Justin Fields Megathread - A story of Lovers and Haters

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wulfy
MVP

Who does the voting? Because I’m pretty sure Mike McDaniel would vote him Top 20.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Fields reveals why he's excited about 2023 season

Like the rest of Bears nation, quarterback Justin Fields is fired up about the upgrades that have been made on both sides of the ball this offseason.

"I feel like we've got a lot of pieces on offense and defense," Fields said in an exclusive interview with ChicagoBears.com. "I know everybody's excited [about] really just the whole team and the players we've got. So [we're] just going to keep working, keep stacking each and every day and get better."

"I've known DJ for a little bit now," Fields said. "I can tell he loves the game, he's a hard-worker and, of course, he's talented. He's proven that over the past few years playing with the Panthers. So, it's great to have him; another weapon to add to our offense. He's going to bring a lot of energy, a lot of leadership to the room. Everybody's excited to have him, so it's going to be fun."

On Moore's first night in Chicago following the trade, Fields went out for dinner with the receiver and his family. Fields later attended a Chicago Bulls game with Moore and fellow receivers Darnell Mooney and Chase Claypool.

"I think it's important, being the quarterback, for me to build that camaraderie with everyone," Fields said. "His first night here, I went out to eat with him and his family. That was cool to get to know him a little bit. We didn't know each other that well at that point, but the more time we've spent with each other the more comfortable we've gotten around each other. He's a great person and, of course, a great football player."

Fields is just as fired up about continuing to grow with teammates he worked with last year as they enter their second season under offensive coordinator Luke Getsy.

"I can tell the guys who were in the offense last year are way more comfortable this year with the playbook," Fields said, "and focusing on the defense rather than just the little stuff with the offense because they know it, they know the foundation of it."

Fields revealed that the one aspect of his game he's working on the most this offseason is getting the ball out of his hands quicker.

"Just being more consistent with my quick game stuff," he said. "I feel like down the field I'm pretty accurate. Just being more consistent with getting the ball out faster, being more accurate, giving my wide receivers, my running backs, tight ends a better chance to catch the ball and run for extra yards. I'm focusing pretty hard on that this offseason."

Full article: https://www.chicagobears.com/news/justi ... dpCd00vaZw
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

On this episode of Football Night In Chicago, Bears QB coach Andrew Janocko joins Josh Schrock and Dave Wannstedt to discuss Justin Fields' offseason. Andrew talks about Fields improving his accuracy with better footwork, the offense building chemistry and more.

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I'm getting pretty hyped.
wulfy
MVP

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:11 pm
Happy to see McGruff - still taking a bite out of crime.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:35 pm

Same here.

I've got my areas to bitch about with what Poles did or didn't do in FA and the draft, but I do believe he substantially improved the team.

We did sign a couple high quality LBs.
The trade down was outstanding. Getting DJ Moore changes the whole offense.
I think the draft overall went really well. I'm not a fan of the RB we took and am confused that we didn't draft a C, but whatever, RJ is a Bear now so let's see what he can do.
The division is much weaker now that the Packers are collapsing and the Vikings are breaking apart.
Our schedule is very favorable.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we were a Wild Card team. I think the Lions take the division.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:13 am
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:35 pm

Same here.

I've got my areas to bitch about with what Poles did or didn't do in FA and the draft, but I do believe he substantially improved the team.

I think the draft overall went really well. I'm not a fan of the RB we took and am confused that we didn't draft a C, but whatever, RJ is a Bear now so let's see what he can do.
The division is much weaker now that the Packers are collapsing and the Vikings are breaking apart.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we were a Wild Card team. I think the Lions take the division.
No no no no sir. Not allowed. You must either love everything Poles does or hate everything he does. Your choice bub.
IE
Hall of Famer

Support for a GM sort of necessarily has to be digital - either you like & want to keep the person, or you want to launch them for specific reasons.

IF you want to keep them, you implicitly support what they are doing in general. Dwelling on and nitpicking individual moves especially smaller ones in the big scheme of things is just self-important whining if it is followed by a retreat "... but I like what he's doing for the team".

Everybody by now has things they don't like about what Poles has done. There's nothing wrong with mentioning it now & again - but the incessant criticism of some pet disliked move wears on even the most reasonable people over time. The difference is the frequency and whining level. If you're on board with the guy, speak your mind a couple of times and then friggin drop it.

The strawman of painting others as loving everything he does is just a bad arguing tool & serves no purpose other than to try to poke someone. It is playground name-calling. "So & so has cooties!"
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

Wasn’t talking about you or anyone in particular, take a Xanax homie
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:26 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:13 am

Same here.

No no no no sir. Not allowed. You must either love everything Poles does or hate everything he does. Your choice bub.
LOL.

It's like we have The Tale Of Two General Managers.

The Best of Times: The Draft

First, it is still way too early to have an objective evaluation of last year's draft and obviously this year's.
However, it cannot be argued against that Poles totally murdered that trade down.
Then he gets Philly's 4th next year for free to drop one spot and get his guy Mr. Wright anyway.
Last year he drafted at least two pretty good players with Jones and Brisker. I don't think Gordon plays to his draft position, but if he's a good slot corner then OK fine.
This year's draft looks promising too.

The Worst of Times: FA

The Ogun signing. Good grief.
The Cat Chasing A Laser Pointer that I said earlier about his "strategy" this year. OK, the two LBs are really good players, but we needed DL and DE. The DL guys were there and we still could've signed one and the LBs. For whatever reason Poles sat on his hands with DE too. Spend that fucking money Poles. It's cap space. Use it or lose it.

Somewhere in between all of this are the trades. Roquan Smith (don't get me started) and then Chase Claypool.

I'm not a really big believer in trading future HOF talent in the prime of their career simply because he wants to get paid and Poles just winds up paying another LB anyway. WTF is that?

I really do think Claypool can become a good player and my final decision will be around Halloween about that, but either way he wasn't worth the 32 pick this year and yes cost matters. That could've been Porter Jr. or Foskey.

I like Poles. I think he's a smart guy who has a plan. He comes from a winning organization so he's got a pedigree. I just wish he was better with FA and player trades.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:03 am I like Poles. I think he's a smart guy who has a plan.
Makes sense.

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:03 am I just wish he was better with FA and player trades.
What?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:22 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:03 am I like Poles. I think he's a smart guy who has a plan.
Makes sense.

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:03 am I just wish he was better with FA and player trades.
What?
Can you elaborate? I gave reasons why in the previous post.
IE
Hall of Famer

My current thinking about what I expect from JF1 this season to seal the deal with him being the unquestioned long term QB:

- 3500 yards passing, or over 200 yards per game average
- 63% or better completion percentage
- 27 passing TDs with 12 or fewer INTs (1.5 per game minimum)
- 700 yards rushing
- 8 rushing TDs with 8 or fewer lost fumbles (.5 per game minimum)
- No more than 34 sacks (2 sacks per game max ... I'm attributing a lot of this improvement to the line but also him taking fewer bad sacks and instead throwing it away more)

Plus:
- Demonstrated competence with screen passes/dump-offs to the point where they're like handoffs (as they should be).
- Climbing the pocket when possible during broken plays and anticipating/finding open receivers.
- Demonstration of improvement on throwing guys open on intermediate and long passes, continuing his 9+ intended air yards and increasing the YAC per completion to 6.0 yards.
- Increasing composure and patience being evidenced with more throw-aways (more than one per game) while still maintaining his scrambling aggression.
- Get bad throws down to around 15%, to a range where he is being aggressive but in a bit more control. Increase on target throws closer to 80%.

What do you all think? Reasonable?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Looks good to me except the sacks are too low for a QB that runs a lot. That just comes with the territory, but I agree that he should show awareness improvement with throwing the ball away at times.

Hurts was sacked 38 times last year. He’s our model/hope, so I think < 40 would be great improvement in the sack department.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:47 am
IE wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:22 am

Makes sense.

What?
Can you elaborate? I gave reasons why in the previous post.
Yeah, you don't have to agree with TMP on Poles' moves in FA (I largely don't) to understand his perspective, and you don’t need to think his logic is bollocks to disagree.

It's TMP's opinion. I disagree with it, but that doesn't necessarily invalidate it.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:26 am My current thinking about what I expect from JF1 this season to seal the deal with him being the unquestioned long term QB:

- 700 yards rushing
- No more than 34 sacks (2 sacks per game max ... I'm attributing a lot of this improvement to the line but also him taking fewer bad sacks and instead throwing it away more)

Plus:
- Demonstrated competence with screen passes/dump-offs to the point where they're like handoffs (as they should be).
- Climbing the pocket when possible during broken plays and anticipating/finding open receivers.
- Demonstration of improvement on throwing guys open on intermediate and long passes, continuing his 9+ intended air yards and increasing the YAC per completion to 6.0 yards.
- Increasing composure and patience being evidenced with more throw-aways (more than one per game) while still maintaining his scrambling aggression.
- Get bad throws down to around 15%, to a range where he is being aggressive but in a bit more control. Increase on target throws closer to 80%.

Yes all reasonable.

The one thing I'd add is that JF1 is going to have 3 actual WRs on the field at one time. He's going to have 3 legit reads on those plays. It's going to require quality OL and then patience on JF1's part to take advantage of that. I'm expecting Moore to be a legit #1. Mooney and then Claypool being 2 and 3 who benefit from the coverage given to Moore. Mooney and Claypool should be able to benefit from playing against inferior corners. JF1 is going to need to utilize that and spread the ball around.

So if Moore's numbers stabilize with us that isn't a bad thing. What matters are the total passing yards gained.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:11 am
IE wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:26 am My current thinking about what I expect from JF1 this season to seal the deal with him being the unquestioned long term QB:

- 700 yards rushing

Plus:

Yes all reasonable.

The one thing I'd add is that JF1 is going to have 3 actual WRs on the field at one time. He's going to have 3 legit reads on those plays. It's going to require quality OL and then patience on JF1's part to take advantage of that. I'm expecting Moore to be a legit #1. Mooney and then Claypool being 2 and 3 who benefit from the coverage given to Moore. Mooney and Claypool should be able to benefit from playing against inferior corners. JF1 is going to need to utilize that and spread the ball around.

So if Moore's numbers stabilize with us that isn't a bad thing. What matters are the total passing yards gained.
This is a very solid post.

Very much agree that it isn't Moore's numbers in a vacuum that matter - but his overall impact.

Thanks
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

- 700 yards rushing

Plus:

Definitely reasonable. The only thing I would add would be a "yards per completion" number. Justin needs to show competence in the intermediate (10-20 yards) throws. These are the ones with the most anticipation involved. Throwing into windows, and throwing receivers open. He needs to be averaging 7.5 yards per completion. before YAC.
wulfy
MVP

Coming off of JF1's Saturday graduation from The Ohio State University ..... I think it's fair to say he's all in. (Also, see the Kevin Warren thread for more on that .... )
Yahoo Sports wrote:Fields and Warren boarded a 6:15 p.m. flight back to Chicago.

“He wanted to get back to Chicago so he could get to Halas Hall on Monday for his offseason training and preparation for the season,” Warren said. “To be able to watch him operate and how business-like he was and excited and to see his family, but then for him to get on a plane within three hours after he received his diploma to get back to Chicago to go to work?

“Those are the kind of individuals that you win world championships with — that you win a lot of football games with.”
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Justin Fields: ‘I’m not worried about contracts, I’m worried about wins’

When Fields walked onto the Halas Hall turf for the start of OTAs on Monday, then, it marked the first step in the most important season of his professional life.

“I’m not worried about contracts,” he said Tuesday. “I’m worried about wins.”

General manager Ryan Poles committed himself to one more year of Fields’ development when he traded the No. 1 pick to the Panthers rather than replace Fields with Alabama’s Bryce Young. Fields said Tuesday he never believed the Bears would draft a quarterback, and that he appreciated the team’s show of faith in him.

“It’s just great having that feeling,” he said Tuesday after the second of 12 volunteer OTA practices. “The coaches trust me, I trust them. Everybody in the building knows the kind of leader and person I am.”

“I just try not to make excuses,” Fields said. “I feel like I said this multiple times last year: no matter what the situation is, I’m going to go out there on the field and play my hardest for my teammates, for my coaches.”

Fields was napping when Poles texted to tell him about the Moore trade in March.

“People were blowing up my phone like I just got traded,” he said. “Everybody was excited. DJ brings great talent to this team — just his personality, it fits in well with everybody really from the first day he got here. He’s a hard worker, a great player. His personality, I think just the way he acts around the guys, he just fits in really well with our team.”

Tuesday, Fields found Moore sprinting up the right hash after a double move and launched a beautiful arcing pass into his arms. It’s only May, but it was a reminder of the benefits of Fields having a reliable No. 1 receiver.

“I’m going to, of course, work him more just to get those reps in right now,” Fields said. “So when the season rolls around we’re on the same page, and we have that connection going.”

Moore said, simply, that Fields is “on par to be great for the season.” He’ll be helped if Darnell Mooney returns to form after his ankle injury and Claypool produces the way he did with the Steelers.

“Chase has improved tremendously from the end of last year to now,” Fields said. “That’s one thing I’m truly proud to say — seeing his work ethic, his attitude change. You can just see he’s taking another step, so [I’m] definitely excited for that.”

Head coach Matt Eberflus knew he wanted to emphasize the passing attack more during offseason workouts. Tuesday, the Bears ran 28 plays in 20 minutes during an extended seven-on-seven drill. Fields is focusing on getting through his progressions quickly, and getting his new teammates involved.

“You can just see good execution, that they’re on the same page,” Eberflus said. “You can just feel that rep after rep. It’s the consistency of it. It’s not just one time; it’s pretty much every time.”

At this time last year, Fields was learning the playbook and trying to fix his footwork after the snap. Now he’s trying to take the next step.

He has a long way to go. Last year, the Bears finished dead last in passing yards and completions, and third-to-last in completion percentage. Fields’ passer rating ranked No. 25 in the NFL.

“It’s truly amazing when you have that feeling going in, knowing where your guys are going to be, more comfortable with the footwork …” Fields said. “Having that second-year experience from last year and stuff like that with the same offense is great.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... 3-receiver
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I think (intangibly) the thing about Justin, that is different than any potential starting QB we've had in 20 years, is he exudes leadership and confidence. He comes from a winning program, and is used to being successful. Cutler and Trubisky both came from losing FBS programs. Cutler was a terrible leader, and Biscuits always had the deer in the headlights look about him. There was the series of QB's that had to start, that had NO business starting an NFL game, i.e. Hainey, Clausen, Barkley, Hoyer, Daniel, etc. Some of them were good leaders but just didn't have the physical skills to play the position. I can say with absolute confidence that JF1 is the most talented (both physically and intangibly) QB that his franchise has had in 30+ years. I believe that Poles has put pieces around Justin that will allow him to succeed. Will he put EVERYTHING together in 2023? Probably not, but he will show a lot more than he did last year, and give every indication that we have the right guy under center for the next 10 years. There is also this whisper in the back of my head that is telling me that Justin is the Bears' MJ for the 2020's.... :-D :thumbsup: But I won't let myself live that dream quite yet.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:28 am I think (intangibly) the thing about Justin, that is different than any potential starting QB we've had in 20 years, is he exudes leadership and confidence. He comes from a winning program, and is used to being successful. Cutler and Trubisky both came from losing FBS programs. Cutler was a terrible leader, and Biscuits always had the deer in the headlights look about him. There was the series of QB's that had to start, that had NO business starting an NFL game, i.e. Hainey, Clausen, Barkley, Hoyer, Daniel, etc. Some of them were good leaders but just didn't have the physical skills to play the position. I can say with absolute confidence that JF1 is the most talented (both physically and intangibly) QB that his franchise has had in 30+ years. I believe that Poles has put pieces around Justin that will allow him to succeed. Will he put EVERYTHING together in 2023? Probably not, but he will show a lot more than he did last year, and give every indication that we have the right guy under center for the next 10 years. There is also this whisper in the back of my head that is telling me that Justin is the Bears' MJ for the 2020's.... :-D :thumbsup: But I won't let myself live that dream quite yet.
Live the dream. Justin is the Chosen One. The force is strong with him.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:23 pm Justin is the Chosen One. The force is strong with him.
Oh man, don't say that otherwise this will happen!

"You were the chosen one! It was said that you would destroy the Packers, not join them!"
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Eh - just to be a dick

Reasons he's going to Hall of Fame?

Checks thread - Made flight.

Hall of Fame standards have really gone down since Roquon got in.

(Kudos to the guy for graduating though)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:24 pm Eh - just to be a dick

To confirm. Yes. You are a dick.

That post made no sense at all.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:59 pm
HurricaneBear wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:23 pm Justin is the Chosen One. The force is strong with him.
Oh man, don't say that otherwise this will happen!

"You were the chosen one! It was said that you would destroy the Packers, not join them!"
As terrifying as that is, far more so then anything Anakin ever did, one thing I'm certain of is if Fields achieves what so many of us think he can the Bears will pay him. After so long of a QB drought the Bears QB who breaks thru that glass ceiling will have the franchise by the balls. Even more reason I hope it's Justin as he seems to be a smart reasonable guy. Maybe he can be this generations Brady and settle for "only" 40 million a year instead of 50(or whatever the rate is)

EDIT - HRS....you made me think, does this mean McMahon was Anakin? Worked for the dark side even tho deep down he was always a Jedi/Bear? I must meditate on this unsettling new perspective. Thankfully we have a new hope....
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:14 pm
RichH55 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:24 pm Eh - just to be a dick

We lavish praise on him - sometimes for valid reasons - sometimes for anything but. Flew back to Chicago is pretty low hanging fruit though.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

RichH55 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:55 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:14 pm

We lavish praise on him - sometimes for valid reasons - sometimes for anything but. Flew back to Chicago is pretty low hanging fruit though.
Not one of your best.

To be kind.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.