the 2020 season, with the Lightning and Buccaneers winning the championships."
karhu
Head Coach

Now that was a draft. Poles did a fine job and all, but Kyle from Chicago is the best GM in town. And go figure, the guy with seven world championships is presiding over the ruin of the Sox and Bulls.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.