Update: Aaron Rodgers tears achilles, done for 2023

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:28 am
UOK wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:19 am

The Jets got a 2023 first and a 5th back, so yeah. Not a fleecing.

Plus Rodgers is volatile, dramatic, and a crab who hasn't had experience with NY media. It's a gamble in exchange for 1, maybe 2 years of a guy who may or may not still have it anymore.
Ummm, no that's not correct - the Jets gave up 2 firsts and only got 1 back, so that's a net loss of a 1st round pick. I'm simplifying here and not worrying about the 5th/6th round picks that come and go from both sides, nor am I counting the additional value the Packers got from swapping 1st round picks this year. The net delta of the trade is that the Jets gave up their 2nd rounder this year, and a 1st rounder next year (barring a Rodgers injury). Your note implies that the Packers didn't net an additional first round pick - they did. And a 2nd this year also. That's a lot for a guy that matches the description you just gave for him, which I agree with.

The Packers netted two very high picks from the deal and off loaded a massive contract as well. For a shitty team guy that looks like he may be on the decline. I just think the Jets overpaid, not saying they got fleeced but they did over pay IMO.
Let's review:

JETS RECEIVE
- Aaron Rodgers
- 2023 R1 P15
- 2023 R5 P170

PACKERS RECEIVE
- 2023 R1 P13
- 2023 R2 P42
- 2023 R6 P207
- cond. 2024 R2 that could become a R1

Packers get an improved first-round pick in 2023, a second second-round pick in 2023, and a potential first-round pick (and no less than a second-rounder) in 2024 in exchange for Rodgers and a worse draft slot (by 37 positions) on a Day 3 pick in 2023.

So I'm not sure if we're debating over who won the trade at this point, lol. I don't think either team made off like bandits.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea I'm just surprised that they had to pay that 2024 1st round pick (it's like 90% likely to be the cost there), I thought they could have gotten him just for the 2nd this year. When considering all the factors: age, contract cost, declining play, complete lack of leverage by GB, and general douchebaggery of Rodgers, I just feel like they overpaid and a 2023 2nd round pick should have gotten it done. I agree with ESPN's grade on the trade: Packers get an A, Jets get a C.

I don't see a fleecing either, or that anyone made out like a bandit. I just hate the Packers and wanted to see them get as little as possible.
wab
Mod

spudbear wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:15 pm There's speculation that the Pukers could be looking at one of the top OT's with the bump up in the first round considering the questions surrounding Bakhtari. So it's almost imperative for Poles to take an OT at #9 to help deny them a chance at a top OT.

If you're the Jets GM, what do you do with Zach Wilson? He has pretty much poisoned his status of leader of the offense, and getting Erin was a vote of no-confidence for him. If possible I would wait until Friday evening, see if there are any teams that wanted but did not get a QB, and bargain if they'll give up a 2023 third round pick and a conditional 2nd round pick next year. With the draft depth at TE they could use an upgrade over Conklin, and Erin could be the guy to coach up a rookie TE to help him.
Wilson will almost certainly be traded during the draft. I have no idea what his value is...I could see the Rams maybe giving up a 3rd for him. Maybe Houston wants him if they don't feel like taking Levis or trading for Lance.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I could see them keeping him actually, maybe hoping that he learns sitting behind Rodgers and knowing Rodgers only has a couple years to play.
dplank
Hall of Famer

One big item not yet discussed with the Rodgers trade: I believe the refs will no longer call games unfairly for the Packers as the golden boy is no longer bringing that TV draw to their team. The star treatment will go to some other team, hopefully us when JF1 launches into the stratosphere this upcoming season!!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:46 am Yea I'm just surprised that they had to pay that 2024 1st round pick (it's like 90% likely to be the cost there), I thought they could have gotten him just for the 2nd this year. When considering all the factors: age, contract cost, declining play, complete lack of leverage by GB, and general douchebaggery of Rodgers, I just feel like they overpaid and a 2023 2nd round pick should have gotten it done. I agree with ESPN's grade on the trade: Packers get an A, Jets get a C.

I don't see a fleecing either, or that anyone made out like a bandit. I just hate the Packers and wanted to see them get as little as possible.
I'm surprised by the condition on the 2024 pick. It's basically health rather than performance related. I could have understood it becoming a 1st if the Jets make the playoffs for example or Rodgers is named an All-Pro or even just to the Pro Bowl, but not just because the he avoids injury for two-thirds of the season.
wab
Mod

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:10 pm
dplank wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:46 am Yea I'm just surprised that they had to pay that 2024 1st round pick (it's like 90% likely to be the cost there), I thought they could have gotten him just for the 2nd this year. When considering all the factors: age, contract cost, declining play, complete lack of leverage by GB, and general douchebaggery of Rodgers, I just feel like they overpaid and a 2023 2nd round pick should have gotten it done. I agree with ESPN's grade on the trade: Packers get an A, Jets get a C.

I'm surprised by the condition on the 2024 pick. It's basically health rather than performance related. I could have understood it becoming a 1st if the Jets make the playoffs for example or Rodgers is named an All-Pro or even just to the Pro Bowl, but not just because the he avoids injury for two-thirds of the season.
I think it's less about health and more about protection from him retiring.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:43 pm One big item not yet discussed with the Rodgers trade: I believe the refs will no longer call games unfairly for the Packers as the golden boy is no longer bringing that TV draw to their team. The star treatment will go to some other team, hopefully us when JF1 launches into the stratosphere this upcoming season!!
I hope you're right.

The interesting thing about that is the bias displayed by the refs is a lot of what kept micro-market Green Bay on the map in the league.

That shit hole only has about 100K people living there. Nowhere near anywhere big enough to support a football team let alone one that drifts into obscurity.

If the league allows it, I would love to sit back and watch a decade of irrelevance and the impact that has on that place.

I talked to a Packer fan the other day that was actually GLAD Rodgers was leaving and that Jordan Love was taking his place.

He actually thinks Jordan Love is going to be a great QB.

Those people have no clue how lucky they had it with Favre and Rodgers.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

So essentially Rodgers got traded for 2 2nd round picks. One this year and one next. If he retires or gets injured, it turns into a 1st round pick.

I'm still trying to figure out the math on the contract though. As of this year the Packers owed Rodgers $100M, now the Jets are only on the hook for ~$15M 2023-2026. I also heard that the Packers converted all of the money they owed him into a signing bonus and will hand him $50M in cash or something. It's ridiculous.
marlin
Practice Squad

So it's finally happened. Aaron Rodgers, in his tenure as the Green Bay Packers quarterback, will go down in the history books as having had as many Super Bowl appearances as Rex Grossman.

It's gratifying, yes. But it feels different somehow, than I would have guessed, having waited on this now for well over a decade. What can I say? Sometimes life gives a solemn, knowing nod in our direction. :toast:
LacertineForest
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:59 pmSo essentially Rodgers got traded for 2 2nd round picks. One this year and one next. If he retires or gets injured, it turns into a 1st round pick.
I don't think that's quite right - using the way you've framed it above, it's a 2nd this year and a 1st next year. If he retires or gets injured, the 1st next year becomes a 2nd.

I am guessing the Jets were pushing for the condition to be performance-based, but the Packers wouldn't budge on it and would only add the condition for injury or retirement.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Who cares about the compensation, he is gone! Now hopefully Love can be good enough to give a second contract to but not good enough to ever get the Packers anywhere. They are so overdue for sub par Qb play.....right?
LacertineForest
MVP

dplank
Hall of Famer

Can someone explain the actual cap hits that Rodgers has on GB this year and going forward? And what his cap hit is for the Jets this year and going forward? This article confused the hell out of me.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/363 ... s-jets-cap
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:58 am Can someone explain the actual cap hits that Rodgers has on GB this year and going forward? And what his cap hit is for the Jets this year and going forward? This article confused the hell out of me.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/363 ... s-jets-cap
First of all it was a really poorly written article. I was confused too. Hence my above post asking about the same question. As I understand it, Rodgers is going to cost the Jets a ton of money next year.
marlin
Practice Squad

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:42 pm
dplank wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:43 pm One big item not yet discussed with the Rodgers trade: I believe the refs will no longer call games unfairly for the Packers as the golden boy is no longer bringing that TV draw to their team. The star treatment will go to some other team, hopefully us when JF1 launches into the stratosphere this upcoming season!!
I hope you're right.
The interesting thing about that is the bias displayed by the refs is a lot of what kept micro-market Green Bay on the map in the league.
That shit hole only has about 100K people living there. Nowhere near anywhere big enough to support a football team let alone one that drifts into obscurity.
If the league allows it, I would love to sit back and watch a decade of irrelevance and the impact that has on that place.
I talked to a Packer fan the other day that was actually GLAD Rodgers was leaving and that Jordan Love was taking his place.

Beyond the obvious (me being a Bears fan since childhood), your last statement hits on 90% of the reason I've been especially invested in Rodgers not getting anywhere near another Super Bowl. Packers fans were ingrates and fools 15 years ago too.
The other 10% of the reason was that seemingly everyone was crowning the Packers' 2011 Super Bowl as the first of many :raspberry: I understand how hype works of course, but I still had a sense the media and general public were unappreciative of the difficulty and luck involved in winning even one, much less becoming a dynasty.

I know I compared Rodgers to Grossman earlier, but the truth is it's more gratifying to me that it's also true Rodgers finished with less SB appearances than Favre—and sort of got run out of town. I like to think it's some form of karma.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

marlin wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:27 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:42 pm

I hope you're right.

Beyond the obvious (me being a Bears fan since childhood), your last statement hits on 90% of the reason I've been especially invested in Rodgers not getting anywhere near another Super Bowl. Packers fans were ingrates and fools 15 years ago too.
The other 10% of the reason was that seemingly everyone was crowning the Packers' 2011 Super Bowl as the first of many :raspberry: I understand how hype works of course, but I still had a sense the media and general public were unappreciative of the difficulty and luck involved in winning even one, much less becoming a dynasty.

I know I compared Rodgers to Grossman earlier, but the truth is it's more gratifying to me that it's also true Rodgers finished with less SB appearances than Favre—and sort of got run out of town. I like to think it's some form of karma.
For all of his smugness and hubris, you are spot on. He's been to one Superbowl in 12 years. He has as much to show for his egotistical rantings and astronomical cap hit as Nick Foles does. I think Green Bay was getting tired of his shtick and really wanted to move on.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

There was never a conspiracy to begin with.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Agreed here.

Packers - at least for this year (if you include that they probably could have gotten the Wilson deal last year for him - then they handled it terrilbly) - did better than they should have in the deal

If there was gonna be a 2nd contingent - that should have been on 2024 not 2023
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I agree with DP and TMP in their contention that the league's refs gave Green Bay a competitive advantage by protecting Rogers.

Sorry Rich. You can't change the truth by denying it.

I believe it's true that the NFL is going to see a bit of a cash flow conundrum now that GB has a pedestrian QB, but Chicago's venture into the Arlington Complex should easily overcome the dollar hit for GB's financial and competitive demise.

All good news for Bear fans. Unless Jordan gets an awful, awful lot of Love from the zebra herd.

Pro wrestling in the frozen wasteland, anyone?
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

LacertineForest
MVP

So this post is not 100% Aaron Rodgers related, but I read something today that made me think of him since he dominated the NFC North for so long. Today I found this stat about Mahomes against the AFC West and did a double-take:

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/patric ... s-afc-west

27-3 vs. the AFC West. 27 and 3!!!

For comparison: Rodgers is 59-24-1 against the North. Brady was 90-22 vs. the AFC East.

Has anyone dominated their division so badly? It's unlikely he'll keep up that pace, but talk about utter destruction of his opponents.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Supposedly Rodgers and his agent nixed a trade to the Pats. He wanted to play in New York and get all the publicity playing in the U.S.' biggest city will bring.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

There was probably also an element of being in Brady's shadow in New England that wouldn't appeal. If he were to win a Super Bowl there then it would pale against the 6 Brady won whereas the New York Jets have to go all the way back to Super Bowl III for their last championship. If he leads the Jets to another then it will be a far larger feather in his cap.
dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:22 pm There was probably also an element of being in Brady's shadow in New England that wouldn't appeal. If he were to win a Super Bowl there then it would pale against the 6 Brady won whereas the New York Jets have to go all the way back to Super Bowl III for their last championship. If he leads the Jets to another then it will be a far larger feather in his cap.
The chicks are way hotter in NYC than Boston. That’s probably the reason.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:51 pm The chicks are way hotter in NYC than Boston. That’s probably the reason.
This is Rodgers we're talking about though. Given a) the rumours that have swirled around and b) his most recent 'female companion' I'm not sure that's a factor!
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I think it boils down to where he can get the biggest strokes for his massive ego and no place else has the limelight like NYC.

Oh how I'd love to be in that universe where we beat them in the big one.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

You guys can quit trolling me any time - really have got my hands full right now -maybe I'll have time in Sept
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:51 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:22 pm There was probably also an element of being in Brady's shadow in New England that wouldn't appeal. If he were to win a Super Bowl there then it would pale against the 6 Brady won whereas the New York Jets have to go all the way back to Super Bowl III for their last championship. If he leads the Jets to another then it will be a far larger feather in his cap.
The chicks are way hotter in NYC than Boston. That’s probably the reason.
Did he ever break up with that witch he was dating? If he did then he's an idiot. That's got to be all kinds of fun.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not to shabby for a cover.